• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone ever feel he had much more to offer? Yeah he had already amassed one of the great songwriting libraries of all time by that young age and had nothing left to prove but I always found it shocking that he has not recorded a new album of pop music in nearly 3 decades

River of Dreams (the album) was a banger to go out on

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
"Some people think it's because I'm lazy or I'm just being contrary," he said. "But, no, I think it's just -- I've had my say. If I put out an album now, it would probably sell pretty well, because of who I am, but that's no reason to do it. I'd want it to be good."
Oct 21, 2014

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because people still fucking love him and his music to the point he still sells out Madison Square Garden every time he puts on a new show.

Gorgamel

Oct 25, 2017
Billy Joel Appreciation Thread? Billy Joel Appreciation Thread!

My favorite underrated Billy Joel song:

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like he retreated from public life. He toured extensively and had a killer discography to draw from at that point.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love the story of how Rock Band got Billy Joel in the game after never allowing his original recordings to be used in video games.

"Joel changed his mind when he happened to see a review in Entertainment Weekly about an episode of The Office. In the episode, middle management icon Michael Scott pines about a Billy Joel Rock Band game.

In the episode's review, the critic wrote "something like, 'God forbid that ever should happen,'" said Joel. "So I called my people and said, 'Get me [in] that Rock Band game.' Then I wrote the critic, saying that every time I get a check, I'll give him a little nod." "

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i remember his "farewell tour" i was like LOL yeah sure bud, "last tour" uh huh

then my astonishment it actually was. i guess he was legit done with it

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the story of how Rock Band got Billy Joel in the game after never allowing his original recordings to be used in video games.

"Joel changed his mind when he happened to see a review in Entertainment Weekly about an episode of The Office. In the episode, middle management icon Michael Scott pines about a Billy Joel Rock Band game.

In the episode's review, the critic wrote "something like, 'God forbid that ever should happen,'" said Joel. "So I called my people and said, 'Get me [in] that Rock Band game.' Then I wrote the critic, saying that every time I get a check, I'll give him a little nod." "
That's too good.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The story behind the writing of Leningrad is so beautiful. Love Billy Joel. His piano work on "Root Beer Rag" and "Prelude/Angry Young Man" is unrivaled.

mils

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Low-effort troll posts in multiple threads
He did the world a favor. Billy Joel fucking sucks.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
He learned his lesson from the jokes about old singers playing new stuff at concerts.

I mean, what's the newest song you want to hear at a concert from singers and bands that have been around for 20+ years? Sometimes, they get a hit, but it's rare and far between. Usually, the "new album" songs are bathroom break music.

Billy Joel was getting paid plenty to play the same damn songs to the same people for 30 years. All he has to worry about is his DWI lawyer, and he is fine.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In a world where countless singers, musicians and bands in their twilight years continue to fart out subpar material seemingly just for the sake of cashing in on their loyal fans, I admire the guy for saying "Hey, I got nothing new or interesting left in me, so I'll just play the hits until I'm dead."

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Omg, been listening to his songs lately and wondered the same. River of Dreams is good though. Did he record the Perfect Strangers theme?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Billy Joel is fucking awesome, and it's both sad and admirable that he's one of miraculously few artists that has enough self awareness to know when to stop.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Also, I love this clip of him performing in Moscow. I guess when the lights were out people felt comfortable dancing, but the venue would turn them on and everyone would stop. He flips the fuck out but doesn't miss a beat in the song.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
He put out hit after hit for a long time. I'd imagine he either wasn't satisfied with what he was writing or he thought "eh that's enough." I guarantee the guy continued to write music, but probably just for himself as a hobby. You can't just stop writing if its something you love.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to the radio-friendly hits, he's got a pretty diverse catalog of excellent songs too. There's not much he hasn't accomplished both creatively and financially.