• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
If they do eventually make a MW2 remaster I would hope they leave it broken. Well, they can remove grenade launchers and one man army but everything else is fine.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you heard anything since? Surely it has to be a full Remaster now instead of just the Campaign only bullshit they wanted to pull?
Remastering the multiplayer causes no end of headaches. They'd be better off releasing remakes of the campaigns and creating Modern Warfare Online to accompany them. A single online game that pairs all the content from all the Modern Warfare games into a single package. They've been toying with this loose idea for some time, in the form of Call of Duty: Online. And there's also a Call of Duty mobile game that is going global very soon and packages a bunch of fan-favorite CoD MP content into a single game.

Annual releases and multiplayer have never gone well together. There's a reason most successful MP series simply update for years instead of releasing sequels. Suppose they remaster Modern Warfare 3 as well. Then they have Modern Warfare 1 Remastered MP, Modern Warfare 2 Remastered MP, Modern Warfare 3 Remastered MP, and Modern Warfare 4 MP all vying for player's attention. This is in addition to whatever Call of Duty titles release in the meantime. (And of course the mobile CoD game.

Activision have probably caved and added MP to the MW2 remaster, but it's going to bite them eventually.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
They'll definitely sucker me into buying whatever package deal MW2R comes in just for MW2R. Had so much fun playing this one online.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
My theory: MW series remasters will only happen alongside an Infinity Ward cod game. So this year for MW2, and 2022 for MW3.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
They better not bundle mw2 with a crappy COD unless it's mw4. Who am I kidding I would still buy.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
"Weak remaster"? Raven's remake of Modern Warfare was absolutely exceptional.

If you like paying for overpriced DLC that was already DLC in the base game along with shitty pay 2 to win microtransaction elements shoved up your ass, sure.

The modern warefare series went downhill from a campaign standpoint after the first game anyways, so even the point of remastering for other games for that reason is pointless. Nostalgia for the AAA game industry of the annualized hell that was the 7th gen is definitely not something i have

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you like paying for overpriced DLC that was already DLC in the base game along with shitty pay 2 to win microtransaction elements shoved up your ass, sure.
None of that matters if you avoid the MP and simply play the campaign.
The modern warefare series went downhill from a campaign standpoint after the first game anyways, so even the point of remastering for other games for that reason is pointless.
Modern Warfare 2's campaign is pretty damn good. I'm replaying it currently on PC. It's hammy Jesse Stern melodrama, but it's good fun with memorable characters. (And an exceptional soundtrack.) Modern Warfare 3 wasn't really my cup of tea, but it has its fans.

We're likely getting Modern Warfare 4 this year.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I would definitely buy both if they are of the same quality that the campaign in MW:R was. One of the best remasters this gen easily.

ankhoa123

Nov 23, 2017
MW3 is my favorite game in the series, spent nearly 500 hours playtime ingame. The strike package system that allowed you to equip specific killstreak per class is really brilliant. Really looking forward to seeing this return in 2019's COD.

MW2 on the other hand is really painful to play, especially when you would probably run into several players using grenade launcher, knife running with commando pro, akimbo G18 or UMP 45.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I do hate it when players use weapons and tactics in the game that can be easily countered with a change of tactics on my end. I just want to use the same tactics every time and always succeed. Why aren't all games balanced around my interests?

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is still alive on PC, 360, PS3 and the One. Would like to see a remaster though only if the game is pre patch 1.07. Need those Akimbo Model 1887 snipers.

TOOG7kR.gif
Or as I'd like to call it, the Split Screen Match Killer.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
The WewLads (apparently real reliable sources) have all but said the MW2 & 3 campaigns are being remastered. Although, it's only because of some weird deal with Sony.

Not sure about MP as there haven't been any leaks about the MP being remastered so I doubt that happens.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Hardcore Headquarters the GOAT

Lasering OMA nerds with the M16 so fast their shell disappears in mid air

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
All I can hope for is that Infinity Ward makes a Modern Warfare themed BR mode and uses all of their classic maps. I cannot fuck with COD traditional MP anymore after playing Blackout - which may go down as my favorite COD game mode ever. And that includes MW2. I cannot stop playing and following all things related to Blackout now.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
If you all didn't know, IW brought back the akimbo models in Infinite Warfare

Uuy5LqP.jpg

They aren't quite unpatched MW2 levels, but they're still some of the best shotties in the game. They even had a triple barreled version that was pretty OP for a little while.

u2CWPWL.jpg

A balance update made the triple barrel version better off as a single-wielded weapon though, trading fire-rate/lever speed for damage and range. Still ridiculously stylish to carry around six barrels of boom though.

Last edited:

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Theyre waiting for another new cod to have a poor reception upon its reveal to tether mw2 to it to force people to buy it again.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
"Weak remaster"? Raven's remake of Modern Warfare was absolutely exceptional. Masterfully crafted, faithful to the original, but with light handed improvements that elevate it even higher.

Also, "better new products"? Infinity Ward's last Call of Duty was Infinite Warfare, which is one of the best FPS games of the past decade.

I was with you till the Infinite Warfare claim. Then I knew you were left field by 300 miles.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the campaings of MW2 and MW3 are not very good, and there are better multiplayer CoD now, so I guess there's not much point in remastering them, other than try to cash in the nostalgia. Maybe if they do they will offer it as a preorder / include it on the expensive edition of CoD.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was with you till the Infinite Warfare claim. Then I knew you were left field by 300 miles.
Howso? Infinite Warfare is the sister game to Titanfall 2, which is also one of the best FPS games of the past decade. Its writing by Brian Bloom -- who also stars in the game -- is particularly outstanding. It gracefully captures the spirit of courage and comradeship that defines so much great space opera. And mechanically it's an incredibly tight game that balances combat, stealth, and dog-fighting to create a package which provides a revolving door of variety, and doesn't wear out its welcome. It also introduces some pretty cool experimental gameplay elements such as limb damage and non-regenerating health. It also moves away from the linear narrative of previous Call of Duty games by letting you choose which side missions you want to complete in any order you want.

Squadron 42 may prove to be better than Infinite Warfare, but considering Squadron 42 is a long way from release, Infinite Warfare remains on top. It's a stellar game that proves beyond a doubt the new Infinity Ward are among the best studios working in the industry. (It doesn't hurt that a selection of former Naughty Dog developers including the lead developer of The Last of Us was in charge of it.)

There's a reason Infinite Warfare's campaign attracted so much praise from reviewers.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I thought about this a lot and I think they remastered Cod4 because they felt infinite warfare was going to be too weak on it's own. So it was the perfect addition to sell a more expensive legacy edition.

I would imagine they were confident WW2 and BO4 would hold their own so it wasn't needed. With Infinity Wards turn coming back around, they'll probably make Modern Warfare 4. I'd guess it will have traditional multiplayer and a battle royale map. They will remaster MW2, hopefully the campaign, multiplayer with all dlc and the spec ops. After cod4 fiasco that's slightly wishful thinking. I'd hope MW4 would have it's own campaign and spec ops mode too but again expecting all that is wishful thinking.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Oh but you forgot the Suicide Javelin.
Man that was insane. You were the most dangerous suicide bomber on the planet. I remember we had a full team doing this long before it was widely known. On terminal you'd be getting triple and quad kills no problem. It was insane and so much fun.

Don't forget the care package airdrop glitch where you could keep throwing the 4 care package airdrop over and over again. There would be like 5 care packages lying around for your team mates to pick up. Non stop reign of terror on the other team.

Any of you remember RSPproductionz on YouTube? Their daily glitch updates were awesome. Doing an elevator glitch on Karachi and putting a sentry gunner pointing right at their spawn.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Howso? Infinite Warfare is the sister game to Titanfall 2, which is also one of the best FPS games of the past decade. Its writing by Brian Bloom -- who also stars in the game -- is particularly outstanding. It gracefully captures the spirit of courage and comradeship that defines so much great space opera. And mechanically it's an incredibly tight game that balances combat, stealth, and dog-fighting to create a package which provides a revolving door of variety, and doesn't wear out its welcome. It also introduces some pretty cool experimental gameplay elements such as limb damage and non-regenerating health. It also moves away from the linear narrative of previous Call of Duty games by letting you choose which side missions you want to complete in any order you want.

Squadron 42 may prove to be better than Infinite Warfare, but considering Squadron 42 is a long way from release, Infinite Warfare remains on top. It's a stellar game that proves beyond a doubt the new Infinity Ward are among the best studios working in the industry. (It doesn't hurt that a selection of former Naughty Dog developers including the lead developer of The Last of Us was in charge of it.)

There's a reason Infinite Warfare's campaign attracted so much praise from reviewers.
Titanfall 2 was by every metric a better game than Infinite Warfare. It's not my place to say you're wrong in your opinions on the campaign, I personally found it to be interesting but in no way innovative. Black Ops 2 featured selectible side missions long before IW did and those missions had win/loss and ignore ramifications on the campaign's multiple endings. (And mixed vehicle play in COD campaigns has been a staple for over a decade)

My main issue with IW was the lackluster MP component that was overshadowed not only by Titanfall 2 but by most other CODs as of that time.

IW is the definition of lackluster.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Titanfall 2 was by every metric a better game than Infinite Warfare. It's not my place to say you're wrong in your opinions on the campaign, I personally found it to be interesting but in no way innovative. Black Ops 2 featured selectible side missions long before IW did and those missions had win/loss and ignore ramifications on the campaign's multiple endings. (And mixed vehicle play in COD campaigns has been a staple for over a decade)

My main issue with IW was the lackluster MP component that was overshadowed not only by Titanfall 2 but by most other CODs as of that time.

Titanfall 2 for me is not necessarily a better game than infinite warfare. It had more innovative gameplay than infinite warfare bit as a package it was worse. I really enjoyed Titanfall 2 but the story in the campaign was straight trash. I also really dislike the art design and the visuals in general. The multiplayer, while better than iw is extremely generic to me. They're games that do different things better but your claim that Titanfall 2 is better by every metric is nothing more than an opinion. It's not a factual statement and there's no evidence to support that claim.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

Titanfall 2 is leagues ahead of IW in pretty much every way. Just looking at controls and movement options alone and it's really not even close.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
What ass did you pull this out of?
It broken in a mostly good way, but it's definitely broken and really unbalanced. But they fixed some of the major game breaking stuff I think, like the Javelin glitch and Care Package glitch. I'm not sure if they fixed all the out of map glitches, but I think most were fixed before the big split happened.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Man that was insane. You were the most dangerous suicide bomber on the planet. I remember we had a full team doing this long before it was widely known. On terminal you'd be getting triple and quad kills no problem. It was insane and so much fun.

Don't forget the care package airdrop glitch where you could keep throwing the 4 care package airdrop over and over again. There would be like 5 care packages lying around for your team mates to pick up. Non stop reign of terror on the other team.

Any of you remember RSPproductionz on YouTube? Their daily glitch updates were awesome. Doing an elevator glitch on Karachi and putting a sentry gunner pointing right at their spawn.
This was the kind of stuff fun for glitchers and griefers but made the game miserable for most actual players. This abuse (and the shitty code that allowed it) is what destroyed the older communities.

And that's a shame.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
This was the kind of stuff fun for glitchers and griefers but made the game miserable for most actual players. This abuse (and the shitty code that allowed it) is what destroyed the older communities.

And that's a shame.
I'd argue the developers inability to patch it quickly was the main issue. That javelin glitch was on YouTube over a month before it went mainstream yet nobody bothered to patch it because it wasn't a game wide issue. They only took note when it was and started working on a patch then which took another few weeks. Activision were probably too busy counting their money from it's insane sales to care.

IMO the old communities from mw2, cod4 etc died when they changed the cod formula from what us old-school fans loved.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue the developers inability to patch it quickly was the main issue. That javelin glitch was on YouTube over a month before it went mainstream yet nobody bothered to patch it because it wasn't a game wide issue. They only took note when it was and started working on a patch then which took another few weeks. Activision were probably too busy counting their money from it's insane sales to care.

IMO the old communities from mw2, cod4 etc died when they changed the cod formula from what us old-school fans loved.
That's like saying the cops not being able to stop crimes fast enough are to blame for crimes. No, people looking to shit on other people for giggles or gain are the problem.

I was there at the time and it wasn't changes happening years later that destroyed those communities. It was a minority of players ruining the experience for the majority of the community then and there that did it.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's like saying the cops not being able to stop crimes fast enough are to blame for crimes. No, people looking to shit on other people for giggles or gain are the problem.

I was there at the time and it wasn't changes happening years later that destroyed those communities. It was a minority of players ruining the experience for the majority of the community then and there that did it.
From my experience it wasn't a minority and the vast majority of people I met found some of the glitches funny.

The severs getting hacked by players with God mode and auto aim etc had a much bigger effect let's be honest. At least a javelin or care package glitch only lasted a few weeks or months and anyone could do it. But if you were in a server with a hacker you were literally fucked.

And a game ruined with glitches/hacks is the fault of the game developer/console manufacturers. It's an easy cop out to blame the players.

To use your thought process, yes if my local cops didn't do their job my town would be hell on earth with a lot more people breaking the law. It's their responsibility to enforce law and order.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

IW is the most refined and diverse advanced movement CoD and I will defend it in nearly every aspect, even the variants.

Advanced Warfare was messy fun, and Black Ops III is in my top 5 favorite Call of Duties, but Infinite Warfare remains top dog of the lot to me.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I want MW2 so bad, but after what they did to MW, I am hesitant. Also, maybe the game is better left in the past.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I don't get the issue people have with the idea of added content for MW2R. I get it with MWR, because people are ridiculously precious about that game's crummy balance, and the map pack business was pretty slimy--I won't defend that--but like... every gun is already viable in Modern Warfare 2. Are you afraid that they'll release a weapon that somehow out-viables the rest? And if such an event occurs, are you worried that the development team wouldn't balance said new additions through patches as they did with the new weapons in MWR if anyone cared to pay attention?

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah Suicide Javelin was nuts and the unlimited care package or emergency airdrop glitch was great too. MW2 online was non-stop chaos, I still play from time to time.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black Ops 2 featured selectible side missions long before IW did and those missions had win/loss and ignore ramifications on the campaign's multiple endings. (And mixed vehicle play in COD campaigns has been a staple for over a decade)
Black Ops 2's side missions are nothing like Infinite Warfare's. In Black Ops 2, you have optional side missions where you fight waves of enemies. They're like the N7 missions from Mass Effect 3. Also, you had no choice but to do them in the order they were presented to you, otherwise bad things would happen. In Infinite Warfare, you can walk around your ship, go to the planning table, and choose which mission you want to do next from an assortment of side missions. These are full fledged, story-driven missions. It's a shift towards non-linear storytelling. The story in Black Ops 2 was strictly linear. Branching, but linear.

Infinite Warfare is basically a Wing Commander spiritual successor mixed with ideas from games like Mass Effect. It's a different creature to most of the other Call of Duty titles. There are entire missions in Infinite Warfare where you don't leave the Jackal.
The MP could be a non-functional raging dumpster fire, and Infinite Warfare would still be an exceptional game. Most of the Wing Commander games didn't even have multiplayer. It's like looking at Squadron 42, and judging it based on Star Citizen. So what if Star Citizen turns into completely dysfunctional borderline vaporware? It doesn't really have any bearing on the singleplayer.
Titanfall 2 is leagues ahead of IW in pretty much every way. Just looking at controls and movement options alone and it's really not even close.
I'd argue stealth is way worse in Titanfall 2. In Infinite Warfare, stealth is a core and viable gameplay mechanic. There are missions where using stealth and taking out enemies silently really matters. In Titanfall 2, stealth just exists so you can flank enemies. Also, Titanfall 2's pacing is thrown off by the tiny levels connected by load breaks.

Wheras Infinite Warfare's on foot and Jackal gameplay is distinctly different, Titanfall 2's mech gameplay is not that different to on-foot gameplay. It's just louder and less subtle.

In terms of gameplay, they're kinda chalk and cheese. Also, Infinite Warfare is a Wing Commander-inspired game. Titanfall 2 is barely even space opera. They share narrative themes, including a focus on a likeable robot buddy, and they're obviously sister games in many aspects, but they are different. Not that this makes Titanfall 2 a bad game (in fact, it's a damn good game), but I think Infinite Warfare is much stronger overall. It has strong narrative, strong gameplay, stroy mission design. Titanfall 2's narrative is probably the weakest thing Jesse Stern was ever penned, with the only real highlight being BT.

I get the feeling you'd look at Squadron 42 and also say that Titanfall 2 is leagues ahead of Squadron 42 because Squadron 42 is about dog-fighting and on-foot stealth/shooting hybrid gameplay.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it has to do with how they kinda bungled the execution. Lootbox and other changes aside which angered a lot of people, there was a huge issue: player fragmentation. They launched two concurrent multiplayer COD games at the same time by putting Infinite Warfare and Modern Warfare Remastered together, all while the then biggest COD of the generation Black Ops 3 was still going strong and getting support by Treyarch. This meant that a lot of people picked up the special edition of Infinite Warfare but jumped straight to Modern Warfare, many others didn't bother and stuck with Black Ops 3, others stayed on Infinite Warfare but the numbers there were pretty low from the start. Plus, given how all three games had their paid maps, the playerbase was fragmentated to way too many pieces.

Black Ops 4 managed to find the series' mojo back, there is once again a lot of interest in it thanks to a solid and rather inventive multiplayer, and most importantly thanks to Blackout finding a lot of ground among streamers and BR-players. It would make sense to launch a MW2 Remaster this year for many reasons (10th anniversary, Infinity Ward game, last IW game kinda flopped so it would again raise the game's value, etc.), but they have to be extremely careful not to kill the momentum they've got going with BO4 and Blackout especially. Were they to launch 2 campaigns, 2 multiplayer segments, a new BR game that concurs with Blackout... it would probably be a bad, bad idea right now, and could make the series lose a lot of steam again. With a yearly COD release, it's insanely difficult to convince people to invest in yet another title with how much content the main game chugs out in those packed 12 months. Even FIFA dropped the idea of selling separate World Cup/Euros games because people are already invested enough in the main titles.

They are probably not wanting to rush out these remasters, keeping them for when shit's not going good and they'll hardly want to cannibalize their own sales by doing so. A solution to this could remastering the campaign only for now, and then have the multiplayer sold for like 15-20 bucks 6 months after the next COD's launch, in order to not kill the game's population too much. But this is Activision we're talking about and I honestly doubt they'd sell it that low.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah Suicide Javelin was nuts and the unlimited care package or emergency airdrop glitch was great too. MW2 online was non-stop chaos, I still play from time to time.
I have it sitting on my ps3 but I don't want to play it incase they announce a remaster. I'd rather save myself for that.

Do you remember when they finally patched the elevator glitches people could still do them if they did a glitch that involved buying resistance fall of man and doing some crazy fuckery where you swapped the discs. You could only play with people online who had done the same but there was a small hardcore community of glitchers who'd do it so they could keep playing and glitching together online.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

The modern warefare series went downhill from a campaign standpoint after the first game anyways, so even the point of remastering for other games for that reason is pointless. Nostalgia for the AAA game industry of the annualized hell that was the 7th gen is definitely not something i have
DLC was added post launch, and dlc is a choice. Doesn't effect the minute to minute gameplay. Haven't played it in a while but what pay to win dlc did they add?

Also no, mw2 campaign was fantastic, better than 4 even. And Mw3 is still bombastic with well made set pieces

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be more interested in CoD 1 and United Offensive remake. But the way things are at Activision, it's better if they don't.