• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A noticeably higher Metacritic score (by 5 points), higher user ratings (a 93 in steam user reviews) and seemingly very good sales. It had a decent reception when it was released first on consoles, but it's been better accepted on the pc platform.

Is it just how seemingly amazing the port is? Or is there something else; like the genre is more digestible on a certain platform then an another?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
now people know what to expect from the game, the mystery is gone, therefore, the frustrations of the game not managing expectations.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
now people know what to expect from the game, the mystery is gone, therefore, the frustrations of the game not managing expectations.

Pretty much. The game was an unknown quantity when it came out on PS4. By now the people who are playing it know what to expect and won't feel as let down.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People knew what they were getting into with the PC version. People who didn't want the game, didn't buy it. There's plenty of resources out there, now, to make an informed purchase.

At console launch, this game was a mystery.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because this is Kojima Pro's original vision and ultrawide format feels like watching a movie at the cinema

May 17, 2019
PC players are more used to indie games that try to do something different. However, their inability to tell what good writing is remains the same as console players.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC tends to receive weird ideas generally better. Euro Truck Simulator is huge on PC. I think on consoles, it would have died a swift death.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017
People are finally judging it for what it is instead of what they wanted it to be.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Games involving planning and management have always had a big audience on PC. Besides people know going in this time what to expect.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Like previously mentioned, with the mystery and expectations in check. People know now you're playing an open world FedEx simulator.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
People seem to forget that a lot of sim/management/simulators exist and are successful because there's a hardcore audience buying these games on PC.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People know what they're going into with the game now, and simulator's are pretty popular on PC.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Managed expectations.

I will reckoned most pc ppl that bought D's would have known what type of game they are getting..

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We like delivery games :v
4dd52a343add0f3dbcd9dd783aa40d2f.jpg

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
PC gamers are more used to and accepting of new genres and experimentation in games, with Steam's Early Access and having access to WIP games in general.

Also the people buying Death Stranding at this point would most likely know what they're getting into.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I think both the answers in this thread are true. People know better what to expect so the TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION fans aren't polluting the conversation, and in general PC gaming is much more open to unconventional/subversive/patient game design

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped my playthrough on PS4 for a while and am wondering if I should just restart on PC. I wonder what the world looks like on PS4 now. I liked those early days when things were still being built and there was a more frontier vibe to it all.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has far less reviews on meta than the PS4 version.

Steam users are probably being positive about it to encourage future console ports.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what happens when you keep so much secrecy about your project. People start imagining things and get disappointed when expectations are not met.
Case in point: TLOU part 2.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony didn't show anything about Death Stranding until two months before release and many people expected this to be MGS6 in terms of gameplay before release.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I think both the answers in this thread are true. People know better what to expect so the TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION fans aren't polluting the conversation, and in general PC gaming is much more open to unconventional/subversive/patient game design
this is the correct answer, its a combination of the two
It has far less reviews on meta than the PS4 version.

Steam users are probably being positive about it to encourage future console ports.
this is a weird conspiracy

Jun 26, 2018
I stopped my playthrough on PS4 for a while and am wondering if I should just restart on PC. I wonder what the world looks like on PS4 now. I liked those early days when things were still being built and there was a more frontier vibe to it all.

I think regardless of when you play, you'll always get somewhat of a feeling of the world being built alongside your progress, at least that's how I've understood the system to work.

I at least remember a Kojima quote alluding to something like that pre-PS4 release.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think regardless of when you play, you'll always get somewhat of a feeling of the world being built alongside your progress, at least that's how I've understood the system to work.

I at least remember a Kojima quote alluding to something like that pre-PS4 release.

Oh, that's interesting. I'll look into that since I'd rather not lose the few hours I've put in already.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
94% positive now. It's both of the above, there's less confusion, and PC is more open-minded about this sort of thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Because they already know how the game plays unlike PS4 owners when it came out? Less people who weren't into it bought it and rated it

Seems like the apparent reason

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The hype and hate died down. People are less blindsided by what the game actually is. I finished it last night/this morning. I really enjoyed it. It wouldn't have won my game of the year, but it's a very good game.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's exactly this. I was intrigued but didn't know what I was getting into, then ended up bouncing off hard in the 3rd act because it was not in any way enjoyable for me. No reason to be in that situation buying blind and being disappointed with the PC release once all the info is out there.

Because this is Kojima Pro's original vision and ultrawide format feels like watching a movie at the cinema
lol, sure. Everyone's playing in ultrawide and it all just clicks now.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's a combination of:

- More niche and unique experiences are generally better recieved by PC players
- People now already have a clear idea of the gameplay loop and aren't expecting the game to suddenly turn into MGS6
- Covid has made the game more relatable

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Trucking sims have an audience on PC. I've put hundreds of hours into Elite Dangerous for example.