• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew they weren't selling much these days, but damn their market share has dropped significantly since 2013/14. Still, this looks really good and I'd consider buying one if I needed a new phone.

7OVmrTG.png

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With a headphone jack, you would think audiophiles would flock to it... but then again they are probably the 0% lol

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
The price to performance ratio makes them not worth it when cheaper phones perform better. Sony makes the best camera lenses, but the picture quality is still behind other competitors. For $1200 the Xperia 1 II should have incredible pics...and they're just average.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Not an Android guy but Sony's phones always look good and I've never seen anyone with one.
How much are they?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've never seen the appeal for anyone who isn't a camera nerd (90% of which would probably prefer to buy a DSLR). Sony used to be the only game in town when it came to water resistance and had cool experimental stuff like the Xperia Play, but that's all in the past unfortunately.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I have an Xperia 1 and I don't know why you would buy an Xperia phone if you don't want a 21:9 screen.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I thought he was going to say price. $950 isn't competitive.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
I do buy Sony smart phones have done for years, think the last non Sony phone I got was Google's first smart phone. Always liked Sony phones even before the smartphone days, my favourite was the W950. Sony phones are always a little different to everything else on the market which appeals to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last time a Sony smartphone was appealing to me was 2014

I had the Xperia Z2, which was really good at the time. Prolly one of my fave phones.

I thought he was going to say price. $950 isn't competitive.

Far too expensive for what they offer.

Shit, you're right. I just checked the price here in Norway and it's $1300. Oof.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, Sony also couldn't enable the fingerprint sensor on their NA models due to a patent issue for years. When every other Android flagship and the iPhone had fingerprint unlocks it really hurt the value proposition of those phones.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Also, are they really sold in the US? Don't think I've ever seen what for sale at Verizon.

I'm in the US and I wonder if part of it is that they aren't sold directly by carriers under their monthly installment plans* which might be how most people are choosing their phones. You can buy them unlocked at retailers though.

* = tbh I only really checked Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen one pushed by the big carriers and I've never seen them involved in trade in or family plan deals. I would guess very few people pay $1000+ all at the same time for any phone.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
They've never had good or consistent carrier support in the US so it's basically made them a nonstarter here for the last 10 years.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Have had Xperia phones for my last 3 upgrade cycles I think, and they've always served me well (currently on the XZ3). I'm not 100% sold on the newer 21:9 models, but I'll probably at least consider them next time I'm due an upgrade.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I bought an Xperia Z several years ago and I will never buy a Sony phone again, despite loving everything else Sony produces.

Reasons:
-Software is garbage. Sony's UI is trash on the phone and it would often hang or crash, I lost all the photos I took on the phone because the drive corrupted somehow. I should've put a standard Android version or something on it but I'm not a software genius.
-The thing got hot as fuck. Probably related to the software issues.

Positives:
Sony makes beautiful and pleasurable to hold hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
My last phone was a Sony Z3, and I enjoyed it well enough, but as others have said their phones are just too expensive for what they offer.

stoff

Oct 27, 2017
Still have my green Z5.
I don't care about the specs. I just think they make the best looking smartphones.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my thoughts:

sony ericsons were shoddy and damaged the brand
they focus on the wrong priorities (4k displays, long ass candy bar phones)
the sharp edged hyper square physical design aesthetic isn't that appealing
people seem to prefer notches/holepunches to thinker top and bottom bezels
they had an overopinionated skin (maybe this has changed)
no high refresh rates

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
My Xperia Z3C was great for the most part. Big complaints were the build quality (headphone jack broke, waterproofing caps broke) and the terrible camera (4K video was excellent though).

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've stuck with Sony phones for several devices and I doubt I'll switch to another brand any time soon. Just don't really feel the need to.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Sony's brand image can handle being low or even medium priced. But if they did a truly compact phone at a low to midrange price (Pixel a range?) they could carve out a niche. Nobody makes small phones.

Z3 Compact has been my favorite phone by far. I would use it today if it were a little faster and the camera worked better on open source firmware.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I didn't know Sony still made phones until I started watching Cobra Kai and the guy pulled out his Sony Ericsson phone. LOL

Really took me out of the show. Talk about unrealistic!

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Also, are they really sold in the US? Don't think I've ever seen what for sale at Verizon.

This. I've been with Verizon for years. Every time an article pops up about a Sony phone I definitely consider it over Samsung, and then when it's time to buy I discover Sony isn't making phones for Verizon. I'm sure I could buy an unlocked one and blah blah blah but at that price it's no longer in consideration vs the latest Galaxy or Pixel.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of answers, but the answer is painfully obvious

For flagship phones that cost $500+, I suspect the vaaaast majority of owners do so via a monthly carrier plan.
For whatever reason, I am unaware of any carrier offering a Sony (in the US at least), unlike back in 2010ish when I believe some Xperia phones were still offered (last one may have been the Xperia Play).

Outside carriers... either you go for the niche ultra high end, or the contract free mid range where all the chinese brands compete...

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
This. I've been with Verizon for years. Every time an article pops up about a Sony phone I definitely consider it over Samsung, and then when it's time to buy I discover Sony isn't making phones for Verizon. I'm sure I could buy an unlocked one and blah blah blah but at that price it's no longer in consideration vs the latest Galaxy or Pixel.
Yeah, I can buy a Galaxy S10 for 425$ on a monthly plan of 15$ a month or I can spend 1000 on a sony unlocked......... Not really much of a choice.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last Sony phone I had was the Z3. God tier phone. They're just too expensive now to justify unfortunately.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
My Xperia Z3 compact was so far the only phone where I managed to damage the glass, and I managed to break both front and back in different instances.
The front basically self desintegrated in my pocket.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too expensive for what they offer, and they don't offer their phones lmao. They struggle with releasing them.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm in the US and I wonder if part of it is that they aren't sold directly by carriers under their monthly installment plans* which might be how most people are choosing their phones. You can buy them unlocked at retailers though.

* = tbh I only really checked Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T.

This plays a major part.

In regards to T-Mobile, there's network compatibility issues too. The Xperia I ii (dumb naming scheme aside) lacks T-Mobile's 600mhz band (71), which is the backbone of their 5G low band network.

If Sony did a better job of marketing their phones, got them into US stores and had better network support, they'd sell better.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the Z1 I had, but yeah Oneplus came with GOOD AFFORDABLE phones, and that was it.

No one wants a 4K screen on a phone sony, especially if you charge premium for it.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i bought one once and returned it after not liking it all. since then i never even heard of a good one.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Been exclusively getting Sony phones for about 7 years now i think.

They make some really nice phones and price wise it has made no difference since I'm in the UK and it's just a contract deal.

Currently have the Xperia 1(2) and it's very nice. Only thing I miss is having the finger print reader on the back like my last one as it felt really natural to unlock and I had far less errors with it reading it than I currently do.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony has been replaced by Samsung and Apple for high end consumer electronics as a brand.

I don't really see many commercials or ads for Sony products other than the PS.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact in 2014 I believe, and it was the worst piece of shit phone I ever purchased. The processing quality was abysmal. I was happy when I smashed it by accident in 2015, which gave me an excuse to buy another phone.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Price, software support, naming conventions, lack of marketing, they're all awful.