• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
It's only been a few years since I have seen it, but I don't recall anything that warrants an R rating.

No one dies (except two monters). And none of the monsters have realistic gore.

Usually 80s movies have lenient ratings when compared to today's standards. Maybe I'm being too lenient.

Let me know what you think. Does this movie deserve an R rating?

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's only been a few years since I have seen it, but I don't recall anything that warrants an R rating.

No one dies (except two monters). And none of the monsters don't have realistic gore.

Usually 80s movies have lenient ratings when compared to today's standards. Maybe I'm being too lenient.

Really? I think today's standards are more lenient.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

No one dies (except two monters). And none of the monsters don't have realistic gore.

Did PG 13 exist then? At some point the option was PG then straight to R.

Edit: Looks like that rating was introduced in 1984. Idk then.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Are there boobs? I vaguely remember the one scene where the guy is following all the clothes on the ground the laundry room or garage.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The posters would always slightly scare me when I saw them in the video shop when I was a kid.

But when I saw the actual film ehhhh

80's video cover artists did such a sterling job of making shit into gold with their design work.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
If you think that's whack, The King's Speech was rated R. That's a film I wouldn't have a problem letting my 2 year old watch...not that she could make it through it, but still.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Im pretty sure there's a few "fucks" as stated. I rewatched a few years ago and was surprised. Also William Katt is a horible actor, I had no idea as a kid.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
This movie made a mark on me when I was young. Watched it on tv with my dad. I was the perfect age to find it enjoyable, but pretty scary. The idea of the father having to find his son by crawling into an abyss dimension blew my mind.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese House is where its really at.

tumblr_inline_o9g1f0cnce1t6wivs_500.gif

What that piano did to that poor girl...

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
This might be one of the only places I can freely admit this, but House 2 might be one of my favorite movies of all time. It deserved a Saturday Morning cartoon adaptation like Tales from the Crypt got

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saw this last week. It was AWFUL. A fucking wacky kids movie!
That's just straight Blasphemy. House II set the standard for shitty cheesy so bad it's good 80's films that you found on VHS in the back of a mom and pop video rental store that you and your friends would obsessively rent every weekend for 2 to 3 months in a row.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's settle it:

Which is the best of the House movies.

no one say Hausu

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
I went to an outdoor showing of the Japanese movie House at an art gallery once. They didn't have subtitles... I watched the whole movie but still have no idea what it's about.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know, now the movie yes man i own has the word fuck 3 times and it's pg 13

Basically, the MPAA does whatever it wants. But there is one thing I know about them: it's okay to use "fuck" as long as you're not describing the sexual act. but If someone says they "fucked" someone, it's an instant R.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
It had a dope 80s montage as well. Used to watch this all the time as a kid with my older bro. I need to rewatch this as an adult, but I"m realizing how similar it is to Evil Dead.

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I watched House last night. Here's a recap of things that likely earned it an R rating.

-people get shot in the war flash backs.
-drug use during the war flash backs.
-a couple of "fucks" and "shots" are said in the war flash backs.
-the aunt is found hanging by a nose from suicide.
-for a brief time the main character thinks he accidentally killed his ex wife by shooting her with a shot gun.

Overall I still think this movie should have earned pg-13 rating. No humans die. Only monsters have gruesome deaths. And there's a happy ending.

Oh yeah, the movie is still amazing. It manages to be spooky and funny at the same time. And the practical effects for the monsters still hold up.