• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I'd prefer eSports.

There should be a world soccer league going on right now.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era: "sports without human interaction would be the most boring thing ever"

also Era: "when's the next round of Marbula One?"

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'd rather watch the athletes play the sport game live. Maybe co-op vs co-op, that would be fun. Switch the camera to the athletes every now and then like they'd highlight the spectators or the bench in live sport matches, or when something happens like a goal, incident, etc.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I think replacing sportsmans with automation is an interesting goal and would be a society changing event.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Man I don't even watch sports and I can't imagine anything more boring than watching the computer play.

I'd watch a bunch of players who have never touched a controller long before I'd watch that.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this would be about CPU overclocking battles, I might tune in for 5 minutes of that

Morgenstern

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather watch the athletes play the sport game live. Maybe co-op vs co-op, that would be fun. Switch the camera to the athletes every now and then like they'd highlight the spectators or the bench in live sport matches, or when something happens like a goal, incident, etc.

Something like this is happening in charity fundraising tournament form: https://www.engadget.com/fifa-20-stay-and-play-cup-coronavirus-relief-103028460.html

EA Sports has launched a FIFA 20 esports soccer tournament to raise cash for coronavirus charities, featuring some of the biggest teams and players in Europe. The Stay and Play Cup will be streamed on EA's Twitch channel and match up teams like Borussia Dortmund, Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City. The fun angle is that real footballers from those clubs like Trent Alexander-Arnold and Benjamin Mendy will match up against each other.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I came to post the same thing. If I play sports in real life people will think I'm cool. If I play sports in a video game people are worried I'm a gamer...I tend to stay away from judgemental people so I don't here, "Oh, you're a gamer? I didn't know that."

I mean, I like to play games and all, but I don't see the issue with finding someone cooler for playing a real life sport than a video game version of it. Like, people shouldn't have a negative perception of playing games, though I honestly don't know anyone in real life that would, but I don't see much wrong with finding playing a sport in real life cooler than the video game version.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Because nobody is interested in CPU playing against CPU?

Networks are airing previous competitions, historical documentaries and more premier esports competitions.

Again, nobody cares about CPU vs CPU, not even the biggest esports viewers give a shit about it.
Yeah nobody is interested in that ever.

Oh fucking wait, what is Saltybet?

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
Can we not pretend that CPU vs CPU is the appeal of SaltyBet and not the stupid gambling and Mexican Goku vs Ronald McDonald vs Jazzhands meme matchups?

These CPU vs CPU streams almost always succeed solely because there's some sort of effort or zany concept behind it, and even then they're still incredibly niche. None of those would translate to an actual TV audience.

Except for Marbula One.

edit: don't get me wrong; this thread did 100% convince me to open up SaltyBet on my goof-off monitor while i'm working from home today

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about CPU vs CPU but I did have a thought the other day that recording a match in say FIFA and then doing post production to give it cuts and camera angles like a real game plus real commentary would be interesting. The games try to give this sort of presentation real time while they are being played but it still falls short for playability reasons. Have 2 players play then turn it into a real looking broadcast after.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I saw a 2K game of NBA players a few days ago on a sports channel and thought it was really interesting, even though I know nothing about the game.

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like the type of thing someone who doesn't watch sports would actually think is a suitable replacement. Why would I give a shit about watching CPUs play each other?

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Fifa/PES are the only options we have for football and both are not even close to replicating a half decent match.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
FFTBattleground is pretty good.

It's basically FF Tactics with a bit of SaltyBet.

They do an AI Tournament with 8 teams of 4 units each and the winner fights the Champion Team.

You can bet on the teams and all that...(there's a bit more to it than that though)

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone looking for stuff like this should look through youtube for old VGCW clips and the Smash Brothers CPUCS. I find it interesting how what would usually be just a kind of janky match between 2 CPUs can become compelling with just a little narrative framing.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
NBC Sports Washington is showing simulated Wizards and Capitals games on NBA2K20 and NHL20. Pretty sure both are CPU vs CPU. The Wiz games are game's commentary but the Caps games is live commentary from our two regular guys, which is amazing.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Because sports games are trash simulations. Bleacher Report just did some Madden tournament and it was shit.

It would be fun to see those FIFA glitches make their way onto ESPN, though.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
There are computer vs computer chess tournaments broadcast on Twitch. It's higher level than any human tournament.

It's also boring as fuck to watch.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Because they're boring to watch.

People try to be smart asses by posting SaltyBet, but they forget that the concept is fun because of the overall chaos created by the bets, the chat, the ridiculous roster of fighters...

Try watching the CPU play any EA game and you'll fall asleep 5 minutes in.

Last edited:

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Been playing sports games on PC and consoles since the early 90s ...
Not once have I watched a CPU vs CPU match.

On second thought, I did stop and watch for 30 seconds whenever I walked by a Virtua Soccer machine.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I mean, I like to play games and all, but I don't see the issue with finding someone cooler for playing a real life sport than a video game version of it. Like, people shouldn't have a negative perception of playing games, though I honestly don't know anyone in real life that would, but I don't see much wrong with finding playing a sport in real life cooler than the video game version.

I was making a comment about people looking down at people because they game.

The people I am referencing only know I play video games, not that I played a number of sports for over 30 years IRL.

I don't care what others think is a cool factor, if that was the case I would be a basket case trying to cater to every person who has a differing opinion on what exactly makes something cool.