• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I can't understand how some people don't see the difference in quality between Days Gone and The Last of Us. I don't care at all about Days Gone but The Last of Us 2 is one of my most anticipated games ever. It looks fantastic. Obviously it's not about Days Gone being a Sony game. ERA loves Sony usually.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Who are "people", and why are putting putting words in my mouth.....

people on these forums. i'm not going to do a fucking headcount but they're probably the same people who are very 'concerned' about zombies right now. You implied that people are and were excited for The Last of Us when there was A TON of 'concern' about the use of zombies and the setting and the structure.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Honestly? Because it's an exclusive.

State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall 1 suffered a lot of unfair criticism as well, the only difference is that they were for Xbox.

There is obviously some advantages to being exclusive. One of the disadvantages is that people usually are considerably more harsh on their criticism when your game is in a platform that they aren't engaged or don't even own.
I disagree.

In fact, I think if Days Gone was coming from EA or Ubi etc on all platforms, that it would be getting much less interest (and as a byproduct I suppose, less criticism as people just wouldn't care). The fact it's an exclusive is working in its favour.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
people on these forums. i'm not going to do a fucking headcount but they're probably the same people who are very 'concerned' about zombies right now. You implied that people are and were excited for The Last of Us when there was A TON of 'concern' about the use of zombies and the setting and the structure.
One again what are you talking about....I'm talking about people like myself who "may not like days gone but are interested in/like last of us 1/2?", I was just saying its not always zombie fatigue. Also learn he to have a discussion instead of going into attack mode so quickly.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Well why do you think people may not like days gone but are interested in/like last of us 1/2?
Don't think I said that.

I can't understand how some people don't see the difference in quality between Days Gone and The Last of Us. I don't care at all about Days Gone but The Last of Us 2 is one of my most anticipated games ever. It looks fantastic.

Not admitting that it's capable of being close when it comes to quality, but people really sleeping on Days Gone.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
RE2 is barely about the zombies anyway, they're placed in a way that forces you to solve navigation, resource, and lock-and-key puzzles with some tension. Days Gone hasn't really demonstrated what's special about their zombie situation, so its easy to imagine how it'll probably play out, in my opinion.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's mostly nostalgia. Many of us grew up playing Resident Evil 2 on PS1 and N64 (I know I rented both, but never did finish it in the limited time I had). It's also a classic and one of the best games of all time being remade.

Some people are sick of zombie games, or say they are to shit on new IPs. Days Gone is a new zombie game, so those people are shitting on it.

To each their own, but I'm excited for it and have been since the day it was revealed. I like zombie games and think it looks great.

Edit: They're not even really zombies. People are just calling them zombies.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
So you think the Pacific Northwest is a boring looking region of the world? It's got to be ones of the most naturally beautiful parts of the world, and it's barely ever been touched on in games which means that it has the kind of world that should be fresh to players. I would love to know what you think of normal everyday people if you think an out-of-the-ordinary person like Deacon St. John looks boring. Joel from The Last of Us looks more ordinary and uninspired in his design than Days Gone's protagonist, and nobody gives a shit about that as a reason to dismiss the game, and same goes for the crafting.

I'm guessing the takeaway from your comment is, don't aim for realism. Realism is boring.

I didn't phrase it right and should edit it and remove the "looking" part. I just don't think it's gonna be fun to explore it(which is my opinion about the vast majority of open worlds by the way with a very few exceptions)

What can I say, I just don't like Deacon design, outfit and his backward hat lol. It is what it is.

Shiny Pokemon Hunter

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 5, 2019
Is OP serious?

RE2 Remake is based off of a beloved game.

Days Gone, while I am hyped for it, seems like somewhat of a knock off of The Last of Us.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The zombie part isn't what gets me, it's the open world. Getting burnt out on open worlds as a whole.

Oct 30, 2017
I was done with zombies almost 10 years ago. This game seems late and tired. I don't mind Man McDude as the protagonist but zombies are fucking tired and boring and just feel lazy, at this point.

I would be all over this game if it was just about surviving as a biker after societal collapse. Like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. without the monsters and animals. Hell, my dream game is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in the 70's with bikers and truckers, again no mutants, zombies or monsters.

The humans are monsterous enough.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I don't know how big Zombie games are even a "tired premise". The last one I played was Dying Light and that came out in 2015. I'm 100% ready for Days Gone to happen. I love Survival Horror like RE2 and TEW2, but those are completely different types of games to me and I just need some damn hoards of zombies right about now.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I struggle to think of any modern AAA games that feel like RE2 to play, particularly in terms of level design, all I can think of is well.. RE7.

I've never been a huge zombie fan but the classic Resident Evil formula of exploring and backtracking through a small but dangerous location slowly unlocking it's secrets always appealed. I do also think RE's monster variety tends to be better than most zombie series. I don't know much about Days Gone in particular but all too often in other series all you get is different types of zombie, so maybe a faster variation, a stronger one or the bloated one that explodes(RE7 has this issue too admittedly). The lore of RE allowing for any random crazy science experiments getting loose means we can get lickers, hunters, tyrants, giant animals. The greater visual variety in what your fighting really helps me feel less jaded.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
For me it's not about the zombies, it's about the Sony open-world narrative game they've been pushing this generation. I'm not saying any of them are bad, I'm just extremely fatigued on open-world anything lately. So at the end of the day, Days Gone is a "wait and see" sort of game than a must buy.

Also RE2R always looked amazing from the very first trailer of the game.

Oct 31, 2017
RE2 is a classic while Days Gone's quality is unknown at the moment.

DG is also an open world game (the template for those games tends to be pretty samey) and it's pretty LTTP to the serious zombicalypse explosion that happened following TWD.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I honestly think it can be summed up as the tone of it.

While its not "The Walking Dead" zombie survival in the modern era has been a major cultural event for awhile.

I think people are just burned out on the setting/tone of it from all the major releases that are of that nature.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil is more than zombies. Which is why now the majority of the series had all different kind if monsters over standard zombies.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not tired of zombies at all. I think they're naturally good enemy types in video games.

Days Gone (from the preview perspective) feels generic and boring for other reasons -- The bogstandard/bland protagonist design, the bogstandard/bland open world formula. (These things could turn out to be false, though. Maybe there's more to it than is initially apparent. But that's just my feeling so far -- Zombies aren't the problem.)

Resident Evil games have their own feeling, pace, and quirky style. It's hard to call them bogstandard or bland.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Part of my interest in Resident Evil 2's remake was the return to its classic level and game design you don't really see in today's games. The closest thing I've played this gen is probably Resident Evil 7 which was still pretty different and before that? Perhaps Soma or Amnesia years ago which are both very different. I don't want to shit on Days Gone being open world as I've enjoyed a good few this generation but I just honestly don't feel very excited for it and hope to see some reviews and opinions that change that.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
As others have highlighted there it's about more than having zombies. Tonally Resident Evil 2 is far closer to Die Hard than The Walking Dead.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
Nostalgia culture. Honestly, Days Gone looks far better than RE2 Remake. Confronting 2-3 slow, incapable zombies in flat hallways was good 20 years ago, not anymore. I want the genre to move forward but Capcom isn't delivering it.

Part of my interest in Resident Evil 2's remake was the return to its classic level and game design you don't really see in today's games. The closest thing I've played this gen is probably Resident Evil 7 which was still pretty different and before that? Perhaps Soma or Amnesia years ago which are both very different. I don't want to shit on Days Gone being open world as I've enjoyed a good few this generation but I just honestly don't feel very excited for it and hope to see some reviews and opinions that change that.
For a good reason.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
UK
At the very least RE2 is happening when an outbreak is happening. It's kind of a dull and overused premise dealing with a world already been messed up over some kind of event/disaster.

Also one is already a classic, one looks like the must TRIPLE A video game made for the lowest common denominator.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i think zombie fatigue is just an excuse people use to express why they're not that excited about days gone. there really aren't that many big, high budget zombie games in recent history as people like to think. the reason for lack of people's excitement is something entirely different, imo. new IPs are always judged more harshly than new games in already beloved and established series. people were on board for RE2 from the moment they realized there's gonna be a remake, before even seeing a single screenshot. of course the game turning out to be really good helped too. for any new IP, people are left wondering why it even exists if it's not doing anything new or unique, or doing something that has been done before exceptionally well. i think that's why days gone is suffering from a lack of hype in enthusiastic communities, people aren't able to point out why it should exist in the first place or what new thing it's bringing to the table, it just seems to be bringing a bunch of idea from other successful games together without having much of an identity of its own, doesn't help that the setting and characters aren't resonating with many people. of course, it's not gonna matter too much in the end as the hype level of hardcore gamers isn't the be all end all for games, days gone is (according to people like benji) already tracking to be a commercial hit.
At the very least, Oregon be thirsty for representation.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Because one is a western studio and one is Japanese. Same reason bloodborne 2 is winning a poll over games like horizon 2,spider man 2 and God of war 2 here.

People here love their Japanese games. They'll love yakuza 68 but complain ubisoft games are too samey.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least RE2 is happening when an outbreak is happening. It's kind of a dull and overused premise dealing with a world already been messed up over some kind of event/disaster.

Also one is already a classic, one looks like the must TRIPLE A video game made for the lowest common denominator.

lol come on guy. Calling people who are interested in a game you aren't, one that hasn't even released "the lowest common denominator" is crummy. Let's not do that.

For the record, this thread's intention isn't to shit on Days Gone, so let's not get too vitriolic towards one game or the other please and thank you!

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't World War Z game be Days' competition? How successful is that game?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because one is a western studio and one is Japanese. Same reason bloodborne 2 is winning a poll over games like horizon 2,spider man 2 and God of war 2 here.

People here love their Japanese games. They'll love yakuza 68 but complain ubisoft games are too samey.

There is some truth to this, especially to the final paragraph. What number is Resident Evil even on now anyway? The next one will be what, number 8, not even including all the re-releases, remasters and remakes?

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

It breaks my heart to see posts like this because REmake 2 zombies are so special for the genre, this is so reductive and disingenuous.

Not even the original Resi 2 comes close to how the undead are masterfully portrayed in this 2019 take, it's so fresh and well executed that seeing the freakers in Days Gone feels just...kinda bland, that's all.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
There is a lot of truth to this, especially to the final paragraph. What number is Resident Evil even on now anyway? The next one will be what, number 8 not even including all the re-releases, remasters and remakes?
I mean all Resident Evil games are pretty different design-wise compared to AC also AC is way more frequent even if RE as a franchise is older.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean all Resident Evil games are pretty different design-wise compared to AC also AC is way more frequent even if RE as a franchise is older.

Fairly different, sure, though not nearly as different to each other as they are to Days Gone for example.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
It breaks my heart to see posts like this because REmake 2 zombies are so special for the genre, this is so reductive and disingenuous.

Not even the original Resi 2 comes close to how the undead are masterfully portrayed in this 2019 take, it's so fresh and well executed that seeing the freakers in Days Gone feels just...kinda bland, that's all.
At least you can fight the infected animals in Days Gone...

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Uhh, RE2 is a remake of a classic game and is very tight in its experience. Pacing, level design, etc. Also 10-12ish hours to complete (this should also be a "travesty" and "way too short" by the standards for modern games, but I digress).

Days Gone seems to just be checking all the standard modern boxes: zombies, survival, dynamic world, rpg-lite elements. Maybe some classic Sony walk n' talk (Uncharted, TLOU, God of War). I've yet to see what it really brings that's unique. But, that's all without really seeing significant gameplay or reviews. It might just turn out to meld together in a way that's much better than Dying Light or State of Decay.

Lastly, they also don't make a lot of games like RE2 anymore. Frankly, I think it's a masterpiece of game design.

That said, I hope Days Gone is really good. I even have it preordered. But if the reviews reveal my fears to be true I will have no problem cancelling.

Last edited:

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
To me it's not just the zombies but also the protagonists, the biker theme and the biker dude is extremely unappealing.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Some top notch dog AI right there.

Nice for you to say because the point of comparison in the thread is not even out yet, and after playing it twice in preview events, that game felt a lot more janky to me.

Jesus, that wasn't even the topic in the conversation you quoted.