• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Man, people find the strangest shit to complain about lol.

It's an SSD, it is already going to be faster than the standard drives that were in current gen, we have years of evidence proving this. Sony says they have a super fast proprietary SSD in the PS5 that the system is designed around so even without seeing it I can assume it will be at least as fast as current SSD tech, and if it's a bunch faster, great!

I literally JUST put an SSD in my PS4 Pro yesterday and I am seeing loading times and transitions cut in half or better, and that is with a mid-line SSD not some super new tech one. So if that is happening on THIS gen, it can only be smoother on next.

Calm down ;P

Oct 30, 2017
SerpentineHandsomeHoneyeater-size_restricted.gif

?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
In all honesty I think they've spoken enough about the SSD. Would I like more vids to show it launch a game from startup and the like? Yes but we've already seen a few great things in action from it already. Now the UI, BC, other unknown features, these are what I'd prefer them to move on to now.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they show it off tons? Like, it was the core central message of the first half of the console's marketing I thought.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Well yes you just said it all. We dont know how good it actually is for most things which makes me think maybe its not as good as we might be assuming.
I understand. I just mean that if Sony hasnt claimed how fast the PS5 SSD really is (as in more specific terms), i dont think that they have anything to hide in that regards, so i was just curious about what they would hide (like going back on any promised that they've made, for example) and what a potentially catch would be :)

But i do understand what you mean in terms of expectations VS what the actual loading times will be, and i think that is a fair question, eventhough i dont think theres any specific catch or that Sony is trying to hide anything. One could also say that Sony has set some expectation based on what they've said, but if they havnt claimed anything more in specific, its more of a subjective thing how people interpreteds that and what they expect.

Do you have any specific expecation around the loading times by the way? Like if a game loads in ~30 seconds on a PS4, do you have any expectations what the loading time will be on a PS5 on a similar type of game?

Personally, i think the Ratchet & Clank and Demon's Souls demo give some good indication what to expect in terms of loading, eventhough that it doesnt show how the loading will be in every case of course. But as mentioned, i wouldnt mind seeing more examples of loading myself, just to see how fast it is :)

Last edited:

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
It's because it's made of cheese, and you can only run it for about 5 minutes before it melts and bricks you console. You caught them. Well done.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Making games takes time. We're still in the cross-gen period, and truly leveraging every feature or bit of power from a console always takes time. Patience!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One game that they could show which would be helpful is the outer worlds. It also came out on the ps4. We can use that video with the one that Xbox made for series s. To compare the loading times.
Yeah, lots of BC games to compare, will be fascinating.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
Because outside of a few 1st party titles that are taking advantage of the hardware directly with their own engines, most developers will be waiting for UE5 and other next gen engines to leverage the full capabilities of the SSD.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Almost all the games coming out right now still account for current-gen consoles.

Other than R&C and Demon's Souls are you're gonna see are current-gen games with their loading screens cut to a fraction of their former length.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
We've had the gameplay from multiple games shown, including a loading screen comparison from Demon's Souls, and warp ins of multiple simultaneous worlds in R&C. We've had two separate Spider-Man tests, the one in Japan that's already been posted and the one Cerny did for Wired last year when the console was announced. We've had Epic's Unreal presentation, with their tech demo streaming in miles of terrain in less than a second.

If we are just going to discount all of those examples as somehow shady, then what can Sony show you that you actually *will* believe, OP? It looks to me like you just want to be suspicious. I guess all I can say is to wait for Digital Foundry or others to test it out in a few months (unless they're in on it, too?!!!!!!!!)

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
Showing off an ssd is not as easy as showing a video of the console pushing tons of poligons.
They have talked about it, the speed and priority tiers, showed games with low loading times... They didn't show a benchmark explicitly but thew demoed the ssd advantages in many other ways.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit weird that they're not showing a comparison of the ps4 and the ps5 loading

Maybe the don't want the ps4 version of spiderman look bad?

Jan 21, 2019
It's a bit weird that they're not showing a comparison of the ps4 and the ps5 loading

To be honest, I miss a lot of "this is how great next-gen is gonna be" videos and showcases. The closer we get to the launch the less excited their launch period gets, which is weird. I wanna see arm hair and fish that move out of the way.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018

Yeah but if they did thay someone somewhere would find a tiny asset that appears to be on the PS4 version and not the 5 and we would have a thread on that instead lol but in all seriousness we still got quite a bit of time till launch and its an SSD. It doesn't work on magic, no secret sauce needed.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
This new super state drive that is apparently the big thing in the PS5 that makes it really "next gen" and its like...they have barely showed it to us. I guess we saw a little bit of how it works in the Ratchet gameplay but they really didnt mention it much. It makes me think that there hiding something and its not as good as they say it is, or that theres just some kind of catch. Why are they being so quiet about this?

You could be on to something here, OP! Just like MS with Kinect 2.0, amazing piece of hardware which devs never exploited. Who knows, maybe SSD faces the very same fate?!

I'm just asking questions!!!!1!

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
They demonstrated it in NG only games, and they aren't much. UE5 demo too.
That's pretty simple to understand...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I miss a lot of "this is how great next-gen is gonna be" videos and showcases. The closer we get to the launch the less excited their launch period gets, which is weird. I wanna see arm hair and fish that move out of the way.
Yeah, even third party devs aren't doing it which is weird. Show me that added ray tracing in Call of duty

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
The load speeds are impressive but let's be real, it's not going to be some miracle machine. It's just a new nicety for consoles that have been held back by HDDs for a decade.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the SSD is just like one of those Chinese knockoffs you get on eBay which is just an SD card with a giant bolt glued in for weight.

OP
OP
Shining Star

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I understand. I just mean that if Sony hasnt claimed how fast the PS5 SSD really is (as in more specific terms), i dont think that they have anything to hide in that regards, so i was just curious about what they would hide (like going back on any promised that they've made, for example) and what a potentially catch would be :)

But i do understand what you mean in terms of expectations VS what the actual loading times will be, and i think that is a fair question, eventhough i dont think theres any specific catch or that Sony is trying to hide anything. One could also say that Sony has set some expectation based on what they've said, but if they havnt claimed anything more in specific, its more of a subjective thing how people interpreteds that and what they expect.

Do you have any specific expecation around the loading times by the way? Like if a game loads in ~30 seconds on a PS4, do you have any expectations what the loading time will be on a PS5 on a similar type of game?

Personally, i think the Ratchet & Clank and Demon's Souls demo give some good indication what to expect in terms of loading, eventhough that it doesnt show how the loading will be in every case of course. But as mentioned, i wouldnt mind seeing more examples of loading myself, just to see how fast it is :)

If its 30 seconds on PS4 I guess it would have to be like nothing on the PS5 or maybe just one second based on how they talk about it. I think its fair to say that if its not like that most people will be disappointed in it.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
There's not much to show. It loads fast, that's it.

For example, Demon's Souls showed in it the latest trailer, too. A 10 secs loading on the original turned into no loading at all.

This is it. There is nothing more to add. From a hardware and software perspective, this is literally it.

The ridiculous hype these past few months surrounding the SSD, that it does way more than what it actually does has gotten out of hand.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If its 30 seconds on PS4 I guess it would have to be like nothing on the PS5 or maybe just one second based on how they talk about it. I think its fair to say that if its not like that most people will be disappointed in it.
Its not goin to be that fast on last gen games running in BC. We've known this since March.

XjapNIj.jpg

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It seems u r looking for things to complain about the way u wrote that sentence.

They have already showed demon souls and ratchet clank and spiderman and kena dev said it takes 2 second for cold boot from os. What else u want? Our only point of comparison is the other console with ssd. This is already extremely impressive compared to what we saw from xss 12.9 second to boot up outer world for current gen game

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's not much to show. It loads fast, that's it.

For example, Demon's Souls showed in it the latest trailer, too. A 10 secs loading on the original turned into no loading at all.

Basically this. The "gameplay" enabled by SSD is pretty much perfectly captured by Ratchet imo. "What would you do if you had no load times?" Well beyond switching levels quickly, I don't think there is much. But hey, maybe a dev will come along and prove me wrong.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Basically this. The "gameplay" enabled by SSD is pretty much perfectly captured by Ratchet imo. "What would you do if you had no load times?" Well beyond switching levels quickly, I don't think there is much. But hey, maybe a dev will come along and prove me wrong.

i am sure there are some devs with much more creative minds than yours that will show you the advantages at some point.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
There will be next-gen examples of what can be achieved with a SSD and especially the one in the PS5.

Ratchet is a first example.

But there will be even better examples in the future.

But devs need to learn to work with it. It takes times to adapt.
PS4 HDD to PS5 SSD is probably the biggest jump ever in gamin (>100x times faster).

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for RE8 to do some really funky shit with that.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i am sure there are some devs with much more creative minds than yours that will show you the advantages at some point.

I look forwards to it! Just because I don't see the potential doesn't mean others won't find a way to make lack of loading somehow a gameplay feature, just like Insomniac did.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does things faster than before, that shit isn't exciting for the people that would buy it, no matter what it's going to sell and might as well just do it with games

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Understood. Personally, i dont really know exactly what to expect when it comes to the loading times to be honest. It will probably variate from game to game, and also how the game has been optimized in terms on how the data is being loaded/streamed. I still expect to see 5-10 second loading times in certain cases, which would still be a very nice improvement from this generation.

There is a load time video from the Xbox Seris S showing The Outer Worlds loading, and it has Xbox One S at about 53 seconds, and the Xbox Series S at about 11 seconds. I know that the PS5 is suppose to be noticeably faster than the XSX/XSS in terms of the SSD though, but seeing a 11 second loading time on the XSS, that makes me believe that we will still loading on the PS5 as well. It could also be that this is also just showing backward compability loading (i dont think that a port of The Outer World is announce for XSX/XSS and PS5?), which might affect the loading as well.

On this topic, thinking about it, we havnt really seen much loading demos from Microsoft either. I think both Microsoft and Sony hasnt that much to show yet that specifically highlight the loading yet. But theres still about 2 months until the systems come out, so i'm expecting to see more examples before launch at least =)

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I look forwards to it! Just because I don't see the potential doesn't mean others won't find a way to make lack of loading somehow a gameplay feature, just like Insomniac did.
a lot of it has to do with ease of development as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the biggest benefits of ssd are QOL changes for devs that we'll never see.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well yes you just said it all. We dont know how good it actually is for most things which makes me think maybe its not as good as we might be assuming.
Xbox has 12 TF and we don't know how good it actually is despite from the hard facts from the damn actual hardware they built! They must be hiding something!

Seriously what is this.

OP
OP
Shining Star

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Understood. Personally, i dont really know exactly what to expect when it comes to the loading times to be honest. It will probably variate from game to game, and also how the game has been optimized in terms on how the data is being loaded/streamed. I still expect to see 5-10 second loading times in certain cases, which would still be a very nice improvement from this generation.

There is a load time video from the Xbox Seris S showing The Outer Worlds loading, and it has Xbox One S at about 53 seconds, and the Xbox Series S at about 11 seconds. I know that the PS5 is suppose to be noticeably faster than the XSX/XSS in terms of the SSD though, but seeing a 11 second loading time on the XSS, that makes me believe that we will still loading on the PS5 as well. It could also be that this is also just showing backward compability loading (i dont think that a port of The Outer World is announce for XSX/XSS and PS5?), which might affect the loading as well.

On this topic, thinking about it, we havnt really seen much loading demos from Microsoft either. I think both Microsoft and Sony hasnt that much to show yet that specifically highlight the loading yet. But theres still about 2 months until the systems come out, so i'm expecting to see more examples before launch at least =)

Well it's good that its a lot less. You cant really tell with an old game tho since its not made for the new ones. I dont know what Microsoft has showed but yeah hopefully they do sometime soon, two months is not a long time.

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I just want to see a teardown and for them to show us how to Install 3rd party nvme drives.
Also what specs/size the drives need to be for Sonys approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.