• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There are no good players in this vid, good players do not berate casual players in matches
But I'm willing to be that person thinks they are, like most online streamers do.
You shouldn't get worked about DSP like that. He's the most sore loser known to man. He literally blames the spoon when he can't eat noodles with it.
Lol, Never watched his stuff but it was more about the sort of behaviour that seems common with online streamers or people who play a lot online.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
He got there because of noobs like me back in SFIV who wanted to get into a fighting game and learn a character, but not one of those weird charge people, and didn't just want to play as Ryu.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ken is cool and a lot of new players are attracted to him.

What you see with Ken's winning with seemingly random nonsense is a bad player making their bad gameplay work to secure wins.

It's actually very fighting game savy in their own way. :)

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Beyond the flaming shoryuken, Ken can be very oppressive in low rank play. He's a high risk high reward character that can easily and frustratingly punish players whom lack match up knowledge. Also, IMO with his invincible DP, quick confirmable combos, and strong throw game Ken online players can take advantage of Street Fighter 4/5's questionable net code/infrastructure. I feel like Ken is a very fair and challenging character to play locally, but his high pressure online persona earns him the title as a button mashy noob selection.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Back in my SFII arcade days it was because people didn't know how to counter throws, and heavy use of Ken's Hell Wheel would piss people off because it was so flashy.

Once hit a dude with it for a whole round and he was mad as hell.

SaikyoBro

Oct 26, 2017
Am I correct in assuming this was inspired by Brian_F's video today?

I'm the Ken player in the video and I think I can give some insight - I can't say this is the case in every Street Fighter game, but in newer installments the character is honestly designed for players who like Ryu's moves but want easier access to damage and approach. Ryu generally gets faster attacks, better ranged options and oftentimes higher damage, but Ken is given faster walkspeed, easier combos, and more options to make big guesses and get in.

In the video I'm playing pretty autopilot (I had no idea it was Brian and I was fishing for points by this point in the night lmao) but all of the insane risks it looks like I'm taking are honestly less nutty than they look. My only experience vs. Seth is against online Seth players, and two moves they do at random pretty often are the VS1 with the vaccuum effect and the spin kick that's advantageous on block at the cost of slow start-up - the heavy hurricane kicks you see me doing seemingly at "random" are honestly me underestimating the other player and trying to hit him. Is it a risk? Of course, but I'm eating a jab combo punish at worst and an anti-air at best! The same goes for Ken's EX divekicks which are similarly useful for clearing over projectiles or catching moves on the ground with slow start-up. Any character has the option to take similar risks by jumping in, but some of Ken's special moves, by design, let him mix up these approaches and get in "for free". Other characters have similar (and stronger) options in terms of movement and making big gambles but with other drawbacks - Cammy and Karin for example have lower health and you're not going to catch either of them throwing a hadouken.

Then you have other games like Smash where Ryu's Shoryuken kills earlier, but only if you land the sweetspot - Ken's kills later, but the attack has huge knockback no matter what angle it catches you from. They're both designed as entry-level characters (and don't get me wrong, seeing either of them played at top-level is as entertainingly Street Fighter as Street Fighter gets) but Ken is actively encouraged to play in a more high-risk way. In the wrong hands, the character ends up looking as scrubby as you would expect. Hope this was insightful!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that flowchart - first time I've seen it, that is awesome.
flowchart.png

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
The low ranked players noobs play against don't know how to punish his DPs. His light DP recovers pretty fast.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I suck at SF and that flowchart is accurate because I pick Ken.

Simply looks better than Ryu. Red is cooler. Fire is cooler. Long hair blondie Ken is the best.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Ah ah ah I remember playing against the infamous Blackhawkdown back in the days, fun times !

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
One of his better combos now is tatsu -light dp-ex dp..the game literally rewards you for mashing out 3 specials in a row! how can he not be loved by noobs??

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Beyond the flaming shoryuken, Ken can be very oppressive in low rank play. He's a high risk high reward character that can easily and frustratingly punish players whom lack match up knowledge. Also, IMO with his invincible DP, quick confirmable combos, and strong throw game Ken online players can take advantage of Street Fighter 4/5's questionable net code/infrastructure. I feel like Ken is a very fair and challenging character to play locally, but his high pressure online persona earns him the title as a button mashy noob selection.
Yeah, Ken can make quick work of people that don't make any attempt to block (i.e. the entire bronze tier). And you don't need much execution skill to get high damage output since his specials hit so hard.

Dhalsim is probably the real scrub killer though, since no one really consciously learns how to play in neutral until the high tiers. You don't need high damage if you don't get punished for fraudulent limbs.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Back in my SFII arcade days it was because people didn't know how to counter throws, and heavy use of Ken's Hell Wheel would piss people off because it was so flashy.

Once hit a dude with it for a whole round and he was mad as hell.

Sounds like you should have picked Blanka.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Because he's just a cooler version of Ryu. Like who's gonna pick Ryu when you got Ken.
Ken is the most popular Street Fighter character for a reason.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Yeah, Ken can make quick work of people that don't make any attempt to block (i.e. the entire bronze tier). And you don't need much execution skill to get high damage output since his specials hit so hard.

Dhalsim is probably the real scrub killer though, since no one really consciously learns how to play in neutral until the high tiers. You don't need high damage if you don't get punished for fraudulent limbs.
Yeah, if a player is unfamiliar with the match up, Dhalsim can clean up in the most frustrating way. Maybe the most puzzle box characters in the game? I remember hating to fight him when I was little since I wasn't able to grasp the importance of positioning and patience against a character like that (admittedly still frequently strike out against Sim now).

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The regional terms people use for sf moves is always hilarious and interesting.

Hell wheel? Lol. Is that a tatsu?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe Flowchart Ken is over 10 years old, fuck lmao

Some good times there.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The regional terms people use for sf moves is always hilarious and interesting.

Hell wheel? Lol. Is that a tatsu?

Its the back throw. That name also made it into smash.

But my favorite name for a move is "I'D LIKE SOME POUND CAKE" which came about as a egoraptor joke about how fast they spit out Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To this day I still don't know why Ken got the Fire Shoryuken and not Ryu.

Only reason I can think is he had the fireball graphic glitch and they were like "Well we can't give him a fire shoryu now, he has that glitch we have to make into a real move instead"

Cause Ryu got the fire-fireball, duh

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I was always a very casual SF player, never looked up tier lists, combos, etc. Always picked Ken. Then I saw that he's considered the "noob" pick, and thought "Yes, this makes sense." I figured somehow the SF community found out that I picked Ken, and decided he was the noob because of that.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Ken has the reach with that dragon punch, people loved that since SF2 Turbo? Is that when it came in?

plus better stage music than Ryu imo

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think it really became the newb choice when they put the DP shortcut in. Because most new players can't do a DP straight out.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Because the AI is programmed to DP every time. But if you have the right read, it's never a problem

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
His tatsu is barely punishable and you can bait for a dp right after, easy pressure and easy get out of tight situations with dp.

Basically you can go nuts with just two moves on a casual level. It's so funny that even his AI from old games 'till the new ones play like nuts just to bait you into a dp or super.

And yeah, shoryuken on fire.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The "noob character" is usually just a character that makes it easy to do flashy shit early with. Ken's normals are easy to cancel into his specials without too much punishment, he has a couple mash friendly combos and shoryuken gets you out of a pinch while looking dope as fuck.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Ken is higher execution than Ryu in SFV. I think people feel drawn to him because of the fire and the animation for heavy tatsu is nice and can catch people off guard if used randomly.
Wait what's the dragon punch shortcut? All the movement ever was Forward - fireball motion basically. They over complicated it when they drew it out on the joystick map imo
Down forward, down, down forward