• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
OP, bash the Nintendo's joycons all you want. For the price, they are absolute garbage.

I had the left joycon drift about a year after I purchased the Switch. After looking in to it, I realized I was far from alone. Just in a large Nintendo Wechat group (China's Whats App), it seems like a third of the members have/are experiencing the same thing. My left joycon's drifting got so bad that I had no choice but to buy a replacement. Little did I know that a set costs $70. I was shocked that such a shoddy piece of tech cost that much. I went with the pro controller (I really wanted a proper d-pad), hoping that I could get someone to fix my left joycon. No luck yet, but there's no way in hell I'm spending $70 more on a piece of tech that is proven faulty.

I'd love to read an official statement from nintendo regarding this issue.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Are a lot of people experiencing this? I have two right joycons with drift.
Does anyone know if a compressed air duster fixes it?

sometimes. contact cleaner can help too. for some users, this corrects the problem and it doesn't come back too frequently. for others, it's a temporary solution and the problem returns.

my launch day joycons just started drifting, at about the same time. i might try to clean them before buying new ones, but it is a bummer generally to see this issue is so widespread. i guess i'm lucky that it took my joycons so long to finally run into this problem.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They have really failed to capitalize on the whole detachable controller thing in general, outside of color swaps.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
My right joycon drifts.
Need to get me one of those eletrical contact cleaner.

They should repair them for free. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Worst controllers I have ever owned. Not fit for purpose and may have put me off buying Nintendo hardware until years afterwards and the baseless hype subsides and allows issues like this to get more coverage.

Oct 29, 2017
My launch Switch has some issues when it comes to the right JoyCon - there are definitely instances of drift down-wards, and for some reason there are some games where holding down doesn't result in the controller recognizing it as a full-tilt - but overall, I've had some amazing luck with the Switch.

I have had it in a case ever since I've owned it, which does make me wonder if I've perhaps had it suffer less dust and wind exposure, but I have a strong feeling that I'm going to end up in the camp who are going to effectively have a non-functioning JoyCon and be forced to sell out beaucoup bucks to get another set.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I sent mine to fix and they had it as soon as new. I do not understand why people do not use technical service.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Launch unit here red and blue
Also bought a set of grey joy-cons
Mate threw one of the grey ones on the floor during 12 switch and from that moment on drifted
Eventually sent back to Nintendo and got a refund
Bought the melon green and pink joycons after
Both original and melon set have no issues with drift, I make sure that when I do a firmware update I also update the firmware on all the joycons too

Personally I think the junk crap dpad on the pro controller is the biggest embarrassment in Nintendo design in years - virtually unusable in some games

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
I have two sets of joycons. Two of the joycons have stick drift. One of them has a bad shoulder button.

Its absolutely insane. Nintendo generally made their stuff pretty sturdy. How their controllers keep having these issues is almost unacceptable. I've had to send my original set to repairs twice. I bought a second set while they were being repaired.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Is this really a Switch thing? My 4 joycons work fine but I've had two DS4s already that drift. Seems like it's a problem on all modern controllers.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno but it's a real shame. My left is drifting badly and both left and right won't work as solo joycon anymore, they can only work as a pair. The lights don't light up when they're synced to the console either. I get they're launch joycon but I've only had them for a couple years and they're fucked, lost a good amount of functionality.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
recalling a ton of joycons for an issue that most of us can fix is dumb

I had major drifting issues on mine too. take off the rubber cap and realign the hedges. mine work fine again

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Do we known how many people have had this issue compared to the amount of people who haven't? If it's not too big of an issue, it doesn't make sense for them to do a recall when they can just deal with the issue on a case by case basis. I still have two pairs of launch joycons working perfectly fine with no drift at all, and I never see this issue being brought up outside of enthusiast forums, so I'm not sure how widespread this actually is.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
not really. the intendend audience likes it (families and kids).
it's not really a resetera feature.
Lets just not innovate in general then, if families and kids are cool with it.

I'm sure you might find a family member or two that doesn't like the dpad.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
My experience with Joy Cons has been lackluster to be honest. My original joycons, the right one despite being connected for handheld mode would continually suddenly thing it's in wireless mode and fuck up anything I was trying to play. I tried buying replacement rails thinking the contacts my be bad but that didn't fix anything. Said fuck it and bought replacement joycons, worked great for two months until the right joycon started doing it again and the left one, the L button stopped working randomly and it's drifting.

I'm almost to the point where I'm giving up on handheld mode for the switch for most games, buying a pro controller and treating it like a regular console.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it even affects everyone. While I've had loads of other problems with the device(had it since launch). Case cracking around the power button, screen raising up, joycon coming out of its socket without force and the fan failing.... Stick drift is the one thing I haven't had.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came here to read all the Nintendo hand waiver posts and I wasn't disappointed.

I don't think a recall is necessary but they should change the 1 year policy to be a lifetime repair because of how shitty the joycons are. I've had two right joysticks drift (one so bad i couldn't even play tetris with it anymore) and my friend just had hers start acting up a few months ago when she was playing Pokemon Evee. The Switch is a great console but anyone trying to make it sound like the Joycons are a good product are just lying to themselves and everyone in this post.

At least the Pro Controller is excellent. Minus the shitty d-pad.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Because the cost of a recall is higher than the estimated cost of the damage to their brand for not doing a recall.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
I've had more go wrong with the Switch and its joycons than I've had with all previous Nintendo consoles and controllers combined. It's disappointing and maddening.

But the Switch is selling like crazy and there is no significant media outcry regarding this problem, so Nintendo doesn't care.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I used compressed air in the past, but now my go-to recommendation is WD40 Electrical Contact Cleaner. Two minutes and the joycons are as good as new.

25ec1845-85ed-4b98-a419-678511fa7573._CR188,0,1125,1500_PT0_SX300__.jpg

I keep a bottle on my desk just for keeping my joycons happy. I figure one bottle ought to last me a few years easily.
Yup. Revived my joycons, and my DS4 too, which had the same problem.

It's almost as if heavy use of a device produces wear that requires maintenance!

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I basically can only either use my switch in portable mode or about 30cm away in docked. They're absolute pieces of shit.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
How much does it cost to fix/replace it through Nintendo? I have three JoyCons with drift issues (two right, one left)...
It was completely free cause I was within one year of purchase. Go to the support website and follow the steps but you need a copy of the receipt

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Funny enough my original launch day controllers are fine, including a (USED FROM GAMESTOP) matching red and blue pair to have a complete double red and blue set ...but the brand new from walmart Splatoon Themed ones have drift on the left stick. Doesn't make any sense.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The joycons are absolute pieces of shit. You cannot reliably speed run any game with them detached from the console unless you're within some few centimeters away from the base. Every once in a while you'll get some slight desync that fucks you right up.

The Pro controller is a decent alternative, but has the shittiest D-Pad Nintendo has ever produced, which registers unintended diagonals.

Out of all companies that I would ever expect to fuck something like this up, Nintendo was the last. Yet here we are in 2019: Nintendo has two official control methods for its console, and both of them have major obvious defects that are regressions from previous control methods they've produced. I'm just speechless.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
So maybe I'm wrong about the free repairs but I still feel a full on recall is a tad unnecessary. It's not a major problem and it sounds like it's easily fixed.

It is a pretty major problem to constantly lose control of your character or camera, I also wouldn't say it's an easy fix since the only permanent solution is to replace the entire stick (which will end up wearing out again eventually).
You have to be within a year of purchase (ie, the warranty period). I sent my launch joycon in a week or two before I hit a year (the CS rep even made a comment to the affect of "wow cutting it close!") due to drifting and they fixed it for free no problem.
The problem is that it seems to take a matter of months before the drifting really starts and you'll likely be out of the warranty period by then. My right joycon started drifting about 1.5 years after launch so I had to replace it with a new stick myself. Just a matter of days later the left joycon started drifting. Maybe if you play really heavily you'll be "lucky" enough for the drifting to start under warranty...

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not trying to bash Switch or Nintendo. I love the platform to pieces. But honestly the joycon drift is rampant and extremely disappointing.

Sure, Switch is selling really well, but this is still not a good look to Nintendo's brand, and leaving it unaddressed feels like a poor response.

I get things were more dire back then, & it was a different era, but the Ambassador Program on 3DS felt like such a swift response. The silence this time is comparatively jarring.
What the hell does the ambassador program has to do with it?

Also, how do you expect Nintendo to act if no one is pressuring them? How can you love a product with a fabric defect?

The only jarring thing here is how can a consumer be happy with a product that has such defect from fabric and the company is just sugar coating the problem.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the latter is a bit more understandable than the former.
It's in tandem. I barely got through 3 games before it became unplayable with the new pair.

The drift is so bad I cant even use the built in calibration feature because the indicator doesn't snap back. The drift is that bad.

Something this shoddy should not be this price. I literally cannot use either of my joycons sets. Pro controller is my only option without spending yet another $75 on a shitty controller.

Seep

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't have the drift issue but my right con does lose connection for about half a second every now and then.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Everytime I read threads like this I feel like minority. I still have my launch ones and never had a single problem. Ever.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lots of controllers have had the same issues, my left joycons does it every once in a while but my DS4 is EVEN worse if you can believe it.