• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
FIFA 21 for PS4 and Xbox one is $25 at Best Buy. Both games have free PS5 and XSX upgrade yet Best Buy is selling a PS5/XSX "versión" for $70 with a different cover......

I bet there are going to be a lot of uninformed people buying the latest version. Kinda scummy EA it's doing this tbh.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
It is not just EA doing this. Every publisher has been doing the same thing.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's easy money, many people have no idea there's a free upgrade to the next gen version.

And yeah it's super scummy.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
You heard about Switch tax? Well there's next gen tax as well now kidding
Apparently, publishers wanted to raise the base price for a long time, and the start of a new gen is the best moment to do that.
And about getting it on next gen instead of free upgrade, a lot of people just don't know / won't notice that.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly why.

(I'm quite sure my girlfriend bought the PS5 version of Fenyx Rising for me, when the PS4 version is like ... 30 bucks cheaper. But i'm certainly not gonna let her know)

Though, to be fair, for some, the PS5 version is a much more plug-and-play experience than having to install the PS4 version from disc and then having to download a PS5 patch, which might be rather sizeable in some cases.
The PS5 already comes sort-of patched, right? The content on the disc isn't identical ... right?!

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
FIFA 21 for PS4 and Xbox one is $25 at Best Buy. Both games have free PS5 and XSX upgrade yet Best Buy is selling a PS5/XSX "versión" for $70 with a different cover......

I bet there are going to be a lot of uninformed people buying the latest version. Kinda scummy EA it's doing this tbh.
Are you sure it wasn't a bundle deal with a controller?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The nextgen version was released just a few weeks ago, so I suppose it sort of makes sense that there's a disparity? At least for a store that has to manage stock. For me it makes mostly no sense that there are even two different version

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
The answer for all these question as to why does company X does thing Y. Answer to that is always: Money

Every single decision a company makes no matter how boneheaded or smart it is, is to try and make more Money

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Is the game 100% the same?

No. It's actually less in a way.

The PS4/XO versions all come with a free next gen upgrade. So you can play the next gen version or the BC version.

The next gen version is not able to matchmake with previous gen (which is a huge userbase). So if you are on PS5/SX you cannot play with PS4/XO, unless you're playing the PS4/XO version of the game.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

The PS4/XO versions all come with a free next gen upgrade. So you can play the next gen version or the BC version.

The next gen version is not able to matchmake with previous gen (which is a huge userbase). So if you are on PS5/SX you cannot play with PS4/XO, unless you're playing the PS4/XO version of the game.
Less is more.

Beuntje

Oct 29, 2017
I thought there really was a difference between the two, just like with CoD where the more expensive version gives you exclusive access to extra next gen features?

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
After the free upgrade, it is literally the new game.

Lmao fuck that

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The PS5/XBS|X SKU is the "NXT LEVEL" edition with FIFA 21 and Ultimate Team content.

I thought there really was a difference between the two, just like with CoD where the more expensive version gives you exclusive access to extra next gen features?

There's no difference, the $70 SKU includes additional content (aka MTX for Ultimate Team).
If you buy the PS4 SKU you are getting the exact same game on PS5 without the MTX content.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The nextgen version was released just a few weeks ago, so I suppose it sort of makes sense that there's a disparity? At least for a store that has to manage stock. For me it makes mostly no sense that there are even two different version
Ah, so it's because the retailers are clearing out unsold stock.

I didn't realise the next gen versions came afterwards

Oct 25, 2017
It's stupid to buy it now, but it'll be useful later because the free upgrade deal will expire when FIFA 22 comes out. Then new buyers can't upgrade FIFA 21 from PS4 to PS5 version any more, they need to buy the PS5 version.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why EA (Activision/Take Two) opt out of SmartDelivery, to artificially put barriers in order to charge more.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
This is the kind of thing its worth telling your friends and family about on Facebook tbh. Its the non-gaming parents who won't know any better / won't shop around.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The reason why EA (Activision/Take Two) opt out of SmartDelivery, to artificially put barriers in order to charge more.

EA is still giving a FREE UPGRADE for PS4 and One owners, while Take-Two DID NOT.

If you want to play the next-gen FIFA version on PS5 and XBX|S you can buy the PS4 and One SKU and get the game for free
If you want to play the next-gen NBA2K version you need to get the most expensive SKU.

The FIFA 21 next-gen SKU is $70 because they are adding ULTIMATE TEAM packs, that's why it's $10 more expensive.
You can buy the base PS4 and One edition and get the same games on your next-gen console.

Two diffferent things.

Jul 26, 2018
Same reason I don't shop brands, but reviews. But not everyone is, can be, or can afford to be informed.

He was a-
Ya know it
He was a-

I was walking down the street
When out the corner of my eye
I saw a pretty little thing approaching me
She said, I've never seen a man
Who looks so all alone
Uh, could you use a little company?

If you pay the right price
Your evening will be nice
And you can go and send me on my way
I said, "You're such a sweet young thing
Why'd you do this to yourself?"
She looked at me and this is what she said

"Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay
I got mouths to feed
There ain't nothing in this world for free
I know I can't slow down
I can't hold back
Though you know
I wish I could
Oh, no there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good"

Not even 15 minutes later
I'm still walking down the street
When I saw the shadow of a man creep out of sight
And then he swept up from behind
He put a gun up to my head
He made it clear he wasn't looking for a fight

He said, "Give me all you've got
I want your money not your life
But if you try to make a move, I won't think twice"
I told him, "You can have my cash
But first you know I got to ask
What made you want to live this kind of life?"

He said, "There ain't no rest for the wicked
I got bills to pay
I got mouths to feed
I know I can't slow down
I can't hold back
Though you know, I wish I could
Oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good"
Yeah

You know it
He was a-
You know it
He was a-

Well, now a couple hours passed
And I was sitting at my house
The day was winding down and coming to an end
And so I turned on the TV
And flipped it over to the news
And what I saw I almost couldn't comprehend

I saw a preacher man in cuffs
He'd taken money from the church
He'd stuffed his bank account with righteous dollar bills
But even still I can't say much
Because I know we're all the same
Oh yes, we all seek out to satisfy those thrills

You know there ain't no rest for the wicked
We got bills to pay
We got mouths to feed
I know we can't slow down
We can't hold back, though you know, we wish we could
Oh no, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good

Nov 5, 2017
I'm one of those people who bought the $70 version, mainly because I switched from Xbox One to PS5. I don't know if I could've just bought it on PS5 and activated the upgrade through that or I needed to do it through a PS4, which I don't own. I couldn't find a solid answer so I just spent extra. Not cool but it is what it is.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
The game is the same, you just pay more to get FIFA Ultimate Packs.
Yeah, what i wanted to say is you get some kind of value from the higher price, right? I guess you'd have to buy those packs otherwise through micro transactions?
Just so i understand if it has at least some kind of plus.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I thought the free upgrade period was temporary, like Madden? Better to have two skus than a sudden price hike.

Edit: according to EA's site, the 65% off sale is only until January 3rd as well.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
I thought the free upgrade period was temporary, like Madden? Better to have two skus than a sudden price hike.

Edit: according to EA's site, the 65% off sale is only until January 3rd as well.
The free upgrade was supposed to be until January when they first unannounced it but then they changed it until the release of FIFA 22.