• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Another aspect is that Smash characters stick around for like... ever. Once they're in, they're pretty much always coming back, unless there's certain circumstances that cause them to be cut. But if your favorite gets in, chances are good you'll have them for a long time.

It's basically the culmination of what could potentially be decades of wanting something, but never knowing if you're getting it, and then finally getting it and having it for the long run.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
It's the crossover nature of it and Smash becoming the biggest crossover in video games. Arguably it's the biggest crossover media. Fans request non video game characters all the time.

You don't see a Dragon Ball world or SpongeBob requests for Kingdom Hearts or MvC games.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
character reveals in general bring the hype.

Smash Characters tend to be really famous.

There ya go.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Because we've reached the point where surprises in Smash can come from just about anywhere. People wanna know who's willing to team up with Nintendo to represent their game in Smash. Gordon Freeman doesn't even seem impossible.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
At this point I don't even remember who was the first crossover character ... Sonic?

They've done a fantastic job making this announcements feel like important moments in history that everybody want to witness and comment.

It can also hurt Nintendo in the long term ... any direct or event from them that doesn't have a Smash announcement becomes an instant failure these days. And ... there's a limit of what Sakurai can work.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
At this point I don't even remember who was the first crossover character ... Sonic?

They've done a fantastic job making this announcements feel like important moments in history that everybody want to witness and comment.

It can also hurt Nintendo in the long term ... any direct or event from them that doesn't have a Smash announcement becomes an instant failure these days. And ... there's a limit of what Sakurai can work.
Snake was the first guest character. Sonic was second.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smash also functions as a sort of Nintendo curated Video Game Hall of Fame, so seeing your favorite character make it in probably feels very validating. Yes, there are some characters in for marketing (Corrin, The Luminary as the default Hero, etc.), but in general a character making it in is a big deal for fans of that character.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
It doesnt? Outside of a spectrum/demographic, I dont think a lot of people give two shits.
Its the nearest thing in videogames to the popularity of crossovers like the avengers movies. Its the best selling fighting game ever and one of the best selling games series period. Nintendo nerds and casuals are all excited to see what crazy reveals this game brings.
And you are saying people outside "this niche" dont give 2 shits.
Then ALL videogames are basically niche, and thats simply not true.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
because they treat DLC drops as acqusition, and they roll out acquisition tactics to drive game sales.
DLC drops are great for 'zombies' to come back and play and obviously good for retention, which increaseis player activity during a specific window.

Eventize that window and go beyond the core base, and suddenly you can sell more copies again to players friends and general audiences (who may like the IP of the new character).

So since it's retention + MTX + acquisition, it unlocks bigger budgets which means they can afford CG for each character.

Oct 25, 2017
1 because it's rad

2 because you know that smash bros characters get a lot of love put into them and are probably going to be the most faithful recreation of your favorite characters while also updating them to modern standards. They're often better recreations than even the original companies are doing.

3 it could be almost anyone or anything

4 sakurai and co have a very special flair to the way they make their announcements with tons of handcrafted scenarios and inside jokes/references, and the cg portions have wonderful direction.

5 at this point getting in smash bros is like into a hall of fame.

DeadeyeNull

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 26, 2018
Because the characters are already loved outside of smash. Also because the cgi trailer are usually made in a way were they build up anticipation before you see the render with the characters name. Plus 70+ characters in each one will be inherently more hype then the last.
Other fighting games typically show a really hype gameplay sequence or combo that ends in a super at the end of the trailer. While this is cool on its own there's never really a build up to a reveal.
I thought the Cyberpunk trailer was great in general but the best part by far was the Keanu Reeves reveal, and smash bros trailers always have that type of effect.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Because it's a crossover game: it's reveals of beloved characters from other IP, which means that BIG reveals like Banjo can happen.

The principle behind it is the same that leads to the MCU working so well, in my opinion: crossovers are fun and exciting.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They don't have hardly any impact on me anymore. The Banjo reveal was surprisingly whatever for me. The big shocks are pretty much out of the way now with Snake, Mega Man, Belmonts, Cloud all on board. If they get Steve or Monster Hunter I still won't really care. The game has just run its course and the 'everything video games!!!' feeling has worn out its welcome. The latest games took 'hey do you remember THIS deep cut???' feeling to the ultimate level. But when I play one of these mega hyped newcomers I typically try them out then go back to my main. So for all that I got 5 minutes of real fun with the new character. Some of the new characters aren't that fun at all either (you have to get good first). I'm really glad I didn't buy the DLC pass as it would have been a waste of money for me. If they use this engine and roster again on the next one I'm out.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't say that completely overrides every subpar direct. Even the Smash blowout at last year's direct (e3 2018) still received some backlash for being sparse outside of Smash.

Banjo is just something else entirely. I didn't grow up with the character, but even I recognize how important that announcement is. Smash opening up to more Western characters and cross platform characters? Nintendo and Microsoft developing their relationship even further? A potential revival of arguably the best game in the collectathon genre? That's absolutely worth the reactions we've been seeing, and some of the people trying to downplay this are being absurd (not you specifically, but I've seen some pretty dumb comments bordering on console war bullshit)

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Smash as a series is really popular.
Smash stars Nintendo's and other video game companies' all-stars (so fans of those series also get excited).
Smash trailers tend to be really high quality and cool.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
That game is something else bro. It can hype the f out of the fans. Devotion could be called.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Because it is Smash! Smash Ultimate is really exciting for anyone that plays games since the possibly that a character you love can be in. Ultimate really stepped it up with all DLC character so far being 3rd party and it included several additional 3rd party characters in the base game. Smash is just a really special game because there really is something or someone that everyone can connect with.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Because Smash Bros is the greatest video game franchise of all time.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
I think it's largely a combination of the trailers themselves being well made and the fact that Smash reveals are symbolic of something else going on with the IP being featured.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
smash is the biggest celebration of video games, in the form of a video game.
also very good marketing and really cool trailers.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nerdy people love smashing their favorite characters agaisnt each other like they did their action figures when younger.

Oct 27, 2017
Because smash is the biggest videogame crossover of all time, and getting a character like banjo & kazooie, which seemed impossible due to ip shenanigans, is a very big deal.

Watch those reaction videos and those real tears in people's faces when they realize it's b&k in the latest reveal. The moment the jiggy appears on screen for a brief second the heart of many skipped a beat.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At one point I acknowledge how hype Smash Bros is, but on the other side.... I just don't get how the character reveals get that much hype and it's almost every time.

I'm curious to know how many people consistently play Smash Bros, vs these character reveals being used as a way to bring people back after some time away and get them online again.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
People love the shit out of crossovers in general, though Smash has several factors that have made its reveals stand out even further:

• As noted, Smash is a massive franchise, to the point where every Smash since Melee has been considered a killer app for its system.
  • Smash is specifically a massive Nintendo crossover that has since expanded to being the biggest crossover in gaming period. Like it's not hyperbole when people compare it to the MCU.
  • Since 4 Smash has created spectacular trailer showcases for each character reveal and has marketed them specifically to be major events.
  • Also since 4 Smash has increasingly focused on non-Nintendo properties, to the point where the Fighter Pass is currently and most likely will be nothing but third-parties.
  • The level of crossover is basically at MUGEN fantasy level. Sony made its own Smash clone and yet Smash proper has Snake and Cloud. Banjo is a dream come true after Microsoft bought Rare. And you can take these characters, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Simon Belmont, and one of the DQ heroes and have them deal with fucking Rathalos at a Pokemon stadium. And this isn't getting to the Shovel Knight AT, the Bomberman AT, the copious Spirit representation for Rayman, and the added Spirits for Shantae and Risky Boots just for kicks, among so much more.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's easy to take for granted what a momentous achievement Smash is. Pretend in some alternate timeline Smash never existed before now, and Ultimate was the very first game in this new crossover series. Just think of how impossible it would seem and how many minds would be blown.

From that perspective, the amount of hype Smash trailers get is actually only a fraction of what they would get if we all weren't kinda used to it.
We just had a thread a few weeks back about exactly this. Smash(and Sakurai and the many teams who have worked on Smash) is absolutely taken for granted. As you say if Smash were suddenly created today people wouldn't be able to handle it. Some people on this forum have been alive for the entirety of Smash's existence.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
people have been waiting for botw2 for 2 years.

people have been waiting for banjo since 1999

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
There is something that makes you feel like a kid again in having all the characters you grew up with in one giant crossover, as long as it is well executed(sorry Project X Zone, you don't count)
Even if its not an old childhood character, having a new favorite join in with industry legends is a feeling that is indescribable(looking at you Joker)