• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Does everyone just have a bunch of friends they can jump on voice chat and play with? Because that's the only way I can see this game being fun. I downloaded it on my phone the other day hoping i could kill some time, but I honestly would've gotten more enjoyment watching a gacha game auto battle for me.

Joining a match is a pain. You get a list of games with player count And you can select the and and amount of imposters. Many games you try to pick end up being full, even when you go for one with a low count. Or you get some error about versions not matching. After a few attempts and you get into a match, there's a good chance host leaves, or you get booted after a few seconds about the versions not matching. If you survive all that, often times about half the group will drop in the first minute.

In the few times I actually get a working game going, I get to talk around figuring out what to do. Looking at my map and seeing what tasks I have to perform. Oh wait. Dead body found. Well, no one really has info so we should just skip. A few people aren't voting so we're going to wait the entire 1:45 or however long it is. Ok finally skipped. Let's do something. Oh wait. Another dead body. No info. People calling each other 'sus'. Going to wait another two minutes in this chat room. Ok, now I can EMERGENCY MEETING! What's the emergency. No one's talking. Cool. Got to wait this out now. Another dead body found. Now we get some info. People accusing me. Whatever. I'm so bored I want to be ejected.

TLDR: It's a whole lot of dull chatroom with strangers and a tiny slice of interactivity if you're lucky.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Name another game that does what it does

U have five seconds

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
it's werewolf with a very good interface during a period where people have to reduce their social contacts.

Werewolf is a very fun game to start with but most ways to play it before have been very by the books online and boring to play.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Does everyone just have a bunch of friends

Yes. It's a free game that's simple to play so anyone could pick it up.

If you don't have friends or anyone to play with it. Sucks for you. It's not a game you play with strangers imo.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I played with other 9 friends with voice chat and I was crying of laughter the whole two hours that we played

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Streamers.

Also, it's fun, but it would have never (and it didn't) take off if it wasn't because streamers found about it and went nuts.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
OfflineTV made it their go to game and then it spread through twitch like wildfire.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Its very fun with freinds and free on mobile.

I think more than that though its built a life and community on its own of people creating youtube videos.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Among Us but I prefer Project Winter for the looks and more free form gameplay. Feels like way more dynamic stuff can happen.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know a surprising number of people who play it by just looking for a random lobby and using text chat.

That's the audience I find surprising. I've played the game that way before, and it's not enjoyable at all.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
You have to play with friends or people you know at least a litte, yes. It's clearly what it's made for.
I couldn't even imagine playing this with randoms.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's free on mobile, and strongly adapts a game style (Hidden Identity/Werewolf) that is already tremendously popular in card/board games. If you have a friend group that plays casual games over Discord (which many people have formed since lockdown) - it's very, very easy to get people onboard. Simple style, easy to learn mechanics, and mostly self-explanatory controls.

Plus, it streams well. So when it got popular on Twitch - it got VERY popular. Combine that with the low barrier to entry, and you've got a huge game.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Trouble in terrorist town
Isn't the concept just trouble in terrorist town ? And any other who dunnit game
I mean its basically Trouble in terrorist town with the FPS/skill element eliminated.

Plus its perfect for the streaming/discord gaming world of 2020

TTT, which I used to play with my friends like 8 years ago.

And for the reason Fox318 mentioned:

The only other game y'all could think of relies on being an FPS and looks grim, muddy and dire

D50tR.jpg

The barrier to entry is comparatively low for Among Us, is on mobile, and it has a fun visual aesthetic

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
My assumption is the ease of access (available on mobile for free, $5 on Steam), popularity of streaming and many people love social deduction games.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Its more enjoyable with friends of course, but still fun with randoms. Good thing is the games are short so if you have crappy randoms that leave or other issues you can easily join a different group.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
During the early days of COVID, my friends and I would play weekly video call trivia where a different person would host it each time. We'd have anywhere from 6 to 20 people playing. With the last days of nice weather ending, we're going to be looking for another similar activity. It's an amazing social game that's super easy for non-gamers to play & understand. It's fast-paced Mafia, essentially, and everybody has a decent shot of being the bad guy.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its like a board game or cards, best played with friends and family. if you dont have either its gonna suck

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll ever play the game due to how unlikely it would be to gather up a party large enough to enjoy it, not something I want to play with randoms. It's a fun game to watch streams of though.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

The only other game y'all could think of relies on being an FPS and looks grim, muddy and dire

D50tR.jpg

The barrier to entry is comparatively low for Among Us, is on mobile, and it has a fun visual aesthetic

My point is just that Among Us wasn't the first game of its kind. I definitely agree that it's more approachable.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

D50tR.jpg

There's this other game

And then there is Town of Salem too which is closer to Among Us in terms of accessibility:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

D50tR.jpg

The barrier to entry is comparatively low for Among Us, and it has a fun visual aesthetic

I mentioned of terrorist town because the concept is similar which is what I thought you meant. Aesthetics wasn't a factor. But yeah accessibility and entry level is a big thing.

OP
OP
Heart of Poumn
Oct 25, 2017
I get it being fun with friends. I just didn't think that it would be the common use case. Especially with this game because you need to fill in more people than a typical 3/4 person game.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It's a free social game that's easy to play and is available on phones.

It's like playing Mafia (Werewolf) or something.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
It's a very unique games and approachable. Don't recall another game like it. I can't describe it very well but it does reflect society in unique ways with group think. My wife and kids who don't play a lot of games can play it. The game plays on nearly any platform too. It's not my cup of tea but I see why it is popular.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been playing with randoms and using text chat and it hasnt been too bad. Its obv better with friends in discord, but if youre like me and have no friends, it still works just fine.

I think the price point, the social deduction, and the popularity on Twitch have exploded this game's popularity. I do wish there was more to it (ranked mode or battlepass esque unlocks) but even with it being somewhat limited, its still a good time.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The game with text chat is one thing, but it feels like an whole another game with voice. I'd suggest you give it a try with voice chat, there are a bunch of LFG Discord servers.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very fun social game you can can play at home while social distancing, and it has literally zero buy-in since the phone version is free and has cross play with the PC version.