• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
The lack of X-Men was a big problem. (Not the only problem, but a big problem.)
Feel that it wasn't that big of a problem. If the game looked better and actually had newer characters it wouldn't be a big problem.

People wanted Daredevil, Punisher and just some of the recent characters who have gotten their time to shine in the MCU or newer animated series.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Feel that it wasn't that big of a problem. If the game looked better and actually had newer characters it wouldn't be a big problem.

People wanted Daredevil, Punisher and just some of the recent characters who have gotten their time to shine in the MCU or newer animated series.

The X-Men were a big part of Capcom's Marvel games. Them not being in MvC:I was a huge loss.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The roster was limited and lacked a ton of MVC fan-favorites (especially with its dreadful X-Men representation). It also didn't have enough interesting deep cuts. The Capcom side was okay, but the Marvel side was extremely bland.

As for the graphics, they looked a generation behind. Actually, even if it was a PS3 game it would have still been pretty rough looking, primarily because it was trying to mesh two different aesthetic styles together. It just doesn't work and ends up looking very cheap as a direct result.

When you are a sequel to a game that looks better and has a much better roster, the question on everyone's lips is "why play this 'sequel' at all?"

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of story mode, the quickest way to demonstrate what's wrong is to do a comparison of the first chapter to something like the Netherrealm games.

Here's how it goes in something like Mortal Kombat or Injustice - you get an opening cutscene to set the stage, and then you're given control of a character, usually a well-known character, and you fight for several standard fights (normally three). Your opponents will be a selection of the other characters in the game, sometimes with special conditions applied. You'll usually have short cutscenes to briefly explain why you're fighting those particular characters. After you defeat them you play against a boss/rival character and then you swap to playing as someone else. You spend long enough with each character to learn at least the basics, but not long enough for them to get boring if it turns out you hate them.

Now let's look at how MvCI opens its story.

It's 88 days since the convergence. It's probably pretty obvious to MvC fans what that is, but this is not explained. The game opens in media res. The characters all know each other so if you don't know any of them, tough shit. You do start off with a relatively iconic team (Captain America and Mega Man X), but you're against generic Ultron bots. You smash them to bits in seconds.

Then it plays a cutscene showing Chun Li and Captain Marvel smashing more Ultron bots. More Ultron bots arrive in a cutscene and get smashed as well. Despite the game clearly establishing these bots as zero threat, the next fight is just you, as Chun Li and Captain Marvel, against more Ultron bots.

Next up, Thor and Arthur vs Ultron bots, then Rocket and Dante vs Ultron bots. The cutscenes between these fights make it clear that the characters have a plan, but you don't have a clue what it is. They're doing the stupid thing where they talk around their objective to avoid spoiling things for the player, but that just makes it difficult to care what's going on.

After that, Thor and Mega Man X against "Xgardians". It's not too difficult to figure out what these are, but the game doesn't bother to stop and tell you. There's another fight against Ultron bots and Xgardians, and then you fight Ultron Sigma who has cheats on and who will stomp you, and then you head back to Avengers Tower for some exposition.

So quick recap - in six fights (which probably last for a minute of gameplay time each), you play as I think nine characters, against two tutorial characters. You haven't had time to learn how to play as anyone. Unless you like a wide swathe of the roster, you've probably been forced into several team-ups with at least one character you dislike. You've only fought against one named character and he's destroyed you. You have no idea what's happening with the storyline - you probably guessed what the Convergence is but even if so, the game's opening scene tells you that you've missed 88 days worth of plot developments, and there's almost no effort made to start filling in that gap.

It's a mess, from scene-setting to plot progression to how it ties into gameplay.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The X-Men were a big part of Capcom's Marvel games. Them not being in the game was a huge loss.

Yep. The X-Men literally have been there in marvel FG's since the beginning all the way back to 94'. They've been in EVERY single game except MVC:I. People wouldn't have gotten so pissed off a the "functions" remark in the first place if they didn't matter.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
The PR for the game was as bad as a garbage fire as the actual game was as well.

It gave us this gem though.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
In terms of story mode, the quickest way to demonstrate what's wrong is to do a comparison of the first chapter to something like the Netherrealm games.

Here's how it goes in something like Mortal Kombat or Injustice - you get an opening cutscene to set the stage, and then you're given control of a character, usually a well-known character, and you fight for several standard fights (normally three). Your opponents will be a selection of the other characters in the game, sometimes with special conditions applied. You'll usually have short cutscenes to briefly explain why you're fighting those particular characters. After you defeat them you play against a boss/rival character and then you swap to playing as someone else. You spend long enough with each character to learn at least the basics, but not long enough for them to get boring if it turns out you hate them.

Now let's look at how MvCI opens its story.

It's 88 days since the convergence. It's probably pretty obvious to MvC fans what that is, but this is not explained. The game opens in media res. The characters all know each other so if you don't know any of them, tough shit. You do start off with a relatively iconic team (Captain America and Mega Man X), but you're against generic Ultron bots. You smash them to bits in seconds.

Then it plays a cutscene showing Chun Li and Captain Marvel smashing more Ultron bots. More Ultron bots arrive in a cutscene and get smashed as well. Despite the game clearly establishing these bots as zero threat, the next fight is just you, as Chun Li and Captain Marvel, against more Ultron bots.

Next up, Thor and Arthur vs Ultron bots, then Rocket and Dante vs Ultron bots. The cutscenes between these fights make it clear that the characters have a plan, but you don't have a clue what it is. They're doing the stupid thing where they talk around their objective to avoid spoiling things for the player, but that just makes it difficult to care what's going on.

After that, Thor and Mega Man X against "Xgardians". It's not too difficult to figure out what these are, but the game doesn't bother to stop and tell you. There's another fight against Ultron bots and Xgardians, and then you fight Ultron Sigma who has cheats on and who will stomp you, and then you head back to Avengers Tower for some exposition.

So quick recap - in six fights (which probably last for a minute of gameplay time each), you play as I think nine characters, against two tutorial characters. You haven't had time to learn how to play as anyone. Unless you like a wide swathe of the roster, you've probably been forced into several team-ups with at least one character you dislike. You've only fought against one named character and he's destroyed you. You have no idea what's happening with the storyline - you probably guessed what the Convergence is but even if so, the game's opening scene tells you that you've missed 88 days worth of plot developments, and there's almost no effort made to start filling in that gap.

It's a mess, from scene-setting to plot progression to how it ties into gameplay.

The story mode still bothers me so much and this is a perfect example as to why. Could've been the one thing that saved the game at least somewhat, but nope. The fact that the idea of the convergence is more interesting than what they show is just awful. The uninteresting levels to fight on don't help either.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least you can say that the whole function controversy was big enough for Marvel to backpedal on the X-Men/F4 ban in future titles.

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Still can't believe the fuckery surrounding the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters.

The roster was boring as shit too. Some of the characters they brought back didn't even make sense. Nemesis, Dormamu, Firebrand, Spencer and Nova? What sort of synergy do they have with modern movies and games. I'm guessing that Capcom didn't care as much about that as Marvel did. I have to believe that some characters were chosen so they wouldn't have to develop new concepts and animations.

Most of the new MCU-inspired characters didn't excite me in the least bit. Winter Soldier, Gamora, Black Widow and Ultron felt like some of the more boring characters you'd pick. Black Panther (and Monster Hunter) desperately needed to be part of the main roster.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Bad graphics, mostly. My issue with the roster is that it was clear they were going to try to sell me the cool characters as DLC later on. I get that Firebrand is a tough sell, but nobody's going to be impressed when your launch roster is made up of characters you didn't think people would buy as DLC.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
No Xmen was a huge fuck up considering the origin of the serie. I couldn't believe it...

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem was not launching AFTER Infinity War, instead of 6 months prior.

Move it 9 months later and it probably sells dumb amounts despite the issues because of the branding tie in.
People forget the game still has sold 1.5 million copies. Sure it's not close to what it was supposed to make, but it's pretty good for the flop of the generation.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If I'm not wrong, they started to focus more on the X-Men back again before the Fox thing. Also, it took time for it to be approved.

Or I may be confusing dates.

I think they started being more lenient once it was clear they'd probably get the film rights back, but that wasn't nearly soon enough to help the game.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can I just say, replacing the catchy videogame-y tunes (some of which were taken from previous Capcom VS games) with bland 'epic' movie score for the Marvel side, and dull and generic dubstep remixes for the Capcom side goes unmentioned way too often?

Just compare:
Iron Man in MvC3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNNQBAj10n4
Iron Man in MvCI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdqiJQoO134
Hulk in MvC3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljmBUo7Szg
Hulk in MvCI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfiLrAxhf5g
Dr. Strange in MvC3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDto2B8vN4
Dr. Strange in MvCI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMaZa27eKW0

Like, you can say what you want about the MvC3 songs - whether you like them or not - but they are catchy and memorable. But the MvCI tunes? Bleh.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest blow was DBFZ touting everything a marvel game should be just without marvel or Capcom characters

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fugly with no personality on sound and visuals
no 3vs3
gimped character roster compared to earlier games

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to truly understand how terrible the Capcom side of the roster is. People obviously want to focus on the Marvel side (for good reason) but the Capcom side is just as bad.

Just think about this: The only new Capcom series represented in MvCI was a DLC character. Everyone else was from a series that was in MvC3.

Hell, the Capcom side LOST some series between UMvC3 and this and nothing was done to make up for it.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Semi-related but god I wish Marvel would put Dr.Doom back in the forefront as a tier 1 marketed villain (movies, games, etc) he's so friggin badass.

ZNAtpaf.png

ZOARMwF.png

Last edited:

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Roster was a big issue for me, especially after that "the characters don't matter, if we have a new character who has he same abilities and function" BS PR line.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually loved just about every new character (in other words I don't hate the roster like most people), but the overall aesthetic wasn't there due to the art style and the story was a huge disappointment. Can't say I remember a single song either and I just played around with it again maybe two months back.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I think people need to truly understand how terrible the Capcom side of the roster is. People obviously want to focus on the Marvel side (for good reason) but the Capcom side is just as bad.

Just think about this: The only new Capcom series represented in MvCI was a DLC character. Everyone else was from a series that was in MvC3.

Hell, the Capcom side LOST some series between UMvC3 and this and nothing was done to make up for it.

MVCI has fucking Nemesis as its RE villain rep instead of Wesker. That's how fucked this game is.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So much of this game falls back on its budget. The roster is a key example of that. Even with Marvel regulations at the time, the capcom side could've been unique and fresh. Yet it's about as boring as you can get with the majority of it being returnees no one asked and not even new designs to go with them.

Wow, DMC3 dante and RE5 Chris again.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
No Magneto, no Vergil! bound to fail haha.
Like everyone says the budget, the game does look ass but the gameplay is so good ;/
Plus it was cool to hate Capcom at that time, doing the contrary was social media suicide.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Echoing the obvious problems mentioned several times already, they also talked up the game as being DLC character central.

A great idea in theory. Who wouldn't want UMvC3 to be supported with DLC characters for several years? Marvel vs Capcom could and SHOULD be a platform of its own. But with MvCI, the base package is so unappealing it hurts. The vast majority of the roster being ported from 3, and then having to pay a premium for 6 sorely needed original characters (that were probably ready before the game was released). Who is happy to pay $90 for that? Then have to wait god knows how long for the missing fan favorites to be sold at the same premium?

And in the end, the game would be abandoned after the aforementioned 6 characters released a few months later. Never to be mentioned again, swept under the rug like it didn't exist. That most certainly won't win you any customers.

The gameplay is amazing, but the design decisions are a perfect storm of stupid.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Lack of advertising marvel forcing the game out the door too early. The artstyle being atrocious turning people away from the game. The roster being mostly marvel characters and not the right picks. Random roster cuts as well. Them effectively dropping the marvel u3 stlyle and doing something like 2's style of gameplay The only good thing about this game was it's gameplay and that's it. Everything was rushed to meet a deadline and everyone knew the game wasn't finished artwise Dante's melted face being the first thing people saw also turned off alot of people as well. This also sucked too since they had the assets lying around from marvel 3 but they failed to drop them in and kind of fucked themselves over by making entirely new assets.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i could write a book

but mainly:

1. looked like shit
2. terrible roster without x-men even though the versus series started with x-men
3. low budget
4. not fun to play
5. dragon ball fighterz was marketed/released simultaneously and completely shit on marvel infinite in every single way

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
i could write a book

but mainly:

1. looked like shit
2. terrible roster without x-men even though the versus series started with x-men
3. low budget
4. not fun to play
5. dragon ball fighterz was marketed/released simultaneously and completely shit on marvel infinite in every single way

1. Barely a step up over 3 while most of the character models were way worst.

2. The roaster wasn't that bad, but coming from umvc3 it felt very lackluster indeed.

3. Yup

4. Well at the very least, compared to 2 or 3. The issue for me was that it didn't even felt like an evolution from umvc3, nor like a worthy sidestep. It feels like a forced sequel with nothing interesting to offer compared to its prequel.

5. Didn't DBZ release significantly later?

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
3 paths.

A: Go for the MCU money. Only use MCU characters, ask Disney for the digital scans, market to the max, make truckloads of money from casual moviegoers. Add comic characters in DLC.
B: Go for your core base. Crazy comic characters, crazy powers, no limits.

They choose C.

C: Activision No budget, no quality, *shrug*