• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Sony hates the EU. 👀
1st this.
2nd do you remember the time, when the PAL regions had to wait almost a year until gameboy/NES or the ps1/ps2 hit european markets...

the same was for releases of certain games.
smash bros. or final fantasy usually were released almost a 6+months after or some rpgs were never released.
1 week is nothing.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason is simple, Sony dominates Europe, they can afford to delay PS5 launch for a week and focus on the US/Japan where they face more competition. Same goes for the price of PS5 games in Europe.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Please Sony, bless us with that early release in EU to make sure everyone gets their console in time during the lockdown. (like Square Enix did with FF7r)

One can only hope!

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
according to rumors... you could be looking at a week or 2 more..
LOL they will sell them November 19... don't believe rumors, nothing will stop it except a complete lockdown in Europe.

@Op:
It is just about logictics and giving first full attention to the US, being the biggest market and a market where Xbox will give them problems.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
At least there's no more PAL/NTSC shit anymore. I hated having the interior pal system for racing/fighting games.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It's going to be a mess in France. The biggest distribution channel for consoles used to be supermarkets, but since libraries and other non essential stores complained to the government for unfair competition, the supermarkets won't be allowed to sell culture and other non essential items (so, no next gen consoles) .

NES came 4 years late
SNES came 1.5 years late
PCEngine came 2 years late
Megadrive came 2 years late
PSX came a little less than a year late

A week doesn't feel like much to me

Last edited:

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I've had PlayStation consoles since forever, but they've always done the bare minimum in Europe compared to NA. A smaller example is them closing the blog and just sending all Europeans to the NA blog (which they now pretend is a "worldwide" blog).
That's your point of view.

They clearly never did the bare minimum in Europe, that's why they dominated Xbox in most countries for over 20 years. It wasn't luck.

Also PlayStation CEO and the head of WWS are from Europe.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
US market is a priority to them.

I think there had to be an option where EU gets the consoles earlier, or both EU and NA get them at the same time, but maybe in less quantities. But the US market is probably more profitable, so understandably they'd rather delay the EU release.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
at least you're assured of getting it just one week later! here in the philippines and the rest of southeast asia, we don't even know if we'll get the damn thing this year!

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I for one welcome that our "American Overlords" Beta tests the consoles for a week.. let them brick their consoles and tell us what NOT to do with a PS5.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Personally I think it's more about PSN than actually getting the consoles out to people this time around.

panty

Dec 12, 2017
Helsinki
We have to wait a lot longer than one week. If you didn't pre-order around jan-feb you can say goodbye to a PS5 during launch or even before christmas.

It's insane.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
arent MS products translated in finnish and overall all european languages? Honest question I don't know.

Also I don't think how many consoles they regulary sell in each country is that important right now, they are selling what they have, and both companies have already sold all their stock, which is in both cases extremelly limited (for obvious reasons).

Basic manuals probably are but their games at least are not (neither are Nintendo games).

Also I mean obviously bigger the launch harder it's to accomplish. For example if you have to provide over a million units pretty evenly distributed to bunch of countries in Europe instead of 300k units where focus is on few countries (numbers are out of my ass but serve as an example). Obviously first scenario is harder to do.

We have to wait a lot longer than one week. If you didn't pre-order around jan-feb you can say goodbye to a PS5 during launch or even before christmas.

It's insane.

yeah. Just read news report from one of the biggest finnish retailers (Gigantti) that it will probably take until march that you can just walk in to the store and get PS5 from store shelves. With Xbox Series S is available from day one and even with Series X there is some hope that you can buy one from store before christmas. And this is with PS5 probably having way more supply.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Why has Japan to wait until today or 2 weeks before release for confirmation of pre-orders? And why was there no pre-order but only pre-order lottery?
EU pre-orders knew they were getting a PS5 like 2 months before release.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it that much, it will give a one week window to cancel if everyone's PS5 somehow starts catching fire.

I'm a lot more wary of a lockdown related delay tbh.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
People are so desperate they are imagining it's being pushed a week earlier now.

We just need to be patient.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In France we are in lockdown again. But partially. Yet November 15 they might increase it and big retailers like fnac may close again. It would be smart to change the date a week earlier

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It's their biggest market isn't it? It's certainly their competition's. Sucks for the rest of us, but a week isn't the end of the world.

I'm pretty sure the EU is Sony's single biggest market. Unless you're comparing America against the individual European countries. Europe single handily kept the PS3 competitive when it was getting pulverised in the States by the competition.

Kirudo

May 1, 2020
not only the EU, the rest of the world has to wait another week, in Latin America I suppose it is due to logistical issues the same

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Does it matter? Only people that ordered on the first day maybe get one, there was no 2nd or 3rd wave in Germany and very likely no actual hardware in the stores.
But like Xando said, the mail looks real, so it's possible for some lucky german people.
Well, if they are doing this in Germany, maybe there's a chance for other European countries too

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair that media markt e-mail looks real

I think its fake, someone photoshopped PS5 product number onto an e-mail for accessories that were pushed to 12.11 from a placeholder date in September. Also got two such e-mails (for DualSense and charging dock) and they are word-for-word same as this presumabley PS5 e-mail.
They got the product number right though, it is indeed one for PS5, so there is hope, I guess.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Does it matter? Only people that ordered on the first day maybe get one, there was no 2nd or 3rd wave in Germany and very likely no actual hardware in the stores.
But like Xando said, the mail looks real, so it's possible for some lucky german people.

Eh that's not true at all? We had a "second Wave" just a few days after the first one on many major Retailers.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a one week delay. Here in SE Asia (ezxcept SG), we don't even know if it's coming out this year! Holy crap!

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's going to be a mess in France. The biggest distribution channel for consoles used to be supermarkets, but since libraries and other non essential stores complained to the government for unfair competition, the supermarkets won't be allowed to sell culture and other non essential items (so, no next gen consoles) .
No-contact pickup is still allowed for now, so as there should not be any real stock available outside of pre-orders, this won't matter at all.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just relieved the PS5 comes out before a no-deal Brexit shuts Dover down for god knows how long.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is only one screenshot of a Media Markt mail floating around. No one else on Twitter etc. received the mail. #TeamFake all the way. I pre-ordered at MM, so I'd love it to be true, though.