• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
...but we have had multiple updates to Skyrim? I know that Skyrim sold amazingly well and is still popular to this day, but I thought both Fallout games sold decently well too? Do I just live in a bubble, and Fallout isn't as popular as I thought?

Anyone else wish there was a current gen patch to both of these games?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Has Bethesda (Game Studios, not the publisher) done any remasters besides Skyrim?

Käebi

Mar 12, 2019
Probably too much work? The engine didn't age well, they would probably need to remake the whole game/engine at this point.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...but we have had multiple updates to Skyrim? I know that Skyrim sold amazingly well and is still popular to this day, but I thought both Fallout games sold decently well too? Do I just live in a bubble, and Fallout isn't as popular as I thought?

Anyone else wish there was a current gen patch to both of these games?
X360 port of Fallout 3 has been 4k enhanced and both Fallout 3 and New Vegas have been FPS boosted to 60fps.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
because remastering anything but skyrim is taking away resources from the skyrim remaster team

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim is an anomaly.

They haven't remastered Oblivion, Morrowind or Fallout 4 either (Fallout 4 is older than Skyrim was in 2015, so it applies here as well).

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
At the very least Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout NV are all enhanced experiences via BC

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Probably wouldn't justify the amount of work. Assets from 2008/2010 would probably need more than just a re-import into Fallout 4's engine. They're probably all hands on Starfield right now as well.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I couldn't fault the programmers at Bethesda for going on strike if they ever have to touch that codebase again

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently doing a Tale of Two Wastelands playthrough of F3 after playing F:NV earlier this year. F3 is particularly rough. A remaster would be way too much work and even when remastered on a technical level, you're left with a very inadequate game by today's standards.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Probably not a significant money-making opportunity, otherwise they'd probably have done it by now.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Rereleasing games to console which exist with massive modding communities on PC is not as easy as one may think.

There is also the fact that not every game needs a remaster.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 3 looked great on the One X and I'm pretty sure the Series X gets that benefit as well.

Could definitely use a remaster of New Vegas though, game is excellent.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Simple, they want to funnel people into Fallout 76 to get their fix which has the added benefit to them of having microtransactions.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Edit: Since I couldn't confirm the veracity of the information I had in this post, I decided to edit it all out to stay on the safer side. Happy trails!

Last edited:

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Yeah, there are a lot of games from Bethesda that I wish they remastered or remake it. Fallout: New Vegas needed a remastered that completely remade the combat (but the rest could stay the same) and a complete remake of TES: Morrowind.

I've seen it on gamepass. Maybe that's what I was misremembering

It's just the Xbox original version with some enhancements from the BC but not a remaster.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Fallout 3 and Oblivion are both 4K 60FPS on the Series X. Fallout: New Vegas is 60FPS but hasn't received a resolution boost.

Aside from the lack of mod support the games have basically been remastered already.

I've heard some stuff about Todd Howard actively avoiding mentioning New Vegas by name. If that's true, then Bethesda must be really salty about NV being so good even though they fucked Obsidian over.

Extra awkward now that the two studios are step brothers.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Good question. We know Skyrim is a consensus all time great in the eyes of the mass market and even bigger, hit a point that it was and is a part of pop culture few games ever reach...but you would think that would be more reason to at least re release Oblivion. Morrowind is probably too dated unfortunately...shame. it's world is unmatched.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it must not be an easy job but I can't believe they haven't been ported to Switch at least.

ehhsobee

Banned
Nov 11, 2019
United Kingdom
The answer is that they already have been remastered, thanks to the incredible back compat on Xbox and FPS boost. As someone who struggled their way through 3 and New Vegas on PC, playing them on Series X has been a dream. Sharp visuals, 60 FPS, instant loads and no crashes. I think they probably won't bother doing a proper remaster because the back compat does such a good job that whatever enhancements they make probably won't make it worth paying for instead of just playing the 360 ones.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Way more work. To make something like those Fallout games or Morrowind/Oblivion sellable to modern consumers, you'd basically need to rebuild them from scratch with all new assets. Skyrim looked good enough that upressing it, adding in some newer engine features, and cranking up to PC max settings was good enough for a remaster, but the same wouldn't fly for the other games - and besides, if you want something on that level, Xbox BC (4K 60fps for all but New Vegas, and even that is 60fps) and the PC versions are available.

Perhaps at some point doing a full on remake of morrowind with some more modern mechanics added in would be interesting, but would be a massive undertaking - a mod group has been trying to do it in Skyrim's engine basically since that game released, and are still only half done.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I've heard some stuff about Todd Howard actively avoiding mentioning New Vegas by name. If that's true, then Bethesda must be really salty about NV being so good even though they fucked Obsidian over.
That's BS. He mentioned it (and complimented it) as recently as last month during AMA.

As for the OP's question, Bethesda doesn't believe in remasters. Skyrim's special edition was created as a test of Fallout 4's 64 bit engine.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I just kind of imagined it would be considerable work to get them running better. Fallout 3 and New Vegas need to lots of community mods to run well even on powerful hardware.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im surprised they didn't try to get one out on the switch before being bought by Microsoft,