• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibly stupid. Like if you search for 'Joker' on Twitter you get a bunch of tweets loving it, then one old media article from CNN or whatever fear mongering about shootings and empowered incels.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It feels like a self fulfilling prophecy. If it empowered incels in any way it will be because it was given that power by the way people discussed the film and not really because of the actual film itself.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think because it seemed like a bleak movie presenting a popular, villainous character sympathetically - reducing the degrees of seperation between a comic book character and a potentially volatile viewer - 'See, the Joker isn't too unlike you'.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
On its own, I don't think anyone would have a problem with its story/characterization but you can't remove context from the situation.

Especially when we've had these mass shootings lately perpetrated by these 12chan/4chan types.

And it's through that lens that ppl have a problem with things. Especially when some feel this film shines a somewhat sympathetic light on this violent anti-hero. There's no batman or any clear good to balance out the outright nihilism. Just US GAMERS RISING UP

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen the movie yet. But it's now been out for a few days and... zilch. It's nowhere to be found on Reddit good, bad, or cringe. It hasn't taken the internet by storm. And none of the ideas or themes of the movie seem to be making any impact whatsoever in the media at large.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Because that is the logical connection to make when someone decides to make a movie featuring one of the most prolific and well-known fictional mass murderers in pop culture into a sad white man protagonist who just wanted to be loved. It's not a leap, it's not some kind of reach or hand-wringing concern trolling, it's the absolute natural response to those trailers in this political and social environment. And then when it turned out the guy who wrote and directed it had never even thought about that aspect of the subject matter, it got bigger because how much of a fucking idiot could Todd Phillips actually be? (Answer: Very much one.)

And on a side note, honestly the "the press did it because they want a mass shooting to happen" shit is disgusting and should be bannable. That's pure Trumpian "fake news" and "corrupt media" bullshit and isn't at all what happened here. Anyone saying shit like that is fucking pathetic.

No, it's not. There's more nuance here, and there's also precedent in the sense that the proto "incel" communities have in fact latched on to films they saw themselves in and used them as totems for advancing their viewpoints and indoctrinating vulnerable newcomers. The fact that Joker has no inherent viewpoint on its protagonist's monstrous actions, simply assuming the viewer will see it as abhorrent, makes it ripe for this adoption, much like Fight Club or American History X or the Hitler youth song in Cabaret. I don't think anyone will be shooting up a theater because of Joker, but it's going to become a touchstone for some very, very unsavory folks. Does that mean it shouldn't exist? Of course not, but nobody's actually saying that except dipshits trying to avoid the conversation that the film and its subject matter very plainly invites, whether the idiot who directed it understands that or not.
Well said. Some real stupid shallow and stupid takes on this, especially on this forum. No room for nuance or discussion. FAKE NEWS! CENSORSHIP! VIDEO GAMES! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think because it seemed like a bleak movie presenting a popular, villainous character sympathetically - reducing the degrees of seperation between a comic book character and a potentially volatile viewer - 'See, the Joker isn't too unlike you'.

Way over-thinking it. Media writes a bunch of articles to create a story and people buy into it -- That's about it.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the media wants something to happen so they can be there to report on it and hand out their manufactured takes

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
I don't think anyone left leaning truly cares about the manufactured apprehension. Outside of not being a big fan of the director I love J. Phoenix to bits so at worst I'll see this when it comes to dvd/blu ray.

Nov 11, 2017
Way over-thinking it. Media writes a bunch of articles to create a story and people buy into it -- That's about it.
This started with social media reaction, not with media.

The media are taking that and running with it but they definitely didn't start it. Even on this board people were criticizing it after reading the leaked script and saying it was alt right.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Some genuine - if somewhat misguided - concerns that got amplified and signal boosted by places like, well... here... which was then amplified and signal boosted again by the media.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally saw this movie today, and I can't lie: I'm shocked by the reaction of moviegoers in the theater I was in.

Several people were laughing boisterously at vicious, horrible, violent, gory scenes throughout the movie. The person sitting right next to me looked exactly what you'd expect your stereotypical incel to look like and he had this stupid gleeful look on his face throughout the film and was constantly laughing at scenes that were clearly NOT meant to be funny. I honestly got the impression that it was like he was watching his hero on screen.

Some of the scenes in question:
When Joker pretends to shoot himself in the head when he's practicing for the talk show appearance, when Joker shoots & kills the three guys on the subway, when Joker stabs his co-worker in the neck, when Joker shoots the talk show host in the head, when Joker suffocates his mom with the pillow, and honestly endless more scenes

The vibe in my theater was extremely off putting and made me very uncomfortable.

Beyond that, I kind of thought the movie itself sucked. Joaquin was amazing. The rest of the movie was complete trash. A pale imitation of much much much better films of its ilk. And I hate to say it but it does indeed celebrate a disgusting, violent character. No nuance. I kind of hated it.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Seems like a bunch of liberals throwing a fit. Mostly americans tho as you can milk fear way easier there.

If people instead focussed on the thin but present anti-capitalist /kill the rich themes this clown could have been a leftist icon.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a bunch of liberals throwing a fit. Mostly americans tho as you can milk fear way easier there.

If people instead focussed on the thin but present anti-capitalist /kill the rich themes this clown could have been a leftist icon.
Nothing more terrifying to the American corporate mainstream media than a "eat the rich" theme.

But they can't come out and say that it why they hate it so it instead becomes an "incel" movie.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing more terrifying to the American corporate mainstream media than a "eat the rich" theme.

But they can't come out and say that it why they hate it so it instead becomes an "incel" movie.

I'm not sure that
propping up Joker as some kind of savior for the middle class against the elite through violence
is exactly a health message to convey, either.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that
propping up Joker as some kind of savior for the middle class against the elite through violence
is exactly a health message to convey, either.
He is not a savior at all. More like an anarchistic violent destroyer. He offers no solution, just "eating the rich" as retribution for his descent into madness. I don't think the movie is trying to have a "positive" message. Feels more like a warning.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I just got out from seeing it and it really isn't anything isn't anything new when comes to movies focused on a evil Villain, I don't get the controversy at all, even the "girlfriend" part didn't seem out of the ordinary for standard movie psychos, hell the movie comes up being more left leaning with the"eat the rich" message

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Tbh, all these throw-away media boogieman posts got me eye-rolling. It makes me a little more understanding of the right-wing-o-sphere. I guess when it's something that you like, that you feel is unfairly criticized, it's human nature to bring out the same kind of talking points and ignore facts that don't support it.

Who knows, maybe if there were a suddenly a bunch of news articles about how sushi is bad, I would be posting about how the powerful beef industry is out of control and the media is just going for clicks.

DadsBoyfriend

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only answer is...Controversy Creates Cash. Eric Bischoff was right about that. Controversy/Conflict makes everyone richer.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I read this take by Michael Moore earlier today, he loved the movie and encourage everyone to go see it: https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10156278766436857
Not sure what to think about it since I haven't seen the movie but I thought he was being too... I don't know, understanding of the Joker?
I guess that's one of the things that make people talk about the movie so much. Personnally I've been completely de-hyped because of Todd Phillips' stupidity during the press tour, so if I see it, it'll be on a streaming service later.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
The movie became a lightning rod for politics, culture war and comic book company tribalism with Todd Phillips and Marc Maron happily pouring gasoline on the fire to further their point.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
There was a small bit of real concern that in 2019 some white fuckbois might do something stupid inspired by the Joker. Of course any real concern became overblown and hyperbolic where it practically became a meme.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really about the movie, but the times we live in. People lash out at the media they think affirms what they fear, and it's encouraged and reinforced by all the clicks publications can get playing to the fear.

Oct 28, 2017
I read this take by Michael Moore earlier today, he loved the movie and encourage everyone to go see it: https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10156278766436857
Not sure what to think about it since I haven't seen the movie but I thought he was being too... I don't know, understanding of the Joker?
I guess that's one of the things that make people talk about the movie so much. Personnally I've been completely de-hyped because of Todd Phillips' stupidity during the press tour, so if I see it, it'll be on a streaming service later.

What a garbage essay

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Live in LA County and saw it in Redondo Beach last night, where there was a uniformed officer waiting as we exited, looking sheepish and embarrassed. Dude obviously takes his job seriously and probably felt like he was being wasted there, and he was. I didn't feel safer, I felt less safe knowing there was one more on-duty cop at a fucking mall AMC rather than in a patrol car.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This article is a quick recap

Insecure marvel fans lost their minds like they did for Scorsese.

They are both right as well especially going by the actions of fans, the production companies are really targeting that fanboy lust with those movies without doing much more.

I haven't watched Joker but hearing it is based on The King of Comedy already sets it up to be something much more that the vast majority and makes sense to why Scorsese has been asked about superhero movies in the way he has in the last few weeks.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Part of it is the name recognition of the Joker. If this were just a movie there would still be some consternation, but I don't think there would be such widespread attention. I saw it earlier today and there were actually prohibitions against wearing masks, face paint or costumes to the movie.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
You can be understanding, but also know what's happening isn't right.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
Because that is the logical connection to make when someone decides to make a movie featuring one of the most prolific and well-known fictional mass murderers in pop culture into a sad white man protagonist who just wanted to be loved. It's not a leap, it's not some kind of reach or hand-wringing concern trolling, it's the absolute natural response to those trailers in this political and social environment. And then when it turned out the guy who wrote and directed it had never even thought about that aspect of the subject matter, it got bigger because how much of a fucking idiot could Todd Phillips actually be? (Answer: Very much one.)

And on a side note, honestly the "the press did it because they want a mass shooting to happen" shit is disgusting and should be bannable. That's pure Trumpian "fake news" and "corrupt media" bullshit and isn't at all what happened here. Anyone saying shit like that is fucking pathetic.

No, it's not. There's more nuance here, and there's also precedent in the sense that the proto "incel" communities have in fact latched on to films they saw themselves in and used them as totems for advancing their viewpoints and indoctrinating vulnerable newcomers. The fact that Joker has no inherent viewpoint on its protagonist's monstrous actions, simply assuming the viewer will see it as abhorrent, makes it ripe for this adoption, much like Fight Club or American History X or the Hitler youth song in Cabaret. I don't think anyone will be shooting up a theater because of Joker, but it's going to become a touchstone for some very, very unsavory folks. Does that mean it shouldn't exist? Of course not, but nobody's actually saying that except dipshits trying to avoid the conversation that the film and its subject matter very plainly invites, whether the idiot who directed it understands that or not.
Yep, it's surprising how hard it is for people to grasp this.