• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Was doing some Amazon browsing and happened to run into this. Who wants to proudly own a coloring book based on serial killers? It looks like it did so well that it has a 2nd one along with other books in the series. Who asked for this crap!?!

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
61pThDaQObL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

People are into Serial Killers, These people have money and bam! profit

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
There's a whole market dedicated to stuff like this and several podcasts. The coloring books are a little weird, but like people knit replicas of Ed Gein's nipple belt and sell it on Etsy. People that are into true crime eat it up

Edit: as Jessi77 pointed out it was Gein not Gacy like my post originally said. I can't find the knitted version but did find this gruesome replica on Etsy.

Probably NSFW, maybe NSFL for some

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020
These things need to not glorify these assholes. Have your coloring book, and have images showing them haggard in prison or sitting at a trial, or the family members of their victims kicking the living hell out of them.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
This makes sense. Adult coloring books have become popular lately, as have true crime stories. I can definitely see overlap in the fandoms. Is no stranger than Pokemon crochet patterns IMO.

Like, yeah, if you think too hard about the true crime fandom it can be creepy, but the same can be said about a lot of subject matters. BDSM, FPS, martial arts, ren faire, furries etc. I've long since decided it's better to just let people do them, y'know?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's a whole market dedicated to stuff like this and several podcasts. The coloring books are a little weird, but like people knit replicas of John Wayne Gacy's nipple belt and sell it on Etsy. People that are into true crime eat it up

Edit: I can't find the listing for the belt anymore, but it was definitely brought up on the podcast My Favorite Murder more than once
Probably because the nipple belt was Gein. Gacy was Pogo so it's clown paintings he did that people collect.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you know what i dont get

i get the appeal of adult coloring books, they have a lot more detail and it can be fun to doodle

have you seen those adult 'color-by-numbers' books?

where's the creativity in that?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I love true crime stories and watching Investigation Discovery shows about crimes and how they got solved or got the perpetrator caught, but every once in a while you come across some idiot who goes "SO WHO'S YOUR FAVOURITE SERIAL KILLER!"

It's so fucking weird. Loved how that elderly lady called out the Richard Ramirez fangirls as "dumbest bitches ever" for attending court during his trial, on that Netflix documentary about him. Her delivery was so damn brutal and unexpected ffs.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I use to live with a guy who was into this stuff, he would get monthly magazine on Crime and Murderers. I most of us in the house thought he was going to kill us all one day in our sleep.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I dont get it, this is weird. What if it was an 'adult colouring book of pedophiles. Or nazis. Why is the serial killer thing considered chic and cool.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
There is an edgy wing of true crime fandom that finds it amusing to joke around about this stuff, and that bunch probably gives/gets these as gag gifts that gather dust on the shelf. Not much more to it than that. Low content books (like adult coloring books) are also kind of a recent cash grab trend in small/self publishing right now and these guys probably aren't in a good position to protect their likenesses. A match made in heaven.

Oct 29, 2017
I genuinely hate the morbid fascination people have with serial killers--and how there's a whole goddamn industry built around it.

Oct 26, 2017
My friend listens to some podcast about serial killers. No idea what it is, but it bugs me that the guys are laughing their asses off 95% of each episode while talking about serial killers and shit.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I dont get it, this is weird. What if it was an 'adult colouring book of pedophiles. Or nazis. Why is the serial killer thing considered chic and cool.

Someone actually made an "Adolf Hitler colouring book" online

They think they're being clever with it though.

"Adolf Hitler Coloring Book: Perfect Gift or Prank to Send to Your Antifa and Left Wing Groups Adult Coloring Book"

Har dee har, that will sure own the libs right?

Edit -
Turns out there's a dictator colouring book as well

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ bet people who own this and listen to my favorite murder is a Venn diagram of two overlapping circles

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
My friend listens to some podcast about serial killers. No idea what it is, but it bugs me that the guys are laughing their asses off 95% of each episode while talking about serial killers and shit.
Some people deal with death, morbidity, and other unpleasant topics through humor. It can help people cope. This is not a new concept and it does not mean that they're making light of the topic or laughing at the victims.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
True crime market has grown significantly in the past few years; Investigation Discovery (ID) was a gateway for quite a few folks I knew from work. I did use to watch Forensic Files, Cold Case Files and a couple of other true crime programs from the 90s but lost interest in them when they started to become literal Procedural crime dramas with the over produced re-enactments and other stuff.

YouTube content is generally even worse; embellishing details and doing the minimal required research to get regurgitated unverified information they found on a Reddit or something, even throwing in conspiracy theories for good measure. It's really gross and it's a trend that I hope dies at some point.

Not to say there aren't any out there that don't do their due diligence, but those are far and few —and usually are audio podcast.

Oct 26, 2017
Some people deal with death, morbidity, and other unpleasant topics through humor. It can help people cope. This is not a new concept and it does not mean that they're making light of the topic or laughing at the victims.
To be clear, I'm talking about the podcasters themselves laughing throughout the whole thing while giving the grisly details. It feels like that's their shtick. To be "funny" while talking about terrible events.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Used to work for a book store, and let me tell you, people fucking LOVE serial killers. They love buying biographies on them. So this is an absolute no brainer. Easy money.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I'm talking about the podcasters themselves laughing throughout the whole thing while giving the grisly details. It feels like that's their shtick. To be "funny" while talking about terrible events.
Last podcast on the left? My favorite murder? They're pretty respectful of the victims and typically make jokes at the serial killers or law enforcement who enabled em's expense. There's room for humor even in horrible events. Good way to process it and present it. There's a reason they got to be as big as they are.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Because it's more tasteful than colouring in their victims I guess.

I love true crime, but I'd only buy this as a gag gift.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing it started out as a joke. And then it turned out a lot of people are fucking crazy and there was a market for it. Are there sales numbers on these things?