• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Need more set pieces, more bosses, a little more supernatural beigns and better gameplay involving them. Drop the QTE fest (especially those horrendous mobile boss fights).

Other than that, I'm good to go.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's still my most disappointing game this gen. Characters are cardboard cut-outs of the worst kind. The biggest offense isn't the gameplay but story, a sequel will be tied to this terrible story so no I don't think it deserves a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the first one, played it through about 3 times. The concept has so much potential that I would love a sequel that right's the wrong's of the first game.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking back, I don't think the game was all that bad.

Probably a 6/10, but honestly, a sequel could have easily fixed all those problems.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the first one, played it through about 3 times. The concept has so much potential that I would love a sequel that right's the wrong's of the first game.
Victorian horror/supernatural is so underutilized. Across all mediums to me. I love the whole penny dreadfuls, antedeluvian/lovecraft literature etc.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If they were going to do it, they should've done it 2 years ago. RAD making AAA games is a good thing though.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. Despite the flaws the games characters, acting and storytelling was amazing.

OP
OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely yes !

My wishlist

Wide linear
Ditch the QTEs
Upgradable weapons a la Resistance 3
Gadgets, traps, swords,
Add exploration, detective work, small puzzles
Inventory management
interactive set-pieces
Better and more diverse encounters
A proper combat behaviour for the different type of Half-Breed
Better Close-Quarter-Combat system
Better Stealth system
Vampire battles
Double down on the survival-horror vibe (think the hospital)
Horde mode or PVP mode

ValidInexperiencedIvorybilledwoodpecker.gif
giphy.gif

I like your other suggestions, we have similar ideas on what to implement. Totally agree on the hospital scene, 2-3 hours of that would be fantastic on the sequel.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They should just do a spiritual successor that has a similar setting and is more survival horror action esque.

Be less Gears of War waist high walls shooting dudes and more Van Helsing.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you.

It's weird that Sony severed the ties so quickly with RAD and The Order franchise. Sure the reviews were not good but it sold ok to good for an early exclusive. It has all the resources to be a great franchise for them too.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The concept and graphics were worthy of a sequel but the story, characters, and gameplay itself were not and so I'm left wondering why a sequel would even be necessary since all of those things would have to change for any chance of success.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
It seem like an IP that could have the potential to have an Uncharted 1-Uncharted 2 jump in quality.

Do it.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
No, it's over. The universe had potential, but what they delivered is essentially the prologue to a much greater story, rather than anything meaningful or particularly memorable.

They focused their attention in the wrong areas, and it's too late now.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is that the crowd that wants a sequel seems small and based on anything I can find, reception to the original wasn't great either critically or commercially. I've all the franchises Sony has at bay, I'm going to guess The Order is far down the last they'll never get to it.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Atmosphere was great, graphics were great, the story ended with ample room for a sequel. But maybe another development could give it a wack. Who was it for 1886, Ready at Dawn? It did kind of feel like a mobile/handheld developer just got a boatload of cash and didn't know what to do. The game feels grand, but so small at the same time.

Really horrid boss fights and completely under designed from an encounters standpoint. I'd love for another company to be able to play in that world.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I enjoyed the original for what is was and I really enjoyed the characters.

I really felt the first game ended showing us it was opening up.

I would love a Batman Arkham style of game. Give us a traversal mode and update the weapons/gadgets.

Keep developing the story.

Keeping the visuals that good or better is a must so maybe go smaller with a Dishonored style open world.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing about this is a sequel would probably be fantastic, but will also probably never be made. There was absolutely amazing things about The Order 1886, and the lore was ripe for a franchise. The game just.... wasn't that great. A real shame, because I think there was something there worth exploring.

Pleiades

Dec 12, 2017
I think that the technical artists, game engine people etc. who worked on The Order probably have a really bright future ahead of them.

The Order IP itself on the other hand would most likely just hold any future games back more than it would help. A new IP would be free of the stigma of 1886 so it'd be much easier to generate hype.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
With obvious gameplay improvements I'd buy a sequel day one for sure. I love the setting and the characters!

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
There wasn't anything remarkable about The Order. It fell flat in every way, I don't even want a sequel. Just let it be.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for it. Despite being a disappointment, The Order: 1886 was still a good 7/10 game where the biggest problem were the design decisions/choices that were made. Everything else is good to great. Eliminate those bad decisions and the gameplay becomes good to great because the problems and negatives would be gone. The visuals, audio, story and characters are all pretty much done already. Fix some gameplay decisions that were made and it's an easy choice. The Order: 1886 mainly gets bashed because of it's release date and it being the first major exclusive in about a year which was also a new IP so it had higher expectations to live up to. Sales wise, it made Sony a profit and surpassed their expectations so a far better and much improved sequel would make people forget about the bad decision making of the first game.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
First off, my opinion is going to be far more positive then everyone else because I thought it was a 10/10 game, and it was my favorite new AAA IP of the generation up until Horizon Zero Dawn launched. I highly anticipated it, and got a bit concerned when it launched with lackluster reviews, but ultimately I decided to still buy Day 1 and I'm glad I did. I get some of the criticism, but those issues weren't really a focus for me, so I only saw its brilliance. I loved the way it was paced - ebbing and flowing between action and narrative like a big summer blockbuster movie. The characters and atmosphere were well realized and unique. Everything looked gorgeous. And incorporating Nikola Tesla - who I'm a big fan of - yielded interesting and fun weapons. And while people complained about its brevity and ending, I was left wanting so much more. So for me it's a resounding "Yes!"

Regardless of anyone's opinion, it does deserve the chance at a sequel for a multitude of reasons:

Like many launch window games, it was light on content. I finally got around to playing Ryse: Son of Rome yesterday, and the same complaint can be applied to it. A six hour playthrough with gameplay that doesn't evolve much isn't all that great, but compromises always happen with launch titles. Developers are focus on understanding hardware and getting new engine up and running. Sacrifices have to be made to launch a game in a timely manner. Sequels aren't as constrained by this and can really spread their wings. Just look at the jump between Uncharted 1 and 2, or Infamous, or even Knack. The series has a lot of potential.

Plus, Ready at Dawn clearly had a plan for the franchise. The way it ends sets it up not only for a sequel, but for a grand adventure. It was their first attempt at their own IP, which is extremely ambitious. Even some of the critics will tell you there were shining moments. Why would you waste all that time and money to not fully realize that potential? The heavy lifting is done, and I'm sure RaD learned a lot. Now sequels can be churned out quicker.

While opinions were very mixed, there are a lot of people like me who either loved the game, or even others who want another game despite having issues with it. There's definitely a market there if they can figure out how to maximize sales.

Single player experiences are Sony's bread and butter. Since its release we've seen lengthy, costly single player games like Horizon, but we've also seen developers like Ninja Theory find ways to make AAA experiences on a smaller scale. The Order could take either route, either going all in on a large scale project, or taking the bones of what is already present, and making another, shorter experience.

Choosing a path won't please everyone. Going big is far more risky, so I'm fine with another short game in the 6-10 hour range. To sell others, the gameplay would probably have to be more compelling, or there would need to be more spectacle in the trailers to pull people back in. Going the shorter route would also be cheaper on development costs since it should be quicker to develop, so the break even point would probably be far lower than before. Sony has done a good job experimenting with costs and distribution. Maybe it should be a $40 title, or maybe it should only be available via digital distribution, or be a hybrid like The Lost Legacy.

Or maybe they should blaze a new trail and sell a combo game that is The Order: 1887, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time 2, and Puppeteer 2. One disc, three games, $120. You know, like the Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt cartridge.

Last edited:

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I really hope there will be a sequel. I liked the setting, the atmosphere and the characters of the first game, enjoyed the combat and the story.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
The Order is currently, by far, the worst game I've played this generation. A sequel would have to get high praise across the board for me to even entertain the possibility of giving it my time.

OP
OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
First off, my opinion is going to be far more positive then everyone else because I thought it was a 10/10 game, and it was my favorite new AAA IP of the generation up until Horizon Zero Dawn launched. I highly anticipated it, and got a bit concerned when it launched with lackluster reviews, but ultimately I decided to still buy Day 1 and I'm glad I did. I get some of the criticism, but those issues weren't really a focus for me, so I only saw its brilliance. I loved the way it was paced - ebbing and flowing between action and narrative like a big summer blockbuster movie. The characters and atmosphere were well realized and unique. Everything looked gorgeous. And incorporating Nikola Tesla - who I'm a big fan of - yielded interesting and fun weapons. And while people complained about its brevity and ending, I was left wanting so much more. So for me it's a resounding "Yes!"

Regardless of anyone's opinion, it does deserve the chance at a sequel for a multitude of reasons:

Like many launch window games, it was light on content. I finally got around to playing Ryse: Son of Rome yesterday, and the same complaint can be applied to it. A six hour playthrough with gameplay that doesn't evolve much isn't all that great, but compromises always happen with launch titles. Developers are focus on understanding hardware and getting new engine up and running. Sacrifices have to be made to launch a game in a timely manner. Sequels aren't as constrained by this and can really spread their wings. Just look at the jump between Uncharted 1 and 2, or Infamous, or even Knack. The series has a lot of potential.

Plus, Ready at Dawn clearly had a plan for the franchise. The way it ends sets it up not only for a sequel, but for a grand adventure. It was their first attempt at their own IP, which is extremely ambitious. Even some of the critics will tell you there were shining moments. Why would you waste all that time and money to not fully realize that potential? The heavy lifting is done, and I'm sure RaD learned a lot. Now sequels can be churned out quicker.

While opinions were very mixed, there are a lot of people like me who either loved the game, or even others who want another game despite having issues with it. There's definitely a market there if they can figure out how to maximize sales.

Single player experiences are Sony's bread and butter. Since its release we've seen lengthy, costly single player games like Horizon, but we've also seen developers like Ninja Theory find ways to make AAA experiences on a smaller scale. The Order could take either route, either going all in on a large scale project, or taking the bones of what is already present, and making another, shorter experience.

Choosing a path won't please everyone. Going big is far more risky, so I'm fine with another short game in the 6-10 hour range. To sell others, the gameplay would probably have to be more compelling, or there would need to be more spectacle in the trailers to pull people back in. Going the shorter route would also be cheaper on development costs since it should be quicker to develop, so the break even point would probably be far lower than before. Sony has done a good job experimenting with costs and distribution. Maybe it should be a $40 title, or maybe it should only be available via digital distribution, or be a hybrid like The Lost Legacy.

Or maybe they should blaze a new trail and sell a combo game that is The Order: 1887, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time 2, and Puppeteer 2. One disc, three games, $120. You know, like the Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt cartridge.
I'd rather they don't bother at all if this is what they go for. 1886 is a franchise that should be AAA in production and development. But they need to do a lot more than 86 for 87 if it happens. They need to get bigger and more ambitious with its sequel, I don't think I'd bother with it if they went a 40$ for the game route. Personally I don't give much a shit for content if the quality is incredible. I'm 2 hours in SotC for the first time, and I know the entire game will likely be 6-9 more hours and is fine.

But 87 should have online because it would be wasted not to, not just to buff content. Having weird wonky weapons and maybe even make the setting unique due to technology could allow for some fun online play. Add that the game drips with atmosphere, and I'm in.

EDIT: It's hilarious how divisive this game is though. Why did the mods not add the poll though? No respekk :(

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
yes. instead of a 1886, just make it more like gears. less handholding, more third person action. you can still have it be cinematic, and put the characters in great environments with a nice story, just dont make it overly restrictive in service to cinematography, that was the whole problem with the game itself. People were expecting a gears but you give them a movie with some third person scenes.

The entire setting and world and story had tons of potential for exploration

Oct 25, 2017
The IP has no value. The CONCEPT (supernatural-fighting "knights" in the Victorian era) was a solid one, but they ruined it from minute one by making it a stock-standard third person shootbang game and then fucked it up even harder by making it incredibly short and giving it almost no content.

The only way to salvage the concept is to completely reboot it into a different genre with an unrelated title and pretend the original game never existed.

I haven't played 1886 and must admit it looks like the diametric opposite of the kind of games that interest me, but the world, setting, and premise really would make a good setup for a turn-based tactics spin-off game.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
It didn't sell well, Steampunk London with monsters is not a unique setting (the GOTY, another PS4 exclusive, has a very similar setting,) and I struggle to name one gameplay mechanic, weapon design, narrative beat, or any element that screams out as undeveloped potential. The Order was a technical tour de force, but a lot of AAA console games look good. Classics change their genres. Great games stand above their peers and deliver memorable experiences. The Order is mostly remembered for high definition mustaches and some of the saddest looking QTEs Shenmue. It's a bad game, and there are so many games being made the last thing anyone needs is a sequel to a bad game.

This reviewer bought The Order for $10 and played it until some a sequence on some kind of airship.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I quite enjoyed the first one, and it's got such huge potential so yes, I would absolutely love a sequel.

Don't see it happening though

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I'd rather they don't bother at all if this is what they go for. 1886 is a franchise that should be AAA in production and development. But they need to do a lot more than 86 for 87 if it happens. They need to get bigger and more ambitious with its sequel, I don't think I'd bother with it if they went a 40$ for the game route. Personally I don't give much a shit for content if the quality is incredible. I'm 2 hours in SotC for the first time, and I know the entire game will likely be 6-9 more hours and is fine.

But 87 should have online because it would be wasted not to, not just to buff content. Having weird wonky weapons and maybe even make the setting unique due to technology could allow for some fun online play. Add that the game drips with atmosphere, and I'm in.

EDIT: It's hilarious how divisive this game is though. Why did the mods not add the poll though? No respekk :(

I'm a bit confused by your statements. The Order should be large scale AAA with all the bells and whistles, but SotC is fine with its more minimalist approach? Why the difference? Because one is a traditional third-person shooter and the other is more of an artsy experience?

A large scale release would be great, but going all-in would be a massive risk. If that were to fail on an even grander scale, there would definitely be no reason to continue. So then if the story arc is designed with a trilogy in mind, you either shove everything in the second game and concretely end it, or you make another game that ends on a cliffhanger and we have this debate in another few years - with far less of a leg to stand on.

Just because a game is designed and marketed around the $40 price point, doesn't mean quality has to suffer.

Hellblade launched at $30 with an 8 hour campaign with little replayability, no multiplayer, incredible visuals that exceed most AAA games, a robust photo mode, and plenty of ambition thanks to the use of binaural audio and a story that respectfully tackled mental illness. It targeted a niche, was well received, and profitable in a matter of months. I don't need a Hellblade 2 - It was great, but I don't think the story and its message wouldn't benefit from another game - but it's nice to know that one would be economically feasible.

I think The Order was going for a lot of the same things and would benefit best from following a similar path. It would allow Ready at Dawn to target the proper demographic who are looking for a narrative-driven, single player experience, similar to the one they provided in the first - with improvements - while keeping costs down. Sacrificing the length and scope of content to keep the quality of content as high as possible would greater hedge their bets at building a sustainable franchise.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It probably won't get one but it totally deserves one in my book. I loved the game for what it was and it was a gorgeous, quick romp that established a beautiful setting but ended as soon as it started picking up.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
The potential is there for The Order to work. The biggest issue though was that it felt like so much time was put into making the game look good that they didn't put in as much work in the gameplay itself. Personally for myself, I'm not interested in a sequel, but I can see how it can happen.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah. I don't see why a sequel couldn't work. Think about Zone of the Enders 1 to Zone of the Enders 2. ZOE1 had decent gameplay, a not so interesting story, and ended on a cliff hanger. ZOE2 blew it away. Of course the Order 1887 would probably need to go to a different team.

OP
OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm a bit confused by your statements. The Order should be large scale AAA with all the bells and whistles, but SotC is fine with its more minimalist approach? Why the difference? Because one is a traditional third-person shooter and the other is more of an artsy experience?
This is a bit difficult to describe. I'm actually ok with the SP being around the same length I play SotC as 1887. However, I'm taking my sweet time. Played 2 hours and met only two Colossi, spending the first 30 mins just running about with the horse. It's about what you get, I don't need 400 collecitables like Assassin's Creed to feel vindicated for the price. But if you're going to make it 10 hours, you better blow me the fuck away during that time. And context is important, because I think a game like 1887 should have MP with several modes.
A large scale release would be great, but going all-in would be a massive risk. If that were to fail on an even grander scale, there would definitely be no reason to continue. So then if the story arc is designed with a trilogy in mind, you either shove everything in the second game and concretely end it, or you make another game that ends on a cliffhanger and we have this debate in another few years - with far less of a leg to stand on.
Yeah, a smaller game would keep me completely disinterested. I agree it's a bigger risk and if it doesn't hit 3.5m, the series is dead if they make a big AAA game. But if they make a 40$ game with no MP and just 6-7 hour campaign, I'd wager I won't buy the game unless it's on PS+.
Just because a game is designed and marketed around the $40 price point, doesn't mean quality has to suffer.

Hellblade launched at $30 with an 8 hour campaign with little replayability, no multiplayer, incredible visuals that exceed most AAA games, a robust photo mode, and plenty of ambition thanks to the use of binaural audio and a story that respectfully tackled mental illness. It targeted a niche, was well received, and profitable in a matter of months. I don't need a Hellblade 2 - It was great, but I don't think the story and its message wouldn't benefit from another game - but it's nice to know that one would be economically feasible.

I think The Order was going for a lot of the same things and would benefit best from following a similar path. It would allow Ready at Dawn to target the proper demographic who are looking for a narrative-driven, single player experience, similar to the one they provided in the first - with improvements - while keeping costs down. Sacrificing the length and scope of content to keep the quality of content as high as possible would greater hedge their bets at building a sustainable franchise.
Certain games need to be high scale for me, so I don't agree with the comparison. If I hear that TLOU 2 is going to be a 40$, shorter and no MP my interest would plummet. Now I'd still get the game since druckgoat is directing one of my favorite franchises of all time, but the interest would dwindle by a massive amount.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Affirmative. Loved the first one. It was flawed, but had a lot of promise. A sequel could be amazing.

Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas
I would love to see a sequel but I think that the chances of it happening are pretty slim. You can tell that once the game hit a certain point - they had reached a "we gotta ship this thing soon" point and the entire game rushed its way to the end, which is disappointing because it was a pretty deliberately paced adventure until they threw it all out for another sewer romp and end scene with little to no build up. Gameplay was passable, the graphics were pretty amazing, I got the game super cheap on one of the PS flash sales so maybe my opinion would be different if I paid full price for it. Would be interested to see if they could go further with the concept and really go crazy with the content, but I think Ready at Dawn & Sony butted heads in the development and the Order is another almost ran Sony franchise in the beginning of a console generation.

Kadab

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony is on the fence for a sequel maybe they should start a kickstarter to see if players really want it.