• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
"We made a delivery attempt: 02/11/2021 3:10PM. Delivery will be attempted again on the next business day."
" Delivery exceptionCustomer not available or business closed "

No, you didn't. I made sure my time off today lined up with when the drivers usually come and I was here.

-I was home, right next to the only door which is impossible to miss. This is not a multi unit, it's a house. I was ready to get this over with because I have a very sick cat who lays on me so it was disturbing that setup so I was pretty impatiently waiting and checking constantly.
-My walls in this dumb house are paper thin so I hear everything outside and I got up for every vehicle and rumble to make sure I was ready since they tend to do the knock and run (hence why I didn't want the cat on me because I have to be slow and gentle).
-The house is clearly marked as the correct address both physically and online using mapping tools. Weather was not a factor, it's fine out. It's as easy to find and park as it can be.
-It's winter so there's snow in the driveway and there are NO footprints of someone walking to my door. Nor is there a "we missed you" door tag.

Don't lie to me. You never attempted it. Fedex is awful. If you couldn't make it on time just say so. The lying and blaming me is what irritates me. Awful service that I'll never use in the future given the choice. I wish Valve would use another carrier in the US.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having worked for Fedex, I can say with confidence their customer service is garbage.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I had a very expensive small package delivered by them once, required a signature. They left it at the doorstep saying they got the signature when no one signed for it. Sketch asses.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
"We made a delivery attempt: 02/11/2021 3:10PM. Delivery will be attempted again on the next business day."

No, you didn't. I made sure my time off today lined up with when the drivers usually come and I was here.

-I was home, right next to the only door which is impossible to miss. This is not a multi unit, it's a house. I was ready to get this over with because I have a very sick cat who lays on me so it was disturbing that setup so I was pretty impatiently waiting and checking constantly.
-My walls in this dumb house are paper thin so I hear everything outside and I got up for every vehicle and rumble to make sure I was ready since they tend to do the knock and run (hence why I didn't want the cat on me because I have to be slow and gentle).
-The house is clearly marked as the correct address both physically and online using mapping tools. Weather was not a factor, it's fine out. It's as easy to find and park as it can be.
-It's winter so there's snow in the driveway and there are NO footprints of someone walking to my door. Nor is there a "we missed you" door tag.

Don't lie to me. You never attempted it. Fedex is awful. If you couldn't make it on time just say so. The lying and blaming me is what irritates me. Awful service that I'll never use in the future given the choice. I wish Valve would use another carrier in the US.
I've been in this same situation with FedEx before. But in my case I caught the tracking update right away and called them, was repeatedly assured that the driver would be sent back to deliver the package, and wound up spending the entire day waiting for him. And in the end I found out the package was never on the damn truck to be delivered that day in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017
These guys do this. I had the same thing happen with a UPS delivery where the lazy asshole didn't knock or probably even get out of his vehicle a few weeks ago. I had to drive a UPS locker location to get it the next day (and that thing sucked - asked for license and spit it out, asked to text me code and wouldn't send it, and so on).

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I used them like 10 years ago they did something similar twice and I ended up driving to the distribution center to pick it up.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordering a pizza: car door slam, heavy feet pounding up walk, ringing door bell.

Ordering a package: ninja assassins sent from the spirit realm.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Ive been dealing with a lot of companies lately as I just started my own little business. My takeaway from communicating with them is:

Their systems are outdated, customer service is hard so it drives people to not really give a fuck (can't blame them), and nobody owns a touchpoint with individual customers so passing it between departments and people makes the experience disjointed and stupid. These companies are either 1) run by lazy boomer morons or 2) these problems are unsolvable with today's systems or today's american humans who are employed there.

I hate talking to companies with support departments.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its not a fedex smart post delivery is it? the delivery attempt may have been to your local post office who may have been closed already. this happened to me several times and i thought fedex was dicking me around and then found out they were trying to deliver it to my local post office who always closes freaking early.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
It's crazy how FedEx takes up to a week extra to deliver things.

I wonder what's going on in logistics department, or if they are simply taking on more than they can actually deliver.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Ever since my apartment complex got package lockers, I haven't had a single problem delivery.
It is kinda funny seeing confirmations signed by A. LOCKER

My main issue with FedEx is that, though not nearly as bad as USPS nowadays, it still takes a weirdly long amount of time for outbound packages to actually hit the road. Like 24-36 hours from pickup to local distro to actual departure.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how FedEx takes up to a week extra to deliver things.

I wonder what's going on in logistics department, or if they are simply taking on more than they can actually deliver.
pretty sure they are getting swamped. i think i remember reading a story about them renting a bunch of uhaul trucks and having drivers deliver them that way.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

happened to me recently. the prob will deliver tomorrow keep an eye on it updating.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
My experience is all couriers are terrible with residential delivery, but are great with business delivery.

With businesses, they know where to go and have a regular person they hand the packages off to and thus have a working relationship with the person/business and put a good effort in. With residential, they say "fuck it, I'll lie and say I tried" when they fall behind schedule in a heartbeat because they have never met you and don't care.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
My understanding, and it might be wrong, is that UPS runs all of their own delivery services while FedEx basically subcontracts each local route. It would certainly explain why FedEx tends to be more scattershot than UPS.

In cases where they say they attempted a delivery but didn't; there may be some internal metrics that they're trying to game. Saying that they ran out of time and couldn't complete the route might penalize them more than saying that no one was home, so they just fudge it. This is all conjecture on my part though.

Jan 4, 2021
I hate FedEx with a passion. USPS has always been great to me, if the package is sent anywhere within my state or neighboring swear to god they hustle it over no matter the service level. It's like someone looked at my address and went "hey that's not too far might as well drive it over myself ASAP." I regularly see packages arrive in CA from NY at an office 50mi from me and it'll get to my place the same day.

FedEx and UPS though, sweet Jesus it can be at the distro center 2 miles from me for days cuz the sender didn't pay $1000 for their fastest delivery.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
pretty sure they are getting swamped. i think i remember reading a story about them renting a bunch of uhaul trucks and having drivers deliver them that way.
I actually had this happen to me in like November 2020! Got 2x Apple Watch S5 for my Wife and I and Best Buy shipped them via FedEx. The day they're supposed to be delivered, a random white van with seemingly no logo is in my driveway and I'm looking out my window like "who the hell?" Then I see the guy get out in a FedEx shirt and sure enough he drops off the Apple Watches (which were supposed to require a signature, but mysteriously wasn't necessary). As he pulled out of my driveway I did notice a small UHaul logo on the van. I couldn't believe they actually were using UHauls to deliver packages lol. Only time I've ever seen it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My understanding, and it might be wrong, is that UPS runs all of their own delivery services while FedEx basically subcontracts each local route. It would certainly explain why FedEx tends to be more scattershot than UPS.

In cases where they say they attempted a delivery but didn't; there may be some internal metrics that they're trying to game. Saying that they ran out of time and couldn't complete the route might penalize them more than saying that no one was home, so they just fudge it. This is all conjecture on my part though.

This is correct.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
They can't be worse than the USPS can they? I haven't lived in the US for nearly 2 decades, so I'm sure things have changed since then, but when I lived there FedEx used to be great. On the other hand, I had many issues where USPS delivery people would do exactly what OP described.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Most cases it's updated like an Automatic thing. Even if like an item is delayed, lost in transit. Sometimes you get other messages as well. I'd just give it a few days for it to catch up in their system. But I've started to see FedEx having some issues here recently. When shipping and receiving.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I had FedEx lie multiples times for one package. First excuse was they couldn't find the address. It was at the corner of the two biggest roads in the area with a sign and like 2 other businesses within 5 miles. Also, a map on the package as they'd tried that excuse before. The second failed attempt claimed the door was locked. Well, the lock was broken and it was impossible to lock the door at that time. Also someone was sitting in the office next to the door all day until like 9 PM. My best guess was they had no other packages on the route in that rural area and just wanted to skip it until they had more stuff going that way.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I despise FedEx in my area. I moved to a new place a few months ago and had quite a few packages being delivered. For two weeks, none of the packages shipped by FedEx arrived but all of them were marked as delivered. These were fairly large boxes and I would check my door minutes after their tracking status was updated. No problems at all with USPS or UPS.

I called them, opened cases for each of the tracking numbers and, eventually, I spoke to someone who told me I didn't sound too concerned about what to her sounded like rampant theft in my area. She said she would get in contact with the driver but that I could call back at the number she provided if I received more information about the location of the packages and wanted to let her know, because my address could end up getting "flagged" and they would no longer deliver to it. A few days later all of them just showed up in front of my door and I got a voicemail from them saying that the cases were closed.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, tell me about it

In one week, I had three deliveries coming to me, all with the exact same address text copy/pasted verbatim - Quest 2 Prescription Lenses, Quest 2 Elite Strap, and a Valve Index (Yes, accessories for an Oculus and an entirely different HMD. I have my reasons.)

Prescription Lenses and Elite Strap arrive fine within a day of eachother, and I expected the Index the day after that and... "Delivery Exception - Invalid Apartment Number" - Which I've been told is what the reason is if they get there and the apartment-number literally does not exist at that address - Obviously judging by the fact that the previous two packages arrived here, I beg to disagree that my apartment number doesn't exist.

...Thankfully the Index managed to arrive the next day safe and sound but fuck me that had me in a light panic. Now let's see if the Prescription Lenses for that arrive here just fine like the previous set for my Quest 2 did just fine.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand a single person who claims that these private companies are the better option over government run and owned ones. Not from the usa but my wife is and I've lived there for months at a time with her when I visit, usps isn't perfect by far but they're damn sure better at a lot of what they're there to do than the private companies. Even more impressive when they deliver to way more houses and such every day than these companies do and at a cheaper price. Same with royal mail in the UK, I can count the issues I've had with them in my life on one hand, unlike private delivery companies and the shit they've pulled for years.

There's a reason that governments defund those services when they can, because they show up the private companies when funded correctly and even when they're fucked over they often show them up still, and right wing governments sure as shit don't like the idea of the "free market" being shown up as being so much worse than tax payer funded options for services.

Can't let normal folks get the idea that maybe their tax money should be used to improve their lives via government funded services of all kinds as opposed to shit like blowing a few billion more a week on tanks that sit in the deserts of the usa unused for decades.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I had a very expensive small package delivered by them once, required a signature. They left it at the doorstep saying they got the signature when no one signed for it. Sketch asses.

same, but even worse... it was a $2500 gaming computer, and they left it not on my doorstep without signature, but in the lobby of my apartment building (with some four dozen units) without asking for a signature. absolutely awful.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
I had FedEx lie multiples times for one package. First excuse was they couldn't find the address. It was at the corner of the two biggest roads in the area with a sign and like 2 other businesses within 5 miles. Also, a map on the package as they'd tried that excuse before. The second failed attempt claimed the door was locked. Well, the lock was broken and it was impossible to lock the door at that time. Also someone was sitting in the office next to the door all day until like 9 PM. My best guess was they had no other packages on the route in that rural area and just wanted to skip it until they had more stuff going that way.
Man, I have had so many delivery people from all different companies claim that they couldn't get into my building because it was locked. The front door of my building doesn't even have a lock.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Fedex lost my 3080 fe when i managed to get it back in September. It was a stealth mid night drop and I was super happy. They shipped it with Fedex, but as soon as it arrived at their local distribution center, it stopped moving for a freaking week. The center was like 4 miles from where I live too. I genuinely thought it was lost and even started the process for a refund from Nvidia. 10 days later, it arrived without any update to the tracking. Signature was required too which the driver decided that he didn't need my signature and had the nerve to put my initials on there. And dumped the 700 dollar GPU on the porch which had a retail price for over 1200.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I feel that. CanadaPost basically lies every delivery.
Within 30 mins of it reaching local facility, they claim they attempted a delivery and left a card.

..card doesn't show up until 8 hrs later or the next day.

Last edited:

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
Does calling support / opening a case actually help for situations like this? I did the whole song and dance out of fear after the second delivery failure message, but I have no idea if that actually helped.

In my case, I suspect that it was because it was a massive package and they did not have the tools to move it. I still wish they didn't lie about the reasoning, though.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Fedex driver here, let me clear some wrong information around here. This is the way I do things and I'm sure not all the drivers do things the same way.

1. OP, is your package FedEx Express? Ground? Home Delivery? SmartPost? Because there is a difference in all 4 services, and most people think they are all the same (and I know that probably you don't even have an idea of which one it is and that's ok).

2. When a package is left at your door without a signature, usually it is because the Shipper has authorized us to do so. You have to understand that FedEx business is with the person who ships the package (95% of the time the one who pays for and contract us). Sometimes shippers say that the package needs a signature, but when they tender us the package they don't mark it as such. And remember, they are the ones that prepare your shipment, so we go by what they contract us to do. We as drivers recognize this and just leave the package (I will release it as long as it's secure to do so).

3. When a FedEx Express driver says he went to your house and you weren't there, most likely he did. I'm not talking about you and your specific situation, OP. But we Express drivers make good money and our management has a zero tolerance to this behavior.

4. When sometimes the package arrives at your local station and gets "stuck", most of the time happens because the package is NOT due for that day. We are so swarmed that management doesn't want ANYONE taking next day deliveries on road.

5. Yes, we are using vendors to fulfill our route needs because the routes have doubled since the pandemic began. Most of the time they don't adhere to our same rules and regulations, and work they routes how they see fit.

6. I know that we have a bunch of lazy drivers. Especially in the sister companies, the quality is just not up to our standards. I'm sorry this has happened to you guys/gals, and if you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way and I'll do my best to help you in anyway I can.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I very rarely get packages from FedEx, but the last time I did a year ago, the guy doesn't even know how to read. Sign on the gate "Please leave open for package." I run out after I see the truck parked and the gate is open. I catch up to him as he's getting into the van, I say "Hey, that's probably mine." He turns around with the package in his hand and says, "Oh this is yours? Here ya go." Oof.

They can't be worse than the USPS can they? I haven't lived in the US for nearly 2 decades, so I'm sure things have changed since then, but when I lived there FedEx used to be great. On the other hand, I had many issues where USPS delivery people would do exactly what OP described.

The US is huge so I'm guessing the quality of one service or the other swings different ways depending on where you are, and during different eras of service. Hope mail gets to you with lesser problems being outside the US! :D

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This happens with a lot of delivery companies - a notorious one in my area even consistently fakes my signature for deliveries.

Amazon doesn't give a fuck.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
As a FedEx driver for a decade, it really warms my heart to watch an entire forum continuously trash every single thing I do and make me feel like a giant pile of shit moron who probably steals their packages and lies about everything I do, talking down about my profession that nearly broke my dad, that contains people going out every day in what is currently an unbelievable cold snap to deliver packages at the very high risk of coming into contact with someone with COVID. But no, I'm just a lazy asshole. Just a lazy asshole who always wears a mask and gloves, disinfects my truck, tries my hardest every day and then gets greeted at the door by someone not wearing a mask because people in their homes don't see us as people.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
and then gets greeted at the door by someone not wearing a mask because people in their homes don't see us as people.

Do you think people walk around their home in a mask all day? I'd imagine most people in their homes don't have their masks on their person when the bell is rung.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Do you think people walk around their home in a mask all day? I'd imagine most people in their homes don't have their masks on their person when the bell is rung.

I keep a mask by the door for whenever I have to answer the door. I'd also just gladly wait for people to say "hey I'll go put a mask on" before throwing the door wide open to get way too close to me. I already dealt with COVID last year because of this and it spread to my mom and almost killed her.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
As a FedEx driver for a decade, it really warms my heart to watch an entire forum continuously trash every single thing I do and make me feel like a giant pile of shit moron who probably steals their packages and lies about everything I do, talking down about my profession that nearly broke my dad, that contains people going out every day in what is currently an unbelievable cold snap to deliver packages at the very high risk of coming into contact with someone with COVID. But no, I'm just a lazy asshole. Just a lazy asshole who always wears a mask and gloves, disinfects my truck, tries my hardest every day and then gets greeted at the door by someone not wearing a mask because people in their homes don't see us as people.

This thread isn't about you, it's about people in the same profession as you.
That's the only tangible link. Of course people are going to shit on the bad one's. Come on now.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
The best part is when they say that even though the package says delivered, you should give it 24 hours after the stated delivery time to file a claim because it might be delivered the next day and was preemptively set as delivered.

So why the fuck did you set it as delivered then if it wasn't close to being delivered?

I have motion detection cameras with smart notifications on every approach angle to my house. Anything detected is recorded and automatically sent to three people in my household within 3 seconds. We're on the line with customer service immediately after any false delivery status.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They do that in my area as well. Pretty sure I've told the story. I have all of my packages delivered to my office, because even though I'm not there, we have 24/7 operations staff who accepts our packages, a huge impossible to miss receiving area, cameras, all deliveries are documented, etc.

Fed Ex is the only one that lies and claims to have attempted to delivery when they haven't. It always happens two or three times until they finally get around to delivering the package. I've complained, pointed out the above, nothing seems to change. I hate when I order something only to later it see it shipped Fed Ex. That means that two day delivery will now be five or six.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I live in Canada. I've used FedEx to ship stuff from Japan because, currently, Canada (shit)Post doesn't allow packages from overseas.
The first time, I believe they left it our mailbox. It was just a calendar after all.
The second time, I owed duties. They actually called me to tell me so and arrange payment. There was only something like 25 minutes wait time after the automated message to get to somebody to talk though. Luckily I just left it on speaker until somebody picked up. The box, of CDs, was left beside our door which is on a second floor and the entrance is in the back. Our address is not very obvious. And I actually make a detour to tell people to take note where it is if I can.

Both times, the package was properly tracked. Departed from Japan almost immediately. Arrived both times in the US (Minneapolis I believe?) and cross the border the next day. And I had my packages in 3-4 days (incl. non-business days).

Might be because I live in a 12k city in a region in Quebec...

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i'm in australia and regularly received fedex parcels from the US or UK without issue for about a decade. however, in the last 1-2 years they have taken a huge nosedive.