• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't be worse than racism in the US
I don't know, is it worse when the racism exists but no one acknowledges it or gives a voice to its victims? Or when racism is at the forefront of society at all times, but those impacted by it have their voices more readily heard and have more of an impact in the society overall?

I legitimately can't answer that, but I do know that racism is equally prevalent and serious in virtually every country on this earth. Some places are just more honest about it (or rather, unable to obfuscate or hide it).

None of that negates the progress of most Nordic countries though. Their reforms and societies SHOULD be looked at aspirationally, because they produce better outcomes. The challenge is in achieving those same reforms in places that are less homogenous.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish we could turn California into Finland.
California could really use a Nordic approach to criminal justice. For such a nominally 'liberal' state it is one of the worst carceral states in the entire nation.

And that's not even getting into housing issues and homelessness (though obviously all these issues are connected.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Danish empire was engaged in the Atlantic slave trade as late as 1848 after the British empire had already pulled out.

Yes - I will repeat my question in a form of a question: Is your claim that relatively speaking the Nordic countries have engaged more in colonialism and relatively benefited more of appropriation by disposession in the Global South than some "Western Country X" and that this would somehow be an explicating factor for relative position in a "happiness index"?

To me your argument seems to amount to "well they have not built their positions in the index outside of capitalism and capital accumulation", which seems a rather superfluous statement.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I think it would be a great start for the US to have a unified health care system. You have no idea what huge relief having a safety net like that is.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
That doesn't make racism disappear, which is what the post I replied implies. Despite all the racism within Switzerland the social state is still decades ahead of US.
Yeah, there is discrimination even between italian-speaking Swiss and Northern Italians... and they are basically the same fucking people.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I don't know, is it worse when the racism exists but no one acknowledges it or gives a voice to its victims? Or when racism is at the forefront of society at all times, but those impacted by it have their voices more readily heard and have more of an impact in the society overall?

I would personally say that having actual detention centers at the border where innocent immigrants are dying is worse than that, yes.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
While these countries are awesome (Sweden too) and do a lot of things the right way, it's always a bit iffy comparing them to the US, with 130 Million more inhabitants (than whole Scandinavia together) in certain things.

Hitmeneer

Oct 30, 2017
The Nordic countries are basically what happens when white privilege becomes an entire country. They profit on the backs of other countries and all the white people get to reap the rewards.

Ah yes, the USA, the one and only country that definitely did not get build on the backs of other countries or of slaves..... /s

Like many western countries, the Nordic countries profited of the backs of other countries, but that is definitely NOT the reason why they are happier than the USA. As they both practiced the same exploitation of other countries, it has something to do with maybe their social - economic system? Social democratic policies vs hardcore capitalism?

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Of course there are many problems in Finland but free public healthcare and education should be basic human rights.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We have problems like any country. But I'm still glad that we have the safety nets in place that we have. Hope more places in the world get something similar soon.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I keep having this nagging thought that that kind of cultural happiness isn't possible in a multicultural society. We reap the benefits of a large, broad workforce with different views but underneath it all we just aren't willing to help those that differ too much from us.

Before it was all race based and it still kind of is but now it's probably equally class based as well. We just don't trust our neighbors the way a homogenous society does.
Sweden has a 30% part of the population being none white.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great video that was posted just a couple hours ago:

- Giving birth it's almost free. Hospital treats you like royalty. You get a free box packed with 63 items for the baby's first year.
- Generous parental leave (10 months)
- People are not punished for taking breaks to change careers
- Higher taxes, but that means free education (college) and healthcare
- Low crime rates
- Wealth is balanced (not too many rich people, no extreme poverty)
- Better work/life balance

Watching it makes me depressed about how fucked up the US is. Healthcare, education, social security.... to think people used to believe the US was the best country to migrate to. This could be farther from the truth now.
They are also very homogeneous.

So you know. Don't look at Denmark's definition for a ghetto either.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This is a great video that was posted just a couple hours ago:

- Giving birth it's almost free. Hospital treats you like royalty. You get a free box packed with 63 items for the baby's first year.
- Generous parental leave (10 months)

These are nice, but don't really make sense.

The birth rate in Denmark and Finland is low; lower than the US. If having kids is a pleasant experience in these countries, why aren't couples having more of them?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
*sigh*

I only ever hear "But it is not possible in the US because [...]" for EVERY issue the US has.
Healthcare, Incarceration, Guns, murderous cops, Prison system, Voting system, Railways, freaking Imperial system, Sidewalks, Education, etc.
Defeatist from the start.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

The birth rate in Denmark and Finland is low; lower than the US. If having kids is a pleasant experience in these countries, why aren't couples having more of them?
Maybe because having kids is not vital to personal happiness if the country is already pretty happy.

This is anecdotal but as a scandinavian, I know plenty of people who are not at all interested in having kids.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
America is so bizarre. People go mad at the thought of taxes but seemingly happy with huge charges for healthcare thanks to being so incensed at paying a bit of their wages in tax which, as all evidence shows with a decent system, would be far cheaper for them. People also MAD that you dare take away their rights to be shafted by huge soulless evil corporations.

Also shame on all of you trying to somehow pardon the USA here and make excuses. I'm pretty sure most economists would say smaller systems are actually more costly to operate per head than a larger system. Setting up healthcare for a couple million people will cost more per head than a system serving tens of millions, surely supply and demand and costs go down with larger systems. Also any arguments about cost are null and void give the fact the US system actually costs your government MORE to operate than most other countries with far worse results and people still needing to pay huge sums. The only winner big pharma and health insurance. Like get a grip.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Maybe because having kids is not vital to personal happiness if the country is already pretty happy.

This is anecdotal but as a scandinavian, I know plenty of people who are not at all interested in having kids.

Sure. But what does that have to do with anything?

The OP made the claim that the benefits given to new parents was a major factor contributing to the happiness gap between the US and Finland/Denmark.

I don't think there's any evidence for that.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
lol what a lie some Europeans believe
I see far less minorities straight up murdered by cowardly police who then get paid time off and get away with it over here than over there. There it seems to be a fucking "Achivement Unlocked" for your fucking police, and society just keeps letting it fly. When things like that do happen over here it's usually treated as the huge story it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sure. But what does that have to do with anything?

The OP made the claim that the benefits given to new parents was a major factor contributing to the happiness gap between the US and Finland/Denmark.

I don't think there's any evidence for that.
I don't see any conflict in there. For those that desire to have kids, knowing that you're not going to be sucked dry financially for one of if not the biggest events of your life can boost happiness stats.

But the choice of not having kids is more about the current life situation (such as general happiness) rather than practical matters.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Size is a huge issue. It creates a divide between rural and urban that is impossible in Europe. It also makes infrastructure changes exponentially more expensive and promotes continuity above change.

Please.

sjLHiAT.png

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Bullshit anyone in Denmark or Finland are happier than me.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

They are lower because the overall population lives wealthier. That's why birthrates decreased in industrialized countries and are decreasing sharply in other places.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Finland has it's problems, but I do have lot of appreciation over the social welfare systems that we have. There are lot of safety nets that make sure everyone stays afloat to some degree.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
The Nordic countries are basically what happens when white privilege becomes an entire country. They profit on the backs of other countries and all the white people get to reap the rewards.

At least regarding of Finland you should study history a bit. We became independent only little over 100 years ago and before that suffered from colonialism under Russian Empire and before that under Swedish Empire. We also fought two deadly wars during second world war. Finland was basically poor developing country until 60s.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I keep having this nagging thought that that kind of cultural happiness isn't possible in a multicultural society. We reap the benefits of a large, broad workforce with different views but underneath it all we just aren't willing to help those that differ too much from us.

Before it was all race based and it still kind of is but now it's probably equally class based as well. We just don't trust our neighbors the way a homogenous society does.
It is certainly more difficult, because the dominant class doesn't want the benefits to go to those who are different. Case in point, the moment the Nordic countries have immigration, the social services have become much less of a priority and neo-Nazi parties are on the rise.
Sure but the real issue is that we dont trust taxes.
Probably because they go to "different" people...

Jul 24, 2018
Nothing's perfect, Denmark certainly isn't. It's still got lots of problems with racism even with its Social Democratic government, social dumping, education is free but entry requirements are strict and the waiting times to get surgery is unbearable sometimes. Honestly when I look at the United States I see a country that is a lot more accepting and open to people who are different which is based solely on the fact that the US is a melting pot of several cultures. Relative speaking, unless you live in the capital of Copenhagen, chances are you won't find as many people to be accepting of LGBT people or immigrants. Even with an extremely racist President such as Trump, I'd say the US is still better but then again it's a massive country too.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This notion that most Europeans think there's no racism in their countries is so ignorant. Also, the homogeneity of Europe is extremely exaggerated in threads like these. Almost like people are desperately looking for excuses for misplaced patriotism.

I also find the notion that multiculturalism somehow restrains happiness very suspect. It's basically an extreme-right talking point so I don't know why it's parotted so often.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing's perfect, Denmark certainly isn't. It's still got lots of problems with racism even with its Social Democratic government, social dumping, education is free but entry requirements are strict and the waiting times to get surgery is unbearable sometimes. Honestly when I look at the United States I see a country that is a lot more accepting and open to people who are different which is based solely on the fact that the US is a melting pot of several cultures. Relative speaking, unless you live in the capital of Copenhagen, chances are you won't find as many people to be accepting of LGBT people or immigrants. Even with an extremely racist President such as Trump, I'd say the US is still better but then again it's a massive country too.
You don't see police going around shooting minorities in the nordics.