• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do it regularly and do one marathon a year. But I normally never run more then 2.5 hours a week.

It's fun. But I do agree it's real easy to mess your body up if you are not mindfull. Espessally early on for beginners. Your lungs and heart will adapt a lot quicker then your joints will and You can easily push too hard and mess yourself up if not careful.

Be aware. Dont run long distances out of the blue and always do a gradual increase week by week. And always give your body time to heal.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I run till exhaustion just after sunset which currently is a 2.7km in 13 minute atm. Awful at higher speed cardio but I could easily do slow walks since my prior work required at least 50km walking around while doing huge amounts of lifting in 12 hours. It's quite uninteresting but most important to me is that it's hard to see progress. I listen to music with a specific playlist, for entertainment purposes and benchmark so when a song hits a particular moment or ends, I should be hitting minimum specific location or more. But it also helps with rhythms having the right song in place especially for uphill locations. I've had fair share of problems with running with shin splints.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Usually I run 3-5km 2-3 times a week when I start running and my body gets used to running again. That's spring through fall. But for now it's still too cold for comfort in the morning, so I'll wait another month or so before I start again.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I didn't run since last summer. I took back 50% of the 40kg I lost. Time to dust off the Ultraboosts.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Well I do. Rarely. But I work out. Almost everyday. Kickboxing and/or cardio/weightlifting/bodyweight training at home. It just doing one thing for such a long time bores me. I can run 10 km in under 50 minutes if I want to. I can run 20 km or more if I want to. But I never want to.
When I first wanted to loose weight I did it a lot. 10 km runs 5 times a week. Audiobooks helps but even then I get bored out of my mind faster then I get physically tired.
Glad I found other equally good and better exercises that I actually enjoy.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I primarily weight lift. The way my body responds nowadays to running is so inconsistent. I can choose to run twice a week and will encounter runner's pain in my abdomen that becomes excruciating.

Other times I may not run for a month and I won't encounter the pain at all.

Whether I am consistently doing cardio or not seems to have no affect on the frequency of this god damn pain. I don't try to run through it anymore, but that doesn't stop the pain for carrying over for three days. Shit feels like I've done 2,000 sit-ups, that's how sore it becomes.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
I've not ran since leaving the army 15 years ago and I dont miss it. My ankles and knees dont miss it, my back doesn't miss it. My weight does but nothing else does. I wouldn't even run for a bus in the pissing rain. Walking on the other hand I do. All the time everywhere I can.

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Because the doctor said "Don't run and avoid impact activities. If you are going to do cardio, think elliptical, spinning, cycling..."

As much as it royally pisses me off not being able to run anymore (as a sport), I already need to use a knee brace when working out, and the goal is to make them last as much as possible. I have spent the last sumer in rehab and I intend to start cycling outdoors as soon as the weather improves.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'll do it sparingly in the spring summer fall. Otherwise it's the quickest way to lose gains.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Because it's boring AF and it's hard on the knees.

I used to run half marathons (21km) and my regular training was 10km run 3 times a week. You really get some stuff figured out during those runs with nothing to do. Running on concrete/asphalt is hard on the knees/spine too.

I'm not running anymore. I swore I'd never run again, not even if I'm about to shit my pants.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Usually I'm Too tired from walking around at work to run which sucks or when I'm home it's too cold outside/ I don't have a treadmill at home.

A cause a good run feels really good, especially since i gained some water weight but man it's hard to schedule running..lifting after work is so much easier but running? I need some 2 hour rest before that

OP
OP
konka

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Every runner I know gets an injury that takes months to recover from. So I go the gym instead.

There has been a lot of either or comments in this thread. Running doesn't mean you can't also do strength training at the gym. I do strength training 3 times a week and run 4 days a week. Building leg muscle helps with running endurance and decreased chances of injury. Cross training is ideal if people can.

Oct 28, 2017
Because I think walking (especially hiking) is much better for your system. Running seems so high impact, like you wear down your body (joints, feets etc.) for no good reason.

If you run, you should at least do it on natural trails, not on concrete. When I see people running in the city streets, I feel bad for them every time.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Average pace around 7:30. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. As far as breathing, I'm the wrong person to ask. I've been doing this so long that I don't give a second's though to breathing. I run on autopilot pretty much. It's my best thinking time. My legs are moving my body, but my brain is hardly thinking about it anymore.
I have a breathing pattern that also goes on autopilot after a few minutes and sometimes persists after I step off the treadmill. It's funny, sometimes I'll be leaving the gym and my girlfriend will ask me why I'm breathing so deeply in a circular pattern while I'm driving/walking home 😂.

It does not. Multiple studies have shown that there is no correlation between long-distance running and osteoarthritis or knee/hip replacement rates. I can supply a number of them if there's any interest, but the most impressive in terms of sample size (nearly 75,000 individuals) can be found here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377837

Certainly there are people who may be injured by running, either because they have a preexisting condition, run with poor form, or do way too much way too soon. But that's not a strike against running, anymore than someone with scoliosis trying to deadlift 400 lbs on their first day in the gym and injuring their back is a strike against resistance training.
The findings in that study are surprising to me, thanks for sharing.

Flat feet. It hurts pretty early into a run for me. I lift instead.
I do run but I hate it. I just don't think I'm meant to be runner.
It took me over two years to complete couch to 5K after hitting a brick wall many times, and I finally hit 5K two months ago, but every time I've run since I haven't done more than 2K without wanting to stop.

It used to be my breathing that would stop me but now I think it's more of a physical pain/mental thing? I just get so bored as well, even with music/podcasts.

I would much rather just walk. I absolutely love walking.

Ain't no shame in that, I've been running for three years with severely flat feet and I can't consistently do 5K continuously without stopping to walk for a minute. My feet always get to a point where each step literally feels like I'm stepping on a bed of hot nails. I do between 15-20K a week and the sharp pain never goes away.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
The findings in that study are surprising to me, thanks for sharing.
No problem!
I think that the belief that running is intrinsically bad for one's knees comes from anecdotal interactions with specific individuals who certainly do have issues with running. All I'm saying (or rather, the science) is that on a large scale, statistically speaking, a random individual is less likely to experience knee and hip issues if they're a habitual runner.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm 46, used to distance run a lot. Now the knees can't take it. So I kickbox, 4 days a week the last 4 years. I think I burn way more doing this than I ever did running, with the exception of HIIT sprint/job training.

Be careful on them knees, you'll feel it when you're older. But to each their own!

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Cos my name's Barry and I don't unless I'm told to (plus, my legs are tired af from standing around in the hallway all day).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Laziness.

I sometimes motivate myself and get into running for a few weeks, then quit. It's something I really would like to make a constant part of my life.

Walking doesn't cut it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an occasional runner. I go about 2.5 miles 3 or so times a week. Honestly, I found listening to podcasts or books on tape while I run alleviated a lot of the boredom I used to get when I just listened to music. I can kind of zone out and focus on what I'm listening to rather than just wanting the run to be over. Really helped my motivation to keep going.
I never thought to try this since music is used for motivation, hopefully trying podcasts won't alleviate boredom and destroy my motivation for me.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I need to incorporate more cardio into my routine again. I'm 30 years old now and prior to this, I notice more fat loss and definition from exclusively strength training, but as of late, I feel like I've plateaued and can't shed the remaining fat around my abdomen anymore, regardless of my calorie counting. I feel the need to run a few miles every week.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm 40 and I've got an issue in one of my knees which either causes it to swell up or me to overcompensate on stride causing shin splints when I run, I just swim and cycle these days. I miss running though because regardless of how fit I got I always hit a mini wall around 1.2km (mainly because I really struggled with pacing) and the rush from breaking through that into a steady cadence is amazing.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Running is generally not good for you long term that's why. You can get the same benefit by just walking.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I try to run 2 miles 5/6 days a week. I used to dislike it quite a bit, but now I actually sorta enjoy it. I haven't been doing it too long, but it's fun trying to outdo yourself as you get into it and get over that initial "oh my god this is so boring" feeling.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Running is generally not good for you long term that's why. You can get the same benefit by just walking.

I'm not a cardiovascular scientist but walking isn't going to lead to the same degree of larger more capacious lungs or a more powerful vascular system or muscle growth or weight loss.

of course it's not going to give me instant shin splints either.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Used to run but I hurt my knee in December last year and it still hasnt fully recovered yet

I actually miss running; it was the fastest way to trim down for me

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Incorrect. An absolutely gargantuan scientific study disagrees with your opinion.

Ragnar said:
Multiple studies have shown that there is no correlation between long-distance running and osteoarthritis or knee/hip replacement rates. I can supply a number of them if there's any interest, but the most impressive in terms of sample size (nearly 75,000 individuals) can be found here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377837

Dec 2, 2017
I love running. But it took me literally years to start really enjoying it. For the first year or two, I got constant shin splints, bad knees, bad chest. Eventually it got easier, turned into enjoyable, now I can do 3 sessions of 15 km each a week easily. But it's a steep learning curve.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. I am lazy.
Have to be honest about it even if there are so many viable reasons for why I am not doing it.

2. I am too busy.
Work, learning for a professional certification, family.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Because I'm on my feet all day and the last thing I wanna do at 3AM before work or 1PM after work is go running. Doesn't help the weather is shite here all the time. I just wanna go home and relax where it's warm. If I want to excercise I'll go swimming.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I prefer to use a combination of a cross trainer, cycling machine and a rowing machine.

Running just kills my knees plus I have quite painful achillies, so taking any impact away really helps. I never enjoy running anyway unless it's part of a sport, with which I mainly play football.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I find it boring, would much rather do something like play Ring Fit or do Insanity.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I was born with a deformity in my left foot that created more muscle mass and connective tissue than normal as I got older. At least I'm not in a wheelchair like they thought I was going to after two big surgeries in Junior High and High School.