• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Don't know man. I've got it preordered with shop delivery. Hopefully
Be reassured. The people who have pre-orderer at the fnac in " relais colis " have the delivery auto modified by the fnac for a home delivery if the " relais colis " is closed.. If the fnac need to closed and the shop pick up close too, the fnac will send the console at your home :)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
All I can think of is certain customs rules in various member states, but that's all I got as to why.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be reassured. The people who have pre-orderer at the fnac in " relais colis " have the delivery auto modified by the fnac for a home delivery if the " relais colis " is closed.. If the fnac need to closed and the shop pick up close too, the fnac will send the console at your home :)
Im not using relais colis. Fnac pick up. Shop. But hopefully it's gonna be ok

actually I have 1 serie x and 1 ps5 on both Fnac and amazon. My friend and myself. Obviously he's gonna get the Fnac one 😅

Necron

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Logistical and regulatory reasons maybe.

That said, with the recent lockdowns happening that's about to get a whole lot more complicated.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So that PSN dosen't crash is my guess though Sony are taking a bit of a gamble on this, they will sell more but Sony are giving Microsoft 9 Free days in Europe...that's may be a bit of a bad idea.

Logistics and COVID are things. If in the next week more countries in EU go into lockdown, can see them moving the date for distribution reasons similar to what Square Enix did with FF7Remake.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
All I can think of is certain customs rules in various member states, but that's all I got as to why.
No, its probably a logistics issue. Customs are they same for all 27 member states, thats the whole point :D
Maybe they weren't sure they could get the consoles where they needed to be and just pushed the launch back a week. I remember they said in the beginning of the year that they wanted to do a global launch. Covid sucks

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing new for Sony. They have treated Europe very bad for a long ass time. Everything are way more expensive, whether the console itself or the games and as an extra bonus, Europeans gets it later too! Europe always gets the short end of the stick.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Eh that's not true at all? We had a "second Wave" just a few days after the first one on many major Retailers.
Oh, then I obviously missed it. Was it again between 3 and 6 in the morning?
I didn't even receive an alarm/notification, so I thought that the PS5 would still not be available at all at Amazon.de, Mediamarkt and Co.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
If they are adding an extra million plus new consoles at the same time that is absolutely going to put them under load -- it would put anyone under load.

Those consoles won't all go on at the same. Plus a substantial number of early adopters are PS4 owners so it won't be their current average load of PS4s+new PS5s. There will be less PS4s on as those early adopters jump on their new toys.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
It's almost like we're in pandemic times and European country logistics pose a greater challenge due to Europe having many countries with different laws, distribution routes and whatnot. One week later? Get outta here!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It's entirely personal op. Sony just don't like you much so they're making everyone wait to make you suffer one more week.

I mean there is a pandemic on in case you've forgotten? so I imagine it's entirely down to supplies, deliveries etc. Logistics

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
It feels really selfish but I keep checking my uk order still on track. Just found out on Saturday so I'll have plenty of time to play the thing if the thing still comes on the plus side.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Because Sony wants to reduce their distribution strain. They know that EU (except UK) is locked up and no ground will be lost to MS by delaying by a week

I believe this is the answer. Can't delay in US as it's the most contested. Won't delay in home territory (Japan) if at all possible as it just looks bad. Sony knows most of the EU will not go anywhere else no matter what they do so why not delay there to take some of the pressure off.

Shaft

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I do wonder if stores in the EU will just send their stock/sell in stores as soon as they get it in, provided it's after the 12th. I mean would Sony really care?

I half expect to receive my pre-order sooner than the 19th, not by much, but maybe a day or two.

davygee

Jun 13, 2020
Not read all the comments, but logistically there are serious problems with shipping etc at the moment. It is affecting everything and essential goods are getting priority over all other imports. This is probably a key factor and I fully expect low shipping numbers in the UK for a wee while.

Although I hope they pickup in late November to early December in time for Xmas.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Europe is Tier 2.

But all all seriousness?

Playstation Network

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox isn't threat in EU. Safe to delay.

One week delay isn't biggest problem, you might have to wait 4 months to get your preorder due to limited stock anyways. (at least in Nordics)

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe this is the answer. Can't delay in US as it's the most contested. Won't delay in home territory (Japan) if at all possible as it just looks bad. Sony knows most of the EU will not go anywhere else no matter what they do so why not delay there to take some of the pressure off.
Japan isn't their home territory anymore, and the PS4 came 3 months late there anyway

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Japan isn't their home territory anymore, and the PS4 came 3 months late there anyway

First, Wikipedia still says their HQ is in Tokyo. Maybe that's wrong?

Secondly, maybe they feel like they need to give Japan more attention since the Switch's lifetime sales overtook PS4s last year. Maybe they feel like making that territory second-fiddle last time played some part in that state of affairs. I don't think it did but they might not want to take chances. How does Switch vs. PS4 stack up in EU?

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First, Wikipedia still says their HQ is in Tokyo. Maybe that's wrong?

Secondly, maybe they feel like they need to give Japan more attention since the Switch's lifetime sales overtook PS4s last year. Maybe they feel like making that territory second-fiddle last time played some part in that state of affairs. I don't think it did but they might not want to take chances. How does Switch vs. PS4 stack up in EU?
Sony Corp is HQ'd in Tokyo, but Sony is a massive conglomerate who owns many different companies.

Sony Interactive Entertainment, the company that owns PlayStation is HQ'd in California. So the PlayStation "home territory" is actually North America.

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My 3 week ban is up, and I would like to apologise for my "joke" that resulted in my ban. It was never meant to offend anyone, and I would like to apologise to anyone that I DID offend.
I guess sometimes my humour can be an acquired taste, or quite simply that of poor taste so I hope to work on this aspect on public forums.

Again, sorry for any offence.