• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
People. Are. Not. Following. Social. Distancing. Guidelines.

You can't just trust the fucking public to act like responsible adults. YOU CAN'T. People are out and about right now, as I type this, to pick up a handful of non essential bullshit from the grocery store. They might be going to Walmart to pick up a movie, or a game that they could just as easily buy digitally, or they just gotta have their daily Starbucks!

People are still attending churches in mass.

We have to lock down places of gathering and enforce the shit out of those who ignore the reality we are facing! Leaving these places of business open for people to enter is putting everyone at risk, and is absolutely unfair to the workers who don't have a fucking choice but to be exposed.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Pick up only is not the best solution for staff either since a store I work for is listed as essential and is pick up only yet every one of the 100 staff has to come in every day and work in the store

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Pick up only is not the best solution for staff either since a store I work for is listed as essential and is pick up only yet every one of the 100 staff has to come in every day and work in the store
Right, pick up is far more labor intensive for the store. It's just not going to be practical at every store with the high volume of shoppers right now.

OP
OP
MasterYoshi

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be a way to make things safer. I would trust my coworkers moreso than the general public because we can set rules in place and enforce them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big box chains like Walmart and Target get hundreds or thousands of customers an hour, this is completely unsustainable with the number of employees they have on shift at a time.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
That won't work for a place like Lowe's or Home Depot, or Costco. They have to crowd control by limiting the number of people in the store at once.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Wouldn't that require a good website you can order from? Which I imagine most small grocers wouldn't have.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Big box chains like Walmart and Target get hundreds or thousands of customers an hour, this is completely unsustainable with the number of employees they have on shift at a time.

This. Asking store to rapidly change how they function in a short amount of time isn't feasible. There's always jokes about how Walmart never has enough lanes open, can you imagine how long it would take to get groceries if everything worked on a pick-up only model? It would take literal hours to receive items and car would be massively backed up let alone Walmart employees finding and servicing every vehicle and car. Even if it was online orders only, it would still be a massive undertaking. Stores would need to be trained for weeks to handle something of this magnitude.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Office supply store I work at is still fully open, customers can come in, most stores in the company are still running regulars hours too.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
It's a numbers game in the end. They don't expect literally everyone to follow social distancing, they expect the theoretical "everyone" to. It reduces interaction whatever %, you're not going to get it to 0

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
There has to be a way to make things safer. I would trust my coworkers moreso than the general public because we can set rules in place and enforce them.

I like my coworkers but I already have a reason not to trust them. One of the ones I like more even (like we get along well) apparently kept going to work even thoguh she was waiting on results for a COVID test... granted I work retail so most hte people I work with can't afford losing hours but still... she was willing to risk everyone else (luckily it turned out negative so there was nothing to worry about).

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
OP I know you're hearts in the right place but......nope.

There's a difference between a Best Buy or GameStop doing that and a super market. Supermarkets are not staffed to handle that kind of volume for fulfilling online orders for that many people. From experience you also have people do silly things like oder 1 deodorant stick so the number of orders would be ridiculous if nobody could shop in store. And there is also a class issue since not everyone has credit cards or internet, the poor need to eat too.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Don't grocers have enough people calling multiple times a day asking

Do you have toilet paper?
When will you get toilet paper?
Why don't you have toilet paper?

Now, repeat those calls for hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, bottled water, paper towels, bleach, milk, eggs.

And you want to ADD to that by having people call in orders for curbside pickups? You do realize most grocery store websites aren't equipped to do this and couldn't possibly handle the sharp uptick if methods suddenly switch over?

"Best Buy did it, though!"

Best Buy doesn't have near the demand that a grocery store would.