• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Yes it is, and no it's not?
No, it's not, and yes, it is how people broadly use the phrase. Sorry to the five weirdos on this forum who make this distinction, but the overwhelming majority of people who use "Soulsborne" are doing so to (wrongly)refer to the genre, not the literal, actual games FROM has produced.

Last edited:

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
No, it's not, and yes, it is how people broadly use that. I'd respect people who use Soulsborne more if they just admitted they do it because they want to elevate Bloodborne to the level of importance of the Souls game.

But I think people are perfectly willing to admit that.

Because that just is in fact the case, Bloodborne was married to the Souls series because it is so strikingly similar and obviously because it's so good, and it also came out a full year before Dark Souls 3.

But there's nuance to this goofy endless nerd discussion I'm happy to engage in. Bloodborne is far more similar to Dark Souls than Sekiro is similar to either of them. Elden Ring in turn is basically Giant Dark Souls and far more similar to that franchise than either Bloodborne or Sekiro. Elden Ring actually does more to encourage the usage of a specific term for From games than even Bloodborne does. But Elden Ring isn't actually a "Souls" game, as far as part of that actual franchise, so you need to make a distinction there. But you don't want to create some term that gets cumbersome.

So those are all just Souls games, plainly. They are a part of that umbrella which includes all From games of that ilk, with the only minor controversy there being Sekiro.

The ones from other devs who take influence in any sense - rough carbon copies like Mortal Shell or Lord of the Fallen or 2D games like Salt & Sanctuary - are Souls-likes. Bloodborne isn't a Souls-like, it is Souls.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
TIL that From is so sacred that they can't have their games bundled with other games.

Person 1 - could you recommend me some Souls-like games?
Person 2 - rattles off many non-From games
Person 1 - but I heard From makes great games like this, you didn't mention a single one, why?
Person 2 - oh well you said Souls-like, those are Souls games
Person 1 - don't those play the same?
Person 2 - yes, but From makes these
Person 1 - From gets its own genre?
Person 2 - yes
Person 1 - does any other dev get that treatment?
Person 2 - did you miss me saying this is From?

Question, bc at this point this thread has become funny for me, if we had a Corpse Run RPG (CRRPG) genre would people be ok with lumping Dark Souls, Elden Ring, The Surge etc. together?

Last edited:

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Like it or not Soulsborne is catchy. So its going to stay. It has little to do as to what exactly it means or what name to use.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
But I think people are perfectly willing to admit that.

Because that just is in fact the case, Bloodborne was married to the Souls series because it is so strikingly similar and obviously because it's so good, and it also came out a full year before Dark Souls 3.

But there's nuance to this goofy endless nerd discussion I'm happy to engage in. Bloodborne is far more similar to Dark Souls than Sekiro is similar to either of them. Elden Ring in turn is basically Giant Dark Souls and far more similar to that franchise than either Bloodborne or Sekiro. Elden Ring actually does more to encourage the usage of a specific term for From games than even Bloodborne does. But Elden Ring isn't actually a "Souls" game, as far as part of that actual franchise, so you need to make a distinction there. But you don't want to create some term that gets cumbersome.

So those are all just Souls games, plainly. They are a part of that umbrella which includes all From games of that ilk, with the only minor controversy there being Sekiro.

The ones from other devs who take influence in any sense - rough carbon copies like Mortal Shell or Lord of the Fallen or 2D games like Salt & Sanctuary - are Souls-likes. Bloodborne isn't a Souls-like, it is Souls.

I think pulling out an "actually Soulsborne is a term referring to the games FROM themselves made" is a way of implicitly admitting that this is about putting Bloodborne on a pedestal without actually admitting to it, because that reasoning has the air of attempting to simply classify FROM's recent output, while also eliding Sekiro and Elden Ring. Obviously, it is silly to just continuously shove more words onto the term, but then that begs why people arbitrarily decided Bloodborne was the cutoff, when "Soulsborne" is less descriptive than just "FROM games", in the sense that the former already is already outdated regarding FROM's releases. It's people wanting their favored entry to be reflected in the shorthand without having a good argument for why it should be included beyond "I like it". It certainly isn't as clear in intention as "Souls games" or "FROM games".

Bloodborne didn't meaningfully change the formula, not to the point of it needing a genre adjustment. It is a Souls games. Sekiro is a Souls game(debatable, but I'm not about to argue we need a subgenre for Sekiro, it's close enough to the Souls formula). Elden Ring is definitely a Souls game. There's nothing wrong with just calling them all "Souls-like", or just using "FROM games" to refer to the actual games. People will know what you mean in both cases.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My preferred name for the genre is Elden SoulsBournekiro.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
both have skeletons, BAKA
giphy.gif

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I think I'm starting to understand. People are just really, really mad salty about Bloodborne.

It explains everything really...

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Platform wars
The way I see it all this is just passive-aggressive console warring: The "Soulsborne" name as a way to retake ownership of the genre that had been stolen from PS when Dark Souls released and triumphed everywhere becoming one of the most influential games of the generation, while DeS was stuck in a "hidden gem" status. When someone uses the "Soulsborne" name they're actually trying to say that Souls games have a special relationship with PS because that makes them feel like they have butterflies in their bellies.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
It started with Demon's Souls. Just call them Souls-likes. If you want to refer to From's games specifically just call them From games or something

Oct 27, 2017
I call them Soulsborne or Souls when it comes to From Soft Demon's Souls successors.

Others I call Souls like.

Don't care what others think lol this is what I define them as

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I believe that Soulsborne is a term that only exists because people feel Bloodborne is so special it demands extra notice. Otherwise, it's a silly term because Bloodborne in essence is just a Souls game. If both were franchises with multiple entries, I could see the portmanteau serving some use when talking about the Bloodborne and Dark Souls/Demon Souls series, but as it is now calling the FROM games "Soulsborne" makes as much sense as actually calling them "Soulsbornering".

Hell, maybe "Soulsring" will actually make more sense in the long run, because I can actually see FROM developing Elden Ring 2 before Bloodborne 2.

I just call them "Souls-games" or "Souls-likes"

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Its neither, they're actually just souls games and dragging bloodborne into the genre name is completely unnecessary.

Exactly, but the damage is done and people will just continue using this awful term as a blanket description of the Souls styled games, which Bloodborne belongs to.

Not only Souls was first, but, more importantly, Soulsborne sounds less generic than Blood Souls.

Both are completely redundant.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Blood Souls sounds like an actual game title and might be confusing. Soulsborne is dumb enough that it won;t be confused for a game title and you can also safely ignore anyone that uses the term.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I might be biased because Demon's Souls Remake and Bloodborne are my favorite Soulsborne games, but I don't think we need a genre with the term "like," in it. For that reason alone I prefer Soulsborne.

We already use "like" for rouge-like and that term is losing all meaning.

I think I'm starting to understand. People are just really, really mad salty about Bloodborne.

It explains everything really...

Seriously, it's crazy. I also really like the term Metroidvania and have never cared for most Metroid games including Super Metroid and the original Metroid.

I think "Souls-like" is lame and "Souls game," makes me assume we are taking about a From Software game since many people make Soulsborne games now, that doesn't make sense. (Ni-Oh, Code Vein, The Surge, etc)

Since Soulsborne includes 2 titles, in 2 different series, with different console exclusivity, born in different generations, it naturally makes me think it's a more inclusive term. I feel it's more apt to call the games mentioned above "Soulsborne," then "souls like." Almost disrespectful to use a "Souls," exclusive name for the genre because it feels like it has to be compared to the Souls franchise vs the genre. I might be crazy in this regard.

Anyway that's my thoughts.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, it does not roll off the tongue better, lol, and also Souls came first, so it makes only sense to have it first in the name too.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
the true reason why a Bloodborne port can't come soon enough, the ridiculous -borne suffix will vaniash in a matter of weeks.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
the true reason why a Bloodborne port can't come soon enough, the ridiculous -borne suffix will vaniash in a matter of weeks.

Why would it vanish? I'll never stop using the term tbh. (reasons stated in the posts above)

Until someone invents a term that feels as inclusive to other franchises or doesn't have the word "like" or "game" in it, it's the best option we got.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Yep, just like Soulsborne...
You wanted a dumb term that would be a replacement for "like", so there you go.

Lol, I gave reasons why I think soulsborne is appropriate.

I didn't know about music genres using core, so that makes sense, but personally I would feel better with gaming using its own conventions vs borrowing from another medium. Fair enough tho.

Jul 1, 2020
I'm completely baffled that this kind of game is still in it's "Doom Clone" era. Where the genre is referred to with specific games even though there are plenty of them out there.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Soulslike sounds much better, especially when you consider that, despite how iconic it became and how universally loved it is, Bloodborne had little to no influence over soulslike games that came after it beyond maybe an aesthetic level.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, it's crazy. I also really like the term Metroidvania and have never cared for most Metroid games including Super Metroid and the original Metroid.

I think "Souls-like" is lame and "Souls game," makes me assume we are taking about a From Software game since many people make Soulsborne games now, that doesn't make sense. (Ni-Oh, Code Vein, The Surge, etc)

Since Soulsborne includes 2 titles, in 2 different series, with different console exclusivity, born in different generations, it naturally makes me think it's a more inclusive term. I feel it's more apt to call the games mentioned above "Soulsborne," then "souls like." Almost disrespectful to use a "Souls," exclusive name for the genre because it feels like it has to be compared to the Souls franchise vs the genre. I might be crazy in this regard.

Anyway that's my thoughts.
But it's not really two different series though. Bloodborne is essentially a Dark Souls spin-off game (or a spiritual spin-off, if you'd like, since there's no real narrative connection), just like Dark Souls was a spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls. Bloodborne and Dark Souls share gameplay, developers and design ethos. If you'd show someone who didn't know anything about the two the games side-by-side they'd probably assume one is a sequel of the other and they wouldn't be totally wrong.

Soulsborne as a term makes very little sense compared to how a term like Metroidvania makes sense. Metroidvania exists as a term because games in that genre are base their gameplay on elements from Metroid and elements from Castlevania games (or at least, SotN and onwards), therefore 'Metroidvania' makes sense. Soulsborne would similarily imply that the games take equal inspiration from both Dark Souls (or Demon's Souls) and Bloodborne, which is, well, often not true (Dark Souls is usually mentioned, not Bloodborne) and even if that was the case that idea is nonsensical anyway considering Bloodborne and Dark/Demon's Souls are in essence the same type of game, with the exact same mechanics.

Again, the only way Soulsborne would make sense IMO is if it's only used to refer to Bloodborne and Dark Souls/Demon's Souls games and if they really were two distinct franchises. Like, if you would have three Bloodborne games and three Dark Souls games, you could feasibly refer to the collection as 'Soulsborne', but now it's just a stupid term that seems to only exist to put Bloodborne on a pedestal because there is and probably always will be only one Bloodborne game. Also, now it seems the term purposely omits Elden Ring and Sekiro (though I'd say Sekiro is actually different enough that it would warrant a separate term).

Souls-like meanwhile actually does make sense, because the games that people refer to as 'Souls-like' all have very clear mechanical connections to the Souls games (which Bloodborne is a part of).

Honestly though, you could also just call all those games Action RPG's and just sidestep the whole issue.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Because "Blood Souls" sounds like a Castlevania rip-off aka it sounds dumb.
Soulsborne sounds also dumb but it flows better.

Why is this a thread? :o

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Using the term Soulsborne unironically should be an instant ban from this site, and society as a whole.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Why the hell would you call it Blood Souls when Demon's Souls and Dark Souls came out first?
Soulsborne just sounds better than Blood Souls anyway.
Now when Armored Core comes out and it is kinda Dark Soulish I guess we can change it all to Souls Core. However, Armored Core is an older series so maybe we can call the genre Armored Souls?