• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they went ahead marketing the expansion pack for Pokemon in a day most brands pledged to blackout from social media to show support... It's very clear they don't want to lose a penny over this matter and the excited response to the trailer in this very forum shows how their fans will enable them to keep being silent about issues.
Their western social media accounts have gone dark all day and the localized Pokémon trailer is currently unlisted.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Nintendo never goes into politics or really ventures outside gaming. Their silence is expected and normal.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Big corporations stay silent most of the time, specially when something happens outside Europe/North America
As someone from a third world country I am already used to them not caring

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Sony decided showing support could make them money, Nintendo decided showing support would lose them money.

Companies do not have personalities and they are not your friend.

More people need to come to understand the bolded.

Meh, this is pedestrian cynical thinking. Are companies mainly looking for a profit? Of course. Do companies in themselves not have personalities? Sure.

But they are made up of people. Those people do have some semblance of personality, even if they have been drone-ified to some extent. If, through the cyborg-like machinations of a company, at least some kind of message and action can go out, isn't that a plus to the cause in a fight against *systemic* problems?

What is the benefit of persisting a blanket mentality like the above? Who does it help? What does it do? Are people somehow better off by maintaining this stance? Why not question Nintendo's response, or lack of it, if it adds some element of conversation towards the cause?

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo doesn't usually care enough to acknowledge issues with their own products. Don't expect anything more.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Nintendo must be one of the most "let's not talk about politics" publishers in the world, so isn't really surprising that they are pretending that nothing is happening
Except the one time they had reference watergate in a papermario game.

kotaku.com

After Outcry, Nintendo Says Paper Mario: Color Splash Doesn't Reference 'Hate Campaign'

Nintendo has publicly denied that joke from an E3 demo for the upcoming Wii U game Paper Mario: Color Splash is a reference to a harassment campaign that targeted game designer Zoe Quinn. The company says it’s a nod to the Watergate scandal from the 1970s.

May 17, 2018
You guys can miss me with the "silence brand" bullshit.

If a post by them can influence even one of their younger audience members to pay attention and learn about what's going on, their "PR" will have been worth it, regardless.

Their silence is cowardly. Fuck em.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
One of the corporations that a tremendous number of people mischaracterise as their "friend" does what it does because it knows it doesn't need to do anything more to continue making profit. On the flipside, many such people will demand said corporation be given a pass and oddly pretend it has feelings that might be hurt if it was expected to be held to a better standard.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I would also prefer that they would speak out.
I liked the tweet from the Pokemon twitter:

I think this or the lgbtq+ presence is in their pr range, or what they think fits their image, cause it's basically "everyone loves together", really positive thinking. They are less confortable taking position in a conflict, cause they must think it's a little weird with the type of content they produce.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, they have a dedicated fanbase, that I'm sure would love at see NIntendo's support. At the bare minimum, showing their support through a tweet reaches a lot of people.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Sony decided showing support could make them money, Nintendo decided showing support would lose them money.

There we go. Sony delayed the event as to not have current events drown out the noise of PS5 event. Do I think Sony is sincere in their words and actions? Yes. Do I think it was the reason for the delay? No

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Corporations aren't your friend, sure, but they can be criticized. Kind of getting tired of the edgelord "lmao you idiots you REALLY expect these companies to care?" takes, even if there is a kernel of truth in them (in that to not be too disappointed if they don't do shit).

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Because they run themselves as a toy company that doesn't want to create controversy at all. Of course, the fact that they are not saying anything has become controversial. So good job there.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern Trolling on a Sensitive Topic
I don't get why people are disappointed. A family-oriented entertainment brand should not necessarily be expected to make a political statement regarding police brutality and violent racism in the world at large. Their employees are making statements on Twitter and their games are about open-mindedness and inclusivity, so it's clear where they stand on the issue. I'd be disappointed if I had any doubt where they stood, but I don't. Other companies are doing it, but they have a different target audience, and just because they chose to do it doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo should follow suit. There are more brands that didn't comment than there are that did. Nintendo's games speak for themselves.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, they don't have to say anything. But they do begin to look like the odd one out when other companies and even their "competitors" have acknowledged and in some cases taken action. Hell, even Lego and Sesame Street are taking a stance so it's not like some unspoken rule that family-oriented companies have to take a backseat.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Except the one time they had reference watergate in a papermario game.

kotaku.com

After Outcry, Nintendo Says Paper Mario: Color Splash Doesn't Reference 'Hate Campaign'

Nintendo has publicly denied that joke from an E3 demo for the upcoming Wii U game Paper Mario: Color Splash is a reference to a harassment campaign that targeted game designer Zoe Quinn. The company says it’s a nod to the Watergate scandal from the 1970s.

Given that Watergate was a political incident that happened over 40 years ago I think it moves beyond contemporary politics and into general cultural references.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Because Nintendo's run by out of touch old japanese men? The company's so insular and up its own ass that it would be more surprising if they actually said anything here.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't care about corporations putting out tweets or not, they can put out a hashtag and go right back to censoring black people and gay people in China.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

not surprised but I also don't think a hollow tweet or gesture will mean anything either. Corporations are not going to save us.

lol, these companies are doing more with their platform then y'all are. sad y'all are choosing to downplay their messaging

Oct 25, 2017
It's their policy. They are a very conservative company.

It is disappointing, but I also think it should not be a surprise to anyone. I don't know but I'd wager a guess that there is a lot of angst about the silence among the NoA employees.

it has nothing to do with conservative. I know it's shocking to believe but not everything in this world is black or white or right and left. They think the financial impact getting involved in this will be negative

companies speaking up think the opposite
"We do good, we say good, we good guy, we make money"

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I don't get why people are disappointed. A family-oriented entertainment brand should not necessarily be expected to make a political statement regarding police brutality and violent racism in the world at large. Their employees are making statements on Twitter and their games are about open-mindedness and inclusivity, so it's clear where they stand on the issue. I'd be disappointed if I had any doubt where they stood, but I don't. Other companies are doing it, but they have a different target audience, and just because they chose to do it doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo should follow suit. There are more brands that didn't comment than there are that did. Nintendo's games speak for themselves.

Marvel responded too. What makes Nintendo special?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is the company that took 19 years to add black skin in Animal Crossing and had people spending several hours in the sun to have their villager tanned.
Brown and black people had to put in WORK to get a semblance of their skin color

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They never mention any political issue, I suppose for being such a Japan-centric company.

In any case, those statements of so many multinationals do me little good when they then have racist policies the rest of the year.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Can we stop with this generic - companies are not your friend line.

Companies comprise of people and particularly people from different religions, races etc.. including people of colour. At the very least they should put out a statement for their employees if not for the general public to reassure they believe in pluralism.

Companies are not some faceless entities that have no human influence.

They're freakin faceless entities.

People are people. Companies are companies. I don't see how you can't make the distinction. Someone can choose to represent a company, but the company is not a person. All companies care about mainly are profits.

Would you be happy if they put out a statement and then do nothing? What does reassuring they believe in pluralism do if in the end they do nothing about it other than say a few carefully crafted words that mean nothing in the grand scheme of all of this.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also Sony have followed up with the tweet, with replies to trolls, retweet donation links and matching the employee donations.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
They don't have to say anything, but when everyone else does it, they look like they don't care. And it's not a good look.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Has Nintendo ever really done anything outside their video game "bubble"?

Quick Googling:

Nintendo of America makes corporate contributions to charitable organizations on an ongoing basis. Additionally, Nintendo of America offers an Employee Matching Gifts Program through which Nintendo will match, dollar-for-dollar or product-for-product, employee donations to qualified organizations of the employee's choice. Nintendo of America has also established a dedicated employee organization for charitable activities called the NGiving Committee. Some of the charitable organizations and events supported by Nintendo of America and its employees include:

United Way of King County: Nintendo has a long relationship with this Washington State-based charitable organization, which has many community-based subsidiaries. The United Way of King County focuses on early learning, keeping families stable, supporting youth and ending homelessness.

Starlight Children's Foundation: Nintendo sponsors this organization's effort on a global scale to benefit seriously ill children and their families. Nintendo helps fund the production, repair and operational costs of Fun Centers: mobile entertainment units equipped with the latest Nintendo gaming systems to provide bedside entertainment and therapeutic play for pediatric patients.

Boys & Girls Clubs of Bellevue: Nintendo's support of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Bellevue began over 25 years ago. One of the first Clubs in the country to include girls, the organization's mission is to inspire and enable all young people to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens. Nintendo supports the Clubs by sponsoring its annual fundraising events, holding internal drives each year to provide the children with new backpacks, school supplies and winter coats, sponsoring various programs (e.g. Be Great: Graduate! and SMART Girls) and acting as a corporate sponsor of one of its clubhouses located in low-income public housing.

Make-A-Wish Foundation: Nintendo provides annual sponsorship through monetary and product contributions.

The ESA (Entertainment Software Association) Foundation: Nite to Unite event sponsorship.

YWCA Family Village: Annual Thanksgiving dinner drive.

Hopelink: Annual Giving Tree: Collecting holiday gifts for children in need.

Nintendo Annual Golf Tournament: Benefitting a different charity each year.

Youth Eastside Services: Annual Invest in Youth Breakfast Sponsorship.

www.nintendo.com

Nintendo - about us

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool of they did it, but it is a japanese company and a USA protest. I still think its weird that NoA didnt post at least something.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017

People are people. Companies are companies. I don't see how you can't make the distinction. Someone can choose to represent a company, but the company is not a person. All companies care about mainly are profits.

Would you be happy if they put out a statement and then do nothing? What does reassuring they believe in pluralism do if in the end they do nothing about it other than say a few carefully crafted words that mean nothing in the grand scheme of all of this.

I would be happy if they put out an empty statement that atleast informs its effing fanbase of the issue and make them aware.

Btw here is what Sony did

Posted it on social media.

Publically went after accounts that criticized them for voicing support.

Made it clear to its fanbase where the company ( that comprise of its employees) stand.

Matched donations for groups to create awareness

You mean to tell me all of this has no positive effort ( even 1% positive effect) and Sony should have instead done nothing?

Yeah no.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would expect something from NoA honestly. Even those white text on black background images.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
At least the Splatoon and Animal Crossing communities are flying the flags high.

No excuse really, being complicit whilst everyone else is being so loud, really makes them stand out.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

Would you say the same thing if companies were tweeting out things you disagreed with? What if Nintendo tweeted that they stand behind law and order and the police? Would you say the same thing? It's a corporation saying meaningless things?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they went ahead marketing the expansion pack for Pokemon in a day most brands pledged to blackout from social media to show support... It's very clear they don't want to lose a penny over this matter and the excited response to the trailer in this very forum shows how their fans will enable them to keep being silent about issues.

This is false, NOA has not marketed anything today. They've been on total blackout, which is not something they would normally do on a day where a Pokemon DLC release date is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.