• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
This new super state drive that is apparently the big thing in the PS5 that makes it really "next gen" and its like...they have barely showed it to us. I guess we saw a little bit of how it works in the Ratchet gameplay but they really didnt mention it much. It makes me think that there hiding something and its not as good as they say it is, or that theres just some kind of catch. Why are they being so quiet about this?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Sony marketing right now is "we'll do it when we feel like it". I hope we get more comparisons next month, but I'm not holding my breath.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's not really something the mass market cares about that much. Right now, they're focused on the big things--games and prices. That''s the top level marketing strategy. Branding as well--Sony Playstation is a mega brand.

Pre-orders sold out mega fast. There's clear demand.

Deep dive stuff like SSD and the OS stuff will be later. Even then it would be in more niche channels, not in major ad campaigns.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I feel like you've been willfully hiding your head in the sand. They've talked about how fast the PS5 is and loading times more than anything.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There's not much to show. It loads fast, that's it.

For example, Demon's Souls showed in it the latest trailer, too. A 10 secs loading on the original turned into no loading at all.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
... they aren't being quiet about it all?

They had a fair Chunk of that GDC session where they went in to quite some detail.

They showed us some games that use it to their advantage like rachet and clank.

The trouble I think is, there's only so many ways you can make audiovisual representations of "no loading screen!" that interesting for trailers.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
It's because the SSD's main advantage is to change the way that games are designed. It's not really something that's going to be obvious to players outside of loading times so it's just not something that you want to center your marketing around. it's the same reason why you don't see a lot of talk about improvements to development pipelines - these are huge deals to developers but it's not something that you can really sell to consumers.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke? They mention it in every bit of PR and every snippet of developer praise on the blog.

Is this because they haven't released a quick-resume promo video like MS has?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
... they aren't being quiet about it all?

They had a fair Chunk of that GDC session where they went in to quite some detail.

They showed us some games that use it to their advantage like rachet and clank.

The trouble I think is, there's only so many ways you can make audiovisual representations of "no loading screen!" that interesting for trailers.
I think the OP wanted it in the bigger showcases, not some niche GDC talk.

But again, load times will never make any mass market campaign. That's for the hardcores and the info is already out there.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, just in time for today's gaming conspiracy theory. Honestly don't see how yall aren't sick of reading/making these threads yet. This goes for either company.

We saw the Xbox SSD at work in The Medium. We've seen the PS5 SSD at work in Rachet, and Demon Souls.

Thats how its going to work. Shit is going to load faster. Like really fucking fast. There's gonna be more shit on your screen at a given moment. Like a lot more shit. Environments will be more destructible because the games will be able to load shit way fucking faster.

OP
OP
Shining Star

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
It's not really something the mass market cares about that much. Right now, they're focused on the big things--games and prices. That''s the top level marketing strategy. Branding as well--Sony Playstation is a mega brand.

Pre-orders sold out mega fast. There's clear demand.

Deep dive stuff like SSD and the OS stuff will be later. Even then it would be in more niche channels, not in major ad campaigns.

Yeah but its all they talk about in every interview.

I feel like you've been willfully hiding your head in the sand. They've talked about how fast the PS5 is and loading times more than anything.

They talk about it a bunch! But we havent seen a game load yet.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
We had the Spiderman demo, the R&C dimension switching, and the general "load times are fast" like you see in Demon's Souls...

Showing off what it is going to do to overall game design is going to take longer because those types of games haven't been made yet/are in the process of being made.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
He's right.

In demon souls the load times took a full second !! Scam !!

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It goes too fast when you install Resident Evil 8 on it that it goes back in time and turns the console into a PS1. They're still trying to figure that out.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a lot of games utilize it yet. Also how UI works and how fast you will be able to get into a game will tell us more.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
The evidence of it's superiority are out there if you take the time to look.

As for the effect on game design itself, that will become more apparent the deeper into the generation we go.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
We just don't have as much information this time around as we normally do. I think not having hands-on impressions from the press has changed the amount of content we have to process on our end about the new consoles.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
More ?

I'm already tired of reading things about the SSD.....

More than that I want to see BC, UI etc.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
These lousy hot takes are loading into the forum faster and faster. It's like a new technology has been added that allows the hot takes to be posted instantly, with no delay!

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I think we will get more videos over the next two months demonstrating these things. But that being said you only have to watch the DS gameplay to see it in action.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
There's a gif floating round that shows the same transition between areas in Demon Souls, the PS5 takes less than a second (or something like that) and is loading far higher resolution textures than the PS3. That's a fairly compelling demonstration of the difference the SSD makes imo.

Edit: I see someone already posted it!

Status
Not open for further replies.