• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer to walk, and I burn enough calories just by existing that I'm perpetually underweight. I care less about burning calories and more about building muscle.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I do. I've run two marathons in the last two years.

Taking a year off this year, though, as I miss actually having a summer and not filling it with training runs. Might do a half or something, but otherwise I'm limiting myself to leisurely 5-10Ks.

Also I miss having all my toenails.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I run off-and-on. It's just a difficult habit to keep up with because it's so fucking boring, and as you get better at it you have to do it MORE.

Music helps a little, but not nearly enough to make it fun. It's the worst kind of exercise.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because my metabolism is absurdly fast already, and my fitness goals have been more centered around packing on weight for a couple years.

I run, just only about once or twice a week, for a few miles each time. I prefer to sprint when I can.

That said, I want to run a marathon one day, but it's mostly a goal for when I'm in my mid-to-late 30's.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I run a little over a mile on the treadmill, as a warmup before I lift weights. That's usually three times per week.

I am thinking of getting into using the pool at my gym. Swimming is one of the best all-body workouts you can do; great for cardio as well. Also I'm an old fuck, so it would be better for the knees than running.

Oct 27, 2017
I started running after my doctor advised me that my BP was high and that I needed to take a little bit better care of myself. It was great for a few months until I fucked up my right knee last year. My knee is STILL fucked up from running.

I changed my diet instead.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I have been getting back into running, at least 2 5k runs a week but I've recently intensified the speed so it's taking some time to adjust. Soon enough I'll get back to 5ks at the new speed and get faster times.

I love running but you do need variety, and plus sometimes you just need a nice walk instead of going all out.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Ran for years but blew out my left knee multiple times and I think this last time I will take the hint.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I run between 15-20 miles a week and yeah, all the complaints about it being boring, non-social and bad for your knees are 100% correct. I balance it out by mixing up when I run on a treadmill versus the outdoors and probably wouldn't be able to do it regularly if it weren't for AirPods and Pocket Casts.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Just started running in December, run 2 miles 3 times a week with cross training on the days in between, been wanting to bump it up to 3 miles every run but my staminas not there yet.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Because I don't have enough free time to run (or substitute other exercise here) in addition to the things I actually want to do and enjoy and already don't have enough time for.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have flat feet. No type of treatment in the military (orthotics, therapy) could eliminate the shin splints, back pain and arch pain. Maybe the insoles made it bearable for another 20 minutes, but eventually in my cardio session I'm gonna be in pain.

So now I opt for swimming, or the machine. And if I am running it's definitely gotta be a stop and go interval deal, like sprints. The constant running of miles is never happening again. It hurt too much.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I can't go back after the elliptical. Elliptical, walking during nice days and free weights is the exercise life for me.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
To answer the OP question: Because I fucked my knees up as a kid between too much sparring and in retrospect stupid demos breaking cinder blocks.

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
I've had surgery in my right knee two times so it's in really bad shape. Running will make it worse, so no.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I used to run a lot more (5+ miles a couple of times a week), but I recently moved to Florida so I've transitioned to kickboxing for my cardio fix. I only run during holidays, vacation or special occasions now.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
For just the next two weeks: because like so often, got injured. And it's my soleus muscle? That's a first.

But I'll keep run-commuting home when I'm better. Shorter runs have increased in enjoyability the more I've done it. But cycling will remain my primary exercise.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Because I played football in highschool which lead to $40k worth of knee surgeries to let me even walk properly. Not going to undo that by tripping on a random sidewalk somewhere.

Plus it's boring as fuck and I don't feel accomplished/get a "runner's high" from it. If I'm traveling in a direction it's to accomplish something, not to putz around for the sake of it. I have too much shit to do to wander around in circles in my free time.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I run when the weather allows. I hate running in the ice and snow. Additionally I'm not a fan of treadmills.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I have always walked a lot (an average of 10 daily kilometers) for the last 20 years or so (I´m 37). That kept my weight in relatively healthy levels despite gaming, eating and drinking more than I should had. That said, two months ago I started running almost every day (between 6 and 15 daily kilometers) and the effects on my body have been surprising. Combining it with boxing and biking, I have been able to lose 12 kilos in that time span (I started at 95, currently at 83, final objective is to stabilize around 78). My stamina and self-esteem have both vastly improved.

I even downloaded some apps (Adidas Runtastic, etc.) to keep a better check on my running routine. Next objective: buying quality, specialized running shoes.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Well right now, because my ankle is broken. After that, it'll be because my knees aren't great, so the elliptical will work better for me because it's lower impact.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I'm not trying to discount anyone's knee pain but I've been running between 50-70 miles a week for years now, and my knees are 100% pain free. So it doesn't affect everyone. Right now I'm running 10-12 miles almost every morning, 90% of it on asphalt and 10% on concrete, which is not the ideal surface for running. And I have zero knee issues.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Between soccer, basketball and tennis I get more than enough cardio. Running by itself is boring as fuck and a waste of my time tbh

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Because I am on my feet and walking around all day for work. Often times pushing/pulling weight while I do.

Also I'm stength training, and running can interfere with your muscle recovery after doing barbell squat sets.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'm incredibly lazy and I find it boring. Competitive squash was the only sport / exercise I have ever been able to get into.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not trying to discount anyone's knee pain but I've been running between 50-70 miles a week for years now, and my knees are 100% pain free. So it doesn't affect everyone. Right now I'm running 10-12 miles almost every morning, 90% of it on asphalt and 10% on concrete, which is not the ideal surface for running. And I have zero knee issues.
After running for a while, you tend to develop a better sense of pacing and eventually learn to fix posture mistakes such as heel striking. I have severely flat feet so even after 3 years of running 15-20 miles a week, my feet still develop blisters where they're the most abnormally flat. But even still, once I learned how to properly self regulate my pace and naturally began fore foot running, my results increased dramatically while my "recharge times" shrank.

What's your pace btw for those daily runs? Do you have any advice for breathing techniques and/or pain mitigation?

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Knees bro, that are messed up from too much basketball. I gotta do other forums of cardio. Even dancing is better for me.