• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Ok, so apparently CDPR changed the "genre" of Cyberpunk2077 in the last 12 months, the E3 2018 trailer is describing Cyberpunk 2077 as an RPG
jqK7LBf.png

12 months later, the E3 2019 trailer, the Twitter page and the website are describing Cyberpunk as an open world action adventure and there's no mention of RPG anymore.
pNVRqL6.png

skwFyPk.png

ogLzf12.png

Oct 26, 2017
Probably to appeal to more people in marketing. Its also probably the same reason the box art and stuff is so bland.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
a) Marketing, possibly.

b) Why the fuck not? The terms "RPG" and "action adventure" are borderline meaningless. RPG gets slapped on anything where you make a number go up at some point, I've seen it applied to everything from Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect to Diablo to Horizon Zero Dawn. Meanwhile action adventure is just a catch-all for games where action happens that don't fit into a more defined genre.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In order to attract the 100 million people who purchased GTA 5. That is literally the only reason.

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Why does it matter? When was the last RPG meant anything but "Stats/Levels" in a AAA title?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Action role-playing game doesn't really roll off the tongue, and calling it an action-adventure would probably not be wrong given the nature of the direct controls. It also makes it sound like it might play more like a Dishonored or Prey in real time, which seems good to me. I never expected there to be number crunching for hit/miss and that kinda stuff in the background like in The Witcher, but perhaps I'm in the minority on this.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
because gta sold 100 million copies. same reason why the e3 2018 trailer looked like it did.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
It actually sounds a lot more like a RPG than The Witcher 3 ever was, so that is kind of interesting.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's because CDPr wants Fallout and Elder Scrolls fans to see a game that's for them, when they look at 2077.
Not some nerdy roleplaying stats thing for nerds.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean isn't it? In every instance we've seen the game, action has been the focal point not ways of stealthily dispatching foes or avoiding them altogether. I think applying action to the description is more accurate.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
marketing seems leaning towards the FPS/Far Cry-ish audience, which i guess makes sense. if open world RPGs are your jam you already know to buy this

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They're not going to scare anyone away and the fans will know it's still an RPG.

Assassin's Creed has been tricking people into RPG mechanics for quite a while.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean isn't it? In every instance we've seen the game, action has been the focal point not ways of stealthily dispatching foes or avoiding them altogether. I think applying action to the description is more accurate.

Dishonored is also an action-adventure. The action part of "action-adventure" is more about the way you interact with the world, i.e. 1:1 rather than a level of abstraction in between action and effect like what you get with an action input window.

Last edited:

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I just assume literally every single game being made currently is an RPG with dumb ass bars to fill, so no point in slapping RPG on anything anymore.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is not what they showed at e3. They did have stealth.
Really? They largely showed off Karezikoff, and the gunplay. There was hardly much sneaking in that demo. Like I said action was the focal point, not alternate ways of competing objectives... Although those were mentioned.

This year was an action packed cg trailer.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It's simply marketing, nothing more. The behind closed doors demo left people with the impression that it was especially diving into the RPG stuff.

Mar 19, 2019
For the same reason William Gibson, creator of the cyberpunk genre, called it GTA with generic retrofuturism instead of "cyberpunk"; because it simply doesn't do enough to establish proper genre legitimacy.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Because it may reflect how the game feels. It might be more action heavy and less stat heavy than Skyrim which in turn were all these things compared to oblivion.

It is a question I hope journalists ask in the future. Nice catch.