• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
lmfao

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Reminds me of absolutely dreadful sci-fi movie called Starcrash that featured boarding parties launched onto ships via missiles.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Why not just have drone-level control systems to allow a remote pilot to fly the missile where they want instead of physically putting a human inside?

we're in an era where we don't need humans in our planes.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I think the last time paratroopers were deployed was in the 60s. If you wanted to do it now you could consider using a super-sonic aircraft with maybe a detachable section that uses a modern ejection and para-shoot system?

The biggest problem is getting the troopers clear of the aircraft. You probably need to give them oxygen if as you would probably need to do it at high altitude.

you could eject a pressurised cabin (filled with soldiers) with large para-shoots to get around these problems.

OP
OP
AzureJet

AzureJet

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is not how missiles work...
The missile itself is not designed to explode, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
Why not just have drone-level control systems to allow a remote pilot to fly the missile where they want instead of physically putting a human inside?

we're in an era where we don't need humans in our planes.
I'm not talking about evasive missiles that impact and destroy a target. I'm talking about a missile that zips through enemy territory and then safely jettison the soldier inside.

I'm envisioning it being used by special forces for times when time is critical.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
Hear me out.

It must be really risky flying a huge and slow paratrooper plane over an enemy country. Almost impossible if there are still anti air defenses on the ground.

Wouldn't it be better to put soldiers into missles that could be launched from a jet? If we made it fast enough and used enough of them then there's no way to reasonably counter it. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Edit: I should've clarified that they riding INSIDE the missile, not outside.

You basically want one fusellage, one cockpit, one night-vision/navigation equipement, one fuel tank and one engine per soldier and per operation. All of it non reusable.

That's just not cost-effective.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Hear me out.

It must be really risky flying a huge and slow paratrooper plane over an enemy country. Almost impossible if there are still anti air defenses on the ground.

Wouldn't it be better to put soldiers into missles that could be launched from a jet? If we made it fast enough and used enough of them then there's no way to reasonably counter it. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Edit: I should've clarified that they riding INSIDE the missile, not outside.
Just the acceleration would kill them.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Nobody in the Army is going to let you shove them into a rocket.

Now the Marines on the other hand...

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
You joke, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading about a similar system that is used by US Navy SEALS.
The SEALs have their own mini-sub. It's pretty cool. We used to transport it to various locales back in the day.

From what I remember, they had some James Bond-looking shit that helped them move in the water, but one dude said they didn't use it too much. That was back in the '90s though.

Oct 28, 2017
The missile itself is not designed to explode, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

I'm not talking about evasive missiles that impact and destroy a target. I'm talking about a missile that zips through enemy territory and then safely jettison the soldier inside.

I'm envisioning it being used by special forces for times when time is critical.
No you're correct mostly having a harmless jab apologies, the missile itself is not designed to explode (that would be the explosive material it carries and it tends to be pretty small, hence name like warheads). Although it can be but it would be pretty redundant to design it to shrapnel given even the shrapnel should be destroyed by the blast. I guess you could kamikaze a manned missile without any issues. The biggest issue I see other than remoting or AI'ing a drone/remote missile which would be "simpler/cheaper/more ethical" is making a cockpit resistant to a ground zero blast. The material would have to protect the pilot 100% but also not make the needed propulsion ridiculous. Not to mention you probably couldn't use this on enemy ground since they would be able to recover the cockpit and PoW your solider, not a good idea. Also the amount G's missiles experience.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

I think real life isn't like the plot of MGS3.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Now that I think of it, catapulting surplus segways and roombas onto a facility would be pretty good for sowing chaos.

Oct 29, 2017
So like ODSTs from the Halo universe? Where they drop down in pods to get to the LZ incredibly fast and, theoretically, accurately?

Those pods don't drop quite as fast as a missle would fly, though. Missiles would probably be too dangerous. Drop pods being launched from aircraft flying high above the dropzone, though? I mean it's not that crazy to think about. But then there's a reason ODSTs are called "Helljumpers".

Oct 28, 2017
Extending my post further about the Zip Missile Idea. I think such a design would be a cross between a missile and fighter jet. You'd most likely want some (ultra-)dense superalloy maybe, due to impact which becomes a problem with flight (heavy things don't like to fly). So to me this sounds like a kinetic cutting weapon moving at ridiculous speeds to cut things on impact with very literal (LOL) edgy design, I guess you could cut things via heat ala lightsabers. Just for humor, some kind of Tungsten Superalloy may be a possible solution for this. It could and maybe even need to be manned at the start but would most likely move to be a remote/autonomous machine for obvious reasons. Honestly while such a thing may be theoretically possible in the future, it exists purely in the realm of Science Fiction today.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Certain threads should result in mandatory account deletion and a call to the authorities

This is probably one of them.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Any large-scale airborne deployment these days is going to be done by helicopters coming in fast and low. Modern AA is too effective for a Market-Garden style mass drop.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to avoid enemy air defenses, you could instead fly really low under the enemy radar, which would let you go slower and not have to worry about turning your passengers into goo accelerating\decelerating. Then the basic aerodynamics of a human-size shell are a way easier, and you don't have to deal with pressurizing the thing or otherwise keeping your passengers warm and conscious.

Change the propulsion to something like a turbine engine, and you could even make it reusable, and therefore a lot more cost-efficient. At that point you could probably ditch the mother craft, and make it's own thing by letting it land by directing the engine power down. From there you could size it up a bit to carry a few more passengers and stick some guns on it to let it provide fire support. Sounds awesome, actually.

UH-60_2nd_Squadron%2C_2nd_Cavalry_Regiment_%28cropped%29.jpg