• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
On current Consoles we have Final Fantasy 7-12 remasters but only older DQ 1-3 remasters. It seems like easy money to re-release DQ 5-7 on current gen consoles. Why isn't SE doing this?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they do remasters for those DQ games on the DS or 3DS? They're old-school 2D games, they just work better in the portable format at this point.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Resources probably. DQ1-6 and 8 are on mobile so they're maybe happy enough with that for now. Likely tied to the same reason FF1-6 haven't been ported to consoles recently.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe SE feels the market for those interested in DQ remasters lies mostly on mobile, given the popularity of the series in Japan. People might have gotten out of gaming but everyone owns a phone.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On current Consoles we have Final Fantasy 7-12 remasters but only older DQ 1-3 remasters. It seems like easy money to re-release DQ 5-7 on current gen consoles. Why isn't SE doing this?

I mean they have everything on pc and they didnt even try with dq. They probably think it wont sell.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Porting Dragon Quest games is difficult because of the issue around the composer needing to give permission due to him owning music rights and such. If I am remembering correctly; the logistics of porting Dragon Quest is a mess in that regards.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Good question. I would love to have the old games on consoles and pc. I would kill for an HD update of DQ 8 that isn't on a tiny screen. Right now its emulation or handcramp city with mobile/handheld options.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
A bigger question is why isn't Square releasing Final Fantasy 1-6 as well as Tactics on current consoles?

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Probably easier to just sell them on Mobiles in Japan to be honest. FF is a much bigger series in the west.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
DQ1 - 3 only hit Switch in late 2019 iirc, for all we know the rest are coming. You could just easily flip the question around and ask why FF1 - 6 aren't on current stuff at the moment. SE just does things at their own pace and that probably involves a lot of factors that won't make sense to us.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Resources probably. DQ1-6 and 8 are on mobile so they're maybe happy enough with that for now. Likely tied to the same reason FF1-6 haven't been ported to consoles recently.
They can remake and remaster Mana and Saga games but don't have ressources to bring the DQ classics on Switch/PC or consoles in general ? Hard to believe.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it's some combination of:

Having the DS & 3DS versions available on mobile where they believe they're capturing the audience for lower price DQ remasters

Probably being able to remake the games and sell a million full priced copies in Japan

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Porting Dragon Quest games is difficult because of the issue around the composer needing to give permission due to him owning music rights and such. If I am remembering correctly; the logistics of porting Dragon Quest is a mess in that regards.

Sugiyama turns 90 this year. Curious who will acquire the rights to the music when he passes away.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They can remake and remaster Mana and Saga games but don't have ressources to bring the DQ classics on Switch/PC or consoles in general ? Hard to believe.

Stuff like Mana and Saga didn't have any kind of modern ports or even localizations so those might just be a priority over games that are already accessible. Obviously Square could figure it out if they really wanted to port DQ but the internal teams that handle their old ports aren't the biggest if I remember.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I'd gladly buy 4, 5, 6 and 8 again, especially if they can get those on the Switch!
4~6 not being available already is particularly puzzling considering we got DQ 1~3 already.

Out of curiosity. Why only 5~7? In other words, why are 4 and 8 not deserving of love, OP (4, 5 and 8 are my favs so I'm butthurt)?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the rights to this game are split by multiple companies, so it's probably harder to get going than Final Fantasy

Oct 30, 2017
At very very less they could do DQVIII HD Remastered for the modern home consoles and PC... so those who have loved DQXI and never tried the series before they get a great chance.

And of course the ultimate dream is PS2 Remake of DQV for the west............

:"-(

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
This thread just reminded me that DQ9 is still only playable on the DS, if I recall. But yeah, most the earlier games already have mobile ports, so that does afford them a bit of longevity.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are just leaving money on the table at this point. Meanwhile Capcom puts all their RE games on everything including toasters.
Funny thing, it's almost like Resident Evil actually sells in the west versus DQ. Y'all always say "they're leaving money on the table!" but can never back that up with actual facts. I love Dragon Quest, but Dragon Quest doesn't sell.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It is seriously unfortunate. I would be there day one for just about every mainline title on Steam even if they are clearly thrown together.

Square Enix is mostly just uninterested in releasing their legacy content for the most part. Somehow Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is only available on mobile even though I am entirely confident it would sell better than the vast majority of their older titles and likely would not be too hard to port.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my DQ IV-VI DS games (and the systems to play them), but would still love to see SE port those over to the Switch.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I bought the first three DQ games on Switch and DQ 1-6 on my iPhone

I have dq11 on both PS4 and pc and wish those two platforms got more DQ love

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
We had upgraded releases on the DS fairly recently 🤔

As well as VII and VII on the 3DS.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Probably because most of the definitive versions are on mobile; although Dragon Quest I-III made it to Switch and PS4 as well iirc. Like, the only game that doesn't have an andorid/iOS or console version is Dragon Quest IX at this point (and VII/X for English-speaking world; VII is probably because Nintendo published the 3DS version).

That said, it'd be cool to have the mobile version of the Zenith trilogy ported over to Switch and other consoles.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I think they said they will make some announcements for 2021's Dragon Quest anniversary.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Didn't they do remasters for those DQ games on the DS or 3DS? They're old-school 2D games, they just work better in the portable format at this point.
Exactly what I was going to say. They aren't as flashy as a lot of your later Final Fantasy games, so their original 2D style fits rather well. The DS remakes were really good, and I could see an Octopath style DQ remake working well.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I wish they'd get on it. Would love to play some of the DS games on the Switch.

I feel like SE are more protective of DQ than FF, or that there's more restraint in porting them to other platforms.

My thinking is that there's an issue in adjusting the aspect ratio those DS games to look good on a widescreen but that seems crazy.

Last edited:

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I still have my DQ IV-VI DS games (and the systems to play them), but would still love to see SE port those over to the Switch.
Unless you're a hardcore collector, you should really sell 4 DS as you really don't want to replay it. It's not a good version of the game (arguably the worst, even) and guts it's most charming and endearing feature to the point where replaying it using the mobile release changed it from being my third least fav overall to being tied with 8 as second best (5 remains king for me). Here's some context lifted from elsewhere on Era:
There are three options for playing DQIV: the original NES version, the DS version, and the mobile version. Unlike every other DQ game with multiple versions, I would actually argue there is currently only one definitive version of DQIV: the mobile version.

The original version had a significant remake on the DS, vastly modifying/improving nearly every aspect of the game; for this reason, other than historical interest, I would recommend sticking with the remake. While the DS version is great in most ways, it has one critical flaw: the Party Chat was completely excised from the game. What this essentially means is that the DS version has had the vast, vast majority of its script removed, rendering most of the characters in the game little more than faceless archetypes with a bit of background flavor. This is a huge problem in DQIV in particular, which has one of the strongest casts in the series, if not the actual strongest.

As such, the mobile version - which is functionally identical to the DS version in most ways, but restores the Party Chat - is absolutely the best way to play the game, and costs $15. To emphasize yet again - I do not recommend playing the DS version of Dragon Quest IV. I understand a lot of people have a distaste for playing more "core" gaming experiences on mobile, but in this case it's really the best option by quite a bit. It's difficult to fully express how much personality, character, and charm the Party Chat adds. In a more character-driven game like DQIV, removing the Party Chat is essentially cutting the soul out of the game. Unless you literally do not care at all about the characters, and are purely interested in the gameplay, the mobile version is the way to go.

The good news is... if you only ever played DQ4 on the DS, there's a potential GOAT out there on the loose for you to hunt down and play because you really haven't seen what really makes the game standout yet. ^^

i broke down and bought 4 on my damn phone
That's the version you want, actually. See above.

i want the dq7 remake ported literally anywhere so badly.
Just get the 3DS version and use Citra to play it if the requirement is "literally anywhere" as you'll not only be capitalizing on the fact the game's currently being sold quite cheaply as most retailers are draining their 3DS inventories (at least in PAL land there's been an unexpected deluge of 3DS stuff being sold on the cheap ever since the holiday season died down) but also essentially getting the HD port you want so badly in one fell swoop! ^^

Last edited:

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Just get the 3DS version and use Citra to play it if the requirement is "literally anywhere" as you'll not only be capitalizing on the fact the game's currently being sold quite cheaply as most retailers are draining their 3DS inventories (at least in PAL land there's been an unexpected deluge of 3DS stuff being sold on the cheap ever since the holiday season died down) but also essentially getting the HD port you want so badly in one fell swoop! ^^
i will definitely look into this. thanks!

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're a hardcore collector, you should really sell 4 DS as you really don't want to replay it. It's not a good version of the game (arguably the worst, even) and guts it's most charming and endearing feature to the point where replaying it using the mobile release changed it from being my third least fav overall to being tied with 8 as second best (5 remains king for me). Here's some context lifted from elsewhere on Era:

The good news is... if you only ever played DQ4 on the DS, there's a potential GOAT out there on the loose for you to hunt down and play because you really haven't seen what really makes the game standout yet. ^^

I've played both DQ IV on the NES waaay back when it first released and then the remake on the DS. Haven't played the mobile version, but then I don't play games on my phone and really don't want to.

Now, if they port it to the Switch, like they did with DQ 1-3, I am willing to give it a try. But don't see myself playing the mobile version otherwise.