• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In game. Only rendering a small area = Easy Peasy.

Map screen. Rendering the entire world = Super demanding.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I remember Crysis having this issue specifically, being the first time I'd ever actually run into the issue. The main menu would render in excess of 2000 fps, and would cause a VERY noticeable screeching from the GPU. Vsync obviously fixed it, but damn! 2000+ fps 😂

In game. Only rendering a small area = Easy Peasy.

Map screen. Rendering the entire world = Super demanding.
This guy has figured it out! 🙄

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I don't think this is an issue other than on console. If you're on PC and the fans ramp up and you're having temperature issues because of the framerates on the main menu of a game, you need to check your cooling. Never had any problems with this myself.
Run furmark with a temperature gauge. VRMs get toasty the more frames you put out. It's just GPUs are usually more adequately cooled/have quieter fans.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
My guess is that it's usually a bug, and as a former QA guy I can tell you right now that it'd honestly be one that's real hard to catch in the QA process. Would be nice if there was a cert check for it (on consoles at least, where cert exists) just to completely nip it in the bud.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a stupid problem that is so easily fixable.

The first time I encountered it this gen was with AC: Unity near launch. How is this STILL a thing?!

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
My reference 290x screams in agony. Some games I've just completely closed instead of pausing. This needs to be eradicated.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I have somehow never heard about this before, but it sounds like the stupidest design decision ever, lol. Just lock the framerate of the menus to the same rate as the gameplay.

Pretty much. It seems like it could also crash the game, albeit under specific circumstances, and that could be embarrassing for a dev/publisher.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On PC using RTSS I see frame rates going to the low 4000s in some menus, shit is crazy.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh was the first game that made me aware of this issue. There was an uncapped framerate on the blacksmith menu, and the flame animation really made the PS4 fan go nuts. I always had to make sure to get in, do what I needed, and get back out of that screen as quickly as possible.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least the devs of Breath of the Wild didn't do this, considering the speed at which you navigate the menus is determined by the framerate.

Didn't a current gen CoD also have an unlocked framerate on PS4, which caused the game to be less stable on PS4?
CoD menus on PS4 must be unlocked also as they make the PS4 spin up loud.

WW2 would cause my PS4 Pro to spin up randomly during map loading screens or in the game itself.

My Pro has the quieter fan also

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Faster and more responsive menus while the game isn't stressing the GPU seems like a good thing.
I didn't notice any additional noise in the menus on the PS4 first party games mentioned here. Although my base PS4 was pretty loud all the time, especially when playing those games.

In general I'd say it's an intentional decision to make menus more responsive. Not the devs forgetting to cap the framerate.

Nope.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Developers aren't setting frame limits and as a result games are basically stress testing hardware.
The first time I noticed it happen was back when crysis launched and menu frame rates would sky rocket into the hundreds causing video cards to buzz from power spikes. It was patched pretty quickly but it killed a few cards.
Why it's a problem this generation I don't know. Not all games have the issue so I can only assume the dev unit doesn't have an easy option to set it and certain devs don't take the time to do so manually.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Noob question! I've got a gaming laptop, and I've turned vsync on to stop games shortening my gpu's life. Do I need this rtss software you guys mention or not?

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Can anyone explain why i only notice it on my PS4 and not on my PC or Xbox? Is it just because the PS4 has worse cooling or what? It's a slim version i own btw.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Uncharted 4 / Lost Legacy multiplayer lobby. Its so annyoing and could be fixed with a simple adjustment. 60FPS in the menus is more than enough. Assassins Creed Unity used to have this problem as well and locked the FPS on the start menu.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Noob question! I've got a gaming laptop, and I've turned vsync on to stop games shortening my gpu's life. Do I need this rtss software you guys mention or not?
If V-Sync is on you don't have to cap the framerate, since V-Sync already does this.

You can use RTSS for other benefits though, such as better frame-pacing in certain games!

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have never noticed it, don't most console games use V-sync? I guess some demanding X360 games didn't like Blue Dragon. To not use a simple limiter is weird though.

Thankfully on PC we can simply use the limiter of your GPU vendor, in my case I use Radeon Chill.

OP
OP
chaosaeon

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted 4 / Lost Legacy multiplayer lobby. Its so annyoing and could be fixed with a simple adjustment. 60FPS in the menus is more than enough.
Yeah I remember playing UC4 MP and sitting in the lobby sounded like someone was using a hair dryer.

How are AAA games and big name developers the ones having this happen most often ? With all the time, money and huge dev teams you'd think they'd be least likely to have it, and would patch it really quickly. Reading some of the replies sounds like there really is no benefit or reason for it.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Yeah I remember playing UC4 MP and sitting in the lobby sounded like someone was using a hair dryer.

How are AAA games and big name developers the ones having this happen most often ? With all the time, money and huge dev teams you'd think they'd be least likely to have it, and would patch it really quickly. Reading some of the replies sounds like there really is no benefit or reason for it.
Yeah I mean dont QA and the devs notice the jets in their studios ??? Glady I use a headset otherwise it would suck a lot. My new Ps4 pro is relatively quite so far. Let's see how long it stays that way lol.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like something that should be called out at/fail cert.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Yeah I mean dont QA and the devs notice the jets in their studios ??? Glady I use a headset otherwise it would suck a lot. My new Ps4 pro is relatively quite so far. Let's see how long it stays that way lol.
Some studios just don't care. It's being noticed but other things are more important so more often than not it just slips through from my experience. I forgot on how many occasions it was actually addressed after being reported, since not every console turns into jet engine mode.
It also seems like it's being constantly overlooked when in reality it's being addressed but you won't noticed because in the retail versions the main menu won't make your console or PC take off, when that was the case in earlier builds. Games which don't have any sort of "taxing" menus or maps (due to unlocked frame rates or fancy background particle / smoke effects) are still the majority after all.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Devs work with kits that have awesome cooling systems in offices with air conditioning that drowns out any system noise.

also lol at easy fix all you armchair devs