• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Why havent you bought a switch yet?

• The library of games does not interest me

Votes: 209 30.2%
  • I dont care for the portabel aspect

Votes: 64 9.2%
  • I am waiting for a new model at this point

Votes: 252 36.4%
  • I dont like the hardware

Votes: 40 5.8%
  • Other reasons

Votes: 128 18.5%

• Total voters

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I was ready to get one a while ago but then rumours of revised hardware came out, now I'm day one for the more powerful version.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I have most of the Switch Nintendo games that interest me as they are already on Wii U... The remaining stuff is or will also be on PS4 Pro and will most likely run better. It's also way too expensive for what it is IMO considering that I don't care about portability and I would have to rebuy everything I already have on Wii U (ported games and 3 additional controllers + a Pro since the basic Ninty controllers aren't very comfortable) only to get a similar experience in the end.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Them updated models my man. And I'm getting very impatient. Nintendo needs to just announce the damn thing(s) already, we know it exists. But no, milk as much of the original model as you can, then surprise em by announcing the newer model once people have already caved.

SSBU, Pokemon later this year. Maybe even Zelda, I really wanted to try getting into that series. All games I want to play.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm mainly waiting for the new updated "Pro" model.

Also until recently I've found it hard to justify since many of the must have games I have on the Wii U so I'll get one in September to coincide with Link's Awakening, assuming the new model is out by then.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all gonna hate me but I wanted one for FIFA. Career mode on that game is my crack. Imagine playing it on the go. When I learned that 20 is going to be the Legacy bullshit that happens on PS3/360 at this point, stopped caring at all for it.

Yes, I do not want a Switch because a gimped version of FIFA will be there, that's my reason right there.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is like Sony with yhe games. They get a ton out and the quality is high. I don't care for most but it only takes 2 or 3 truly fascinating ones to have me seriously looking at a system.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't like the hardware + library doesn't interest me + don't like portable gaming.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's a bit of both of the first two options ("The library of games does not interest me" and "I don't care for the portable aspect").

There are some games that interest me, but the only one I really want is Super Mario Odyssey. I also don't care for remakes or remasters.

All games that are not Switch exclusive I would/will get on other platforms, because and I don't care about portable gaming and already have a decent PC and a PS4 Pro.

Still, I will probably get a Switch when the time is right. I just didn't feel it yet.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I got one at christmas 2017 and bought 3 games (MK8, SMO, BotW). There were a number of other games I was (am) interested in, but software prices put me off. Also, the switch is too bulky IMO as a portable, so it never left my living room. That means it collected dust and I eventually sold the system 2-3 months ago.
Switch is still on my radar though and software support looks good to me. If they announce a smaller version that is still capable of TV gaming I might buy it again. I'll stick to physical games and sell them afterwards because having a library of games isn't as important to me anymore as it was before.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Bought one at launch - and over the next couple of months played Mario, Mario kart, zelda, rabbids, Octopath and bought a load of indies. I don't care about smash and sold it back in October as I had hardly touched it for weeks. Only thing I really want to play right now on it that I can't is Cadence of Hyrule but other than that I'm not bothered.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Lack of enough games that interest me. And lack of time for yet another console, tbh. Since I don't spend a lot of time commuting to work because I live so close, I don't have the need for a portable device at the moment. I can't justify $350. But I'll probably end up buying it much later just like I did with the Wii U.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Not enough games that justify the price. For 100 bucks? Sure, would buy it. But right now the only games I'm interested in are Zelda Breath of the Wild and Link's Awakening, with Octopath Travelers released on PC, this one's gone. If they would release Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and at least another Zelda (OoT, MM, SW) I'm so in.

Han

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Numerous reasons:

Bought the Wii U and played it barely just for lack of time. Don't want to make this mistake again. My PC backlog is already huge enough for the rest of my life.

Also there are just the Mario Rabbid game, Mario Odyssey and potentially Fire Emblem, Pokémon and Metroid which I am interested in.

And I don't care that it is portable.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone think the price will actually drop? Even if/when a new model is announced, will base switch drop? My only experience is when the WiiU was recognised as an abject failure so I figured I'd be able to pick up a bundle cheap, but even at the end of life it remained full price. I read all the arguments about devaluing the brand or whatever, but it seemed silly and I never bought one. So in my head I'm expecting a new switch model to be more expensive and the old switch model to retain its current pricing.

Given I have very little interest in most Nintendo IPs, the 3rd party support is lacking or vastly better handled on other consoles, it basically comes down to price as a barrier to me. I'll buy one just to play breath of the wild or portable Skyrim if the price is right, but full price, 2 years later? I know it's not worth it.

I had two friends who bought one not long after launch and both sold them within the year as they just gathered dust.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
The rumours of a more powerful machine have put me off. If/when one is announced, then I will pull the trigger.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Most of the options in the poll apply to me to some extent.​

Ultimately, though, the key reason is the lack of high-profile software that interests me. Outside of Mario and Zelda, the rest of Nintendo's current output doesn't do anything for me. Metroid Prime was the 3rd game I was looking forward to, but that didn't work out.​

3rd party support is practically non-existent, the few titles that Switch gets are either inferior versions of multiplatform games or late ports (usually both). And while I LOVE indies and it's awesome to see Nintendo supporting them, I can already play these games on my PC (usually at lower prices too). It's definitely not an incentive for me to spend 300+ euros for a new device.​

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I still have a ton of 3DS/DS games to finish. Plus a ton of PC and Playstation. There's just so much.
Plus, the only games that interest me are Botw and Odyssey. And I played botw on a friends wiiu...

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I have most of the Wii U games (and my Wii U gets regular use) so the list of exclusive Switch games is lower than someone who didn't have a Wii U (which realistically is most people).
That and people's complaints about the Joycon and Pro controller sticks n pads have put me off somewhat.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I want it more portable, with better battery life, and with the dock screen scratching fixed.

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
I don't care for portability, but I've been considering it with how good Zelda and Mario games are supposed to be, I'm trying to reduce the time I spend on the same old games and get more enjoyment from games again so if I do get one I hope it feels like a breath of fresh air.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
High price for both the Switch and the games
Paid online
Lack of games I'm interested (I have a Wii U, 3DS and PC)
Lack of basic features

May 18, 2018
I clicked the not into portable aspect but to be more informative, its more to do with price AND the portable aspect - I think it's way overpriced because of that. Give me a version which can hit 1080p with decent AA and frame rates for on my TV and I'd buy one (even at the current price). BOTW @ 900p and not even a locked 30fps? Pop-in and pretty fucking jaggy too - no thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised MK @ 1080p/60fps looks a fair but jaggy too on a 4k screen. Mario Odyssey certainly does.

So better hardware as opposed to a portable aspect I'm not interested in would be far more appealing to me personally.

Got my list of games I'll buy one day though IF a Switch 2 addresses my issues!

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I really only want one for Splatoon but I can't justify the price for just one game.. and I'd want to get a pro controller as well so that's more of a cost.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
For the past two years I've been waiting for the games I'm really interested in to rack up before pulling the plunge. And now that the games library is there, I want to wait to see if anything comes from the new hardware rumours.

I'm quite happy with my current gaming setup, so I'm in no rush.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Expecting a newer model to be released, and I guess there's not enough games (exclusives) that interest me. Plan is i'd like to get one at the back end of this year as we have a baby on the way and portable gaming will be ideal!

Mackmannen

Oct 27, 2017
I waiting for a new model, if it's available in some kind of Animal Crossing theme it would be an insta buy.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
-Bad HW quality
-Unneccessary joycons
-Too large and heavy
-Too bad performance and want better FPS in BOTW
-Not too many good games I haven't played already on other platforms
-Lack of remasters/Virtual Console of classic Nintendo Games
-Expensive games and their store/digital licenses doesn't seem as futureproof as the competitors
-I don't have the social skills to play games outside home
-I only have time for one platform anyway

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Don't care about portable and it didn't have enough great exclusives to justify the relatively high price that never goes down

I do want one now but with all the rumours about new models I'm not paying that much for the old one

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was prohibitally expensive when it launched, despite me being a lifelong fan of Nintendo. Now, I really want one, but may as well wait until September to see if the rumors of Switch Mini are true as that model would be PERFECT for me.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Still waiting for more interesting games apart from Zelda, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there is very little on the console that is a must buy to me, despite being a nintendo guy.

most of the games were also part of the wii u library, and what little is new, it's not enough to make me buy an entire console..i already did the mistake once with the wii u

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I bought one, but it really just gathers dust at the moment. It has a lot of cool ports that I might've played on it (particularly the RE games) had I not already played them elsewhere in recent years. I honestly love me good last-gen or older ports/remasters (I missed a lot of gems over the years), but in most cases I already played them up on PS4 :/

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about the portable format, and the library doesn't interest me as much as the other consoles.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have the money at the time because I was in the middle of moving two states over, and now that I've saved up enough money, I'm just waiting for Nintendo to unveil the new model. I don't want to be the kind of chump who bought a Nintendo DS the month before Nintendo unveiled the DS Lite.

Any day now...