• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just assume that there is no black VA that can speak Japanese for this game. If this was the case would it really be that hard to just find a black VA that is able to work with a voice director on how to say their lines properly in Japanese? If he doesn't have tons of lines it would add what 1-2 days of prep time for the VA to nail their delivery on a handful of lines? Heck even if it isn't the best it would still be a good effort.
In this extreme hypothetical, I would expect the entire voice cast to be Japanese???? Japan has no shortage of works that feature multinational casts, and it's expected just as a matter of prscticality that their actors will be Japanese VAs from the industry. Like, I watched G Gundam subbed just fine.

So this only draws even more attention to this choice. Why go through the trouble of getting a white guy specifically for the black guy???

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Just an unfortunate turn of events honestly. Still awesome to see Yasuke in a warriors game, just would have been THAT much better if they landed a black VA to play the role.
Indeed. I'm still looking forward to the game, as I've been a fan of Samurai Warriors since the original, but this is a huge disappointing mark on it.

Let's just assume that there is no black VA that can speak Japanese for this game. If this was the case would it really be that hard to just find a black VA that is able to work with a voice director on how to say their lines properly in Japanese? If he doesn't have tons of lines it would add what 1-2 days of prep time for the VA to nail their delivery on a handful of lines? Heck even if it isn't the best it would still be a good effort.
The problem with this is that, even with coaching, it's very easy for a native speaker to tell when something just feels off in the dialogue. It's like how Heavy Rain features native French-speaking actors trying to sound like they're native English-speaking Americans and they just come off as oddly robotic.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
In this extreme hypothetical, I would expect the entire voice cast to be Japanese???? Japan has no shortage of works that feature multinational casts, and it's expected just as a matter of prscticality that their actors will be Japanese VAs from the industry. Like, I watched G Gundam subbed just fine.

So this only draws even more attention to this choice. Why go through the trouble of getting a white guy specifically for the black guy???
That's the worst part of it, they didn't even get a Japanese VA for the part. Of all the VAs to choose from, they opted out for a white VA who speaks japanese to play Yasuke of all people. This shit writes itself really.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
In Kiyoshi Kurosawa's To the Ends of the Earth, they casted an Uzbek actor who spoke no Japanese for the role of the interpreter. He sounds incredible, and I thought he was fluent until I watched the interview after the film. What you're talking about is totally possible with great results, but the Japanese voice acting industry is very stuck in their ways.
The problem with this is that, even with coaching, it's very easy for a native speaker to tell when something just feels off in the dialogue. It's like how Heavy Rain features native French-speaking actors trying to sound like they're native English-speaking Americans and they just come off as oddly robotic.
See above, but it is possible. In this case, he needs to sound fluent rather than native, so it could work. Just an example of something that could've been done, although it's too unconventional for the seiyuu industry nowadays, sadly (definitely seen stuff years ago that did things like this, though).

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's acting. People acting other roles. This whole everyone can only voice people of their own race thing is ridiculous imo. A black woman just got cast as Anne Boleyn for a new show. I historically real white woman but no one is losing their shit over that. Get over it.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It's acting. People acting other roles. This whole everyone can only voice people of their own race thing is ridiculous imo. A black woman just got cast as Anne Boleyn for a new show. I historically real white woman but no one is losing their shit over that. Get over it.
White people aren't underrepresented in media is the difference. Taking jobs from people who get little representation and giving them to white folks is not helpful. It's about equity. "Get over it" is such a bad take.

bigbaldwolf86

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility, trolling, aggressively dismissing racism and homophobia in the acting industry. Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account.
White people aren't underrepresented in media is the difference. Taking jobs from people who get little representation and giving them to white folks is not helpful. It's about equity. "Get over it" is such a bad take.

But its ok when a black woman plays a historically white woman? Everyone is full of hypocrisy and pandering to pc snowflakes. Yes more should be done for diversity in all media but people jump on every little thing. Straight people can't play gay people for god sake. It's becoming insane.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"More should be done for diversity but just shut up about it and it'll change on its own somehow"

Shocking that someone who uses the term "pc snowflakes" has such awful takes.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
But its ok when a black woman plays a historically white woman? Everyone is full of hypocrisy and pandering to pc snowflakes. Yes more should be done for diversity in all media but people jump on every little thing. Straight people can't play gay people for god sake. It's becoming insane.
I literally just addressed your question. You sound unhinged with your decrying of "pc snowflakes."

I didn't intend for this to be a bait thread, but you're really showing your ass with where you place your concerns. Won't someone think of all the white and straight people who can't find roles they're suiting to play?

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018

You're most likely going to be gone soon, but I may as well ask. Straight people HAVE played gay people for a long time. What is the issue with real gay people playing gay people in media?

Not only that, white people have gotten away with playing minorities for years and when it's the opposite it's an issue? Get out of here.

bigbaldwolf86

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're most likely going to be gone soon, but I may as well ask. Straight people HAVE played gay people for a long time. What is the issue with real gay people playing gay people in media?

There is no issue with gay people playing straight people or vice versa. Its the world that seems to be against straight people acting in anything but straight roles.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Won't someone think of the oppressed straights. Unable to play anything but the most common role in all of media.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It really does feel like they went "We need a foreigner for this role. Eh, close enough"

tbone

Oct 27, 2017
Shoulda been a black dude, I've always liked Yasuke's appearances in Nioh... but Paddy Ryan looks like a Japanese dude, that lives in Tokyo and speaks native Japanese? Or am I missing something?

Mar 18, 2020
Shoulda been a black dude, I've always liked Yasuke's appearances in Nioh... but Paddy Ryan looks like a Japanese dude, that lives in Tokyo and speaks native Japanese? Or am I missing something?

His name is Paddy Ryan b lol

That's a white dude in a kimono. In the video he's got that telltale intonation that makes it clear he's not Japanese as well.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah, I've been checking it since 2003 but in recent years the original operator gave it to someone else who doesn't mod at all and the Japanese online sphere in general has become pretty aggressively bigoted.
I'd love to find a Japanese game/other media site with discussions that weren't like that. I end up just going to places where there aren't discussions because of it. Hit me with recs otherwise.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not inherently opposed to cross-racial casting on the assumption that minority actors aren't under-represented... but that can admittedly be a pretty optimistic assumption :v
As to practical questions of the feasibility of minority casting in Japan, I have to believe it's possible to find one fluent black VA, even if it takes a bit more time or money. Though I wouldn't be surprised if same-race casting of more diverse western properties like boondocks proved difficult.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
That's the worst part of it, they didn't even get a Japanese VA for the part. Of all the VAs to choose from, they opted out for a white VA who speaks japanese to play Yasuke of all people. This shit writes itself really.

Because like it's been said in the thread before KT half-assed it, basically they just went "hey foreign guy, voice this foreign guy" and called it a day without any other thought and this is the result.

Hesdry

Oct 28, 2017
Brasil
I thought Yusuke was a black Samurai and, like any other Samurai, I thought he wore a Katana ... And this is what I like most and admired in his story (even with white people telling me that was just a fanfic): He was a Samurai like everyone else, just black. Soooo...

WHY IS HE FIGHTING PUNCHING LIKE A BOXER?

eathataco

Jul 17, 2018
While I agree that they should have tried to cast a black Japanese speaker ( there aren't a shortage of them ), a lot of people in this thread are actually making some pretty vile judgements about what constitutes Japanese-ness. The bio that OP linked to says that his place of birth is Japan. It seems like he is mixed race. It's disappointing because a lot of people of mixed race heritage in Japan suffer from the same judgements in everyday life that are shown in this thread.

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Terrible take. Minority VAs are routinely shuffled to the back of the line for roles. The industry is heavily white and one black person being lucky enough to make it through the doesn't solve the systemic imbalance.

Edit: oh you're banned. Nice.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Genuine question, are there any black Japanese speaking voice actors?
Yes, of course there are! There are Japanese speaking voice actors of tons of difference races here in Japan.

Okay, I think takes like this happen because we trot out words like equality. It's the wrong word to use. The word we need to focus on is EQUITY. This isn't about all people being seen as equal, because an unequal bias exists. This is about creating enacting circumstances that address inequity until a point where equality is possible.

Here is a nice cartoon to explain it.

Equality-equity-justice-lores.png

In case my point is hidden after all that, here is my point: POC playing POCs in voice jobs is not because we think actors can't be chameleons. It's because it's a perfect opportunity to provide a position of equity to those of that race where none is ever provided otherwise. Then, once they've proven themselves in these roles, they can gain fame, and provide their voices in any number of roles and compete via talent. The issue is that so many POCs never GET the opportunity to compete via talent because of an invisible inequity that never allows them to do so.

I thought Yusuke was a black Samurai and, like any other Samurai, I thought he wore a Katana ... And this is what I like most and admired in his story (even with white people telling me that was just a fanfic): He was a Samurai like everyone else, just black. Soooo...

Well, this is just a function of the Musou series. Like Sengoku Basara, they give all the characters different weapons to make their movesets more varied. That's not just something they did to Yasuke.

(Also, Samurai didn't just use swords. Most used polearms, and many even favored fire arms.)

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Not all samurai in Samurai Warriors are armed with swords. Yukimura Sanada, who was the cover figure for most Samurai Warriors games, uses spears in every game he appears, for example. And fist weapons or other esoteric weapon types aren't new to the series, either. Gracia used bracelets in Samurai Warriors 3 and 4 as fist-style weaponry.

And if you want to talk about really silly weapons, Oichi used a kendama (a kid's cup-and-ball toy) as her weapon for the first two games before they swapped it out for a moveset using bladed hoops.

And Shingen Takeda, one of the most renown warlords of the era, uses a fan:

I understand being upset at the choice of voice casting. They really could and should have done better there. But Yasuke's preferred weapon in Samurai Warriors 5 isn't an outlandish choice for the series.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There is no issue with gay people playing straight people or vice versa. Its the world that seems to be against straight people acting in anything but straight roles.

WEll, good thing that 97% of roles out there are for straight people huh?

I know you're banned but what the fuck are you on about?

Some clarification
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The bio that OP linked to says that his place of birth is Japan. It seems like he is mixed race. It's disappointing because a lot of people of mixed race heritage in Japan suffer from the same judgements in everyday life that are shown in this thread.
I appreciate you bringing attention to this.

It's absolutely a fuck-up on my part. I saw his languages listed as "Japanese, English (native)" and jumped to a conclusion based on that and his name. I did miss that it said 出身地 東京都, so it's likely that he is mixed race, and it's certainly not my intention to erase that identity. In my attempt to shine a light on something I saw as a misdeed, I made a thoughtless assumption. I have spoken with many mixed race people in Japan about these exact problems, so I should've known better.

I'll ask for mods to amend the OP, because I'm not even sure how to adjust it. I feel that this is still a topic worth discussing, but my framing was lacking information that's potentially harmful. I sincerely apologize for that.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
As a half Korean dude with an American name, this is kind of a shitty thing to assume.
I've definitely known many Japanese people in Tokyo with names that aren't traditionally Japanese, so this was a really stupid mistake on my part. I didn't consider how listing English as his native language is likely for marketing, and he's probably also a native speaker of Japanese despite not listing it that way. I'm terribly sorry, because I know this is a very prevalent issue.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
That's a white dude in a kimono. In the video he's got that telltale intonation that makes it clear he's not Japanese as well.

It's not my place to speculate, but we don't know that. He at the very least has mixed parentage (though that's not necessarily evidence for or against either way).

Some of the posts in this thread definitely cross a line.

Ei0FiyzUcAIeV9i
Esj6bwnUYAAbCr8

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naw, wasn't calling you out. Not trying to derail the topic, lack of black representation is definitely a serious issue.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Naw, wasn't calling you out. Not trying to derail the topic, lack of black representation is definitely a serious issue.
I don't think it's a derail. My thread framed the (very real) issue incorrectly, which is why I'm so disappointed in my mistake. I've muddied the conversation that's worth having, so I hope mods can manage to fix it in a way that refocuses the conversation without locking it.

Nov 1, 2020
For what it's worth, the fist knuckles are shared with Mitsuki. I'm not necessarily sure if Yasuke getting fists is a case of stereotyping if he's sharing it with the ninja girl.
Granted, Mitsuki getting the knuckles in the first place was also an eyebrow raiser for me. I get that we had the earliers example of Gracia and her bracelets, but those big knuckles definitely...stand out.
I'm more inclined to ascribe half-assed followthrough to management's thinking than malice.