• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Every fish in the water doesn't have to be a shark. If you have a platform and aren't using it to show solidarity its suspect and that's exactly what all of your so called "hollow tweets" are now exposing.

I don't think corporate platforms are useful, especially when they are saying the bare minimum. Look at how few of these companies taking a stand are actually calling out police brutality and police violence. It's all "racism is bad/black lives matter", yes, the rest of us knew that a long ass time ago. You me to respect a company using their platform lets see them really use it.

I'm not saying Nintendo or any brand shouldn't make a statement, I'm just indifferent to it, mostly because the content of these "statements" is almost always empty.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also Sony have followed up with the tweet, with replies to trolls, retweet donation links and matching the employee donations.

This is what we need to see more of.

You guys can miss me with the "silence brand" bullshit.

If a post by them can influence even one of their younger audience members to pay attention and learn about what's going on, their "PR" will have been worth it, regardless.

Their silence is cowardly. Fuck em.
This. The message should be spread regardless of who does it.

Jackpot2027

Aug 1, 2018
User banned (1 week): platform wars in a sensitive thread
Because Nintendo have the most forgiving and "Nintendo could never do something wrong" fanboy community. I mean, you just have to read this thread to see all this justification of Nintendo silence.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a big Nintendo fan a part of me is hurt that they didn't say anything. But as a 40 year old black man who's been living in America for the last 25 years. Who's had guns pointed in his face by police for the crime of being in a friend's car who made a illegal turn, who's been stopped and frisked multiple times, who's had to deal with racist boss, who's been called nigger, who's been told niggers don't belong in this country, who's been denied access to the apartment building he lives in because they're not sure I belong there, who's been (up to 2 weeks ago) questioned if I live in the apartment my girl was living in for the past ten years. I realized that a tweet from a multi billion dollar Corp isn't going to change shit. What all the other companies are doing are nice but they have to prove to me they have our best interest at heart, and are not doing this for PR.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nintendo of America doesn't have the autonomy to put out a statement like this without the approval of Japan. And Japan is run by a bunch of old men.
This is it

To me, that Pokemon tweet felt like a sign of "hey, we want to show support but our corporate overlords say no, so this is the best we can do"

Japan doesn't seem to care what's going on here, sadly

sgurschick

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Because as Activision Blizzard demonstrated, it's all just virtue signaling. What would be the point of a statement professing unity and support?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Nickelodeon can go off the air for 8:46 and air this message Nintendo can say something too. There is absolutely no excuse for silence right now. It's despicable and deplorable.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thread has broken a record I think of people "this"-ing and . - ing a stupid ass post from the first page.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, this is pedestrian cynical thinking. Are companies mainly looking for a profit? Of course. Do companies in themselves not have personalities? Sure.

But they are made up of people. Those people do have some semblance of personality, even if they have been drone-ified to some extent. If, through the cyborg-like machinations of a company, at least some kind of message and action can go out, isn't that a plus to the cause in a fight against *systemic* problems?

What is the benefit of persisting a blanket mentality like the above? Who does it help? What does it do? Are people somehow better off by maintaining this stance? Why not question Nintendo's response, or lack of it, if it adds some element of conversation towards the cause?
Well said. The blanket cynicism does nothing for the cause

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Every fish in the water doesn't have to be a shark. If you have a platform and aren't using it to show solidarity its suspect and that's exactly what all of your so called "hollow tweets" are now exposing.

to sit on your huge platform that has all types of people and not address it is whack as hell. Especially with how bigoted and uncaring gaming can be.

It's frustrating, but not as frustrating as all the people here trying to justify it and spin this as a good thing.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Why do you need a giant corporation to join in on this conversation? Serious question.
I'm gonna shut down this annoying rethoric that I've seen flying around here for a few days now.
No, we don't "need" them to join the conversation, but them showing support, even if only through a message can only result in a net positive, there's literally no downside to those of us who want to see change and support the movement, there's no downside when a giant company (as you say) shows support to a cause, so why do so many people act bothered by this fact? Why do so many people decide to go the cynical route with this? I don't get it, are you so jaded?

There's also the fact that, as a giant corporation, their platfoms are followed by millions, their reach is huge, so a single message will reach millions and as more companies join in on the support, the crowd that doesn't like seeing all this support will feel reduced and helpless, they'll feel suffocated by an overwhelming positive message (that is negative for them due to their bigotry), so yes, more companies joining in the end can only be a good thing. Stop this rethoric, it's exhausting and sounds like people are more worried about trying to excuse a company (and companies in general) than the movement itself. Stop.

Oct 25, 2017
Gee I don't know, to maybe at least pretend to care an ounce about black lives and suffering?

A company does not care. They are not a person. Hell even in this imaginary world where they are releasing a statement saying life is good, violence is bad isn't even a stance in the first place and that's 100% of what all this bullshit PR is.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
And you're satisfied with that? You're satisfied with them pretending to care? For what end?

Changing the Overton window is a good thing yeah.

I love that people are acting like Nintendo is just being a faceless company so good for them for being sincerely indifferent, while they have a history of being terrible and on the wrong side of these issues. And the wrong side is to say nothing. Despite the cynicism that I wholeheartedly endorse about the purposes of these brands going in. There is an argument to be made that yes, any company going in is looking to protect their bottom line, BUT IT IS STILL THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

A company does not care. They are not a person. Hell even in this imaginary world where they are releasing a statement saying life is good, violence is bad isn't even a stance in the first place and that's 100% of what all this bullshit PR is.

Nice strawman, that's not what these statements say.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, this is pedestrian cynical thinking. Are companies mainly looking for a profit? Of course. Do companies in themselves not have personalities? Sure.

But they are made up of people. Those people do have some semblance of personality, even if they have been drone-ified to some extent. If, through the cyborg-like machinations of a company, at least some kind of message and action can go out, isn't that a plus to the cause in a fight against *systemic* problems?

What is the benefit of persisting a blanket mentality like the above? Who does it help? What does it do? Are people somehow better off by maintaining this stance? Why not question Nintendo's response, or lack of it, if it adds some element of conversation towards the cause?
For some people defending their favorite company is priority over everything else.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
It's a bit disappointing and I'm surprised of the tone of this thread. Whether you personally find these "Brand" tweets hollow doesn't change that Nintendo has a massive platform in which they can help normalise a good worthwhile cause. 'Just PR' or not shouldn't matter if the end result is more positive than nothing.
I'm gonna shut down this annoying rethoric that I've seen flying around here for a few days now.
No, we don't "need" them to join the conversation, but them showing support, even if only through a message can only result in a net positive, there's literally no downside to those of us who want to see change and support the movement, there's no downside when a giant company (as you say) shows support to a cause, so why do so many people act bothered by this fact? Why do so many people decide to go the cynical route with this? I don't get it, are you so jaded?

There's also the fact that, as a giant corporation, their platfoms are followed by millions, their reach is huge, so a single message will reach millions and as more companies join in on the support, the crowd that doesn't like seeing all this support will feel reduced and helpless, they'll feel suffocated by an overwhelming positive message (that is negative for them due to their bigotry), so yes, more companies joining in the end can only be a good thing. Stop this rethoric, it's exhausting and sounds like people are more worried about trying to excuse a company (and companies in general) than the movement itself. Stop.
Very much this.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

But But... But... Muh PR! /s

Seriously this.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's better than them saying absolutely fucking nothing. To me that says that they don't give two shits about what's going on right now.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret:

None of these companies give a shit about what's going on right now and are only doing these BLM social media posts to get clout with the people who give them money

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Because they don't give a fuck. Why do people expect anything from Nintendo in these matters? Isn't the pattern pretty obvious by now?

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
You do know that companies are comprised of PEOPLE, right? People with actual human emotions and stuff. I know, it's crazy.

data

Oct 25, 2017
It's better than them saying absolutely fucking nothing. To me that says that they don't give two shits about what's going on right now.
Why is it better? Because if they pretended to care, they still don't give two shits about what's going on.

I would prefer it if they made a statement AND take some progressive action

Changing the Overton window is a good thing yeah.

I love that people are acting like Nintendo is just being a faceless company so good for them for being sincerely indifferent, while they have a history of being terrible and on the wrong side of these issues. And the wrong side is to say nothing. Despite the cynicism that I wholeheartedly endorse about the purposes of these brands going in. There is an argument to be made that yes, any company going in is looking to protect their bottom line, BUT IT IS STILL THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

I would love it if Nintendo would make a statement and took some action. To me, making a statement isn't enough and keeping silent isn't for the best either. But what can I expect as an individual, I can hardly pressure them to making one. I really would love to be able to. But a lot of companies don't care about the RIGHT THING. No seriously they don't.

Look at Blizzard. They made a statement. But look last year at how they treated Hong Kong.

Okay, cool, they did the right thing. That's it? You're happy they did the "right thing". I'm not. They should be doing more especially after what happened last year.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
They should be matching donations with their employees and donate something on their own.
I doubt they are and that is disappointing

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I mean is there anything else beside to say?

I dont get why people need corporations to act like people. Nintendo, Sony and MS dont care about Chinese censorship as long as they sell consoles. Brands are not friends. I rather listen from the people behind the names, and we all have proof the Treehouse guys and management are going all out to express support.

Seen you in various threads downplaying the bare minimum that Nintendo is doing.

it's clear as water as some members here don't give a fuck as long as their dear Nintendo isn't harmed.

this is why the gaming side should always stay the gaming side people so out of touch with reality, living in a fucking bubble praising companies and entities more than human lives.

there is a pressing matter right now engulfing not only the United states, lots of countries around the world are up in upheaval, disarray and what not.

but a bunch of you shamelessly op to downplay the situación calling it "pr", calling it stunt and what not just because your favorite company is looking like a fucking clown right now.

there is yes loads of companies but There's is only 3 yes 3 mayor gaming companies and out of all of them " Nintendo" is the one doing the less, not even doing the minimum, looking the other way.

but you all want to be fucking cynical, and go to the media create sales thread and foam through the mouth when Nintendo sells millions. But as soon as a serious matter appears and Nintendo can't even do the bare minimum to show "empathy" yes even if it's empty even if it's cold, it's their responsibility to do so, because of all of those millions of sales people of color are a great number of them, and those people their customers are in need of support right now even if it's a simple statement.

an people agreeing with Servbot24 comment going the easy way out "this ain't it chief".

but go on keep living in your detached bubble of complacency and dismissing and diminishing the issue just because the brand that you love the most is not putting up. Keep defending them.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Commentary Regarding Police Brutality
Not every company needs to say something about this. Nor does every person. We get it already.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Will they lose something by being silent? I doubt. They have no reason to speak or not to speak about this, but they also have no will to make a politic statement.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think corporate platforms are useful, especially when they are saying the bare minimum. Look at how few of these companies taking a stand are actually calling out police brutality and police violence. It's all "racism is bad/black lives matter", yes, the rest of us knew that a long ass time ago. You me to respect a company using their platform lets see them really use it.

I'm not saying Nintendo or any brand shouldn't make a statement, I'm just indifferent to it, mostly because the content of these "statements" is almost always empty.
That's one way to look at it. Its a little reductionist in my opinion because these companies have influence and their influence will spur the actual people in them and around them to action. Somewhere some kid is reading PlayStation's twitter and trying to figure out what they can do now to help. All I'm saying is we shouldn't downplay the importance of that, and its certainly not empty to influence others to action.

Like people always say, corporations are not people, so obviously Crash Bandicoot and Kratos are not going to go out and protest and donate. But the people under the influence of those brands potentially will. Plus for all we know the senior executives of Playstation are doing exactly that. Their tweets have power whether you see it or not.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
I'm not going to judge either Nintendo or any other company if they are doing right or wrong thing. Sure, It would be a nice gesture and it could inspire someone. But the fact is they are a company and the decisions they make ain't always gonna be up to everyone's morals. There are however parts of these companies, people, who are supportive and that's fantastic. I would also like to point out that a lot of people here and generally over the internet also ain't doing much besides pointing fingers at people and blaming them for not doing enough while doing virtually jack shit themselves except for boosting their own ego trying to look like a Great Morality's Protectors. I'd rather see a genuine act of support coming from one's own initiative than one forced by a internet mob, no matter if it's a company or a single person. And I most definitely find shaming people for not doing things rather pity. You're all welcome to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.