• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the ending theme.

Fun fact, Chrono team made Final Fantasy XI after Cross finished. You can see lots of echoes of Cross and even Trigger's designs

Masato Kato's original designs for the Mithra race and for Kam'lanaut look like his original designs for Ayla and Magus, lol

Final Fantasy XI:
gvybL0O.jpg

Chrono Trigger:
MJNLAgg.jpg

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
People are giving too little credit to Masaru Oyamada for the current Mana revival. He's the one who brought Mana back from the dead. He's the one who pushed for the remakes of SD1, SD2, SD3, and the Collection of Mana. He's the one pushing for Seiken Densetsu 5. He wasn't even an SE employee at first but he left Matrix Software to join SE just so he could work on Mana.

There is sadly no one at SE pushing for Chrono the way Oyamada is pushing for Mana.

It's good for Seiken Densetsu, I wonder if they will do Legend of Mana after the 3.
Who said there is no one pushing for Chrono internally? I want to believe there is at least someone who is doing that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they have the source code, but they still seem to print PS1 discs of Chrono Cross and sell them directly on their store and through Amazon, so it's not like they couldn't do something about re-releasing it.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross is one of the greatest rpgs ever made and anyone that thinks otherwise is a monster. I would do anything for a remaster of this game. Even just rerelease it for switch and PS4. Everyone needs a chance to play this masterpiece.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
They aren't printing them. These are remaining copies from years ago.

I can't back it with a source but I'm fairly certain they where reprinted. I think Square reprinted a few PS1 RPG's around the mid 2000's Cross, Parasite Eve and FF Tactics IIRC. I bought a sealed Greatest Hits copy from a blockbuster when they did it because it was only twenty bucks. I already had the black label version and GH version and I remember this new GH's version had something different about it/on it. Something on the back of the case or something can't remember.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can't back it with a source but I'm fairly certain they where reprinted. I think Square reprinted a few PS1 RPG's around the mid 2000's Cross, Parasite Eve and FF Tactics IIRC. I bought a sealed Greatest Hits copy from a blockbuster when they did it because it was only twenty bucks. I already had the black label version and GH version and I remember this new GH's version had something different about it/on it. Something on the back of the case or something can't remember.

I just recently bought a copy off Amazon and I can confirm it's a reprint because the box art and the discs have the Square Enix logo and not Squaresoft logo

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Ah, this brings back fond memories of the Unofficial Squaresoft Home Page forums circa 1997 and the same 4 or 5 people posting "Did the new Famitsu hit stands yet? Did Square announce Chrono Trigger 2 yet???" every fucking week.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
It was on PS3 as a Classic, but it gets a lot of unnecessary hate, so I dont expect anything.

One of my favorite songs of all time. Fight me IRL.

The best thing about Chrono Cross was the music and it's still IMO one of the best soundtracks of all time, not one of my favorite songs of all time but this is one of my favorites.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I was lucky enough to get the PS3 Classic version for less than a buck in a flash sale Sony did years ago. It's the only way to play CC for me, because I live in Europe and don't have a region-free PS1, only an US PSN account. I would love to see an official HD re-release on Switch or PS4, for sure. You shouldn't have so many hurdles to play such a good game - especially in regions where the original didn't even come out.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess would be because it might be stuck in licensing hell for the music and Square Enix doesn't deem the market large enough to put effort into reviving it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an exact refrence but I remember reading it did around a million awhile ago, but here's some sales data from 09 and comparing it to other square games that year. Looks like it did real well, considering the other releases.
https://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/21/what-square-enix-games-sold-well-last-year/
Yeah that's the figure I had in mind. It did 790,000 -- quite lower than 1 million, which I think is what Hashimoto was referring to...

Oh I know they were reprinted in the mid-2000s, which is the "years ago" period I was referring to. The other poster was saying that SE still reprint them in the present.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That doesn't invalidate what I said. There are cases of Square Enix games that may or may have not seen re-releases because of licensing issues with specific songs. I remember specifically Xenogears being one of said games because of its credits song and because Sony does not allow roms to be release on PSN if they have been altered. I'm not sure if those policies have changed since then or if the licensing terms have been renegotiated but there is a precedent for it.

If I am right and the issue is due to a music licensing issue, Mitsuda is most likely not the one impeding the re-release.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember specifically Xenogears being one of said games because of its credits song and because Sony does not allow roms to be release on PSN if they have been altered. I'm not sure if those policies have changed since then or if the licensing terms have been renegotiated but there is a precedent for it.

Huh, source?? Renegociated with whom? Square fully owns the credits song of Xenogears.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Square is sitting on some amazing properties. They should remake/remaster Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, etc. The only thing that makes sense is that Square must have written over the old source code or something

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
So what stops SE from reverse engineering the masters they have to get the source code?

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, source?? Renegociated with whom? Square fully owns the credits song of Xenogears.

There was a post about it on the Playstation blog that has now been buried in search results since it got release in the US PSN. I tried to find the post again but it's an 8+ years old post so it's not very easy to find.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cause it sucks :P

Snark aside, Square doesnt see a lot of value in the franchise as a whole. Porting some of the older PS1 games is not trivial work (and in the case of, say, Vagrant Story, incredibly difficult) so unless they had plans to revitalize the IP (like they've done with Mana or SaGa) theres no reason to invest talent, time and money into it.

Remember, big companies never do things just because they can, it has to be a -thing- otherwise its not worth it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a post about it on the Playstation blog that has now been buried in search results since it got release in the US PSN. I tried to find the post again but it's an 8+ years old post so it's not very easy to find.
I'm pretty sure you're misremembering, because Square fully owns the rights to Small Two of Pieces. It isn't a licenced track like FFXV's Stand By Me or anything.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that finished Chrono Trigger recently for the first time I'd be really into playing Chrono Cross. Unfortunately I don't have a PS3 or Vita (besides, I live in EU).

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
The story links with Trigger seem to genuinely offend some people, there's no point trying to understand it. I found it the superior game of the two personally
I remember back in my Gamefaqs days a certain user would write a long extensive wall of texts on how Chrono Cross isn't a true sequel to Chrono Trigger. As far as I remember the internet consensus was that of hatred. I didn't see the turn around in opinion about CC until after 2011.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking for a thread like this after listening to the game's soundtrack on Spotify today. Now I'm sad because the consensus seems to be that a remaster/remake will likely not happen. I'm one of those unlucky Europeans who never got to play the game :(

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking for a thread like this after listening to the game's soundtrack on Spotify today. Now I'm sad because the consensus seems to be that a remaster/remake will likely not happen. I'm one of those unlucky Europeans who never got to play the game :(

Just buy it on ebay, rip it and emulate it. That's what I did about 16 years ago or so.

I ended up thinking it sucked big time, but it's a pretty marmite game so you may enjoy it

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that bothers me most is Secret of Mana keeps on getting tons of attention(it being on the snes classic, getting a full remake, collection of mana, SD3 remake) where Chrono series just keeps getting the shaft. SOM is good but its a mess compared to CT and CC.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Wait, the Chrono Cross OST got added to Spotify and Apple Music? I must have missed that thread.