• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 24, 2019
For example Bioware's bread and butter are Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Bethesda's tentpoles are Fallout and Elder Scrolls. CDPR is jumping on the wagon with Witcher and now Cyberpunk.

It's interesting to me that these big RPG studios almost always choose to have one big fantasy franchise and one big sci-fi franchise. They may dabble in other things as well, but these tend to be their bedrock.

It's almost like chocolate and peanut butter - why do you think that is? Why does this pairing seem to be so common when they could just as easily make a horror RPG or a historical RPG or a mythological RPG, etc.?

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of overlap between fantasy and scifi fans when it comes to movies and shows---think of what gets big attendance, cosplayers etc. at DragonCon and similar events.

Lots of overlap between fans of those things and gamers who love RPGs as RPGs are as close as you get to playing an scifi or fantasy novel/show/movie.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I have no clue but my guess would be because its the most simple biggest contrast to not burn out your devs on the same thing over and over again?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like going scifi and fantasy feels like more variety than fantasy and historical / mythological which can all kind of have blurry lines. Also lets them stick to their strength of making RPGs.

And I guess just because a horror RPG probably wouldn't be as populsar.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Not sure but I am very down for a Horror RPG, maybe from a smaller team like Spiders or two teams working together like a FromSoftware and Sony Japan or Playground Games

Oct 27, 2017
There's lots of Sci-Fi and Fantasy fiction in general, from books to movies, to draw from as inspirations. Much harder to create something new that breaks the mold. That being said, even among Sci-Fi settings there is a lot of room for variation, looking at Mass Effect, Fallout, and Cyberpunk in your examples. Space opera versus post-apocalyptic versus, well, cyberpunk which are all very different visually and tonally.

Oct 26, 2017
Well Obsidian did several RPGs touching different settings and themes.

Alpha Protocol, The Outer Worlds, South Park, FNV, Pillars of Eternity and Vampire The Masquerade if we want to count Troika as well

Different settings and themes.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Nerds like fantasy. Nerds like sci-fi. So it would be reasonable to assume that they may want to work on both.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really wish Obsidian would try again with their attempt at a Spy/Espionage RPG only with a AAA budget from MS. Especially since you don't have Spy/Espionage AAA games like you used to have with Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell,

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
Really wish Obsidian would try again with their attempt at a Spy/Espionage RPG only with a AAA budget from MS. Especially since you don't have Spy/Espionage AAA games like you used to have with Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell,

Who knows, now that they have M$ money maybe they'll try again! a spy/espionage RPG would be very cool & refreshing

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Think about the ground those genres cover though. In the OP space opera, cyberpunk, and dystopian postapolcalyptic alternate history all fall under the general 'sci fi' umbrella.

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
The mentioned examples - Mass Effect, Cyberpunk 2077, and Fallout - couldn't be more different from each other. If anything, we have way too many fantasy RPGs and not nearly enough sci-fi RPGs (like Mass Effect). I'm hoping Starfield will be good because the only thing we got on the sci-fi side of things after ME is The Outer Worlds.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I guess these are just well worn, tried and tested genres that have been a big part of RPG right back from when they were only board games.

I guess the genre need for different abilities, races and environments fits a non-realistic world a bit better.
It also contextualises basic stuff like weaponary and a variety of enemies to fight.

Would a WW2 RPG offer the same variety of weapons for an RPG game to function vs a sci-fi game?
Would a game set in a historical medieval world offer enough variants of accurate swords to be fun to play? Would the Witcher be the same if the only enemy were humans and there were no creatures, monsters or magic?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Western RPGs are limited in imagination/settings and not really varied enough. I always did wonder the same thing, why not do RPG with a modern setting like Persona or any other unique setting? you can't say the same about Japanese RPGs though, they are definitely more varied and distinct.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alongside what others are saying I'd say it's because of how similar they can end up being in taking us out of the real world. Both can have big, bombastic, made up enemies, cool weapon designs that don't have to be grounded in reality, new settings that aren't typical earth design, insertion of races besides humans and abilities thru magic or enhancements, etc.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Another Alpha Protocol with a proper budget and development time would be amazing. I really loved the game, warts and all.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
if Fallout is Sci-Fi, then all three of these are Fantasy

I could see your argument for mythological, but I think horror is broad enough and full of enough of its own tropes to stand on its own.

Also a historical RPG would in no way be a fantasy game. That's like saying WWII shooters are fantasy games.

Oct 26, 2017
Western RPGs are limited in settings and imagination

wasteland-3-demo-build_3.jpg

kingdom-come-deliverance-terza-persona3-696x392.jpg

20201.jpg

bc2b60f24f86b3ed5aa3d9eea7cd867ddd88db25068b2ff425743460c6b9235d_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

6039889e2f27c47416b8eb4434f07dcfb9c1a42575577c53eeaddfab6dd17809_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

JRPGs are more varied and distinct

xenoblade-chronicles-2-nintendo-switch-3.jpg

Granblue-Fantasy-PS4-Gameplay_01-19-18.jpg

QqmvwmC-1920x1080-cropped-scaled.jpg

the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel_2015_10-15-15_004_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I could see your argument for mythological, but I think horror is broad enough and full of enough of its own tropes to stand on its own.

Also a historical RPG would in no way be a fantasy game. That's like saying WWII shooters are fantasy games.
You can have subgenres or combined genres. "Fantasy" has the dungeons and dragon style, the urban fantasy style, the gothic horror style, and plenty of others.

A game like Assassin's Creed is historical, fantasy, and also sci fi. A game like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is urban fantasy and gothic horror. A game like Dead Space is sci fi and also cosmic horror. A game like Bloodborne is gothic horror and cosmic horror.

When you generalize to make a point, it doesn't hold up to very much scrutiny.

May 10, 2019
I'm happy to see any RPG studio bust out of Fantasy/Sci-Fi. Even within the D&D worlds, I'm really hoping the next games after Baldur's Gate 3 and the new Dark Alliance take on campaigns that break the molds, like Dark Sun and Eberron (since that one just came back in the books it's more likely).

But what I really want are more fantastical modern world settings. Something rooted in Monster Of The Week, Night's Black Agents, and The X-Files would be an incredible CRPG setting.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Scifi and Fantasy tend to hit similar demographics. There's more of a divide in movies for whatever reason, but in most other media they go together like peanut butter and jelly

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Western RPGs are limited in imagination/settings and not really varied enough. I always did wonder the same thing, why not do RPG with a modern setting like Persona or any other unique setting? you can't say the same about Japanese RPGs though, they are definitely more varied and distinct.

You're joking right

Pillars of Eternity 2 - Pirate fantasy RPG

Disco Elysium - Post-War Eastern European RPG

Greedfall - Colonial Expansionist Era RPG

ELEX - Wild Skyrim/Fallout/Battletech mashup setting RPG

Deus Ex - Near-future cyberpunk RPG

These are just a few off the top of my head the last five years I can keep going

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Sci Fi and Fantasy are ludicrously popular genres, especially with the people making them, and they allow you a mostly free hand to make what you want without the baggage of real world cultures and history that a mythological or historical RPG would bring. I would be delighted to see more modern day RPGs, but they've not had the most success even with licenses like Vampire: the Masquerade behind them. Disco Elysium is certainly an incredible example of a modern setting in an RPG, so hopefully it and Bloodlines 2 to come can lead the way.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
You can have subgenres or combined genres. "Fantasy" has the dungeons and dragon style, the urban fantasy style, the gothic horror style, and plenty of others.

A game like Assassin's Creed is historical, fantasy, and also sci fi. A game like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is urban fantasy and gothic horror. A game like Dead Space is sci fi and also cosmic horror. A game like Bloodborne is gothic horror and cosmic horror.

When you generalize to make a point, it doesn't hold up to very much scrutiny.

I agree with all of that, but having elements of a subgenre or a mix of influences doesn't change the fact that titles (generally) predominantly lean towards a certain classification.

For example, Witcher has elements of horror, but it is not a horror game-- everyone can agree it is a fantasy game. Greedfall is influenced by history through its use of aesthetics, technology, and conflicts from the 1500s-1600s, however it would be completely inaccurate to call it a historical game considering it firmly places itself in the realm of fantasy with magic and creatures.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I agree with all of that, but having elements of a subgenre or a mix of influences doesn't change the fact that titles (generally) predominantly lean towards a certain classification.

For example, Witcher has elements of horror, but it is not a horror game-- everyone can agree it is a fantasy game. Greedfall is influenced by history through its use of aesthetics, technology, and conflicts from the 1500s-1600s, however it would be completely inaccurate to call it a historical game considering it firmly places itself in the realm of fantasy with magic and creatures.
Okay. Then Fallout is a post-apocalypse game with some sci-fi trappings.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Both fantasy and sci-fi fiction are under the "speculative fiction" umbrella. Nerds usually love both genres. Not to mention that tons of speculative fiction use both fantasy and sci-fi elements (like Star Wars and Dune).

Also, a lot of video games have pretty generic lore/setting (just look at Dragon Age), so an easy way to a developer to create a new IP while avoiding repeating itself is changing from a genre to another.