• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not even going to delve into gaming side because thats a den of cunts, a lost cause
That phrase gives me a visual image of a bat cave, but with vaginas flying around instead.

A lot of the old joke posters either quit, got banned or neutered. That combined with the current state of politics just makes for a rough ride. But honestly, it's more suspicious to not be angry at this point.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I like ur thread OP, don't listen to these haytaz

The problem with an optional two minutes' hate is that eventually, people are going to get tired of it and just tune out. Maybe some people like the "LOOK AT THIS THING AND GET ANGRY AT IT" thread genre, and more power to them if that's what they're into and where their posting proclivities lie, but it's probably not a healthy attitude to carry around 24/7, and those who aren't about that don't have to subject themselves to it with the current set of forum tools.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
But honestly, it's more suspicious to not be angry at this point.

I always hate those type of sentiments. People can be informed and actively doing things to try to make a difference without being constantly angry, outraged or depressed. Not having those emotions doesn't mean that they're apathetic or uncaring, or that they're a "fuck y'all, got mine" type, much less that they are supportive of the things people on here oppose and get outraged over.

Healthy, stable people realize that a lot of things in the world and life suck, have always sucked and will always suck--it just changes and shifts on exactly what is sucking at a given time. Healthy, stable people just try to do the best they can to make a difference, while not letting it wreck their mental health or enjoyment of the only life they get. At the end of the day, a lot of things people rage or get depressed about are things that don't effect them directly in the short term. It's silly to let things like that create or worsen mental health issues. It's also irresponsible to not care and not do anything at all to try to make a positive difference. There's a healthy balance between the two. It's just always lacking on forums as such a large percentage of the most frequent posters seem to not be healthy, stable people in the first place.

Last edited:

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what Netflix and chill has to mean. It means doing things together on the cheap. Want to see a movie, but are broke? Watch a movie on Netflix and wait for new releases to hit their or Redbox instead of paying high theater prices. Or go to the dollar theater if you have a cheap one. Find free events for dates around the city. Do free or low cost things like hiking together.

People get too hung up on needing a lot of disposable income to be happy. You need enough to be able to comfortably afford a place to live, food, clothes, utilities and transportation. Having disposable income is of course nice as it opens up a lot more activities, but I know way to many people with lots of extra income who are just as (or more) depressed and miserable than people who just get by fine and don't have much left over for fun (people struggling to make ends meet are the worst off of course).

As above, a lot of it is just being mindful and appreciating what you have and making the most of it. People compare themselves to what others have and are doing way more than at any time in human history with all the showing off people do on social media. We all would like to have more, but many of us don't truly need it and wouldn't be much if any happier for it. It's a capitalist/consumerist trap to all want more (again, not talking about people who can't make ends meet).
Good post, tbh you can be miserable in your personal life, and still not take it out on complete strangers.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Good post, tbh you can be miserable in your personal life, and still not take it out on complete strangers.

Thats a nice, succinct way to put it.

Your life may suck, don't take it out on others.

You may be pissed at news, politics etc. By all means rant about if that makes you feel better. But don't stay angry, depressed etc all the time as it's not worth it and it leads to taking it out on others.

Also don't assume everyone that isn't as outraged as you about something is the enemy. Some just control their emotions better and cope more healthily while still caring and being involved. And people just simply aren't going to agree with you on everything you find offensive and upsetting. That doesn't make them the enemy and you likely agree on tons of other issues and situations. The world isn't black and white where everyone is either an ally perfectly aligned with your views, values and beliefs or the enemy.

I think that type of thing is more what the OP was getting at than people just ranting about Trump and other fucked up news in threads dedicated to those issues. It's that so many let the bad in the world ruin their mood/mental health and are angry and hostile toward others who are mostly on their "side" here on the vast majority of issues. It makes this place much less fun to visit and is going to tank as views and subscription revenue overtime if the negativity and hostility keeps spreading.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, that's just the internet as a whole.

People, in general, are an angry bunch who like to onload their anger on the internet.
I disagree. Yes. the Internet as a whole can be negative but this site has a next level of vitriol that I don't experince anywhere else. It's a constant feel of walking on thin ice and fear that your post will be spinned into something else entirely.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm this close to leaving the site because of its rage culture, honestly.
Honestly, I've thought about it too. I just don't know where I would do the bulk of congregating if I did though.

Also, growth for this site in terms of gaining new members is incredibly slow as around 80-90 percent of the members have been here since the beginning. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if members are getting banned faster than they are coming in, leading to overall negative growth.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think the ResetEra/NeoGaf split brought out the worst of both sides of the community.

The leftist, progressive side (Reset) has become increasingly alarmist and desperate to "milkshake duck" people, and the more right-leaning side (NeoGaf) has turned into an alt-right trashfire.

Before, they kinda cancelled each other out.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Anger for valid reasons is fine. Being angry at fascist politicians is encouraged. Being angry at racist/ignorant family members is fine. Being angry for being discriminated against or because a neighbor won't shut up at 4am is all well and good.

What people seem to lack, unfortunately... is perspective. Being mad about X celebrity doing Y thing is a waste of one's time and energy... unless they're PewDiePie and indoctrinating children into alt-right thought tendencies. He deserves unlimited scorn.

Similarly, being mad over Anonymous Forum Poster Joe Schmoe is also a waste of one's efforts. Constructive debate is fine. If they can't be reasoned with or they're clearly trolling, don't invest any of your time on them and carry on with your day.

Focus and perspective for one's anger is essential. Otherwise, you just get angry at everything and angry at yourself for being angry all the time. Frankly, I often wish that social media wasn't so pervasive as it's conditioned people to just vent instead of act. It fosters complacency when there are endless opportunities to harness one's rage into volunteering, campaigning, protesting and simple self-improvement.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Being angry is fine and understandable given the political and social climate.

It's the snarky attacks on posters that really annoy me. Especially when it really isn't warranted.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Ganja is illegal and classified as a Class A narcotic in Sweden so cant resort to that lol. We are one of the most conservative countries in the world when it comes to legalization of marijuana, maybe 30 years after Canada and the US we will do it. At the earliest.

Whats funny is that if it were made legal, it would stop much of the gang crime and shootings etc. But nah apperantly you can OD and die from smoking to much marijuana (some people and politicians here believe its true).

Bit off topic but it was one of the tips mentioned in the OP. But i have tried the thing a few times still. But its not readily available and quite expensive.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm this close to leaving the site because of its rage culture, honestly.
I left the forum a few months ago after I felt like I was done with the angriness and overall rage that popped up about fucking everyting on gaming side that wasn't related to serious social issues. Oh, a Destiny DLC dropped? Better brag about me being so glad I don't play that shit and so on.

As time went on, I view most users as those idiotic commenters on YouTube. Trying to get a rise out of people because "how fucking dare you to have fun when Trump is president and I don't even care what problems you're having right now in your country because I'm gonna assume you're american like the rest of us" mentality.

Take a leave from the site from time to time, it's not healthy to be exposed to prolonged amounts of time in ResetERA.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
But honestly, it's more suspicious to not be angry at this point.

Suspicious how? I am a person, like many others, who is very weak for getting depression.
The most toxic thing for my health is being angry and/or boredom so i choose a life without being that as much as possible.
My life now is good as it us and thats since more then 20 years. It got only better the more i dropped my anger.

Could you please tell me what makes me look suspicious? I can understand you would call me ignorant coz i dont want to get angry over stuff no more but suspicious?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Anger has become an addictive drug. I don't understand why, but it has. I guess because we live in the narcissistic age of social media, and narcissism breeds judgement and anger of those who are "beneath us" (I mean, look who the President is.)

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the ResetEra/NeoGaf split brought out the worst of both sides of the community.

The leftist, progressive side (Reset) has become increasingly alarmist and desperate to "milkshake duck" people, and the more right-leaning side (NeoGaf) has turned into an alt-right trashfire.

Before, they kinda cancelled each other out.
I hate the term "milkshake duck". It's the most forced thing ever in the entire history of forced things this side of Andromeda. It's not even a thing that happened, it's just something that a Twitter user came up with. Can I get mad about people using it?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Being angry is fine and understandable given the political and social climate.

It's the snarky attacks on posters that really annoy me. Especially when it really isn't warranted.
The recent trend of quoting someone's post count is an evolution of this. Hopefully that gets nipped in the bud quickly.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hate the term "milkshake duck". It's the most forced thing ever in the entire history of forced things this side of Andromeda. It's not even a thing that happened, it's just something that a Twitter user came up with. Can I get mad about people using it?

You can :P

Especially because it is used wrong constantly hahaha.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Because I work hard, struggle to get by, have no friends or anyone who legitimately cares about me. Plus the world is going to shit. Basically, trying to do all the right things, yet feeling alone in a crowd, but no matter what I do, I always feel like I'm drowning or getting fucked in my ass. What keeps me from going totally insane is this hope that maybe things will get a little bit better and suck less.

Why is that difficult to understand? A lot of people feel this way and rightfully so. But I don't take that shit out on y'all. No point because it doesn't lead to anything positive. Just more misery.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty fucking happy in life tbh but then again I don't live and breathe this forum and I don't stick my nose in politics

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
The recent trend of quoting someone's post count is an evolution of this. Hopefully that gets nipped in the bud quickly.
Is there a problem with pointing out when accounts are likely to be troll or alt accounts? The frequency of bigots and concern trolls who eventually get banned having had low post counts on old accounts makes it a pretty easy trend to spot. So the stating of someone's post count is to warn others not to waste their time debating trolls.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mind me, I just hate gyms. It's probably the most boring type of fitness.
It is suuuuuper boring, i agree. But it's still good for you. For all of us. Unless you really go for bodybuilding or that kind of stuff and take steroids and shit.
You don't have to be obsessed with your body to not want it to go to shit.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Is there a problem with pointing out when accounts are likely to be troll or alt accounts? The frequency of bigots and concern trolls who eventually get banned having had low post counts on old accounts makes it a pretty easy trend to spot. So the stating of someone's post count is to warn others not to waste their time debating trolls.

That makes new posters feel less welcome

check their post history instead i guess

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
If "new" posters don't troll then they won't get called out. There's no prejudice against anyone posting in earnest.

sounds like a job for the mods to find out tbh. a lot of trolls on this forum are subtle with it so all people see are slightly suspect new posters being tossed to the side because of a generalisation

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
User Warned: Do not encourage or participate in backseat moderation. This type of behaviour is never acceptable.
sounds like a job for the mods to find out tbh. a lot of trolls on this forum are subtle with it so all people see are slightly suspect new posters being tossed to the side because of a generalisation
You're overcomplicating this so much over a hypothetical problem. Meanwhile new trolls find their way onto the forum every day in pretty much exactly the same way. Most of the people you're referring to are quite familiar with the mods, because we're either friends with them or have filed hundreds of reports or both. If you have a problem you can take it up with the mods yourself, but don't presume to know what they want better than the people they're familiar to.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Brah if you have next to no posts, a registration date of Oct 2017 and manage to find hotbed issue threads to make ridiculous statements, it's all pretty obvious.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Haven't really noticed.

There's plenty to be angry about and using this forum as an outlet for it is a pretty healthy way of dealing with it.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP has it all wrong. We need to hang out with the boys, listen to Imagine Dragons and drink a Mike's Hard Lemonade. That's how you live the good life.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018

I am one of those members with a low post count. I am not a troll or an alt. I just don't have the time to post on here. In fact most of the time I don't log in. I've been here since Resetera started I didn't join until very recently because I'd never thought about it, but becoming a member hasn't really changed how I use the place. When I have the time to come here I look at the front page. I might scan through the first and last pages of one or two threads and usually that's it. Occasionally, like today I look at this page to see if there's anything interesting.
I have noticed the rise of this post count shaming recently and I have to say I have no respect for anyone who resorts to that kind of nonsense. Trolls are usually quite obvious. It's rare that you'll find an intelligent troll so I don't think people really need to be running around warning others about them. Most of the time when I have seen a poster resorting to calling out another user's post count it's been done as a means to dismiss them rather than debate the topic. If you think about it post count shaming could easily become a two way street. What does it tell you about someone's mental state if they spend all day every day posting their hot takes on the internet? Anyway, I hope this trend goes away soon and my fellow lurkers stop being treated with suspicion.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You're overcomplicating this so much over a hypothetical problem. Meanwhile new trolls find their way onto the forum every day in pretty much exactly the same way. Most of the people you're referring to are quite familiar with the mods, because we're either friends with them or have filed hundreds of reports or both. If you have a problem you can take it up with the mods yourself, but don't presume to know what they want better than the people they're familiar to.

This is wild. Yo if mods are giving you and the rest of the prominent members™ the go-ahead, then by all means, lol who tf am i.

forgive me queen

Status
Not open for further replies.