• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the term "milkshake duck". It's the most forced thing ever in the entire history of forced things this side of Andromeda. It's not even a thing that happened, it's just something that a Twitter user came up with. Can I get mad about people using it?
The term is fine, but the internet has a bad habit of taking some catchy and overusing it to death, most of the time incorrectly. Then when you point it out to them "lol bro, it's not that deep, why are you getting upset about words".

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is wild. Yo if mods are giving you and the rest of the prominent members™ the go-ahead, then by all means, lol who tf am i.

forgive me queen

Duuude

Literally if you have 27 posts since Oct 27th but manage to show up to say obvious obtuse shit in "controversal" topics. It's pretty obvious what the score is.

Like come on.
I am one of those members with a low post count. I am not a troll or an alt. I just don't have the time to post on here. In fact most of the time I don't log in. I've been here since Resetera started I didn't join until very recently because I'd never thought about it, but becoming a member hasn't really changed how I use the place. When I have the time to come here I look at the front page. I might scan through the first and last pages of one or two threads and usually that's it. Occasionally, like today I look at this page to see if there's anything interesting.
I have noticed the rise of this post count shaming recently and I have to say I have no respect for anyone who resorts to that kind of nonsense. Trolls are usually quite obvious. It's rare that you'll find an intelligent troll so I don't think people really need to be running around warning others about them. Most of the time when I have seen a poster resorting to calling out another user's post count it's been done as a means to dismiss them rather than debate the topic. If you think about it post count shaming could easily become a two way street. What does it tell you about someone's mental state if they spend all day every day posting their hot takes on the internet? Anyway, I hope this trend goes away soon and my fellow lurkers stop being treated with suspicion.

I hear ya though, people with nearly 30,000 posts are super freaks.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm angry because on Tuesday at 1AM my mum passed away and I'm grieving. I feel like shit.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a problem with pointing out when accounts are likely to be troll or alt accounts? The frequency of bigots and concern trolls who eventually get banned having had low post counts on old accounts makes it a pretty easy trend to spot. So the stating of someone's post count is to warn others not to waste their time debating trolls.

I'd say it's a big problem if people actually believe you need to actively post frequently on a forum to have a valid opinion. Maybe people just read threads, and post something once in a while? To me that's healthy behaviour. I'd be far more skeptical of people how have an average count of dozens of posts every day.

If the person in question has a history of trolling, fine, but if you're pulling post count just to discredit someone because you have nothing better to bring to the table, you should do the clever thing instead, and say nothing.

Looks like it happened over at gaming

I can't say I understand the ban there? They say he knows what he's doing, he says he doesn't.

So what was he doing? Because I have no idea, and this actually brings up a problem I have with Era. It seems like you're expected to know inherently every single meme or "thing" that's going on at any given point. I see so many times a bunch of people telling someone else to stop with a line of reasoning, claiming "he knows what he's doing", while the "offender" acts all baffled and ignorant. And I tend to feel equally perplexed to how the offender is behaving. As in, I have no idea what's going on.

And this makes Era feel like a complete minefield at times. I don't have the time, nor do I care, to keep up with all the flavors of the day. It's simply not something I find any sense in bothering with. I assume a lot of people are the same uneducated way about what the latest thing is. Yet, if you participate in a discussion, you're treated like a bigot asshole if you say something that might be of a similar phrasing to something someone somewhere recently decided is bad. You're supposed to know this of course, and you're an asshole, because "you know what you're doing".

I don't, honestly, I have no idea. So please tell me instead of repeating "you know what you're doing".

I feel like I'm surrounded by hormonal, angry teenagers at times.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Duuude

Literally if you have 27 posts since Oct 27th but manage to show up to say obvious obtuse shit in "controversal" topics. It's pretty obvious what the score is.

Like come on.

I hear ya though, people with nearly 30,000 posts are super freaks.

If the majority of those 27 posts are trash then i'm not gonna complain about posters calling them out.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I'd say it's a big problem if people actually believe you need to actively post frequently on a forum to have a valid opinion. Maybe people just read threads, and post something once in a while? To me that's healthy behaviour. I'd be far more skeptical of people how have an average count of dozens of posts every day.

If the person in question has a history of trolling, fine, but if you're pulling post count just to discredit someone because you have nothing better to bring to the table, you should do the clever thing instead, and say nothing.
I don't mean any disrespect by this because I can tell you're being genuine here, but you have no idea what you're talking about. Yeah, what you're saying here sounds great in a vacuum, but it's crucially missing a lot of context. It ignores the specifics of a given thread and the arguments therein. It assumes that people don't first try to reason with low post count trolls. It assumes that we're not aware of the difference between genuine questions and time-worn dog whistles. It assumes that the "better thing to bring to the table" hasn't already been brought, probably dozens of times in that thread already.

This is wild. Yo if mods are giving you and the rest of the prominent members™ the go-ahead, then by all means, lol who tf am i.

forgive me queen
Thank you.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This topic has long outlived any meaningful conversation and is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.