• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
'North Brooklyn"

holdup, are they trying to rename Greenpoint or Williamsburg?
I mean, they are in North Brooklyn. That's not a neighborhood, it's a general geographic signifier.
How many people actually got beyond the pic and made it to the point of the article?

Basically no one, as this thread demonstrates.

lmao

Is that kinda like exporting Hoboken New Jersey around the world? because I'm pretty sure no one ever wanted a piece of Brooklyn, even back in the 80s when it was cool. Hipsters can convince themselves of anything.

Brooklyn wasn't cool in the 80s, unless you were trying for street cred in your rap songs. Restaurants opening up as the article talks about for "Brooklyn style" is a pretty clear indicator that the name carries worldwide cachet at this point, especially since that's where all the "cool" stuff is now that young people are by and large priced out of Manhattan.

No one has cared about Hoboken, so you're right about that.

The tray in the article is an exaggeration, but I've been to Fette Sau's, one of the hipster BBQ places in Williamsburg and the portion sizes were pathetic. Its was mega tasty, but you needed to spend around 40 bucks per person get one of the decently sized BBQ plates posted.

If you want to eat at a place that's gotten written up, you kind of have to. I think New York has plenty of cheaper tasty food, but it's certainly not going to be as common and you can go pretty much any other city and get equivalent stuff for cheaper. The thing NY really has going for it is the sheer variety of good to excellent worldwide cuisine in heavy concentrations.

(Going to Philly and NoLA recently reminded me how crazy the prices are for eating out here.)

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
From the OP,this is definitely becoming a thing in Sydney, Australia but we're calling it "American BBQ".

9647.jpg

That tray will set you back $60 AUD ($46.51 USD)

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As someone that smokes meat as a hobby that OP is embarrassing. I get that it is a restaurant but that is sad, we have much better "mom and pop" places where I live in Illinois.

If any of you reading this are into BBQ and have the space look into smoking meat. It isn't all that difficult and the results are from "good" to amazing. Once you get the hang of it you can make it like you prefer and save a lot of money.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
my 1st real american bbq experience were blue smoke and hill country barbecue market in manhattan
hopefully they weren't too bad for era's standards :P

Biochet

Oct 28, 2017
yo not gonna lie, fette sau has the best bbq i have ever had. i go there atleast 4 times a week.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I had fogo de chao on dc since it was pretty close to our hotel, man it was an amazing experience
As a Brazilian do you think it's good and authentic?
Fogo de Chão is pretty damn good. I've only been to an US location once, though, and it didn't have the meat variety they have down here. But it's still very much the same traditional churrasco experience we love.

If you ever visit São Paulo or Porto Alegre, though, be sure to check out some of the more traditional churrascarias like Vento Haragano. You just never want to leave them.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
BBQ is the one thing the South has over the North.

That and some other shit Im too tired to think of.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the true reason for Texas's succession and Southern militias' invasion of Bushwick, as depicted in the documentary, Bushwick.
220px-Bushwick_poster.jpg

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading past the awful picture, I'm still not sure what separates Brooklyn BBQ other than "loose style" which can be said of multiple BBQ joints across the country.

"We use an espresso rub!" the chef proudly proclaims, but coffee based rubs aren't new or geographically specific to New York.

Also, the original article is from 2014? I'm so confused about everything.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Reading past the awful picture, I'm still not sure what separates Brooklyn BBQ other than "loose style" which can be said of multiple BBQ joints across the country.

"We use an espresso rub!" the chef proudly proclaims, but coffee based rubs aren't new or geographically specific to New York.

Also, the original article is from 2014? I'm so confused about everything.
literally nothing other than "i dont want to leave NY for good bbq so i will delude myself into believing this is the best there is".

i dont even eat red meat much anymore and that's just a sad pile of "bbq"

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I could accept this as maybe a modern art movement that seeks to create the culinary equivalence of watching your parents die.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I read the article and still don't get it. "Brooklyn Style BBQ" seems to just mean shitty, inauthentic BBQ, backed up by pictures that look awful.

KC Style BBQ isn't supposed to stand for King's County.

Actually, you know what? There ARE two good Brooklyn based BBQ places: Gatesat 12th & Brooklyn and Arthur Bryantsat 18th & Brooklyn.

Last edited:

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't decide between joke send-up image or repping how much better BBQ is literally everywhere else in the country than Brooklyn...
mabels-michael-symon-6.jpg

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Just...oh the comedy on all levels.

(1) Of course the pic of the BBQ is ridiculous in and of itself. Thats something I might expect from an elementary school cafeteria.
(2) Then there is the comedy of all things (New York/Brooklyn), that that the hipsters have to celebrate.
(3) Then there is the fact that New York/Brooklyn just has to claim that its their version that is somehow influential when it clearly isnt.
(4) Of course, then its also the troll/unintentionally troll of the whole thing where every one else is like WTF?

Oh...that made me laugh. That was a good one.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
From what i understand the pic is misleading and there's a better pic making rounds...with that said, what makes it "brooklyn bbq" does it have it's own special bbq sauce or seasonings that's different from others?