• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
So I was checking out YouTube gaming like I sometimes do for new trailers and gameplay videos. Saw this guy at #15 trending today

Starts at 5:12

Clicked on it thinking there is just no way someone is doing this in 2019 seriously...
I sure was wrong he proceeds to magically "become" Bob Marley as he puts on fake dreads and a tam (Rastacap) to bring him luck in opening NBA 2K microtransaction packs which is a disgusting issue on to its own which Marley would have never been about. Then he goes on to say he is now Rasta.
Then he proceeds to mimic a stereotypical accent. Makes references to Henny and sacrifices it to bring him luck because apparently its something Rasta culture likes? Then proceeds to smoke weed behind a censored bar on screen. I stopped the video because it was too much. It made me real mad. Like really mad WTF?!

So apparently this guy has about 2 million subscribers. Goes by the name of Troydan and his channel is all videos where he just opens up loot box packs games like NBA 2K and stuff but to make it interesting he will 'dress up' as unique characters or something.

I think he might be sponsored by 2K or something for these videos.
Honestly its just disgusting on so many layers but appropriating another culture and race, along with attire, hair and accent to open lootboxes just infuriated me.

Oct 27, 2017
I never get why the most popular youtubers/streams are always these weirdly obnoxious dudes with some weird shtick

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be honest, I expected blackface. So...uhh...at least it's not blackface lol

OP
OP
Vivi

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
Every single thing about this is about right for Gaming Culture.
It just really shocked me. Was not expecting to see something like that on YouTube just trending for gaming.

At least he's not wearing blackface
I think some people finally started getting the memo on that one this month... (irony btw mods)

Gonna be honest, I expected blackface. So...uhh...at least it's not blackface lol
Yikes if that is the standard now lol

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I know that humor is subjective and all, but....
Who finds this funny?!?

MwN4Km.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Pressed play on the provided video and this is it. Fucking 2mm subscribers and seriously has to be one of the most annoying people ever. What a world.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
This guy makes me wince. 30-something year old guys hamming it up for the weirdos who watch their stuff just weird me out nowadays. That's on top of the... other things that I don't even understand. Since when is anything Bob Marley related, related to good luck/gambling/whatever the hell.
Everyone is looking for their own niche. It's the only way to survive in this 'industry' today. You can't just become normal and hope everyone to follow you.
Sure, but being "wacky and fun-e" has been the go to thing to get popular on youtube that it IS kinda normal at this point. Reminds me of Lets Play Pewdiepie/Markiplier/Jacksepticeye/Toby Turner/whoever else.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I made it 3 minutes, not even long enough to get to the Bob Marley part. I guess it's #15 because of young children. The Roblox "oof" sound to cover swearing is a dead giveaway he's being watched mostly by kids.

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Is it bad I'm just relieved that he had enough sense to not do blackface.

That's how low my bar is

OP
OP
Vivi

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah not seeing anything inherently wrong here. There are white Jamaicans and there are white Jamaicans with dreadlocks.

He never mentions becoming Jamaican or anything like that. He specifically mentions Bob Marley only and Rasta culture.
Here is a little quote about Rastafarianism btw "Rastafari is Afrocentric and focuses its attention on the African diaspora, which it believes is oppressed within Western society."
So yeah...

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I seriously can't watch any youtuber/streamer who is obviously putting on a voice that's supposed to be "entertaining", more often than not it just sounds cringey as hell.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah, looks like a 2k Youtuber. Those dudes appeal to the young kids/dudes that buy 2k every year and basically ONLY play 2K.

icexxascended

Jan 8, 2018
I don't think there's anything inherently bad about dressing up as an icon, regardless of race/gender/etc. But boy this man is obnoxious, couldn't make it passed a minute. I'm just going to assume it was distasteful and warranted this.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Since you seem to be going so hard in on this OP, the whole thing of being a Follower of Jah, and the Rastafarian religion as a whole is not about race and is welcoming to white people. So I am curious what exactly aside from being a jackass this guy is doing to get your ire up to such a level. I think every headshop out there would say that the rasta themed shirts/hats/and kits are still the biggest sellers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
User Warned - Thread Whining
I'm surprised how many threads are opened for diversity and against uncalled behavior. Shouldn't we just simply dislike the video and comment underneath?

it doesn't help to complain in the Resetera bubble.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't really see the issue. its not like a white guy can't also be a Rastafari and I didn't see anything blatantly racist. The most offensive thing was his annoying voice

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the bad accent is a problem but otherwise... 🤷🏾‍♂️
This is why I don't ever look at trending topics on YouTube. I just stick to my subscriptions.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I watched a few seconds of the video. Sure, I was offended and disgusted but I never made it to the Bob Marley bit.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Why even signal boost this? I've never seem this guy before, and this is apparently not even trending in top 10. Is 15 down particularly relevant?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I know that humor is subjective and all, but....
Who finds this funny?!?

MwN4Km.gif

Is it wrong that I kind of find this funny in a "so bad it's good" sort of way? Like, this is just so stupid and bad to a ridiculous extreme that it's kind of amusing. Dude is literally making shitty YouTube videos about microtransactions while culturally appropriating dreads. It's like a concept that would come out of a bot that reads Era threads or gaming twitter or something.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Huh. I guess I can't fault the dude for finding an idiotic, juvenile audience and making cash off of 'em.

But yeah. YouTube sucks for gaming personalities.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought people only had a problem if blackface is involved? I see that all the time in blackface threads

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
He's dressing up as Bob Marley I don't see the problem. I don't know why this got your blood boiling so bad OP as if he was being racist.