• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what i understand the pic is misleading and there's a better pic making rounds...with that said, what makes it "brooklyn bbq" does it have it's own special bbq sauce or seasonings that's different from others?
What makes Brooklyn BBQ special, its that its not even a shadow compared to the real thing, but yet, because New York can't stand that other areas of the U.S. are also culturally significant, lost souls prop up no talent clowns and elevate them beyond that what their talent dictates, throw a "New York/Brooklyn" sign on it and then claim that if it appears anywhere in the world its their style.

Obviously, there are delicious versions of "BBQ" from all over the world...and not one of those places is Brooklyn.

Pizza? Hot Dogs? Delis? New York has no peer. BBQ, GTFO.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there even room to open air BBQ in Brooklyn?

The lot you'd use to cook is probably worth a million and a half easy.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
As a Kansan native, I'm happy everyone is shitting on that awful plate of BBQ.

But I found the article rather interesting. It isn't like a "Brooklyn BBQ is the best" type article. It is legitimately asking "why is Brooklyn BBQ popping up around the world?" I think the answer is pretty straight forward though: international culinary folks are not going to Texas, Kansas City, Memphis, etc to expand their overall culinary knowledge. They are going to NYC where they can try anything, and stumble upon these BBQ restaurants. There are chefs out there traveling to smaller cities to get a more focused look at food, but I think this author was just focusing on those saying their inspiration for BBQ came from Brooklyn.

There is also a little bit in there about how Brooklyn BBQ allows for some improvisation, which makes it easier for international chefs to bring back to their home country and adapt it to attract customers. Now, in my opinion, there are strict rules to classify food as BBQ. In the article, there is like a pork kebab, and that would never be considered BBQ where I'm from; it's a kebab. Some people call grilling meat a BBQ, and that's cutting real close.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Kansan native, I'm happy everyone is shitting on that awful plate of BBQ.

But I found the article rather interesting. It isn't like a "Brooklyn BBQ is the best" type article. It is legitimately asking "why is Brooklyn BBQ popping up around the world?" I think the answer is pretty straight forward though: international culinary folks are not going to Texas, Kansas City, Memphis, etc to expand their overall culinary knowledge. They are going to NYC where they can try anything, and stumble upon these BBQ restaurants. There are chefs out there traveling to smaller cities to get a more focused look at food, but I think this author was just focusing on those saying their inspiration for BBQ came from Brooklyn.

There is also a little bit in there about how Brooklyn BBQ allows for some improvisation, which makes it easier for international chefs to bring back to their home country and adapt it to attract customers. Now, in my opinion, there are strict rules to classify food as BBQ. In the article, there is like a pork kebab, and that would never be considered BBQ where I'm from; it's a kebab. Some people call grilling meat a BBQ, and that's cutting real close.
Just because folks are trying bad Brooklyn BBQ, and then they are also making "bad" BBQ doesn't mean anyone is copying anything. It means that they are both bad.

Besides, most major chefs are aware of the big time names in BBQ.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The picture in the OP has been rightfully shit on. Trying new things in BBQ is something that is fine but it's all about the execution.

I need to try Heirloom Market in Atlanta badly. Have heard great things. But there's a lot of places in Texas I need to visit. Franklin's obviously being one. Brooklyn BBQ is definitely not something I'd ever put on my list to try.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just because folks are trying bad Brooklyn BBQ, and then they are also making "bad" BBQ doesn't mean anyone is copying anything. It means that they are both bad.

Have you actually had BBQ in Brooklyn? Or are you just basing this on the picture in the OP?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
In the South this would get laughed at.

Looks at image in OP....

giphy.gif

"BBQ"

...are you serious.......continues laughing.

Have you actually had BBQ.....?

Not if they ate anything that looks like what's in that picture.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does BBQ look like will Done steak?

beef and pork bbq tend to use tougher cuts of meat full of tendons and connective tissue as well as fat. so to cook it properly you have to cook it low and slow so all that shit breaks down and the fat renders. also you also have to cook it well past your typical internal temperature that a steak would be cooked at. typically anywhere from 196-203 degrees internal for stuff like pork shoulder and brisket. if you don't do those things you're gonna have a nasty ass piece of the toughest meat you've ever eaten.

GodofWine

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That picture and that headline, was a ploy for attention, and BOY did they get it.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That picture and that headline, was a ploy for attention, and BOY did they get it.
Yup. You dont mess around with Southerners and BBQ. BBQ is no joking matter.

In one fail swoop, Munchies united Kansas City, Memphis, the Carolina's and Texas BBQ lovers in a unified assault. Pretty impressive.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

It took me a minute to figure out what you were trying to say, and I get it now.

And yes, most major chefs are aware of the big names in BBQ, but the restaurants that the writer was focusing on were restaurants they encountered in their travels. Most chefs know if you want the best brisket, you go to Joe's KC. A newer chef who doesn't have a lot of money may just do one culinary trip to NYC for inspiration, and they wouldn't have the means to travel around the south and midwest to try the different styles of BBQ.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took me a minute to figure out what you were trying to say, and I get it now.

And yes, most major chefs are aware of the big names in BBQ, but the restaurants that the writer was focusing on were restaurants they encountered in their travels. Most chefs know if you want the best brisket, you go to Joe's KC. A newer chef who doesn't have a lot of money may just do one culinary trip to NYC for inspiration, and they wouldn't have the means to travel around the south and midwest to try the different styles of BBQ.
No, they go to Franklin's or Snow's but thats a different conversation. :D

Its just "bad" there is no real style there. For example. I make bad Korean food. Most people make bad Korean food. I can't then say, the rest of the world is coyping my bad Korean food! Its taking over the world! Its just all bad.

If Brooklyn was truly doing something different (even that coffee thing has to be a joke as specifically Aaron Franklin does that in his sauce and a few others), then that would be one thing. But its not. Its just bad. And in some of those other places (which is also B.S. because many of those countries have their own style of BBQ and its incredible) they are trying to make bbq but its bad.

Regardless, it really was a great troll, and actually really funny.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
beef and pork bbq tend to use tougher cuts of meat full of tendons and connective tissue as well as fat. so to cook it properly you have to cook it low and slow so all that shit breaks down and the fat renders. also you also have to cook it well past your typical internal temperature that a steak would be cooked at. typically anywhere from 196-203 degrees internal for stuff like pork shoulder and brisket. if you don't do those things you're gonna have a nasty ass piece of the toughest meat you've ever eaten.
Well that's what my crock pot is for.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Well that's what my crock pot is for.
Looks like you've already been corrected, but yeah, it's not the same thing. Smoking something versus cooking it slowly in a crockpot is a different thing entirely.

This thread is now a place for those of us that make BBQ to post some pictures. I don't have any great pictures of brisket other than the last one when I sliced it. May be able to find more later.

4ede8b2a-5991-44df-bqoul0.jpeg

1781d0dc-6c01-4e13-9e9ufu.jpeg

69cf57fa-e72e-4595-alkuk5.jpeg

c629d645-d3ef-488d-9i8k1s.jpeg

Last edited:

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Ya'll got trolled by Vice. That photo and headline looks intentionally bad. That photo is really shitty and not a good representation of the bbq at Fette Sau. I've been there and its pretty good. I'm sure its way better in the South but as far as NYC bbq goes, Fette Sau is one of the better ones.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
williamsburg is so godamn edgy, they can serve shit and people will be licking their lips.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
looks like expensive tourist trap BBQ for people with more money than I could ever imagine

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmfao that is some SAD looking BBQ, as someone who grew up and went to school in the south. I could get better BBQ at a local fast food bbq chain. Also, charging $40 for that plate of BBQ in Australia is fucking nuts.

But yah, there are certain foods NYC has absolute claim to have some of the best in the world, but stuff like southern BBQ is ridiculous and just edgy gastronomic types trying to create hype. Get outta here with that shit.

Dec 9, 2017
The itis is a requirement for BBQ and those meager portions of meat in that article wouldn't put anybody to sleep.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
After having Willow's over the weekend here in Houston, I'll say it again, hot damn it's good to live in Texas. (sometimes)

That said, I've seen a recent trend on foodie channels on YouTube (I don't have or watch real tv) lately highlighting BBQ places in NYC, Brooklyn, NJ, etc and I'm still not convinced.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they have to do BBQ a certain way or I don't consider it BBQ. After all, there's a reason certain food types have regional monikers, and Northeast BBQ should by all means find their own identity, but what I've seen so far doesn't look or sound good. Prep methods, ingredients, and variety seem to be lacking. I'll definitely try it when I'm up there one day, but until then I don't feel I'll be missing out.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After having Willow's over the weekend here in Houston, I'll say it again, hot damn it's good to live in Texas. (sometimes)

That said, I've seen a recent trend on foodie channels on YouTube (I don't have or watch real tv) lately highlighting BBQ places in NYC, Brooklyn, NJ, etc and I'm still not convinced.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they have to do BBQ a certain way or I don't consider it BBQ. After all, there's a reason certain food types have regional monikers, and Northeast BBQ should by all means find their own identity, but what I've seen so far doesn't look or sound good. Prep methods, ingredients, and variety seem to be lacking. I'll definitely try it when I'm up there one day, but until then I don't feel I'll be missing out.

You aren't missing out on anything. A few places in the area have legitimately good BBQ. But at its best, it's not close to as good as you will find in classic BBQ regions. But since I can't afford to fly to Texas whenever I want BBQ, it more than fills the need.