• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cellsplitter

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Anyone saying "Nostalgia", I would like you to try and explain my case.
I never played a RE game until RE2 remake and I loved it. I bought it after seeing all the high reviews.
Days Gone isn't on my radar unless it gets crazy reviews as well.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
It's not just zombie , it's the overall game presentation as well . RE2 has dripping atmosphere and iconic characters , while Day Gone , especially the protag looks generic as hell ? I mean character design is very important where HZD , Uncharted and TLOU succeeded but this guy here just look like the most boring man on earth .

A bike gang member carrying an assault rifle looks boring?
Not sure how or why Nate and Joel look more exciting .... but personal tastes vary.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think TLOU thoroughly defeated this notion in 2013 at the PEAK of zombie saturation. It's all about how you use them and how much the game design relies on braindead AI enemies...you can see it now where people yawn at State of Decay 2 or scoff at Days Gone (we will see if DG can rise above) but the thirst for TLOU2 cannot be quenched

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
To me, it comes down what they do with those zombies, not just the zombies themselves.

RE2 is a survival horror game that has a dense atmosphere and tight level design.
Days Gone is an open world game, which are a dime a dozen these days, that happens to have zombies.

We'll see how Days Gone turns out, but the premise is just not that exciting or interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still wondering what is special or unique about Days Gone. What was the "twist" in the pitch meeting for the game.

Or is it really just open world/biker theme/zombies?

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I have no nostalgia for RE2 so for me they're on the same level.

The thing about Days Gone is that it looks Sony's version of State of Decay: another generic zombie game.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
How does the op know whats on the minds of many? Why do gaming forums think they speak for the masses.

I'm pretty pumped for it.. I'll have my copy at 9pm on Thursday.

Sony had an awesome days gone exhibit at playstation experience 2017

(little clip) https://youtu.be/Lf1V8rC6_74

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's being called tired because it just feels like that, the game really lacks unique identity of what makes it stand out. Besides the overuse of zombies in things, the setting also is typical zombie fiction tropes, the lead character has a very "normal dude" look. What exactly is the hook of the game? The reveal of the game was nothing but video of the main character running from a giant horde of zombies and shooting hundreds of rounds at them with unlimited ammo... not exactly riveting stuff.

Story wise, visual wise, etc.... the game just lacks any real hooks in everything it does. The game looks like from the more detailed previews, but the game lacks any identity to set it apart sadly.

Take Last of Us, many were calling it just another zombie game, but we got a heavy focus on the 2 character story elements that really set it apart. Lot of focus on narrative throughout the games previews and presentations. While Days Gone we just got this random dude who is going around an open world to do fetch tasks? I guess? It's hard to say but it looks like typical open world gather a thon.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
In what world is the appeal of RE2 anything to do with nostalgia? The appeal is the fact there are rarely games like RE2 anymore. The rewarding exploration and feeling of progression throughout is very rare in AAA games these days.

Days Gone just looks like a typical AAA game in comparison.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
RE2 is classic with great characters, story and atmosphere whereas this looks like a boring open worlder on a bike. Hard pass for me.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Apart from a distinct mood and more iconic stuff, RE2 weaves its mechanics and setting so tightly that the presence of zombies feel entirely justified. From their resilience to their appearance and how you deal with them, as well as the more dangerous threats like Mr. X or the lickers. Resi 2 has made me afraid the zombies for the first time in decades. They truely feel like an everpresent decaying presence that you want to avoid more than you fight

I don't think Days Gone looks bad but I am not inspired from what i've seen so far because I don't feel like it has a lot to tell me. The zombies feel like they're here to fill the power fantasy quota (being able to kill hordes of hordes of AI). They could be any creature at all in fact, as long as they fill their role as an AI crowd.

And yeah, the world and protagonist don't make me much compelled either. It's yet another 30 to 40 something gruff white dude who probably has a softer side, whatever. It's another open world in what seems like middleish nondescript america. None of that is strictly unpleasant but I just feel like i've seen this so much of some variant of these combinations recently that I'm just not interested. It just feels too hollywoodian, or designed by comittee. And I feel it's kind of a waste to have a new IP just be another zombie game

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Gamers: "No, we don't need another _______ sequel, they need to work on a new IP."

Also gamers: "Of COURSE a remake of this old entry in an IP with too many entries is better than this new IP that I haven't played at all yet!"

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2, despite being a remake of a 20 year old game, looks fresher than Days Gone to me. Days Gone looks like it checks off a lot of the checkboxes you see in most modern post apocalyptic zombie games.

Aug 29, 2018
RE2 comes off as self aware and has a modicum of that horror cheese, on top of being based on a game made in a certain time that gives it more leeway. It's level design also goes a ways into making it feel more inspired, as opposed to a relatively generic looking open world

Days gone just feels like it is trying too hard at all the wrong things for me, from the facepalmingly cliche staring at the picture of his lost love to the writing I've heard to them constantly insisting freakers are somehow super unique from zombies. Just no faith in that studio

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'll admit it was strong with me, but in glad I only paid $15.99 for the remake. Which is about a 10 hour game. That said, days gone is day one for me, at least I know ill get my moneys worth from it.

RE2 really clicked with me and now I have close to 80 hours into the game. Getting the infinite knife was fun and speedrunning the game has been great as well (not crazy speedrunning, but sub 3 hours). And I still have yet to finish the game on hardcore. That should be another 80 hours or so :)

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no nostalgia for RE2 so for me they're on the same level.

The thing about Days Gone is that it looks Sony's version of State of Decay: another generic zombie game.

Setting-wise State of Decay is pretty generic, but in gameplay it's incredibly unique. Can't think of another zombie game that is a weird, unique mix of an action game and a management sim.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers: "No, we don't need another _______ sequel, they need to work on a new IP."

Also gamers: "Of COURSE a remake of this old entry in an IP with too many entries is better than this new IP that I haven't played at all yet!"
When people ask for new IPs they don't mean "the same shit I've seen before with a different logo".

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone feels like a 2013 marketing meeting come to fruition.

"What's popular?"

"Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead."

"Do it."

As an aside, every Days Gone thread on this board makes me want to play it less and less.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Top ten best-selling games of 2018...

Only game on the list that isn't a sequel is Spider-Man...

Somehow, ERA thinks gamers don't want "the same shit we've seen before", or that being "unique" is somehow the only thing that makes a game worth playing...lulzy...

Oct 27, 2017
To me, the Days Gone reveal wasn't handled too well.

All I could think of was "why does Joel wears a bandana and rides a bike now". The game looked extremely similar to TLOU and even the swarming zombies and the like couldn't kick that thought out of my head.
And I'm sure the game will be great, will have a lot of different locations, it's own soul and personality and I wish the game and its developers the best, but it looking so similar to TLOU created this weird feeling of 'I wish this was TLOU2' which shouldn't be a reason not to play a game. That being said, if general consensus says the game is good, I will buy it once I'm done with Sekiro.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
This is a flawed comparison because they're not the same genre at all. Survival horror is pretty rare these days. Open world story driven games with sneaking and crafting is the most common genre at the moment. That might be less boring if it was part of a unique and interesting premise, but it's not. It's more zombies.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It just doesn't stand out to me. It's hard to explain but even being a remake of an old game Resident Evil 2 just looked exciting and fresh. The art design is great and each zombie being a threat as the outbreak happens just creates a great atmosphere and I really love the linear labyrinth like design.

Days Gone just looks so bland, I can't summon excitement for it. I'm sure some people will love it and I have no doubt a lot of hard work went into it and some of the tech like that new weather demo is awesome, however, it's another open world game i'm starting to really get fatigue with starring yet another grizzled white guy. The next open world game I will get will probably be Horizon Zero Dawn 2 as the first game was sucha breath of fresh air with it's colour, female lead and robot dinasaurs. At first glance that stood out love it or hate it but Days Gone just looks so...brown.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, from everything I've seen, the hate of Days Gone come from the "system wars" mindset.

It reminds me of the criticism of TLOU before it was played and look how it ended up. I haven't seen any example of many zombie games like Days Gone yet.

RE is not like it
Left 4 Dead is not like it (thats a co-op 4 player game)
Dying Light is not like it. It's played FP
TLOU may be like it but that has yet to be seen
Dead Rising is definitely not like it because its more whacky in its approach
State of Decay may be like it but that has yet to be seen

Then theres COD that has zombies, which again is nothing like this so....

... I'm trying to find where this fatigue is coming from when none of these games are like it but maybe just one, and it's made by the same first manufacture. I'm really just confused as to where this is coming from if not from either just straight up not liking open world games, or just a system wars mindset, because saying "zombies" make no sense to me when there is definitely not a lot of "Zombie" games like this on the market right now as we speak.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It reminds me of the criticism of TLOU before it was played and look how it ended up. I haven't seen any example of many zombie games like Days Gone yet.

RE is not like it

... I'm trying to find where this fatigue is coming from when none of these games are like it but maybe just one, and it's made by the same first manufacture. I'm really just confused as to where this is coming from if not from either just straight up not liking open world games, or just a system wars mindset, because saying "zombies" make no sense to me when there is definitely not a lot of "Zombie" games like this on the market right now as we speak.
There is no fatigue, the same people that argue this are the same that say people no longer care for "3rd person action adventure games" even when they clearly sell. All this hate exists only in the internet and it's a system wars thing.
I'm pretty sure Days Gone will review and sell well and then people will shut up about it.

Oct 27, 2017

RE is not like it

Somebody said it before and I think they are right, what they said was the whole post apocalypse zombie stuff has been done in before in different media. In gaming there is nothing like it honestly so I do not agree that there is fatigue.

Anyway, looking forward to playing it because I have been waiting for something on this scale 10 years ago. The only thing I can think of that is kind of similiar to Days Gone is Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare which is really old now.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm interested in getting Days Gone Day 1 since i'm a sucker for zombie games in general but specifically RE2 Remake is a remake so there's a nostalgia factor coming into play there, but even if we broaden to the RE Series, it's hugely associated with defining zombies in games so i feel we automatically give it much more leeway there. Even to RE2remake's credit they actually made zombies fearful again by reinventing their mechanics when they technically could've stayed safe and just copy and paste REremake 1. It's one thing to continue on an existing series, but to establish a new ip yet again reiterating on the zombie genre is where i feel the apprehension justifiably starts. People find it hard to comprehend what new things can be done with games that involve zombies that warrant a day one purchase at least.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no fatigue, the same people that argue this are the same that say people no longer care for "3rd person action adventure games" even when they clearly sell. All this hate exists only in the internet and it's a system wars thing.
I'm pretty sure Days Gone will review and sell well and then people will shut up about it.

That's how I feel. It's being tacked as "boring" but now one really knows how it plays and how much actual "fun" it is going to be. Don't judge a book by it's cover. I think it will be it's own kind of special and it should be given its own benefit of the doubt.

Somebody said it before and I think they are right, what they said was the whole post apocalypse zombie stuff has been done in before in different media. In gaming there is nothing like it honestly so I do not agree that there is fatigue.

Anyway, looking forward to playing it because I have been waiting for something on this scale 10 years ago. The only thing I can think of that is kind of similar to Days Gone is Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare which is really old now.

The walking dead is the only zombie show that I know currently that is doing this. TV is being dominated by many different genres and again, zombies isn't one of them. The zombie phase has died for years now, including vampires which both seem to pop up at the same time. On a side note however, it also kills me that post apocalyptic is being included in the statement as if, well....zombies aren't post apocalyptic. How else should they exist if by their very nature, they create a post apocalyptic world? I'm still stuck at how the two shouldn't have any correlation to each other. It either we are finding a cure or we are trying to survive. How else do you do zombies?

Anyways, it's not that deep tbh. People are going to like what they want and it was it is. I think it's just foolish to hide behind such words and even try to compare how one zombie game is more exciting than the other when from a story stand point, and a game play stand point, they are different yet the same. Just say you don't like this game and move on.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A bike gang member carrying an assault rifle looks boring?
Not sure how or why Nate and Joel look more exciting .... but personal tastes vary.
Yes he looks like a boring generic design . Grizzly White guy fights zombies in a forest vs Handsome White Guy rookie cop gets the most fucked up first day on the job. The Grizzly White guy in the forest is a stereotype at this point lol.

Oct 27, 2017
That's how I feel. It's being tacked as "boring" but now one really knows how it plays and how much actual "fun" it is going to be. Don't judge a book by it's cover. I think it will be it's own kind of special and it should be given its own benefit of the doubt.

The walking dead is the only zombie show that I know currently that is doing this. TV is being dominated by many different genres and again, zombies isn't one of them. The zombie phase has died for years now, including vampires which both seem to pop up at the same time. On a side note however, it also kills me that post apocalyptic is being included in the statement as if, well....zombies aren't post apocalyptic. How else should they exist if by their very nature, they create a post apocalyptic world? I'm still stuck at how the two shouldn't have any correlation to each other. It either we are finding a cure or we are trying to survive. How else do you do zombies?

Anyways, it's not that deep tbh. People are going to like what they want and it was it is. I think it's just foolish to hide behind such words and even try to compare how one zombie game is more exciting than the other when from a story stand point, and a game play stand point, they are different yet the same. Just say you don't like this game and move on.
I mean I understand what you mean but that's how it felt like years ago back. Back in the PS360 times. Some people (especially this forum) still feel that way and what you say is true in that many of them probably didn't even like the genre to begin with.

I hope when this game comes out and does well people would stop making up some false narratives.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia argument doesn't work because RE2 was the first resident evil game I played and it's easily the best game this year so far, days gone just does absolutely nothing to excite me - yet another open world lite-rpg game starting a grizzled white sad dude and the biker aesthetic is just a huge turn off on top of all that.