• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will it happen? Should it happen? Are these two totally different questions?

• Yes

Votes: 42 7.9%
  • No

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Fuck you, OP

Votes: 349 65.7%

• Total voters

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They'll jump in eventually. The success of Spiderman can't have gone unnoticed over at Disney/Marvel, but the potential failure of Avengers might scare them off again.
Possible I suppose, but I think they just continue loaning out their I.Ps, probably a lot of easy money in that for them, hardest part would just be finding the right partners.

Nov 6, 2017
In terms of Star Wars mismanaged both firms would complete eath other quite well. Appart from that there are little reasons for Disney to buy EA.

OP
OP
Digital-Kill3r-7
Jun 4, 2019
If anything, Spider-Man's success may show that Disney may have the right idea in just licensing out their properties. With that said, I'd imagine the it would take a lot for the Avengers game to bomb.
We've left the age of games doing well just because they're based on beloved IP. A lot of people will pass on the Avengers game if it gets terrible reviews and has horrible word of mouth. Sure, it might end up selling okay by the standards of other games, but an Avengers AAA game should sell just as well as a Call of Duty or GTA, and that doesn't look feasible currently.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We've left the age of games doing well just because they're based on beloved IP. A lot of people will pass on the Avengers game if it gets terrible reviews and has horrible word of mouth. Sure, it might end up doing okay by the standards of other games, but an Avengers AAA game should sell just as well as a Call of Duty or GTA, and that doesn't look possible at this point.
Oh yeah, if it doesn't review well, its sales will probably tank. But if it's at least decent, SE Avengers should be fine.

Either way, outside of the Avengers game being terrible, I can't really see it bombing.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Why they would do that when they can keep licensing IP's?

Get the money without the trouble.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie OP, that third poll option was gold.

Disney aren't interested yet, licensing is still the way to go for them.

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
Like many said. Disney currently does fine licensing their franchises. Especially, as long they can invest more into any form of their blockbuster business, that offers much larger profits than video games can do right now. Especially because it's a market they aren't familiar with. The only thing I can see them doing anything with games in the future might be trying to get some video game IPs to put them into AAA movies.

Aine

May 27, 2019
1. Disney has long sworn off in-house game development since the failure of Disney Infinity

2. Why would you want Disney to own everything?

Oct 27, 2017
EA, op? Fuck, if anything, have Disney buy Capcom:

1. The Marvel Fighting series is preserved for all times.
2. The awesome Disney/Capcom relationship is revived.
3. Maybe we can get some awesome Capcom game-movies finally!

With that last point, Fox had the rights to Megaman, correct? I dream of a world where "Phase 6 or 7" involves a live action MvC.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
If Disney bought EA and then shut them down, would anyone actually miss them? I mean really.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I could only assume the ONLY reason Disney would even be interested in EA is for Madden and FIFA because of the revenue those two bring in. If Disney is going to get back in the video game business, I'd much rather see them resurrect the Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned game that Propaganda was working on. That looked promising.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Disney fucked up so bad when they were in video game publishing to the point they completely got out. That's why they just license out to publishers to use their IPs and leave it at that.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Monopolies are ....*squints at smeared note on palm*.....good?

I'd like to see Disney broken up, not further consolidation of the industry into one enormous shitpile of a company

plow

Oct 28, 2017
If Disney were to purchase any gaming company it would be Sony. Not only would they get the complete rights to Spider-Man back, but they'd also get PlayStation, the leading console platform, along with all of their studios and IP. Obviously this couldn't happen due to monopoly in Hollywood but it's Sony they would want the most, I imagine.

Eh what? You do know that Sony is not only SIE?
Sony is a lot bigger than Disney. ( based on Revenue ).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
is there even 'value' in anybody acquiring EA, considering the cost offset? like $50+ billion for Madden and FIFA, essentially

being an armchair analyst here but seems like sort of a bum deal

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The reason Disney is so successful is that they know what they're good at. They've been pretty clear that games aren't among them.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
If I were Disney, EA's handling of the Star Wars license would automatically signal to me they're not a company worth owning.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
Disney is in the business of curating the greatest IP in the world. It's why they bought Marvel and Pixar and Lucasfilm.

If they were to buy a game dev, Nintendo would be a better bet looking at it from that lense but even then, still not enough in my opinion.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Eh what? You do know that Sony is not only SIE?
Sony is a lot bigger than Disney. ( based on Revenue ).
Disney is significantly larger than Sony in market value which is what counts, not revenue. Sony is too complicated to be outright purchased however.

At some point, traditional media companies will start looking at gaming companies. Not just for IP to mine, but expansion into eSports. Investment banks all across the street are showing them gaming companies as traditional media opportunities become more scarce. EA/Activision are massive.

I'd imagine Take Two would go first. But the best fit for Disney would be Sega or Nintendo.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
fucking wacky ass people supporting corporate consolidation on this forum, I swear

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Bob Iger is already the most powerful man in Hollywood.

Do people seriously want that in gaming?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Disney doesn't want to make video games. If they did, they wouldn't have shut down their video game division and all but shuttered Lucasarts when they bought out Lucasfilm.

Why would they buy EA?

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
How many times has EA won that worst company award? They have the most down voted post on Reddit, relating to a Disney IP. Someone from the company just talked about how they had to deal with seeing the company as evil. Weren't there rumors about how they were looking for another company to work with on Star Wars?

Why the hell would they buy that company? They're a PR nightmare.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
IIRC Bob Iger was asked about Disney going into games during one of the earnings calls and he basically said that Disney weren't very good at it, and were happy to continue licensing their IP to other developers.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
They'll jump in eventually. The success of Spiderman can't have gone unnoticed over at Disney/Marvel, but the potential failure of Avengers might scare them off again.
Isn't that the heart of it, they want to be a business where everything they do is a big success and gives a great return on investment. Game publishing seems to always be hit and miss. Licensing their ip is far safer.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the heart of it, they want to be a business where everything they do is a big success and gives a great return on investment. Game publishing seems to always be hit and miss. Licensing their ip is far safer.

With the IPs they own, they only need good marketing and productions values to have a success on their hands.

Make any game in a franchise to be an event like once a generation and everyone will flock to it.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
REASONS: Clear brand synergy between ESPN and all of EA's licensed sports game. Several developers who have worked and can continue to work on Star Wars games (and can eventually start work on in-house AAA Marvel games). All of the dormant IP that could be mined or even sold off. Disney skins in games like Apex Legends (fuck it, make Vader a hero in Apex, why not?). Take it a step further: Disney could turn Apex into the Fortnite killer it was meant to be, with full mobile integration and tons of crossover events.

And finally, MASS EFFECT WORLD.

Financially, EA's probably too overweight at the moment (30b market cap, total acquisition would probably be closer to 50b), but shit son, the synergies are there. Will the Mouse ever do it?
Why hasn't Apple acquired Disney yet? Apple wants to be an entertainment company too. So much cash waiting to be spend.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
we don't have micro transactions, we don't have surprise mechanics, we have magical boxes and you will never know what's in it before you try it! (We don't even know what's in it!)

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
Didn't we have this thread last week? Why do some people want Disney to buy everything. It's ridiculous.