• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
And 6 months after launch EA are going to use this as justification that Switch owners don't want to play EA games.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo isnt 3rd party. They launches their own games on their own platforms. They aren't releasing BOTW on Switch after its been on other platforms and charging a higher price

It's always funny when people like you miss the point entirely and is so salty about Nintendo you make false analogies in a thread about 3rd party pricing.
Yes they launch their own games on their own platforms and charge full pop for ports. They set the pace on their own consoles so 3rd parties follow suit.

As always though when the game stops selling EA will drop the price. This isn't evil, it's following suit with Nintendo on their console. It's business.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's not good, but the situation is much less cynical than in Burnout's case. If you haven't played DK on the WiiU and do on the Switch, you're buying an old game's port at full price on the only currently available platform - excluding 2nd hand WiiUs etc. - on which it is sold.

If you buy Burnout on the Switch, you're buying an old game's port at full price, that is currently being sold on other platforms at a fraction. You know that Nintendo will keep the price up more like than not, but EA already "devalued" the game themselves.
There is a difference in availability which is leans things in TF's favour but then that's wiped out again after finding out Nintendo had already permanently reduced the price of the game on Wii U to $20 when they added it to their selects range so their price increase for the Switch port feels even more egregious.
Thank you. But why should a publisher release it at a bottom price if they can launch it at a 'new' game price on a new platform and get some audience and drop the price in the future to get more audience?
Why is EA evil for doing business? Heck Witcher III was 11 euro when released on Switch.

It is a AAA game, so why not? Nintendo set the example. Don't blame them for following and trying.
EA can price games however they like. But when the exact same game with the exact same content releases for a higher price than it did on PS4 and X1, I think there are questions to be asked.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
My son came back a while ago to me and I noticed he bought Skyrim for Switch, I asked him how much did you pay for it. He told me $79.99 canadian Fking dollars. I was sooooo mad, not at him hes only 14 and bought it with his own saved money but really mad at Nintendo that they are getting away with this outlandish price for such an old game. Oh and yeah the game still is selling for that price still.

Nintendo doesn't set the price of third party games. Not sure what you expect them to do about that. I got NBA 2k19 for $4 on the eshop for example. Not going to praise Nintendo for that either.

As a side not though, I'm not buying Skyrim or Doom til they hit $30 Canadian. Not worth it imo.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
My son came back a while ago to me and I noticed he bought Skyrim for Switch, I asked him how much did you pay for it. He told me $79.99 canadian Fking dollars. I was sooooo mad, not at him hes only 14 and bought it with his own saved money but really mad at Nintendo that they are getting away with this outlandish price for such an old game. Oh and yeah the game still is selling for that price still.
That's way too high a price but why is that Nintendo's fault? They didn't publish the game or set the price.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo doesn't set the price of third party games. Not sure what you expect them to do about that.

As a side not though, I'm not buying Skyrim or Doom til they hit $30 Canadian. Not worth it imo.
They don't set the price. But the set the tone for the console when they were pricing their own ports and almost never putting their games on sale or lower price. Of course 3rd parties will keep their game prices high even when ports when Nintendo does it themselves. If Nintendo changed their own practices other devs would follow suit.

Look at Gamepass for example. Do you think there would be so many big 3rd party games on it if Microsoft wasn't putting their own games there? First party sets the tone and the practices for the console. It's always been that way.

Why lower your price or sell for less when people on Switch have proven they are willing to pay full price for anything as long as they want to play it

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Because Switch owners don't believe games depreciate in value, so they'll pay more money for old games.

Publishers know this.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, did your son enjoy it? :)

I get it though. The game's been on sale at least a couple times for 50% off digitally, but it does bother me to see it at $40 everywhere else, but the Switch tax adds $20. To its credit though, the fact that I can play it handheld was worth paying $30 during the last sale, since I was actually able to finish the game this time and am now playing through the Dawnguard content, which I really like.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Because Nintendo.

You forgot, they sold ppl Mario Kart 8 (a 3 year old game at the time) for $60? don't even get me started on DKC tropical freeze and SMBU deluxe. If first party pricing is like that then what is stopping 3rd parties from doing it? Majority of the switch library is over priced ports of 1-3 year old games. Doesn't matter cause ppl will buy it and no one holds them accountable anyway.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because Nintendo.

You forgot, they sold ppl Mario Kart 8 (a 3 year old game at the time) for $60? don't even get me started on DKC tropical freeze and SMBU deluxe. If first party pricing is like that then what is stopping 3rd parties from doing it? Majority of the switch library is over priced ports of 1-3 year old games. Doesn't matter cause ppl will buy it and no one holds them accountable anyway.
It's literally how businesses work. If the big boy does it, you do it to. If the big boy is releasing good prices ports and dropping games prices after a while you do it to so you don't get left behind.

These are businesses. They will charge as much as they can get away with.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not having this debate with you unless you stop being immature using words like 'evil' when I haven't said that. From my point of view the Jedi are evil! the reasons why EA deserve to be criticised for this are obvious and apparent. But like I say I can't bring myself down to your level if you're using childish and hyperbolic vocabulary I'm afraid.
It's not that obvious if way more developers are doing exactly the same and getting more than decent sales. Businesswise it seems like a logic choice for them to do so, like a lot of other publishers are doing.

Witcher III did the same and got almost a million sales.DK:TF added 10 bucks and sold 3 million plus copies etc.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
They don't set the price. But the set the tone for the console when they were pricing their own ports and almost never putting their games on sale or lower price. Of course 3rd parties will keep their game prices high even when ports when Nintendo does it themselves. If Nintendo changed their own practices other devs would follow suit.

Look at Gamepass for example. Do you think there would be so many big 3rd party games on it if Microsoft wasn't putting their own games there? First party sets the tone and the practices for the console. It's always been that way.

I would buy this if there wasn't tons of third party ports for cheap on the Switch all the time. $4 for NBA 2K. $25 for Crash. $25 for World of FF Maxima. $25 for Mario + Rabbids. $15 for Rayman. $17 for Resident Evil Revelations 2. Witcher 3 isnt that old and it has already been at $50 on the eshop. Diablo, MK11 and Civilizstion 6 are all half off right now. Dragon Ball FighterZ is regularly $20

There are lots of sales on Switch games all the time. Nintendo's pricing sucks but it's not this thing that makes games never reduce in price. Like it sucks your kid spent $80 on Skyrim but it isn't Nintendo's fault Bethesda wont reduce these games below 50% off. Lots of 3rd party games regularly get deep discounts.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Because Nintendo.

DKC and NSMBU are fair game for critique, but I don't think the pricing for MK8D was *that* bad considering it also contained all the DLCs and added a new mode.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
As others have noted, I got this on PSN yesterday for $8. Never played a Burnout and thought why not. $50 is ridiculous.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they launch their own games on their own platforms and charge full pop for ports. They set the pace on their own consoles so 3rd parties follow suit.

As always though when the game stops selling EA will drop the price. This isn't evil, it's following suit with Nintendo on their console. It's business.
When are they gonna follow Nintendos suits in terms of marketing and new quality games for Switch then ?
There is a reason why Nintendo can charge 50 bucks for their ports or why a game like BotW is still full price in its 4th years - whats EA justification ?

Yall acting as if Nintendo and EA have the same sales expectation and consumer trust on Switch is hilarious. So yeah that "following Nintendos example" argument is BS since it only seems to be applicable on the higher price - but not on new features/content, same day/date releases and marketing efforts.

As others have noted, I got this on PSN yesterday for $8. Never played a Burnout and thought why not. $50 is ridiculous.
It is - but some people think EA can and should charge as much for a late port of a Dead IP as Nintendo does for their evergreen titles.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If third parties actually followed Nintendo's lead nothing on the eShop would ever go on sale lol.

It's funny because if you own a Switch and browse the eshop you would know third party stuff is always on sale. It's more specific companies who discount less. Bethesda specifically doesn't really discount. Comparatively, Square Enix, Ubi and Activision discount a lot.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When are they gonna follow Nintendos suits in terms of marketing and new quality games for Switch then ?
There is a reason why Nintendo can charge 50 bucks for their ports or why a game like BotW is still full price in its 4th years - whats EA justification ?

Yall acting as if Nintendo and EA have the same sales expectation and consumer trust on Switch is hilarious. So yeah that "following Nintendos example" argument is BS since it only seems to be applicable on the higher price - but not on new features/content, same day/date releases and marketing efforts.
And price is the main factor.
The reason that BOTW is still full price is because that's what Nintendo does, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game. There are a lot of HIGH quality games that still sell gang Buster's that have their prices drop. Price is 100% the issue here.
I hate the argument of "well hurr quality do they can price however!" It's a bad disingenuous argument. Nintendo does it because they can and they know they will make money. People try and act like Nintendo is your friend when all the do is take advantage of that.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Defending Tropical Freeze pricing is dumb. Nintendo did it because they could. Game was not fucking worth $60. Same with NSMBU:Deluxe. Game is not worth $60. But business is business.

Issue with Burnout Paradise is the game was $40 2 years ago and now its $50. But again, business is business. And it will go on sale. Its a 12 year old game. We xan wait another 3 months lol.
I and 100% on board with tropical freeze being sixty. I get they upped the resolution to 1080 and added funky kong, but nah, I can't get behind that. However Mario U+Luigi U for 60 I feel is fair. Luigi U was fantastic and almost felt like a brand new game. Those two were 90 bucks physical and 80 bucks digital on Wii U.

EDIT: I too agree that Bayo 2 Should've been cheaper.

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Because EA hate Nintendo. I know it is silly to say companies can hate each other, but I honestly think EA view Nintendo as everything they don't want gaming to be.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The reason that BOTW is still full price is because that's what Nintendo does, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game. There are a lot of HIGH quality games that still sell gang Buster's that have their prices drop. Price is 100% the issue here.
I hate the argument of "well hurr quality do they can price however!" It's a bad disingenuous argument. Nintendo does it because they can and they know they will make money. People try and act like Nintendo is your friend when all the do is take advantage of that.

And you know what, lots of games, third party games, goes on sale on Switch regularly at 30-75% off. So there goes your argument about tone setting. We are not discussing sale price but the starting price

Stop flip flopping your points of reference and trying to fit a round peg into a square hole

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
bit late to the convo but I've noticed that Nintendo digital games are always WAY too expensive, thought so on 3DS, think so now as well on switch its one of the biggest reasons I've only bought games physically for the switch

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
People saying "Nintendo does it" are being disingenuous as fuck.

Even at their most egregious(DKCTF being $60, which is pretty fucking bad) all of their ports have had new features or content vs their previous release.

This is a straight port of a game they launched at $40 two years ago.

Totally. It's a straight port of a two year old remaster of a game from 2008. People can drag Nintendo's own Switch ports for being overpriced but none of them have been this egregious. If it also came with Takedown & Revenge or if they made significant additions or changes to Paradise it would be a different story.

We don't even know if this port will be any good because you absolutely shouldn't assume it will be.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So Nintendo is allowed to price gouge, but third party pubs aren't? Never mind that the Wii U version launched at $50.
Never said that. I'm questioning the efficacy. EA is not Nintendo.

Also the comparison make no sense. Tropical Freeze does not have ports on other platforms that are half the price. Same with the otherWii U ports.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
DKC and NSMBU are fair game for critique, but I don't think the pricing for MK8D was *that* bad considering it also contained all the DLCs and added a new mode.
Bayonetta 2 should've been $20 since it was a 3 year old game when it launched on switch... I can go on. My point is, you cant get mad at 3rd parties for doing this cause its a proven price gouging tactic pioneered on the platform by Nintendo themselves.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, It's about quality and standing behind the value of your product. Grand Theft Auto 5 stayed 60 dollars for 5 years, and no one complained. It's hard to it's Nintendo fans that are conditioned when their franchises are reach all time highs with the Switch. It has to be ok with the masses beyond that for a game like BoTW to still be selling millions a year. Conversely, One could say Sony is conditioning people to wait 3 months to get their games because they'll be 33-50% cheaper.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I and 100% on board with tropical freeze being sixty. I get they upped the resolution to 1080 and added funky kong, but nah, I can't get behind that. However Mario U+Luigi U for 60 I feel is fair. Luigi U was fantastic and almost felt like a brand new game. Those two were 90 bucks physical and 80 bucks digital on Wii U.

Mario U + Luigi went Nintendo selects in EU. Tropical Freeze went Nintendo Selects in EU and NA. Was significantly cheaper.

Straight ports with 0 additions should not launch full price imo.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (1 week): platform wars, recent history of platform wars
Bayonetta 2 should've been $20 since it was a 3 year old game when it launched on switch... I can go on. My point is, you cant get mad at 3rd parties for doing this cause its a proven price gouging tactic pioneered on the platform by Nintendo themselves.
It's a lost battle. It's Nintendo. You will never convince them that Nintendo is in the wrong or does anything bad. BOTW still being full price is good for consumers....

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There are multiple reasons why Nintendo can charge these people ices....do you think EA checks the same points on Switch for it audience ?

People just comparing the prices in a vacuum without anything else don't make any sense. Unless you think Nintendo could and would charge 60 bucks for their games if all they delivered so far on Switch were 2 old ports and inferior Fifa versions.

Come on.

But hey maybe we are all wrong and EA is smart as hell for this price point and the game is gonna be a million seller like mosh Nintendo games. Legs just wait for results and see how it works out for them.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's never been about quality as to why Nintendo games stay high priced. Nintendo specifically changed their shipping and pricing strategy heading into the Wii era.

Nintendo aren't fucking special. The same way 2K doesnt sell NBA cheap 4 months later every year because its bad. The microransaction revenue is enormous. More buyers into the ecosystem means more microtransactions.

Business is business.

It's a lost battle. It's Nintendo. You will never convince them that Nintendo is in the wrong or does anything bad. BOTW still being full price is good for consumers....

High Nintendo prices suck but I appreciate I can trade in or resell one Nintendo game and basically fund buying another game. So there is that at least. Considering how dead the WiiU is I got a lot for my games all things considered.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That's way too high a price but why is that Nintendo's fault? They didn't publish the game or set the price.

Nintendo themselves have charged more for a port of a Wii U game to the Switch than what it cost at launch on the Wii U. Now their first party games sell more than any other platform holder, so it's no surprise that games like Breath of the Wild are still 60 dollars, but it still sucks for us consumers.

High Nintendo prices suck but I appreciate I can trade in or resell one Nintendo game and basically fund buying another game. So there is that at least. Considering how dead the WiiU is I got a lot for my games all things considered.

This is definitely the upside to what I typed above.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
EA does what Nintendoes. What's the problem? Something, something, evergreen. Something, something, devalue.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Mario U + Luigi went Nintendo selects in EU. Tropical Freeze went Nintendo Selects in EU and NA. Was significantly cheaper.

Straight ports with 0 additions should not launch full price imo.
ah. mario and luigi is still 60 here in the states for wii u. I don't care if they are the same price honestly. I just don't want them to cost more. If i don't see thee value in the price, I just won't buy it.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
You can believe Bayonetta 2 is worth $20 and that MK8D wasn't worth $60, that's your prerogative. However those games on the Wii U weren't priced lower than they were released at on Switch.

The problem being talked about here isn't just high port prices, it's port prices that are higher than the launch price of the exact same game on PS4 and X1. So far I can only find one example of Nintendo doing that and that was Tropical Freeze and they were rightly roasted for it. Capcom were also massively criticised when they released Resident Evil at a higher price than it launched at on other platforms. Yes these business can do whatever they like but they can and should be hung out to dry when they try and pull something like this.

Nintendo themselves have charged more for a port of a Wii U game to the Switch than what it cost at launch on the Wii U. Now their first party games sell more than any other platform holder, so it's no surprise that games like Breath of the Wild are still 60 dollars, but it still sucks for us consumers.
I know this and it's been mentioned a number of times in the thread (including by me). I was questioning why someone was annoyed at Nintendo for the price of a Bethesda game. I don't see how these points are related.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah, like ea is the first to charge extra for the switch version.

They are doing because switch owners have no problem paying this price.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
It may be late to the party, and it may be overpriced, but!!... at least there's no "Download Required" on the box art for the physical copy (yet).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's always funny how these threads just always devolve into, 'Well, Nintendo does it!' Like, who gives a shit what Nintendo does? It has absolutely nothing to do with EA or Burnout. Who cares? This thread should have devolved into begging for remasters of 3 and Revenge, like God intended.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if EA just took a look at what people are willing to pay for a Nintendo Switch when supply can't keep up and thought they could ask for 60 bucks.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's always funny how these threads just always devolve into, 'Well, Nintendo does it!' Like, who gives a shit what Nintendo does? It has absolutely nothing to do with EA or Burnout. Who cares? This thread should have devolved into begging for remasters of 3 and Revenge, like God intended.
Its tinged with so much salt they are not made in good faith. You also see comments that boils down and dismisses the Switch as a platform. What are the chances the person making that post doesnt like the platform. Very high I gather