• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I think movement is just as important as the shooting. But it seems most fps especially go for the barebones sprint and.... well.... that's it for movement options. Maybe a slide or something... But it's like they're scared to add more badass movement!!???

It sucks even more when you are being chased by some tanky melee mob and you are just back peddling. It just seems so stupid. Why not have a dash button so you can back dash? Multidirectional? Air dash? Shadow Warrior 2 comes to mind as being one of the few that has a plethora of movement options.

When you play multiplayer shooters online, and you're shooting another player, doesn't it look stupid to just be wiggling back and forth until one of you die? Trying haphazardly jouk bullets??? Why not instead of bunny hopping, you have double jumps? Why not instead of the stupid wiggling, you have an actual side dash?

Wouldn't that be super? Plus, it's more funner right???????

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Most modern shooters are designed around console gameplay, and aiming with an analog stick isn't accurate enough to work with rapid movement (especially enemies). It would lead to a lot of frustration, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
I think movement is just as important as the shooting. But it seems most fps especially go for the barebones sprint and.... well.... that's it for movement options. Maybe a slide or something... But it's like they're scared to add more badass movement!!???

It sucks even more when you are being chased by some tanky melee mob and you are just back peddling. It just seems so stupid. Why not have a dash button so you can back dash? Multidirectional? Air dash? Shadow Warrior 2 comes to mind as being one of the few that has a plethora of movement options.

When you play multiplayer shooters online, and you're shooting another player, doesn't it look stupid to just be wiggling back and forth until one of you die? Trying haphazardly jouk bullets??? Why not instead of bunny hopping, you have double jumps? Why not instead of the stupid wiggling, you have an actual side dash?

Wouldn't that be super? Plus, it's more funner right???????
it introduces randomness.
and that isnt good in a shooter

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
i hate using the sticks as buttons to run. the sticks are awful as buttons. better question is why isnt full button mapping standard on consoles, as that would fix this as well.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
You'd probably like Warframe. The dodge roll in it also blocks damage, and you can do it in midair, and you can double jump and other acrobatic stuff.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
it introduces randomness.
and that isnt good in a shooter

Huh? Rolling, dashing and dodging aren't elements of randomness. You can dash and roll in Gears, use it skillfully to outmaneuver your opponent or they read your movement and kill you for it.

It's actually the exact opposite, adds an additional element of skill.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I've always wanted something like this in Borderlands , the slide in 3 is a step in the right direction I guess

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
I just bought Dusk and that game has a fucking outstanding slide. Instant momentum boost if you're already moving, and it takes you below a lot of enemy projectiles. I'll actually go as far as saying it's better than the slide in Bulletstorm or FEAR.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
If Halo 5's reception tells me anything, people don't want extended movement options in their shooters

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People sleeping on Halo 5 Guardians: The Thread.

Love them or hate them the implementation of Spartan Abilities was really fucking well executed e.g. Thruster in the OP's face.

I wasn't a fan of all of them being implemented but the movement and combat options provided by combinations of sprint, slide, thruster was great.

For me the radar being smaller allowed some crazy quick approaches, I would have preferred maps that promotes inertia build ups and the larger older radar for early detection of enemies skilled with such movement abilities.

Thruster being 360 directional in the air was stupid in combat but off a grounded footing to me is far better e.g. you should not have been able to instantly change your vector in the air with full inertia switching and length being equal in all directions. Where you build that vector change up with strafe, movement and direction matched it would be more effective. For example slower and less effective if you tried to alter your direction 180 degrees. However if you thrust in the same direction it would be more effective. Same goes for off the ground or in the air, less effective in the air and giving more predictability to the shooting of enemies during engagements. Halo of old kept in tact more.

Last edited:

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I liked phase shift in Titanfall 2, especially when you fought another person with it as well. Combined with the other movement options it made fights a little more interesting. Same with the grapple.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through Doom VFR is awesome for this...I use the controller with everything cranked to the max, with smooth turning. But I use the teleport mainly for rapid short dashes. It gets crazy fast and insanely fun. I've got pretty damn solid VR legs, but sometimes the game moves so fast it gives me a minor headache. But I don't stop. Doom won't let me stop

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Think about it for longer than 5 seconds.

FPS is defined by the fact that most of the the space around you is obscured. How useful is a dodge into direction you can't see?..
Not sure I follow. There are games that already have this mechanic. Elaborate please, because this post implies those games have a useless mechanic?

Witchfire will be cool.

Oh shit what the fuck is this??!? Wow this looks cool!

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Amen. Dodging in Halo 5 remains one of my favorite additions to the Halo series.

If Infinite could only retain one feature from Halo 5, it'd be dodging. The ultra-fast response, clean "doosh" sound effect when the thrusters kick in, and the immediate acceleration and near instant-deceleration make it feel so good. Need to close a gap? Juke an opponent while carrying the flag? Avoid falling to your death? Just hit B, and you're in the clear.
Most shooters have primarily hitscan weapons so it would make no sense.
Halo 5 and Advanced Warfare say otherwise. I didn't like Advanced Warfare's multiplayer, but if there's one thing I remember from that game, it's that the extreme speed at which players could move vertically and laterally made tracking opponents in gunfights far more challenging. Halo 5 had the right idea, keeping the FOV wide enough that you couldn't dodge so quickly and so far that you left your opponent's field of vision.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
COD Advanced Warfare had a pretty good dodge-mechanic.
People hated it.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Dirty Bomb had this but it was too good for this world. Hit-scan is not an argument against a good movement system as it makes tracking much more important/difficult.
Think about it for longer than 5 seconds.

FPS is defined by the fact that most of the the space around you is obscured. How useful is a dodge into direction you can't see?..
Very useful unless you completely lack spatial awareness.

Last edited:

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
DOOM Eternal, friend.
That's great and all, but haven't they lowered the base movement speed also? It am I mistaken? I'm surprised there isn't more uproar about this.
Halo 5 thrust was perfect. I don't care what the haters say.
Love them or hate them the implementation of Spartan Abilities was really fucking well executed e.g. Thruster in the OP's face.

I wasn't a fan of all of them being implemented but the movement and combat options provided by combinations of sprint, slide, thruster was great.

For me the radar being smaller allowed some crazy quick approaches, I would have preferred maps that promotes inertia build ups and the larger older radar for early detection of enemies skilled with such movement abilities.

Thruster being 360 directional in the air was stupid in combat but off a grounded footing to me is far better e.g. you should not have been able to instantly change your vector in the air with full inertia switching and length being equal in all directions. Where you build that vector change up with strafe, movement and direction matched it would be more effective. For example slower and less effective if you tried to alter your direction 180 degrees. However if you thrust in the same direction it would be more effective. Same goes for off the ground or in the air, less effective in the air and giving more predictability to the shooting of enemies during engagements. Halo of old kept in tact more.
Amen. Dodging in Halo 5 remains one of my favorite additions to the Halo series.

If Infinite could only retain one feature from Halo 5, it'd be dodging. The ultra-fast response, clean "doosh" sound effect when the thrusters kick in, and the immediate acceleration and near instant-deceleration make it feel so good. Need to close a gap? Juke an opponent while carrying the flag? Avoid falling to your death? Just hit B, and you're in the clear.

Halo 5 and Advanced Warfare say otherwise. I didn't like Advanced Warfare's multiplayer, but if there's one thing I remember from that game, it's that the extreme speed at which players could move vertically and laterally made tracking opponents in gunfights far more challenging. Halo 5 had the right idea, keeping the FOV wide enough that you couldn't dodge so quickly and so far that you left your opponent's field of vision.
Agreed with all of you! Thrust needs to stay. I'll be seriously disappointed if they remove it.
The slide was dope too but I have a feeling they might remove sprint, so not sure what's gonna happen.

Generally, I loved Halo 5's gameplay/mobility/Spartan Abilities (maybe except that charge, they can remove that). Hope they don't go too classic for Infinite...

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Anyone remember teleporting through walls and stuff in that Shadowrun fps that no one played? It looks chaotic yet glorious.

Oct 27, 2017
This mechanic is great and most FPS these days focus too much on hitscan instead of dodge which is why we don't see it much. Hopefully DOOM 5 is able to popularize it.
That's great and all, but haven't they lowered the base movement speed also? It am I mistaken? I'm surprised there isn't more uproar about this.
Doubt it.

It is probably the FOV that makes it feel slower. In the PC gameplay the game was fast as hell. A similiar case happened with DOOM 2016.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
That's Unreal Tournament. Too bad that Unreal Tournament is dead because Epic would rather spend millions on whatever than a single buck on Unreal Tournament.