• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The whole "every game is an RPG anyways", while not completely false, seems like the sort of thought-terminating cliched platitude that doesn't really do anything other than stifle discussion.

Cyberpunk 2077 has a character sheet with 5 stats like Body, Intelligence, "Cool", etc. These branch out into skills like Athletics and Hacking. In the demo we saw, the netrunner character without enough Athletics (less than 8) wasn't able to breach through a door to find a shortcut into a main atrium-like area, so instead had to hack into a computer to disable cameras and things like that. We saw someone visit a shop with different jackets and tshirts with different stats on them. There's also the Street Cred system which I don't think we've seen much about, mostly just told. Each character, including NPCs, has an integer level next to their name: IIRC, Placide is level 40. I haven't even brushed up on the sorts of things we saw relating to RPG mechanics with the Ripperdoc modding we saw last year.

You can have discussions about whether the genre or term "RPG" means much anymore, sure. But Cyberpunk is going to have more than just a couple talent trees and perks based on what they've shown so far. I wouldn't hesitate to call it an RPG at all, and the developers still do too. In my opinion, everything in the OP is for marketing to a wider audience (as many have also already stated).

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "every game is an RPG anyways", while not completely false, seems like the sort of thought-terminating cliched platitude that doesn't really do anything other than stifle discussion.
Having a skill tree does not make a game an RPG anymore so you're 100% right there.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
As long as it stands that wait outside the Box I'm OK, please dont dumb it down too much..