• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeenaud

Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
...I can go back and read your post right now, you said

Which is what people are responding to. That's making a specific claim about the game, it's different from saying "I personally didn't enjoy the controls, I prefered Samus Returns' control scheme" which no one would have had an issue with.
Sorry if I wasn't clear english isn't my first language and when I said feels like I meant controls like.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight is better than Super Metroid imo.

That's not to take anything away from Super Metroid, I mean it's the progenitor of it all. Hollow Knight really refined everything. I guess there are some things a Metroid fan may dislike, like the masochistic boss rush stuff in the final dlc. That's just optional content though anyway. Same with the White Palace super meat boy stuff

I think hollow knight is a better game overall.

I would give the white palace a pass, as it becomes fairly easy if you get the hiveblood charm from the hive. This adds a metroidvania approach to solving the problem.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Any others you recommend?

Untitled Story by Matt Thorson of Celeste fame is very good, but super hard. Not sure I ever beat it, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Within a Deep Forest is another one like Lyle with a strange central mechanic. You're a bouncing ball, and all the power ups are different ball materials.

Those two are the first to pop into my head, but I'll do some more digging.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
HK has leveled up the genre for sure. I feel like being a Metroid alike is now not enough. HK took this type of game a showed it can be made to be more than just a simple 10 hour romp. The games can be bigger more modern and more epic in scope. I love the classics as much as anyone but the formula has been understood for a while now.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Hollow Knight > Super Metroid imo. I also like the Ori games more, but those are barely metroidvanias. I'm surprised at so many people saying Axiom Verge. I liked it well enough, but I'd put it near the bottom of all the Metroidvanias I've played. Amazing OST though.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How does me not enjoying something not make sense, the flash comment was just me trying to get people a comparison to see what I didn't like about the controls It's the closest and easiest comparison I could think of and was not meant to be taken that seriously.

The original post was that it "feels like a flash game" which you then explained was due to the controls. Which is a vague explanation that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. What are the distinct characteristics of flash game controls that are so different from any other Metroidvania that is a side-scroller to say Hollow Knight "feels like a flash game".

It just feels like you have a vague explanation as to why you don't like thing that doesn't actually explain the stance. Which is the case for most explanations for why someone doesn't like thing.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hollow Knight feels like a flash game

So this looks like a flash game?

Hj6siEbh.jpg

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Have you played Hollow Knight? Metroid is one of my favorite franchises and I think Hollow Knight outclasses all of the 2D metroids.

In addition, Metroid has been on a mediocre streak recently. The last game that truly impressed me was Metroid Prime 2. There have been an insane amount of quality titles in the metroid genre since Metroid went in the dumps.

We'll see what happens with Prime 4.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Hold on folks, maybe this dude knows of some banger flash games and is holding out... thats gotta be it, right?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Hollow Knight is close to being as good as a Metroid game. Close. Doesn't quite match it though. It's still excellent. Nintendo is hard to top

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we actually have that many Metroid clones. Axiom Verge comes to mind, but it's far more common for entries in the genre to find their own voice and intentionally differentiate themselves from Metroid's specific style.

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
Hollow knight is the best metroidvania ever and both Ori games are *at least* as good as the best metroid games imo, so idk what to tell you OP, perhaps you are just so attached to the specific characteristics of metroid games, which is fine, but far from making the rest of metroidvania games not up to par with them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be honest I think Super Metroid is a hard bar to reach when most of the following Metroid games in the next 25 years didn't reach it either.

It's interesting that, considering how popular these exploratory platform games are, the 'RPG elements' of being able to level-up, increase strength and brute-force your way through, started by SotN, has become a lot more popular than the 'weapons, tools and upgrades only' approach of Metroid.

For me, Hollow Knight is in the same tier as Super Metroid. Both have flaws but they are relatively minor, and both are incredibly atmospheric.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Cause you're just wrong. Plenty of the games mentioned in this thread are better than any of the Metroid games.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I think a lot of games have surpassed (the 2D) Metroid games, especially in terms of control and gameplay.

I can't think of a single 2D Metroid game that I actually enjoy specifically for the combat. That aspect has always felt serviceable at best, clunky most of the time, and at worst actively irritating (like Samus Returns for me, didn't like the parry mechanic at all, felt so overused even in the short time I played it).

I actually appreciate the leveling and weapon upgrade mechanics in the more "Vania" style games because it actually gives me a reason to engage with fighting enemies and not just skip them whenever I can like in 2D Metroid games. Especially the DS Castlevania's where you get abilities as random drops that give you all new combat abilities/spells (whatever they were called).
And I've never played a Metroidvania with leveling mechanics that I broke the balance unless I was ACTIVELY trying to by grinding for levels, and it's not like in Metroid games you can find most of the the missile and health upgrades (don't even need all of them) and be basically unkillable by the end.

It doesn't take away from the permanent upgrades at all IMO since those are still needed to traverse and explore the world.
I can't agree at all. Samus Returns IMO is worse than many small indie games. The combat changes are unnecessary and break the flow of exploration. Stopping to counter enemies every few seconds is not Inter gameplay. The level design is very poor for a Metroid game, and the incentives for exploration are weak. I know seeing a not terrible Metroid game after a decade of silence and Other M and MPFF really threw people for a loop but that game does not stand with the rest of the franchise. And I don't even love Hollow Knight as much as many people seem to.
Yeah, I only played Samus Returns for a few hours before dropping it. The first Metroid game I've ever done that with.

The fan made AM2R was the superior Metroid 2 remake IMO. I probably would have finished SR had I not played it after AM2R, but it just felt inferior to me in every way (didn't like the look of it or how the combat felt).

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Samus Returns is way better than any of these. Hollow Knight feels like a flash game, SR actually managed to improve the combat with both the counters and 360 aiming.
As bad of a take as this is, I sort of get it. I hated the look of HK before I actually played it. Now I'm 100% sold and love the way it looks, but it took being immersed in the world and seeing it in motion for me.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I just came in here saying to all the people mentioning Hollow Knight.

No, just no.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
OP sounds a bit biased to be honest

Like I just replayed super metroid, great game, atmosphere, secrets etc...but the idea that no game in the last 25 years has reached that high is asinine.

Hollow Knight, Ori, Steamworld dig, Axiom etc... so many games have done so much to differentiate and expand the genre and build on Super Metroid. In fact I would say metroid games themselves have stagnated not the competition.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It was years ago I played Super Metroid. But I enjoyed Axiom Verge more than it. But I should probably play Super Metroid again.

Imo its on par or better. I'm not a big of the choice to include those random secret areas per playthrough but that's a really minor thing.

Lots of people disagree though, although I've never really seen any critiques that go into why.

I'm actually really curious if OP Wariobenotware has played it. If you don't want RPG mechanics or story and are looking for a more "pure" Metroid replacement the list of games is actually pretty short. I'm not even sure which games besides Axiom might apply to his criteria... Momodora? Yoku's Island Express except that it's clearly quite different?

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Because none of them nail the pacing, sense of progression, quick snappy gameplay without RPG stats, and exquisite atmosphere.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Super Metroid is the greatest game of all time so it makes sense that no one, including Nintendo, can match it.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Imo its on par or better. I'm not a big of the choice to include those random secret areas per playthrough but that's a really minor thing.

Lots of people disagree though, although I've never really seen any critiques that go into why.
My main problem with axiom verge (playing through it right now) is that the environments are unvaried and uninteresting. Which, in a Metroidvania, is kinda a glaring flaw imo. The gameplay is great, but I'm not really invested in exploring because of how dull everything looks

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Ori is probably the best Metroidvania game, and it's largely because it focuses more on platforming than the "Metroidvania" formula (it also has the best art style of these games). You could also make a case for Metroid Prime 2 but that's more because of story/atmosphere and non-gameplay reasons.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I truly wish I could get into Hollow knight the way that other fans of the genre seem to. But what I actually wish is that Hollow Knight didn't take quiiiite so much inspiration from Dark Souls and just made it enjoyable to actually spend time in that world. It's also just like 2-3x the length that I want a good Metroid-like to be. I got 20 hours in before I realized that I wasn't anywhere close to finishing and just sorta turned it off.

For those like me who did not click with Hollow Knight, what other modern Metroid-likes do you enjoy? I do still love the genre, but I don't really care for the intermingling of Soulsborne gameplay elements that seems so prevalent these days, and I especially do not care for incorporating the ethos of Soulsbornes (ie: the player must be punished at every turn or it's not rewarding).

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
"Not as good as Super Metroid" doesn't constitute criticism as you can't top perfection. The other Metroids all have their flaws as do the games that have been listed in this thread.
Hollow Knight comes very close, but some design choices, and a certain lack of... let's say elegance and simplicity makes it a slightly inferior experience

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Hollow Knight and Ori 2 surpassed Metroid for me.
But I don`t want to be disrespectful to the classic, Super Metroid still has a special place in my gaming heart.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I'm so glad this turned into another stupid Hollow Knight debate thread. We're really treading some new ground here.

To add to my previous list, I'd say that Hero Core by Daniel Remar is also a fun little game.

2 by Hubol is like Metroid on acid.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I think the last Metroid game released, Samus Returns, was pretty meh. So I don't think Metroid is untouchable, especially because of the Metroidvania indie games that have risen to greatness in the past few years.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I think the same thing every time I'm tricked into playing something like hollow knight.
I loved Ori though...
still ... it's no super metroid.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Another vote for Axiom Verge. There have been plenty of Metroidvania style games, but that one has been my favorite so far. Bloodstained ROTN is up there for me too.

Jan 11, 2018
In terms of the Sands Trillogy only Warrior Within is a Metroid like. Sands of time, Two Thrones and the PS3 Forgotten Sands (The Wii version is apparently a different game) are all relatively linear experiences. They are actually very comparable to how the Metroid Prime Trillogy was recieved. Sands is a GOAT level game. Warrior is like MP2, harder and darker, and Two Thrones is very MP3 even down to the corruption mechanic

They hold up pretty well. definitely worth a visit. (especially Sands and Warrior)

Agree on Skyward Sword, the Map and backtracking was yeah... not great. Loved it as a game though.

Other more modern games that i would attribute 3D Metroidlike design too.

Tomb Raider 2013: You've probably played it, or seen the film. Greater focus on Setpieces, Minor Metroid like elements/Backtracking with new abilities, you don't get much in the way of Movement upgrades

Mirrors Edge Catalyst. Not the best game but interesting in its own right. Metroidesque design seems more accidental then intentional due to trying to make an open world game via the Frostbyte engine.

Destiny Series: There's a lot to disect here but most of its best elements it shares with The Metroid Prime games.

Also Borderlands the Pre Sequel deserves a shout out

Nice. I quite like Tomb Raider 2013 a lot (though I can't say I was thrilled by the sequels). I played the original Mirrors Edge but not Catalyst, and thinking of checking it out. Destiny I don't have much interest in, I'm mostly just a single player guy. There are a lot of 3D games that touch on aspects of the Prime series, but in my opinion nothing has really come close that I've seen.

It's always weird to me when people say something like Doom 2016 feels like Prime. Like, what? Doom is entirely about shooting and killing monsters in arenas, with fast, fluid movement. Prime is about careful exploration, pathfinding, investigating the environment and enemies, puzzle solving, and action. I do understand the Souls comparisons to some degree, but to me the comparison is more apt to the original NES Metroid, or even Metroid II where they just drop you in with very little context and you are set off to explore giant areas with no map. What it DOES have in common with the Prime games though is that, at least to me, the main focus of the game is world building, level design, and atmosphere. And in that regard, simply existing in the Souls worlds sometimes feels Primesque.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
My main problem with axiom verge (playing through it right now) is that the environments are unvaried and uninteresting. Which, in a Metroidvania, is kinda a glaring flaw imo. The gameplay is great, but I'm not really invested in exploring because of how dull everything looks

How far are you? I can see this for maybe the first 2, maybe 3 areas. Was going to post some screenshots but I don't want to spoil you. Compared with Super Metroid I'd see it's nearly as varied if not equally.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Super Metroid has been usurped as being the best Metroidvania but there are games ( even other Metroid games) I personally prefer to replay over it. Metroid Prime and Zero Mission come to mind and SoTN as well.

Whoever said Hollow Knight plays like a flash game is insane. Hollow Knight is a top ten game in the genre. Its not high on my personal top ten list but its excellent. What a unique environment and atmosphere!

How far are you? I can see this for maybe the first 2, maybe 3 areas. Was going to post some screenshots but I don't want to spoil you. Compared with Super Metroid I'd see it's nearly as varied if not equally.
I think this is my problem with the game. Ive purchased it on every platform that its released for and still cant make myself enjoy it. I have a close friend who loves this game and I keep trying for him. Basically I'm and idiot.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I'm a reasonably big fan of Metroidvanias despite the fact that the only actual Metroid I've played is Fusion and I wound up quitting that in annoyance when I realised I'd reached a point of no return, presumably right before the last boss.

I fully agree agree with the bloat comments towards Hollow Knight, I'd probably have loved it if it were half the size. As it is, I'm probably a few hours out from 107%ing it (or whatever you get up to without needing to do the junkyard boss rush section) and I've reached a point with the game where the thought of even turning it on makes me feel tired.

I'd say the two Metroidvanias I've enjoyed the most have been Shadow Complex (not played since the 360, it may not hold up so well now) and the Strider reboot (although that may have worked on me by tickling my nostalgia bone).

I'd also give a quick shout to VVVVVV which, while not strictly Metroid or Metroidvania, felt quite similar with the whole filling in the map exploration and is a nice tight couple of hours with a great central mechanic (you don't jump, you reverse gravity).

Still got Monster Boy and Ori 2 in my pile of shame. Sounds like I should probably add Axiom Verge to that too. And maybe finally play Super Metroid.

Ocaso

Aug 23, 2018
The best Metroid games derive much (I'd argue the bulk) of their appeal on unraveling an obfuscated path forward. This is true of the 3D games and 2D games. My preferred method for describing them is as pathfinding games. The door keys are abilities, and the levels are mazes. They are very unique.

Some so-called Metroidvanias have kept this element but built other systems on top. I'd argue that's true of SotN, which had a very maze-like castle.

Others, like Cave Story or the Ori games don't obfuscate the path forward much at all. These are great games, but they lack part of the appeal of the best Metroid games. They have the locks and keys but not the maze.

It's hard to build a gated maze. I think that's why the bulk of these lite Metroidvanias don't really incorporate it.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
To throw another name into the ring: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet was a good one without RPG elements and w/o much story. Not a traditional platformer type like Metroid though.

I think this is my problem with the game. Ive purchased it on every platform that its released for and still cant make myself enjoy it. I have a close friend who loves this game and I keep trying for him. Basically I'm and idiot.

If you've got the Labcoat and made it to Kur and still are not enjoying it I'd say it's just not for you. I personally enjoyed it before that, although I did start on hard and had to restart because it was too much for me.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Personally I think atmosphere is a big one. The atmosphere in Super Metroid is unrivaled, IMO.
I was going to post the same thing and add that level design in Metroid games is unparalleled. That's only exasperated when many more modern games uses random level layouts. It takes away from that pacing and atmosphere that Metroid does so well.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime is the best game of all time.

"Why doesn't someone just make the new best game of all time?" - Not that easy. Especially when the trend in gaming is that bloat, unstructured progression, and massive feature lists are considered to be good things.