• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
They view the US market as more of a priority.

That's not the case. It's a logistic/distribution issue.
In US Thanksgiving is an important celebration, even more than Christmas for some, so they want to be on the market for that (end of November).
In EU the most important holiday is Christmas so they're not risking of missing an important holiday/celebration.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
That's not the case. It's a logistic/distribution issue.
In US Thanksgiving is an important celebration, even more than Christmas for some, so they want to be on the market for that (end of November).
In EU the most important holiday is Christmas so they're not risking of missing an important holiday/celebration.

You just agreed with me, lol.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry? Care to elaborate?
Probably COVID? UK and some other countries are entering strict lockdown, but I'm speculating here.
I can't really see a delay, Microsoft can pull this one out but Sony can't? Lots of influencers already got consoles, I heard that people preordered from Sony Store in Russia already getting confirmations for 19th. We should be fine.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Sony knows it has EU on lock so it can fuck us over similiar with prices

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
They know Europe doesn't really care about other consoles, so they can prioritize other regions.

Yes, they know this market is already won. The main stronghold Xbox had was the UK in the 360 era, but it's over now after Xbox One woes. There isn't a single European country left where PlayStation isn't leading by a good margin.

Makes sense prioritizing the US for them.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
the real launch is during 2021 anyway, who cares if some hundred people get their console week later

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
To ensure that there is not a whole shitload of new consoles being loaded onto PSN at once. A staged rollout helps for that.
Out of curiosity, why is your avatar a picture of Angus Robertson?

And just to contribute to the conversation; shipping logistics. I can see the new UK lockdown resulting in a short delay for deliveries as well, so we could actually be looking at the 23rd instead.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Something about countries going into lockdown.. and that makes the logistic situation even more demanding.. but it is an unconfirmed rumor...

Covid19 is fucking with our lives every day.. so who knows..

I can't see it being a problem logistically. The main issue will be on the retail side of it. Here in the UK Computer game shops will be closed and will not be able to sell anything in store. It seems GAME are taking payment early and then offering a click and collect service on launch. I would imagine most retailers will continue to offer online sales though so it will be a case of lottery on where you ha e your pre orders.

I just hope amazon don't move to essential items only as they did in the previous lockdown at times.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, why is your avatar a picture of Angus Robertson?

And just to contribute to the conversation; shipping logistics. I can see the new UK lockdown resulting in a short delay for deliveries as well, so we could actually be looking at the 23rd instead.
Ian Blackford. I guess someone who calls out bullshit in the HoC is someone I can admire.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Time from original launch to hitting europe :-

SNES 1.5 years
PS1 9 months
PS2 6 months
PS3 6 months
PS4 2 weeks
PS5 1 week

Complaining about a week, in this context, seems very 'veruca salt.'

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
There could be many reasons

Slower covid distribution
Jim wanting a launch event for the US and another for EU
Making sure all regions have their stock on time.

Imagine trying to to co-ordinate logistics for the US and Europe for a single day.

A week apart would reduce the pressure.

It's not a big deal, it happen at the start of this generation as well.

Also it the console is bad I have the opportunity to cancel it before I am charged. Same with the games. If one I have preordered reviews poorly I can cancel it before it ships.

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly... they are spouting COVID etc but deliveries have been superb for me throughout the whole year. Heck, wife even got a package from India within 4 days last week. Sure, shipping pallets is different to airmail - but a ship from China to the UK is shorter than to USA...
This is purely so Japan and America has the consoles before the rest of the world as Sony are so far up their bums. I can pretty much assure people that warehouses in the UK have already got stock of the PS5, or it is arriving any moment.

Now... it MAY be a case of delaying it a week due to Xbox Series X launch so not to strain the delivery network. MS and Sony flipped a coin and MS won the toss so they launched earlier.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
As other have said, logistics and network traffic.

Helps ease the load.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Man, you guys don't know how good you got it these days. Compare:
"The PS3 was first released on November 11, 2006 in Japan, November 17, 2006 in North America, and March 23, 2007 in Europe and Australia."
--Wikipedia
That was more than a four month difference and there was no pandemic going on.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Launching in the EU is much more complicated due to having to launch and support 27+ countries where the US is a just single unified country. Staggered release makes sense. They have a finite number of resources.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
But then why they are selling the games and accessories on the 12Th ? If there is no console still ? lmao Why not delay the games and accesoriess too ? It's so frustrating having all the things....but not the PS5.
Logistical reasons again.

Come on it's a week. We're in a pandemic, we can definitely cut companies slack over minor things like this.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'd say logistics and not to give the XSX an entire week alone in the next-gen hype/store shelves (if any).

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
They got Yurop in their pocket, 'merica is a battle ground.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Man, you guys don't know how good you got it these days. Compare:
"The PS3 was first released on November 11, 2006 in Japan, November 17, 2006 in North America, and March 23, 2007 in Europe and Australia."
--Wikipedia
That was more than a four month difference and there was no pandemic going on.
Seriously. One week is nothing compared to the way things were.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
But then why they are selling the games and accessories on the 12Th ? If there is no console still ? lmao Why not delay the games and accesoriess too ? It's so frustrating having all the things....but not the PS5.
Because physical goods take up space and manufacturing is continuous. Simplified but image your warehouse has room for 10 things and your shipping can also only move 10 things at a time. Your options have accessories that are already manufactured take up space while you manufacture the consoles themselves and run out of rooms requiring you you rent more space and ship fewer consoles all at once or slow down production of one or both so you don't run out of space or have to spend more money to get the same number of goods to a place.

The accessories were ready first so they moved them out first placing the onus of their storage on the retailers. And getting it out of the way of the consoles. The accessories were originally scheduled to release with the consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if the date only changed for them because a few retailers probably complained about them taking up too much space in their warehouses for too long.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
Makes no sense to me. Europe is bigger in population and smaller in area than the US. With a proper silk road this would be no problem.