• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
So, I know The Outer Worlds has alot of buzz and many fans - No, I dont want to take anything away from you, keep enjoying the game, just trying to make a case here.

The Outer Worlds released three weeks ago, accompanied by glowing revies (current Openciritc score: 85), so as a fan of the Fallout games and ofObsidian games as a developer, I jumped into the Outer worlds expecting a great rpg -- and left massively let down.

Ill start with my biggest complaint:
The outer worlds is the most imbalanced (its actually not balanced at all) game I have ever played, to a point, where I'd say its fundamentally broken.
- Even on hard, I died maybe 2-3 times out of boredom, enemies have been no challenge after lvl 8 whatsoever.
- I had 2000 shots of ammunition after the first planet, making the whole ammunition-system pointless.
- I had way too much money after the first plant - and nothing interesting to buy - so I upgraded my weapons - making me even more overpowered.
- By leveling up multiple skills with a single skillpoint (of which you get 10 per levelup) until Rank 50//100, every skilltest ever became a joke - especially in the first few hours.

With combat being way too easy, I never had to put any more skills into combat, which - consequently - turnt most other relevant skills too high to ever choose ONE playstyle.
-> As a result, this completely destroys the "choose your path" approach in missions, as I always had the skills to do everything;
Sneaking? no problem, Convince? okay, hacking? lets do it.
Therefore I always chose the first option available to solve a quest.
-> By being overpowered way too quickly, I lost every incentive to go explore, do sidequests, loot chests.....

Other major, obvious issues:
- Consumables are both useless and way too common.
- There are like 10 types of enemies in the whole game.
- Item variety and weapons are really, really limited - Ive seen every (in reality probably like 90%) item the game had to offer after 3 hours.

I could rant on about the issues for much longer, but I hope my point is clear at this point:
How the hell could this game get such great reviews (multiple 90+) with such fundamental and obvious flaws?
Is the thirst for "proper" rpgs that high?

And no, Iam not saying its a bad game, it has alot of positives (world, many quests, most of the writing), but the gameplay aspect of the game is average at best.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is a really premature, hyperbolic and incredibly subjective thread. Poor form, honestly. Also, no, it's fantastic.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
People with all their hyperboles and exaggerations... "whole generation". Really, of the last SIX years? I can't take these people serious.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I mean, Red Dead Redemption 2 and it's WWI tank controls exist.

I get your frustrations, but the game is in the 80s on most review sites. That seems properly rated given its flaws (and I personally loved the game).

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I could say very similar things about Bethesda games - regardless, they are well loved in a lot of places.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree.

People lavished praise on it because it was better than Bethesda's recent efforts, especially in the role playing aspect, which isn't a high bar to clear.

My biggest issues were

- I didn't get the same enjoyment from exploring as I did from Fallout or Elder Scrolls
- Sneaking and stealing felt unsatisfying
- The main plot was very undercooked

Despite having worse writing and roleplaying I'd say I probably enjoyed Fallout 4 more.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Have you ever heard of _________"

Feel free to use this post as a template, folks!

I haven't played it, OP - but I was looking forward to the Switch release. If what you say is true, my hype has been...reduced.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
BotW exists, so no. Outer Worlds is a mediocre game, but at least it wasn't praised to high heaven as the best game ever.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It certainly exposes how hungry people were for a bethesda style RPG, while for some reason bethesda was busy with fallout fucking 76

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fine but there is definitely a lot of people out there who want to prop this game up as a "fuck you" to Bethesda. It wouldn't be nearly as praised if it weren't for that. People would have settled down and enjoyed it instead of screaming it's name from the mountain tops.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Of course everytime the word overrated comes out everyone chimes in to bring up a popular game that they dislike.

EDIT: Literally around half the posts above this one.

Oct 25, 2017
The game has too many systems for no reason. I guess because people expect a game like that to have them or something, but it's not great design. You barely have to think about anything, it's so streamlined.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't call it the most overrated but as a big Obsidian and RPG fan I was also very disappointed with the game. Their worst RPG game yet.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I liked The Outer Worlds and I am aware that they were going for something small-scale but it still felt more like a proof of concept than an actual, fully-fledged game.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I somewhat sorta agree, I am not personally as high on it as many others, but to juxtapose:

"Most overrated game of the generation"

with

" And no, I am not saying its a bad game, it has alot of positives"

with a mid-80s metascore

Doesn't quite paint a clear throughline here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Breath of the Wild
  3. Uncharted 4
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. God of War
  6. Bloodborne
  7. Super Mario 3D World
  8. Death Stranding
  9. NieR Automata
  10. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  11. And, of course, the game that started the discussion, The Outer Worlds

Jesus fucking Christ, Era, do you all actually like video games?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Anything that falls into the 'Soulsborne' genre is drastically more overrated than Outer Worlds.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it? I've seen a lot of positivity surrounding it and I've been loving it myself, but I haven't seen anyone suggesting it's one of the best games this generation. It's a really good game though.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like every complaint you have about TOW can be solved by increasing the difficulty level.

While I do agree that normal is perhaps too easy, you can make the game harder at literally any point.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone has opinions and you bring up valid points. However for me and my opinion it is one the better games of the generation. It is one of the few games that has me wanting to keep playing. I don't have a ton of time to play, but it has been a good 2 years since I put as many hours into a game as I have in the 3 weeks since it came out. As of today, I have 28 hours into the game and maybe halfway through Monarch and am still enjoying it. Yes, there are some issues and fully agree about the challenge (playing on Hard) and the over abundance of loot you find. But even with those warts, it is refreshing to me and something that I have not enjoyed in a long time.

Is it better than any game in the last 2 years, no. But I usually don't hammer games and for me to put 28 hours into it over 3 weeks is something I rarely ever do. Again, it does have some issues and not discounting them, but imo and the kind of games I enjoy it has been great and very enjoyable.

Feb 27, 2018
Hyperbolic for sure, but I agree on the balancing issue. There's almost no resistance to playing the game on Normal mode (listed as, 'the way The Outer Worlds was intended to be played'). There's no incentive for engaging with many if not all of the core gameplay systems - completing side quests for XP, consumables, gear... none of it matters, because you can just burn through the entire game just as easily without touching any of it.

I stopped at Monarch, and I have no inclination to return. Massive shame, because the quality of writing is clearly excellent, but the core gameplay loop is completely undermined by a lack of balance.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
yall should stop looking at review scores at this point because the number of topics essentially built around review scores that don't match one's personal opinion is wild. overrated, underrated, whatever, people will never agree on this shit.

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
! don't really disagree with any of your individual criticisms of the game. My biggest issue has been combat becoming brainless pretty quickly. But I didn't really mind that I ended up having several options on quests where I could choose to either hack, persuade, or lockpick my way to the conclusion.

I'm still enjoying my time with it. I like the story, characters, and writing a lot. I'd say it's landing in the 8/10 range for me. 85 doesn't sound insanely overrated to me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
also, OP, I certainly think there's some interesting stuff to talk about here, but your title completely eliminated any chance of that.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Is mario 3D world this generation?

Ill start with my biggest complaint:
The outer worlds is the most imbalanced (its actually not balanced at all) game I have ever played, to a point, where I'd say its fundamentally broken.
- Even on hard, I died maybe 2-3 times out of boredom, enemies have been no challenge after lvl 8 whatsoever.
- I had 2000 shots of ammunition after the first planet, making the whole ammunition-system pointless.
- I had way too much money after the first plant - and nothing interesting to buy - so I upgraded my weapons - making me even more overpowered.
- By leveling up multiple skills with a single skillpoint (of which you get 10 per levelup) until Rank 50//100, every skilltest ever became a joke - especially in the first few hours.

this sounds amazing honestly

dred

Oct 27, 2017
"Not even close in a generation where [insert popular game you don't like] came out!"

*pushes glasses up and snorts*

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The Outer Worlds and overrated are not words I would typically put together. If anything, I would say it is underlooked and deserves to be much bigger.